I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yesterday, I rode....first time in a week.

Knew Maple Springs was gonna be a zoo, so....with all this Harding TT talk that has been going on lately, that was the choice. @Faust29 and the Professor rolled late at 8:00. It warmed up quick. Some mud and water puddles here and there. Legs took a while to show up. Not sure how the pace felt....maybe it was fast, maybe we were on PR pace....but unfortunately that all when out the window when someone got a flat going uphill at 2.5 MPH.....yes, @DangerDirtyD you aren't the only one that gets flats on fire roads. My tires were fine...the tires on the Professor's bike were fine. Hmmmmm, wonder who it was? Well we plugged the puncture and continued on.

Temps were nice up high....even a little breezy. The waterfalls at Upper Harding were a treat, we didn't think they would be tehre. At 4 Corners, lots of yahoos on motos out there.....you can tell they are flying when you hear the rev's from way down the canyon. The ride across Main Divide was uneventful....save for the mud bog at the top of Bedford. It's gonna be downright dangerous when it dries out.

Just as we made it to the top of Motorway, we noticed another group starting the climb up Motorway. One last rider rolled just as we got there. As they all crested the climb we started up. There group was kinda stopped all over the place. I kinda took off after we reached the helicopter pad. Caught he back of the pack along the scree field up top. This is where we say the guy on the ebike pushing it....on a flat section of trail, heading up. Myself and the last rider that took off got stuck behind a pretty slow rider, but he pulled over just after the scree field. The rider in front of me took off so I followed. He never pulled away, nor did he pull over, so I just sat back there. He was outta control a few times....I thought for sure he was gonna go down....he survived.

Down Silverado Canyon and roadie'd it back to Harding.

Ended up with 29 / 4600'

IMG_4412.jpg

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Today I rode.....

Didn't get enough Harding TT yesterday....so why not head out for more suffering. Lots of hikers out this morning.

I've done Harding on back to back days....but never on the geared bike. Let's just say, my legs didn't show up til about mile 6.

The original plan was to repeat yesterday's ride. Part of me wasn't looking forward to the roadie part, but turning back at 4 Corners was too short. Soooo, a quick out and back to Modjeska Peak.

Let it go on the way back down Harding. Fast and loose. Jumping the waterbars was fun. Slowed down for the puddles and mud holes.

We did go down and explore the creek in Harding Canyon....20 years, had never been down there. Pretty cool down there. We paid the price with the steep climb back out.

Still a good ride. 22.5 / 4200

IMG_4414.jpg IMG_4415.jpg

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    ^^^ Back to back. Nice. ^^^

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    What?! A dropper post on a bike of J's?

5. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    I got the same memo everyone else got today.... go ride the Luge. AND..... it didn’t disappoint! So good I had to do two laps. Rolled from Cooks, lot was full. Right from the get go there were 4 riders in front and 3 or four behind me. All spread out by 50 yards or so. It stayed that way most the way to the flag. Leapfrogged w/ the guy in front of me a few times. He’d get me on the climbs and I’d take him on the downs. It made the first lap go by quick. Thanks @kioti and @herzalot and others for the trail work in the Luge. Best shape I’ve ever seen it in. W/ the super tack hero dirt and fresh face lift I was able to set a PR on both runs! It was so good I did another lap. Same amount of riders, but I rode solo start to finish. Tires were hooking up something silly today. Lots of fun going down the Luge! Good times riding my bicycle.

0D3EB6EB-C664-4949-A6DE-B199292331B1.jpeg

23065174-1D4C-44CE-82B5-FF662C23E13E.jpeg

25CADEEF-FD49-4D47-9BF5-C9DB5E027F93.jpeg

5A5CF77E-E222-4423-9407-F281FA253C97.jpeg

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I was literally just thinking about Explo. After riding Loch Leven yesterday with no snow at all, I was thinking that Explo would be clear as well. Glad to know!

As for my morning, I tagged on for a ride with the HS team. And couldn't keep up for nuthin'! I finally split off from them up by El Dorado, and headed back to Crafton. Got a little more climbing in, going up Thunderbird but at my own pace.

Perfect weather and dirt... get out there and ride some!

18/2400: https://www.strava.com/activities/2092510463

31877755087_944c483a8b_b.jpg

39853868293_02c0618423_b.jpg

46819140281_5bbbc52c51_b.jpg

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Winter riding in SoCal :inlove: Keep the reports coming :thumbsup:

@Redman, your weight and tire pressure? WT front/rear? ~i30 rim?

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Went out to turn the pedals for a bit. Beautiful morning, if a bit breezy. FLoop plus the Panorama loop - Hobo mud bog is passable. :thumbsup:. Saturday did a bigger number on me than I thought. :eek::oops: Still had fun.
    strava898777977909224522.jpg

This is why they call it Coyote Hills. He was showing no fear, probably looking for breakfast.
    20190121_075137.jpg

9. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Weight = 170

Front Tire = Maxxis Highroller II 2.4 @ 21.5 lbs
    Rear Tire = Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 @ 22.5 lbs.

WTB i23 rims aluminum 27.5 wheel dia.

it sucks climbing, especially in the sticky goop. But, hooks up like a dream on the downs.:thumbsup:

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    PCE on a RIP 9. Awesome day.
    IMG_20190121_152908_044.jpg IMG_20190121_152908_042.jpg IMG_20190121_152908_039.jpg IMG_20190121_152908_036.jpg IMG_20190121_152908_032.jpg IMG_20190121_153009_428.jpg

Cornholio, Danmtchl, Grego and 21 others like this.
  11. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    ^^^^^^^How'd ya like the RIP?

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Three thumbs up! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll post up later.

13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Headed over to Chantry around noon, only too find a truck parked behind the closed gate. Worker got out and just stood there as I pedaled up. Didn't say anything until I asked if I could pedal up, he said "nope, for a lot of work going on up there",
    Said thank you and turned around. There's been a construction zone by the dam for a while, so I assume it had something to do with that... The worker didn't seem to chatty so I didn't press it....

Decided to check out how monroe fared with the rain..

Not well.

Wasn't feeling it today...combination of wind, short of breath because of a lingering cold, and I think my legs were still toast from hiking with the little guy strapped to my chest on Saturday.

Almost lost it in bike eating ruts on the way down,

Decided to go down mystic on the way back, but lost my nerve on the two steep parts.

One of those days where it wss good that I got to ride, but didn't feel like it was a good day on the bike....

14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    MTT usually gets destroyed in a big rain event, exactly like you have described. I've seen the creek flowing up to 4 feet deep before in roaring rapids. The path through the creek bed almost always get erased in this case but before long, a new one is formed and it is almost always completely different than it was before, too. The grooving up on the ridge line is also to be expected.

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm supposed to ride MTT Thursday with Bobby Acuna of Foes. Any idea if it will still be a mess by then?

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude, you just rode PCE. I'm pretty sure you can handle the worst of MTT.
    :thumbsup:

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    It'll be dry, but still rutted out. May still be water flowing in the creek bottom. May not. It'll be fun!!

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I don't want to get my bike dirty. ;)
    :thumbsup:

19. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Probably, but it's still completely rideable.

At the most, you'll hike a bike a little at the very beginning. For like... 2 minutes
    Not even necessary, but I wanted to keep my feet dry since the main pathway is where the flowing water is..

20. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Mine came back cleaner today....

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Sounds like you should have Bobby set you up with a Foes demo rig.

22. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Got back on the trail today. Perfect timing since yesterdays crew left some very long trail scars, and some earlier yahoo left deep furrows that filled in enough to hide the tread pattern. It was wide and with heavy paddles. Anyways I was out looking at the spring growth spurt. Brittle Brush is already blooming and the amount of soft growth is just covering the sage-scrub. Manroot is sending out long tendrils and they are covered with white blooms. California Sagebrush has 1" long super soft ends. Deer weed is starting to grow. Some Black Sage is looking good with lots of new leaves. Mustard is now 6 inches tall and ready for your salad, get them now before they get bitter.
    Most everything else is holding back or not as robust, I think they have been fooled before and don't want to invest all that energy and get burned. That is what has happened the last few years, sprout out then dry out, it is tough out there.
    Happy spring single track trails.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I doubt there will be much of a solid path through the creek bed but to me, rolling through the rockpiles would be fun on the way up and back down. There will likely be pools/puddles and a few muddy spots if the water has stopped flowing. None of this would stop me if I was planning to go but rolling through creek bed on the way back down would likely be slower than usual, possibly even stop and go.

24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Great morning ride today! 20 miles, 1,700', perfect dirt, weather, company. Rode the Chameleon, and probably should have been on my monstercross, but it was fun pushing the big wheels around for most of it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2094394848

46108995494_a06121085f_b.jpg

46108995334_eb0b561e96_b.jpg

25. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Super Blood Wolf Moon Lunar Eclipse Blackstar Mountain Bike Ride: I can't fault anybody for being skeptical about the riding conditions on Blackstar. Even after going there Friday afternoon and seeing bikes returning in surprisingly good shape, I was still having a hard time believing it. Decided to take the leap of faith and participate. Glad I did. Self, @Rumpled, @Grego and 3 others in all. Was also concerned about cloud cover but the moon was adequately visible at departure. Stopped a few times on the way up carry the bike over a mud puddle. Other than that it was a avoidable. We got to Beeks Place around 8:45 PM. Socializing and partaking while watching the lunar light show. The electric red color was neat. We had seen some menacing looking black clouds in the distance but did not pay much attention t0 them. After being up there for about an hour the moon we were looking at was suddenly devoured by those clouds. As we were getting on our bikes to leave we ourselves were also swallowed up. This was a unexpected part of the ride, descending through thick fog being careful not to have undesired contact with all the unfamiliar new rocks, ruts, slides and holes. Around half way down the fog dissipated and it started drizzling. Seemed like we got back to the Tree Farm fast. With the new decomposed granite segment holding water it was a very comfortable ride. So much better than previous asphalt stuff. The bonus thrill ride was a lot of fun. Very little mud residue on the bike afterwards. Nice to hear and see water running in the creek. :thumbsup:

26. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Rode Palm Canyon with exit via Art Smith a week ago

IMG_20190113_111535_2.jpg

Had just rained the day or two before so dirt was awesome.

IMG_20190113_114347.jpg

Saw zero other riders which is unheard of in these conditions. Passed three hikers in Palm Canyon and a few more at bottom of Art Smith

IMG_20190113_131230_1.jpg

DSC04088.jpg

Cool palm trees on Art Smith some of which burned a few years ago

DSC04096.jpg

IMG_20190113_161111_1.jpg

Good times!

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, mike and 20 others like this.
  27. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    I "rode" my single speed yesterday. Snapped the chain halfway up to TOW in Aliso. Goal was a casual Meadows decent and back up through canyon. Had my multi-tool with chain tool working on the fix when pin popped out of my hand and onto the ground never to be seen again. I was more upset about careless mistake and not being able to complete the fix.
    Pumped the chainless Lizard across the ridge to the Lynx drop-in and had a great time bombing Lynx on hardtail with no chain. Pushed and glided my way back up to MILF Park a little disappointed in first ride after rains. I will make up for it this coming week during finals. Half days with good weather projected. See ya out there.

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, mike and 11 others like this.
  28. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Rode BS yesterday. First ride in weeks and felt it. Was quickly reminded why I usually avoid riding on holidays. Every jack*** was walking the trail with their dog off the leash. Had to stop several times as dogs came up to me with the owner either not paying attention or too far away to take responsibility for their pet. As much as I love dogs, I wish they would start actively giving leash law tickets. Several times comes down moving quickly around corners I could have taken out a dog hurting it and myself. I don't want to hurt a dog or myself, now for the irresponsible owner, well...

Please keep your dog on a leash.

Thanks,

Everyone

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, mike and 11 others like this.
  29. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Rode BS yesterday. Best views we have had there in a long time. LA, Pasadena, San Clemente island, all visible. The canyon was nice and green, it is a gem. Once past the trail to the falls, the fire road became relatively quiet.
    When we came down, we saw a group sitting on top of large rock outpost in the middle of the canyon. Seemed quite dangerous and definitely off trail. Obviously no rangers beyond the OC Parks line, so clearly a bit of a free for all.

Fueledbyex8, mike, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Recovery cruise from home.
    20190122_094523-2016x1512.jpg 20190122_094422-2016x1512.jpg 20190122_085202-2016x1512.jpg IMG_20190122_121511_333.jpg

Want to donate to imtbtrails?