I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Rode BS yesterday. Best views we have had there in a long time. LA, Pasadena, San Clemente island, all visible. The canyon was nice and green, it is a gem. Once past the trail to the falls, the fire road became relatively quiet.
    When we came down, we saw a group sitting on top of large rock outpost in the middle of the canyon. Seemed quite dangerous and definitely off trail. Obviously no rangers beyond the OC Parks line, so clearly a bit of a free for all.

Fueledbyex8, mike, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Recovery cruise from home.
    20190122_094523-2016x1512.jpg 20190122_094422-2016x1512.jpg 20190122_085202-2016x1512.jpg IMG_20190122_121511_333.jpg

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    3728' would be an epic day for me that I would boast about for months.

I sooooo suck compared to most of you. :bang: :oops:

4. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Great reporting @Old&InTheWay . Only thing I could add is how freaking cold it was at Beeks. My cold beverage kept me warm.;)

5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    STOP IT!

Stkx66, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    3000 at main divide vs 3000 at oaks or aliso is a bit misleading...
    Long sustained climbs r easier than mathis or 3 bs over n over again...

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yes and no

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Finally got back into the normal swing of things with a Tuesday afternoon spin at the Oaks.

Rolled out a little early when i thought I had a lull in the wind. Yeah, no.....fought a headwind all the way there, all the way up Oak and for most of the ride.

Legs felt heavy....maybe it's being back on the SS. Trails are pretty beat up from the rain....which is fine with me.

Suz headed out a bit later to suffer in silence and she eased back into riding the SS.

I called it quits early due to the wind and cold.

Still a fun ride.

9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Haha.. when things gets steep on main divide.. i just walk... aliso el moro oaks.. i always climb and forego the walking...
    Too many people watching!

Oaks is callin!

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Rwanda training. Not really but that's what I'm going to call it. I wanted to get a big ride in this week while I was off and Wednesday was the day I wanted to do it. Unfortunately Jennifer needed me home by 11 so if I wanted to get a decent ride in I would be leaving before the sun came up. Thankfully my buddy Tony prefers early a.m. starts. We cruised in the beginning then gradually picked up the pace. We would push it then cruise then push it some more. Our route was pretty much all fire road and doubletrack. From home, over into Cheeseboro, Las Virgenes Open Space, back into Cheeseboro then home. I returned home at 10:50 and it turns out she didn't need me home after all. Oh well. It gave me a reason to push a little harder today.
    20190123_082354-2016x1512.jpg 20190123_082404-2016x1512.jpg 20190123_082419-2016x1512.jpg IMG_20190123_134414_632.jpg

11. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    floop lunch... all is good... mud mostly gone...

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Those green hills...!

13. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I rode my bike today but nobody saw me do it. Does that count? ;)

Oh I did cut a couple of downed trees here and there.

Before
    CFFDCE03-9929-47FE-93FE-682DDE516573.jpeg

After
    1BAF7CE5-89CB-4969-9475-1315FC9F8E4D.jpeg

14. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I got a Wahoo Elemnt, took it for a test spin today on my neighborhood ride. I like it thus far. Now I can go get lost this weekend.

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

So now there is only the big over-under tree down on Valley Forge?

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
  17. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Yea I contemplated that one but probably best left for a sawyer

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Had a nice workout ride after work through ChLoop/GSC. 8.47 miles, 1617' gain.

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    STT out to Old Camp with @mtnbikej ... We got a little worried at the beginning of STT. The county widened the first couple hundred yards... probably to the point that the county land ends? It was wide and sandy, but it was over quickly.

Nice ride out to Old Camp... I played single speeder for the Modjeska Grade and Little Mustard climbs. Three months with gears has made me really soft. The 32x21, which is my normal gearing, felt like 52x20. :Roflmao

The temps dropped as we approached the small lake at the Cadillac turn- mid 40s the rest of the way to Old Camp. Fun run back down to the Luge... Until... It was a no doubter. I knew that from 100 yards back. My Rekon 2.2 lasted exactly one downhill on Main Divide. I know not to run those tires anymore... I avoid them like the plague. I bet Jason does too after this! :p The 2.4, on the other hand, has been great.

2.2 Rekon. Looks brand new... Except for the 1.5 inch slice in the sidewall.
    IMG_1015.jpg

Fun run down the luge... Even on the non-squishy bike.

16 miles and 2700 feet...

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    How come it's always J fixing everyone else' break downs? ;)

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think I fixed J's brakes once. Or maybe it was Steve's brakes squeaking.
    Wrightwood.

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ha-Hem... I'll take my apology now. I did not have a flat this evening.

Although... I did get my Hightower rear wheel back before the ride. Spokes tightened and checked. :thumbsup:

23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ok... That was mine. I would have left it until I got home. :oops:

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And ruin our pristine quiet with the incessant squeak? Not if I had anything to say about it mister!

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That's about what you said at the time! :laugh:

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Mixed it up and headed to Old Camp tonight. Back on the SS for me.

Before the ride, I swapped out the worn out Rekon Race that I used and abused on many rocky trails without issue. But it was starting to slip so I mounted a Rekon 2.25 that I got from @cajun ....he didn't like it. Suz has been riding her's almost a year...without issue.

So we headed up. Pace was social. Gotta get me SS legs back. Had the trail to ourselves.

Quick turn around above Old Camp.....you could hear the water flowing down in Old Camp. Turned on the lights and headed down.

Gotta say, the Rekon wasn't very confidence inspiring.....the Rekon Race even worn out had better cornering manners.

About 2/3rd's the way down Goat Hill to the Luge I tagged a small rock.....it was flat before I could even touch the brake lever.

Yeah.....there is no plugging that.
    IMG_4431.jpg

Booted and tubed it and good enough to go. Took it easy down the Luge and the cut was expanding and bulging. The Luge sucks when you try to go slow.

I'll be replacing mine as well as Suz's Rekon with something more.....reliable.

Still a fun ride.

mike, Tom the Bomb, Obsidian and 16 others like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    You know what I said is accurate, even if it does not apply in this case. You're not denying it, are you? :Roflmao

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    That looks pretty gnarly. I thought I was hard on tires. :whistling:

mike, UPSed, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  29. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oaks lunch... little extended lunch..hills are alive with the sound of.... bees! Whew thousands of em on... yeah bumble bee...
    Green hills..red dirt! Windy deer..had to lean in.. pr hawk..almost flew off the bike.. suspension ok..just going too fast and not holding on... couldnt help it..dirt good...
    No one there... all to myself... 6 downhills for lunch n back to work....i love it!
    I dont mind sharing..go get some..dirt aint gonna last...

Redman, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After the SCV MTB Group ride at Tapia Bobby Acuna of Foes Racing invited me out to ride Monroe Truck Trail sometime this week. Thursday would work the best for him and for me it didn't matter since I'm on vacation.
    Met up at the shop at 7am and got the nickel tour before we left. It's amazing that that little shop in Glendora produces what they do. Everything is designed and fabricated inhouse and I think they could easily compete with the giants out there if they wanted to.
    We rolled from the shop which was a 10-15 minute road ride to the trailhead. The trail is in great shape considering the rain they got. The rocky creek bed had a few water crossings but all were ridable without getting wet.
    The climb is pretty mellow for the most part. Only a few short stingers along the way.
    Once we got to the top we took a few pics then headed down at a fast but controlled pace. I think Bobby could ride the trail in his sleep. It was awesome to follow a local on an unknown to me trail. MTB Project shows 16.1 miles and 2,319 feet. Riding from the shop we ended up with 20.9 miles and 2,696 feet.
    20190124_084114-2016x1512.jpg 20190124_084119-2016x1512.jpg 20190124_114127-2188x1641.jpg 20190124_084938-2016x1512.jpg 20190124_094526-2016x1512.jpg