I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I saw this pop up on Strava and was waiting for the details! You two are getting in some nice rides... Good to see. :thumbsup:

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Thursday Night Social Ride... This was the windy Bell View edition. Fun ride out with the wind at our backs for most of the way. A few of the optional single tracks were on the menu. :thumbsup:

On the way back to civilization, we figured out that we had two functioning lights for three riders. Professor to the middle of the pack, stat! :p Fortunately he didn't eat it when the light turned itself off on the drop in to the little single track. Fun times... Buddy system FTW! :thumbsup:

The wind was nuts by the end... Not exactly hurricane strength, but definitely breezy!

Tacos afterwards... As it should be.

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, Grego and 9 others like this.
  3. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Thursday evening/night Blackstar ride. From the Tree Farm to the first gate at Beeks Place. Rode into a headwind all the way up. Pretty strong at times. First ride in 11 days. Happy just to be there and was feeling comfortable even with the wind. Listened to it howling on Main Divide but did not go up that far. Saw 18 other Mountain Bikers. Ten of them in a night ride group. 20181108_165210.jpg

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Thursday night Floopage for me. Breezy, but not bad. Temps perfect. Fun ride.
    20181108_191113.jpg

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, Cyclotourist and 9 others like this.
  5. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    My little town has gone to SCHIST. First we had a moron shoot up the local canteen. No access to Space Mtn since it is behind the police tape. Then we have a fire burning Cheeseboro, China Flat, Ahmanson Ranch. Then we have a second fire burning out the Wildwood West Mesa, Hill Cyn, Box Cyn, across 101: The Three Amigo's, 1/2 of the Dos Vientos Loop. It will have hit the ocean before morning, bye bye Sycamore Cyn, Wood Cyn, Backbone and Guadalajasca. On my ride tonight I saw two trucks on top of Anderson Mty right next to China Flat with a glowing sky behind. When I left the ridge I could see somebody walking with a light on the Lizzard Rock drop and the fire leaping above the ridge right behind Lizzy (the newer trail by the gas pipe).
    Happy wasted trails

-ROCKY-, Cyclotourist, mike and 10 others like this.
  6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks Steve, I'm just slow as molasses on the climbs, but thankful I can do it even if it takes awhile. Wasn't too long ago I thought I was gonna have to give it up.

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Dave u climbed that great, hardly “slow as molasses”. You killed it going down joplin, especially that right hand tight turn into the chute!

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I'm volunteering at Revolution bike fest later this afternoon so that meant I was leaving work early today woohoo. Woke up this morning not feeling like going to work, stress level has been high there lately. As we are sitting there having an early morning cup of coffee I tell my wife "dang I don't want to work today". Her reply was "I wish you wouldn't". This leaves me thinking "oh crap there's a catch" maybe I should just go to work. Then she says "I know it's windy but you should just stay home and go for a ride you need it". She only had to say that once as I heard her just perfectly. I love this woman. Yes I already had a half assed plan of where I wanted to go so off I went from the driveway. Headed over to the lovely little sh!thole town of Val Verde to explore some potential stuff I saw on google maps. Nothing special just dirt roads and oil field property but it was fun and painful. A few of climbs were ridiculously steep. Looked down at the Garmin a couple times and saw 26º grade and I'm sure walking would have been faster. Windy as sh!t but the views were pretty good and I was by myself and clearing my head. Clapped out Ripley rode like a dream and came in handy for the climbs.

Thinking I made a good decision playing hooky today.
    IMG_8124.jpg

First ridiculously steep climb dead ended at this water tower. Don't think I'll be refilling my bottle here...
    IMG_8135 (1).jpg

How could I not stop and snap a pic for this.
    IMG_8128.jpg

Looking out towards @UPSed's area. I hope you're ok out there brother.
    IMG_8138.jpg

Yep windy...
    IMG_8144.jpg

Hahaha like that's gonna stop me...
    IMG_8139.jpg

Oh crap, time to turn around and go back.
    IMG_8143.jpg

Days like this make me realize life is short and I work and worry too damn much. Now I'm all charged up and ready for a fun weekend at Revolution Bike Fest. I haven't ridden the Ripley in a while but dang still love that bike...

9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yup, rode again tonight. Same place. And once again, had a good time. :thumbsup:

strava2028290113689144473.jpg

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Just finished up our ride in JTNP on the Geology Tour Road loop. It’s torturous with all the deep sand but its a once a year challenge we keep doing in the Fall. Perfect weather with perfect temps. But there is smoke in the air even way out here.17.24 miles of smiles and grimaces. :D

A517B1C7-6166-47CC-888E-A4F5128FB33D.jpeg

1D1454C4-C8EA-468B-9BD5-40BF232197B9.jpeg

EED189E8-70B3-4657-AB4B-79617706E910.jpeg

672C48BB-61F7-4C7B-8EB6-6013DDC7139E.jpeg

80CBA604-EF52-4EF4-8D46-DE5A3810300E.jpeg

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Our plans changed today so I was off the hook and my wife took the kids to BFE, couldn’t pass up the opportunity to ride. Decided to hit Aliso since I wasn’t crammed for time and haven’t ridden there since I did trailwork on Meadows last year.

Went in from the main entrance and went up Cholla for a run down Rock-it then back around and up Cholla again to head over to Meadows. Wanted to do more but it was warmer than expected and I was being lazy so threw in the towel at 15 miles. Might be back here Monday since the forecast is calling for more WIND. :poop:

Time for lunch at Tustin Brew Co..
    99750CF5-D048-4618-B07D-3FAE25F6412F.jpeg

FCCCB3DE-2B90-4AE7-BE8D-1508831CB445.jpeg

043E2DA0-B460-4C38-BD13-9376996BA2C7.jpeg

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
  13. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Whiting - Luge - Whiting today

We hadnt been there for 11 months+ and loop is always fun. Tons of hikers on Borrego, nice to see people out active. Families / groups, i wonder where they end up going, i suspect most of them out and back, given at 4 Corners you mainly just see bikers. STT was in good shape. That new housing development, sigh.... I wonder if they can get fire insurance....The Luge itself was perfect. Back into the park, and the reroute of that top trail (i forgot name) is sandy now but fun. A few zigzags and then back to the original trail. Burrito and beer after

C63C5E04-B5F1-4188-8E17-A12F11072CC4.jpeg

14. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    White Ranch Park today, optimal conditions, and mostly stuck to Park rules.

whranch1.jpg

whranch2.jpg

whranch3.jpg

whranch4.jpg

whranch5.jpg

whranch6.jpg

whranch7.jpg

whranch8.jpg

whranch9.jpg

Stats: Most of the day spent at social pace with my favorite person. That’s all I care to know. High point of my day was following down Longhorn, watching her onsight every inch of it with a few moments of doubt. I knew she would love it; she was beaming. Blissful day all around, the best kind. :inlove::thumbsup:

15. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Dragged my sorry arse up Santiago Peak. Unfortunately had to start later than planned after UK family emergency. Massive thanks to @Faust29 for the advice, came in handy! Must admit you weren't lying when you said the first few miles on the pavement suck. That and stuff going on back at home playing on my mind had me considering turning back early on more than a few occasions but I persevered. Got a bit confused by the closure sign at Modjeska and headed a bit down Harding and then one other one before realising that I had to ignore the closure sign. Was pretty broken by the time I got to the top, that last beer last night may have been one to many :bang:

Glad I did it though, the view is something else. My potato spec iPhone doesn't do it justice but you get the idea.
    SP looking towards Laguna.jpg

The mighty Proflex appears to be a little worse for the experience unfortunately, gears are not happy and the front shock is topping out with a distinct metallic clunk. I doubt there is any damping actually happening. Bought some Sierra Nevada Double IPA on the way home to soothe the sore bits.

Don't think I'll be doing that route again, I'm not a fan of riding down hills when you have muppets in trucks blasting up. Only one close call but mostly because I was being overly cautious thanks to nearly losing a mate after he smeared himself all over the front of a forestry truck back in the day.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Hope everything is working out okay in re home fires. Yeah, the Maple Spring pavement suckage is ....suckage. But totally worth the effort, IMNSHO. Santiago Peak's views are to die for (not literally, though). Wanted to join, but life got in the way.

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Glad you made it safe and sound... This is the crazy time of year on Maple Springs. Hunters and the 4x4 crowd make it interesting. If you're still around during the week, we usually do a loop on Wednesday nights. Instead of heading to the peaks, we turn left (north) on Main Divide, and go across 6 miles to the Silverado Trail (AKA Motorway), a fun 3 mile single track descent that drops back to the gate at the bottom of Maple Springs. It's less climbing than you did, and a lot more fun...

18. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Set out for a big ride and to redeem myself down Motorway on the SS. Last time on this bike was a bloodbath.:eek: Started in Corona, up Skyline. The little 26'r climbs like a beast. Felt fast on the ups. Took a small break at Beeks. Cool views with clear sky's cruising across Main Divide. Almost at Motorway I find my Strava stopped for some reason. Dang, I'm trying to meet a goal...:mad: Didn't record most if not all of MD. There go the stats, oh well. :thumbsdown: Took it easy down the Motorway. No blood this time.:thumbsup: Topped of with some water at the general store in Silverado and proceeded to climb B*. Legs starting to burn slightly. I thought I slowed the pace down but somehow managed to PR the climb. Never really had a good PR in the first place but it's funny I PR it after 25+ miles or so while trying to conserve energy to finish the big for me ride. Back near Beeks still feeling good, I figure I'l try to make up for the missing miles on Strava and add in Sierra, down Coal Cyn. and up Foothill. About 2/3 of the way to Sierra my phone is about to die. Rather than chancing to lose the ride, I flip a u-turn back to Skyline. Down and out. Nothing real exciting, just a good day on the bike. Recorded 33/5600 but I think it was more like 40/7000. Biggest ride on the SS.:)

lwtmw1.jpg

19. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Back riding @ Tapia after two years, checked my Strava. Me and @Sasquatch9billion took our buddy Ulysses out for his first Tapia outing.
    2018-11-10 17.55.52.png
    2018-11-10 17.42.05.jpg
    @UPSed I'm surprised we didn't run in to each other, ran into @MrGreedom on a singletrack he was to busy having fun don't think he heard me call his name.

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    You rock! :thumbsup:

And having witnessed your last time down Motorway on the SS, I'm glad this one went a little better...

Edit: Dude! Your Strava is one long list of trophies. Single speeding is like crack. :eek: :thumbsup:

21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Hit Skypark with the new rig. Got there earlier than my buddies. Did a couple runs did not feel comfortable. Went back to the truck sat down and let my brain and body absorb what it just felt. The boys showed up 15 min later. Rolled to there truck gathered there things then off to the top. Arrow I led out and boom felt at one with the bike. Did not push it today but just let the bike go. Wow it is different than the Stumpy. Plush and carries more speed. Susp setup was close to perfect for me, my guesswork in the garage worked. PR'd a couple runs and was close on the rest. Speed is my game and this bike has it. Now to tame it. Had my best run ever on Comet cleaned it. Looking forward to the future. Loved my Stumpjumper until as of late. Pushing it past its limits with my wieght and speed made me look for more. I believe the right decision was made.

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    EXCELLENT! We all take a chance when we get a new bike, hoping it ends up being everything intended (and that the marketing says it will be)!
    Glad it's paying off!

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Right on! Glad to hear it's what you wanted and is making you faster, more confident, even better looking (as if that's possible), taller, wittier and more intelligent! Or at least some of that.

Stoked for your stoke!

24. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    First time to ride Cactus in Whiting Ranch since the re-work. Other than launching off one of the new humps near the top and landing way too fast, close and too far inside into a bermed corner (not sure how I saved it) the trail is great! However, Sleepy Hollow is a mess, especially lower down. It's been worked on, with good intentions I'm sure, but some corners are 6" of loose dirt now. Pretty much need inside foot down to keep from falling when you loose the front, and you will if you carry any speed. Probably should have a warning sign up top for people who haven't seen the re-done corners and try to ride it like it used to be, which wasn't bad except the brake bumps... just imho

25. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    After watching my son’s soccer team getting destroyed in the morning I finally found some alone in the early afternoon.

Somehow I ended up on Blackstar with my Niner SS.
    I had a solid run gate to gate (55min). When I got to Beeks I decided to forgo the traditional right turn to the Doppler Ball, and decided to check out Sierra Peak.
    942B565B-5F75-47E6-B221-BB89BD30F1B9.jpeg

It was a first visit for me, but I can see myself adding “Tree Farm to Sierra Peak” into a semi regular rotation.
    Every once in a while I needs a 24 mile two hour (plus) ride option. This one is a solid one.
    2E7A9F61-6CCD-42F8-83B7-D097251EBD2B.jpeg

doublewide, littlewave, mike and 15 others like this.
  26. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Update: it is better and worse than I noted here. Starting North, East to West. The Woolsey Cyn aggressive trails are now black, Cheeseboro 101 north to boundry (all including the Bell cyn single track to Erringer Fire Road, China Flat, Dead Cow Rd), Ahmanson, Albertson Mty and assoc climbs Wood Ranch and all ridge trails on both sides including Stairway to Heaven & Bridaltrail park, Wildwood West Mesa to the freeway- & Santa Rosa Rd. But the East part of Wildwood is spared from Lizzard Rock to Santa Rosa and south to Lynnmere.
    South East to West: Backbone trail from Stunt to Etz Meloy Fire Rd. Millennium trail network from 101 south. All of Malibu SP including the old Reagan Ranch. Grassland trail, Silver Arrow trail. Paramount Ranch trails, 3rd tunnel East and West, Triunfo (all). Hiking and riding trails to Tri Peaks. Conejo Mtn and the 3 Amigos did not make it. But Sycamore-Wood Cyn may have been spared, I do not know since the Hill Fire coverage was dumped to focus on Woolsey. Space Mtn was spared as of all of Los Robles trail from Kmart to Potero trail head.
    Happy now wide open trails

27. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    This is going to be expensive...:whistling:

28. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Well went out to load up to ride and smelled smoke in RC. Eyes welled up and started with the itchy throat. Turned back around and went inside to watch mtb videos. Pissr!

29. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    If you look at most of the pictures posted seems like most California trails are charred like on this page! Sad! Burned out waistland.

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Veteran's Day ride. Pavement to Tapo Canyon, Rocky Peak and a drop down Stagecoach then pavement home. Thanks to all that have served.

IMG_20181111_102239_654.jpg