I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    There ... Fixed it for ya from the pics

Looks awesome.. TFPU

2. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

Can you feel the Smashiness there? I hope to get mine back to its native land at some point....

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Met up with a group from All Pro Bicycle Shop here in Simi Valley and did the usual local fire road stuff and a little single track thrown in. It was good to see Gina, the owner of All Pro, back on her bike. It's been a tough road for her after the passing of her husband Phil earlier this year. Nothing better than riding with friends to take your mind off of things. It was a wonderful day.

20181104_112134-1455x1092.jpg 20181104_111928-1305x979.jpg 20181104_111849-1236x927.jpg IMG_20181104_135052_855.jpg

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Right on, Sam. You knew the answer when you asked the question :cool::thumbsup:

I've loved how the Smash has handled every area I've ridden it in. A trail bike that doesn't flinch on the rowdiest DH and can climb long, steep and tech is a fun tool for the Front Range. Learning all over why I got the bike :)

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I wanted to do another Motorway run, but things kept jumping in the way of me leaving the house... So, my Motorway run turned into a late afternoon solo ride up Black Star.

Those gears might be dangerous... PRed a bunch of sections up and down. Ruh Roh. :eek:

6. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    As planned, 8 ups and downs at Oaks. The place was a zoo when we started around 9am. Towards the end of our ride it felt we had the place to ourselves. What a difference the 6" geared bike feels like compared to the HT SS on yesterdays ride. Love to mix it up. Felt fast on the DH's but the Dubya Ef Oh was making more creaks than you can shake a stick at. Time for some maintenance. Still a fun day. 15/3200

7. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    A little bit on the house trails with the fatbike...then fatbike plus two of my little ones (one at a time) on the sweet MacRide...best rides eva!

#HappyDad

44B18D1C-09FC-40D2-8BA0-55EA4B824C83.jpeg 9B649D93-6B6B-49DC-85CD-66495CAB8DE8.jpeg 21962633-97E9-4161-B47B-8F0FBAFA4A03.jpeg

8. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

Noice! I dunno how you feel, but I feel like I’m getting away with something every time I ride...too fun going up for how ridiculous the down is :devilish::ninja:

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    If that section were in Aliso, there would be a P-Line around it by noon.

And I have actually ridden that section in Apex, albeit 20 years ago. Probably dabbed or walked some of it. Don't remember. Inconceivable that it has remained "unimproved" for 20 years.

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Afternoon at the Oaks. 2:20 start......it was warm, but not hot. Park was mostly empty....but not completely.

Planned to take it easy, but stayed out til dark.

Is it time to set the clocks forward yet?

21.5/3350'

IMG_6397.JPG IMG_4240.jpg IMG_4239.jpg IMG_4238.jpg IMG_4236.jpg

hill^billy, Mikie, ~JB~ and 15 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Wednesday night rides just got a lot more interesting. Time to test the light... And maybe the spare.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Even with an early 4:30 start.....it'll be dark before 4 Corners.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  13. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    El moro... remember how i was bitchin rattle lost its venom? So somebody called me out..go down the middle!
    So i did and crashed! Haha.. no biggie.. no blood!
    It seems rattle is now two trails!
    Easy fun ride. ..emerald..such a good old friend...

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That would be me - and thank you for riding the intended and difficult part of Rattlesnake/Garter Snake. Sorry to hear of your fall, but no harm, so we have that in common. (I fell yesterday). :thumbsup:

15. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Herz.. there must be two stairsteps as well..one on the left as ur facin downhill was doable wo death grip..there was another entrance to the right...
    And t n a seems really mellow compared to 10 plus years ago? Back then we called it laguna ridge...

16. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Rode with purpose today

20181106_141933.jpg

-ROCKY-, Danimal, H2oChick and 13 others like this.
  17. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    My Betty wants to go there!

-ROCKY-, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  18. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Of course she does! There's more Turq around here than you can shake a stick at. :cool: Still time left. Last year winter came in January.

A casual ride today. Forget driving when you can. Sniffed out a little black trailage and vitamin D at N. Table Mountain. A nice day, in the 40s-50s and windy. Hikers, climbers and riders out doing their thing. I wouldn't rush back there for the riding. Maybe the climbing...

ntable1.jpg

ntable2.jpg

ntable3.jpg

ntable4.jpg

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I've been off the bike for too long again but I was able to sneak in a pre-work local ride this morning.

It was the usual miles with the usual elevation gain. The usual sights and the usual calories burned. Almost nobody up there, just one gravel biker gal and two or three dog walkers.

But when all was said and done, my bike and I were glowing. :)

IMG_6278.JPG

21. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Table Mountain was better than nothing? Betty’s a sl#t for any dirty trail.

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Quick ride out to Caspers... Up East Ridge, and then up Oso. This trail is really starting to see some traffic. 44 Strava entries for the year! :eek: The first time I went up it a few years ago, there were 9. :eek:

It's a grind... Probably the hardest climb in South OC. And I didn't go all the way. When I hit the little shelter at the top of the worst part, I decided to try some new dirt. Badger Pass runs from the little shelter 1/2 way up Oso back down to the San Juan Creek Trail right off the 74. Twenty Strava entries for the year. It looked like it had recently experienced the "OC Treatment". Maybe a Bobcat with a blade? It's a loose rocky double-triple track that drops about 900 feet in 1.3 miles, with more switchbacks than I can count... It was fun, and gave a little different look at the park. :thumbsup: Next time, I'll go back to the Cold Springs Trail. That one gets almost zero traffic, and I'm curious what kind of shape it's in. Maybe a Caspers to San Juan ride in the near future?

31.5 miles and 4000 feet.

Badger Pass...
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 6.44.09 PM.jpg

23. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Early P-12 ride after work. Had stuff to do at home so we were in a hurry. Even beat @Mikie out to the trails. One day we shall ride again Mikie - but not this week:(
    There sure were a lot of crunchy pine cones out there tonight weren't there ;):laugh:

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Hehe :thumbsup: At the risk of my appearing snobbish... :oops: NTM is a fun and unique place to ride XC. A respite from suburban sprawl that's user friendly. A cool feature to circumnavigate, and I missed the few trails that go up top from the main loop. The rock climbing can be approached by bike.

But for smashing the goods with DH flavor, I have 3+ pedal-distance venues that better represent ColoRADo. HillB (any of you reprobates), if you get a hare, get out here on a dry spell for a Rad-o Range tour. FS advised :sneaky:

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A little different Motorway loop tonight... @Stkx66 joined, but started an hour earlier. He wanted to knock out the climb to Four Corners on his own. :thumbsup: His truck was parked near the gate, so we knew he was ahead. One of us pushed the pace trying to catch the rabbit. :cautious: :p :whistling:

It was pretty chilly down below, so I made a quick wardrobe change, and went with the long sleeved fleece jersey. It was definitely the right call with temps in the low 50s and upper 40s. Pretty soon I'll need a lot more than that up there...

We met up with Stkx66 at Four Corners and set out across Main Divide. This was new dirt for Steve. Too bad he couldn't see the sites... No drama, no mechanicals, no blood, and soon enough we were at the Motorway. Motorway is a riot at night. Much different feel than during the day... :thumbsup:

Fun night on the mountain.

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, CBone and 15 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yep, first Maple/Motorway night ride of the season.

Temps were cool at the start.....55'ish. We knew @hotdogSteve was ahead of us. Somebody pushed the pace hoping to catch the rabbit.

The climb seemed to go by quickly. We met up with HDsteve at 4 Corners. Main Divide is soooo much faster on the Hightower. We made good time across.

Fun run down the Motorway. Looks like a Jeep started to drive up at the top again.

No blood, no mechanicals.

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, CBone and 12 others like this.
  27. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @sir crashalot and I did Maple Springs - Joplin - Luge yesterday. Great ride, thanks Gary! We were a little hesitant to post since the gate at 4 corners heading toward Joplin was closed and the signage was unclear whether open for foot/bike traffic or not. We had heard it was ok, and since have got some other input confirming. Whew, no jail time...

Joplin has been brushed at least half if not 2/3 of the way down. Also a couple spots where the trail bed washed out and was sliding down the slope were shored up. Some large downed trees were cut out too. Some awesome work by Warrior Society, many thanks!

The majority of Joplin is same as it ever was, narrow steep singletrack, rocky, loose, babyhead fields, pumpkinhead fields, and the three crux sections near the bottom. Made the last one, walked the others.... lots of churned rock and dirt, by motos climbing it I presume. Arms, hands and legs are really beat to hell by the bottom. But what a great trail... you really feel like you're out there in the wilds and in a beautiful semi-pristine canyon on a sweet challenging trail.

A little sad about the upper part of STT down to Cadillac. The 4wders have torn it up. Still fast swoopy fun, just wider and looser than it used to be. After all that I could barely hold on to the bars down the Luge. We actually stopped half way to shake out hands and arms.

A little over 18mi and Garmin said 4400 feet but I think it's actually 3900 or so, and tons of smiles!

A few pics:
    Joplin trailhead and where we're headed...
    20181107_124032.jpg

Looking up from the Joplin trailhead, Santiago Peak is right there...
    20181107_122527.jpg

A large Oak down on the trail towards the bottom near Old Camp
    20181107_133607.jpg

Cyclotourist, Grego, bvader and 15 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I saw this pop up on Strava and was waiting for the details! You two are getting in some nice rides... Good to see. :thumbsup:

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Thursday Night Social Ride... This was the windy Bell View edition. Fun ride out with the wind at our backs for most of the way. A few of the optional single tracks were on the menu. :thumbsup:

On the way back to civilization, we figured out that we had two functioning lights for three riders. Professor to the middle of the pack, stat! :p Fortunately he didn't eat it when the light turned itself off on the drop in to the little single track. Fun times... Buddy system FTW! :thumbsup:

The wind was nuts by the end... Not exactly hurricane strength, but definitely breezy!

Tacos afterwards... As it should be.

-ROCKY-, Stkx66, Grego and 9 others like this.
  30. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Thursday evening/night Blackstar ride. From the Tree Farm to the first gate at Beeks Place. Rode into a headwind all the way up. Pretty strong at times. First ride in 11 days. Happy just to be there and was feeling comfortable even with the wind. Listened to it howling on Main Divide but did not go up that far. Saw 18 other Mountain Bikers. Ten of them in a night ride group. 20181108_165210.jpg