I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Yes it is.

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Says the guy who can't take enough pressure off the wheels to make it down a fire road without flatting. :whistling:

Two for two, Baby! :p:D

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    "He don't dig it til the day you die... "

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I got all you do-dos beat....:rolleyes:

I ride seated through the gnar on my HT and on my FS. :p

And I never get flats because I ride light on the bike even when seated and even with my phat a$$. :D

5. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Watch what happens on your next ride....

6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Damn gnar gnar Fire roads!:cautious:

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Karma can’t get to an already demonic soul....

But since you said what you said, watch what happens on your next ride... :whistling::rolleyes:;):D

8. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Saw the forecast for tomorrow and especially next week and decided that I better get out and ride while I can. Just went over to Calavera in Carlsbad which is the local/go-to spot for @pperrelle and I. He wasn't going to be able to make the night ride so I set out at 2 pm. I've always been the type to wear a backpack but for the last 4-5 rides, I've just been going with a bottle.....and NO TOOLS since Paul has everything if I should need it. :thumbsup: Well, since it's generally a 10 mile ride and you're never further than maybe 2-3 miles from your car, I took the risk of riding sans any tools at all. Of course that is the time when my master link imploded when I was the furthest away from my car I could get. Half of the link just broke and the other half bent and couldn't fit thru the derailleur which is when I knew something wasn't right :cautious: Luckily, Paul lives VERY close and I was able to call him to rescue me. Aside from that little mishap, which is Paul's fault anyway for encouraging me to ride without a pack :rolleyes:, the ride was actually great. Nice and cool but plenty of sun, dirt is still holding some moisture from previous rains and the place was virtually empty.

Heading up towards that "mountain" which is actually a volcano from another time
    fullsizeoutput_b11.jpeg
    At the top of the water tank climb which usually affords one an ocean view but not today. One of those houses over there belongs to @pperrelle
    8j6P9f%mRTuw1BS+KHYH1w.jpg
    Getting ready to head down the chunky Roman Road, getting ready for Sedona in March
    DGqj7j6tSaS0ymWnM7LafQ.jpg

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Legit ride there... good job!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    VERY fun morning ride. Met up with co-worker Allan to celebrate the final day of vay-kay. He's an IRL friend of my Strava contact Clifford. So the three of us met up @ Crafton, and up the hill we went! ST, fire road, more ST, some asphalt, then dirt, dirt, dirt for a long bit. Met a local up in the hills who asked us to put tires on a new trail he was making. Cold and cloudy up at the top end of El Dorado (3,721'), but balmy down at the base of Crafton where we parked (2,191'). Three and a half hours, beat the rain, and ready to be gainful employees come Monday!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2071661142

31766618027_d13b13c18a_b.jpg

46655359982_8228b37e2b_b.jpg

46655359342_d8fb894809_b.jpg

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    What “You Guys” homie? :confused::cool:

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    His hair was Perfect!
    Whew! I thought you were suggesting Wolfie had the clap! :whistling:

13. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    I rode TnA (Laguna Ridge) yesterday for first time. I liked the trail very much. It appeared to have been worked on and in great shape. The top third has good flow and fun jumps. I met and talked with Mike Hall at the rocky drop section where he was busy doing tons of work. Bottom chunk section was seat of your pants fun while not using brakes.
    Side note-what pads are people using that are strong. For that matter, any brake suggestions would be appreciated.
    Climbed back up Willow (not as stoked on this part of ride) and Fenceline in dark. Nice ride before rainy week.
    11/1700’
    98C731FE-032E-4A24-84C2-C4FFEE6770B7.jpeg

14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Rode LCWP last night with my friend who doesn’t do forums. Just a nice lizard Camarillo Stagecoach Fenceline jaunt. Finished in the dark.

Met a couple guys at the trailhead, John and Derek. John and my friend are work friends. I didn’t realize at the time but Derek is @Derek13. Nice meeting you Derek, we’ll have to ride sometime.

15. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Trails too wet, no problem.

20190113_094636.jpg

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    My dead bikes keep popping up in the picture slot machine. They're haunting me. :eek:

17. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Why am I reminded of Good Morning Vietnam and Walter Brennan? Ugh... :confused:

20190113_094636-jpg.48254.jpg

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I just went for a short ride. Had a good time. Took the shortcut from Maple Springs to Main Divide. It's also called the Motorway. :)

Pedaled up way more of it than I thought I would. Then I turned around and went back down. Saw @singlespeedrider coming down as I was headed up but didn't realize until later. He was kind of a blur zipping past. :p

Now I can cross that climb off the list. :thumbsup:

8.1 / 2,118.
    20190113_104747.jpg
    20190113_114527.jpg

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I rode my bike yesterday.

@guywhodoesntdoforums set up a birthday ride in the San Gab's....we all agreed on rain or shine.

The route was up West Fork as an out and back.....only as far as we wanted to go. Earlier in the week, the planned route was all the way to Highway 2.

@horsebikerider and I go there shortly before 9:00, @guywhodoesntdoforums and John showed up shortly after. 9:15 came and went, then 9:30.....someone was missing. Someone was supposed to be there, but wasn't. Unfortunately there was zero phone signal up there. As we stood there in the rain in the parking lot, at 9:45 we had no option but to roll.

Suz & John
    IMG_7070.JPG

We dropped onto West Fork, and it was what I was afraid of when I looked at it on the satellite.....a paved road. We pedaled up.....not really, cause it was really flat for the first 6 miles or so. We were in a constant mist/drizzle/light rain. We were prepared so it was all good.

Fishing Platform
    IMG_4400.jpg

Finally we got to climbing when we got to Cogswell Dam, then shortly after, into the dirt....around mile 7.

Above Cogswell Dam
    IMG_4401.jpg IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_7068.JPG IMG_7067.JPG

It was clear we would not be going all the way to the end, so when we reached mile 10, Suz and John stopped, we continued on to the next gate, which was supposed to be right around the corner. Well, after 2.5 miles of "right around the corner", the rain started coming down harder and harder, the DG and sand was starting to get really soft, and the temps were dropping. So we turned around and headed back. We were gone longer than the others had figured, so they started to head back down. Rain was coming down good by now. While my core was dry, my shorts were no longer. Caught up with the others and changed out of wet gloves at the campground. By now I was soaked.....my waterproof shoes were no longer dry....on the inside as the water ran down my legs/socks into my shoes. Good thing my feet were still warm....wet, but warm. The 6 miles of flat pavement at the beginning, was just as flat on the way out.

Made it back to the truck in a downpour and had to get creative on changing out of wet cloths.

For me, the weather made the adventure.

Ended up with 24 miles / 2300'

20. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Feeling lazy, and unmotivated to move today, so easy spin from home through the monrovia hillside preserve

Hey @Cisco Roots , those switchback are tight, did you clean them when you lived around there?

21. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sycamore with Vince. Hero dirt, hero weather, empty trails. :thumbsup:
    IMG_2245 (2).JPG

syc11519.jpg

22. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    San Juan Trail to Blue Jay and back. Started the climb at 9 AM and the parking lot was jammed. I did not encounter too many shuttle people on the climb, but Cocktail was packed, so I am glad I missed most of them. I will start at 8 next time, which should be the sweet spot. Really good dirt for the most part, although there were small sections of mud puddles.

23.05 miles and 4,260 ft.

20190113_112932.jpg

23. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Nice! I love that a regular ride can quickly turn into an adventure with some rain or snow!
    And those dimples in the first pic...love!

24. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    :(Sadly, my first ride since 11-17 :gag::bang: And, double sadly I did it at the floop. Two floop laps today to get the new e13 12 spd dialed. Shifts incredibly well, but incredibly loud too. Pedaling is very quiet, but shifting is a bit unnerving. Good thing I can tune it out. For the first ride on this I am impressed. Must say my legs threw in the towel with about 4 miles to go. Felt very good and refreshing to pedal again. Can’t wait for the next opportunity. :thumbsup:

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    That’s like the perfect pic!

The Trail Slayer!
    syc11519-jpg.48268.jpg
    If only he was representing imtbtrails in the pic...:oops:

26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Damn it Vince makes it look so easy:thumbsup:.

27. Derek13

Derek13 Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    San Juan Shuttle with Grant that does not climb well right now. I could not believe how many cars, trucks, and campers were at the bottom. Slippery and wet top section over red rocky bits. Flat fixed in seconds with A bacon strip and back at it. Grant fell 6 times due to tight clipless pedals he is not used to. I crashed OTB on a drop down that my front wheel stuck in hole and I couldn’t recover from. Banged up knee not too bad. After Cocktail Rock it was non stop pulling over to give climbers right of way. Will not shuttle again before 11am. Still a really fun day to be in MTB.

28. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Squeezing in a ride before the rains come. Sycamore always a great place after rain

18, 1600'

IMG_20190113_151602.jpg

IMG_20190113_165801.jpg

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Someday I need to go investigate this Sycamore thing. Maybe next time I need something from Jenson USA. :whistling:

30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    early ride before work today, stt-extra credit past luge to trabuco overlook, than back and down luge. Started at 6:45 done by 9:45, hardly saw other riders till near the end. Great dirt, goopy in a few spots. Luge is always a blast.
    Fresh moto tracks on stt :bang: