I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Maple Springs Motorway. Saturday 3 PM start. With Harding being shadeless at that time, chose to take my chances with the Maple Springs traffic. Found that the strong winds had blown all the dust off of the MS segment, leaving just the graded hardpack. It was a lot like riding on pavement. Dodged enough motor vehicles to make it to 4 Corners. The closed signs were still there at the gate, but now folded up and under a rock. Probably wind related. Thought I would encounter less traffic by taking Main Divide to Motorway rather than going back down MS. Did not turn out that way but it was a good decision. After I had ridden a couple of miles on MD a frenzy of gunfire erupted on the MS side. Handgun, rifle, shotgun and semi automatic rifle all going off at the same time. there was other gunfire during the ride also None of it hunting related, just shooting the place up. MD was more hardpack with lots of pebbles on top. Had not been down Motorway since spring. Could see that a lot of work had been done on it. The serenity on Motor quickly washed out the all hubbub.

2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Just rode Car Wreck and 5 Oaks in Aliso. The little root drop at very end of Wreck had been filled in and smoothed out. 5 oaks was nice, a little less dusty i guess last weeks rain packed it down a bit. Was good to see green starting to poke through in the canyon bottoms. Quite uncrowded for a sunday morning. Only saw 1 ebike, bombing down Westridge in a fullface.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    A stunningly normal ride from @Danimal's house up way too much pavement to Santiago Truck Trail (STT). Luge run. Then more pavement, then a run through Whiting. This time the new work on Cactus was packed down, thanks to the rain. The new humps and bumps are kind of entertaining, but if you take it with speed it gets weird. In the first couple of turns, it's easy to overcook the little jumps and consequently t-bone the turns. Towards the bottom, the trail outslopes just when you need something to press against, similar to the new section at the top of Camarillo in LCWP. If they wanted to build humps and bumps in a way that will require the rider to slow down, they accomplished it. Well, at least it's not a powdery mess anymore.

Climbed back up to Dan's house for a total of 2560' and 17 miles.

Good company, sunny weather. Bikes are fun!

4. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

Good old SoCal AntiFlow! I like to delude myself that it makes me a better rider....

5. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Got a familyman style ride in today...went to Snow Summit and was riding by 730. Just took the DH steel guy...climbed Towne to Coyote to Skyline trail...quick trip west down the switchbacks and then back east to Fern and back to parking lot. Four quick laps with lift assist: Miracle, Westridge x2, and finished with Party Wave to bit of Miracle to bottom of Turtle to Avg Joes. Amazing how little has changed since last riding there two years ago. (Sarcasm). Still fun despite the limited options...I guess a couple Whistler trips will do that to you....

6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Exploration trail.. keller peak.. also did some single track behind camp 6..ended up in snow valley...
    Fun flowy but short....
    Views from keller peak.. worth it..see seven oaks and san gorgonio.. and pacific ocean!

20181020_152753.jpg

OTHRider, Luis, Evoracer and 23 others like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Big Sycamore Canyon, solo. Hadn't ridden in 1.5 weeks. Needed to spin and clear my head.

24.92 miles
    2562'
    1686 calories

Some interesting wildlife sightings today:

*3.5 foot San Diego Gopher snake
    *2 Roadrunners
    *several White-tailed Kites

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

da big hills, OTHRider, Luis and 18 others like this.
  8. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    New dirt for us at Box Springs. The climb up Two Trees is tough but not long. Some HAB up chunk. Fire road to the towers in search of the big "M". Couldn't find it but did find a big "W".;) Techy chunky singletrack down Ridge and Spring. A loop around the north peak had some flowy ST and punchy climbs. Bombing Two Trees was a thrill. What a neat little gem! 11/2700.

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

OTHRider, Luis, Evoracer and 20 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    After yesterday's Tour de Mountains, I was committed to a recovery ride up Maple Springs with a Suz and a bunch of friends.

I'll admit, I was a little concerned.....enough so that I almost bailed this morning. Decided that the cheater bike was the way to go.

We rolled late......9:30 or so. It was warm, but not hot. There is still too much traffic driving much too fast on Maple Springs. Legs felt good most of the way up.

Got up to 4 Corners to participate in a Ping Pong Tourney.

Yes, that is right. Table Tennis at 4 Corners. Pizza and beverages. Ping Pong is interesting on unlevel tables in the wind.

Post tourney we headed down. Again way too much traffic driving much too fast. I'll be glad when hunting season is over. Got roosted by a moto, then watched said moto nearly stack it up on one of the water bars.

15.5 / 2700'

IMG_4165.jpg IMG_4169.jpg IMG_4166.jpg IMG_4164.jpg IMG_4163.jpg IMG_4167.jpg

BeckTrex, OTHRider, Luis and 18 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    There was no ping pong in the Arroyo... But I kept my eyes open for any signs of the werewolf. I hauled ass through the jungle section before Oso, just in case he was hiding down there somewhere. :cautious: It's also the section I saw the mountain lion last year. :oops: It's probably been a couple years since I've gone all the way past Crown Valley and up onto the "trail" above Ladera Ranch. I forgot what a cardio workout that is. With gears on the lizard, I'll probably head there more often. Max speed 40.9 mph. :thumbsup:

I came back to RSM on the Tijeras Creek trail, which is slightly uphill heading north... Skipped all the climbs, and just stuck to the flat stuff.

20 miles and 1300 feet... Everything still seems to be working after yesterday.

11. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

Nice! IE goods...u found some “snow” too!

12. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Spandex Stampede. Gravel is fun.

20181021_181335.jpg

OTHRider, Luis, Fueledbyex8 and 10 others like this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Evening FLoopage is > couch.:thumbsup:

1540174812385_1540174806181_0_strava7838169760282937122.jpg

14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    New to MTB GF wanted to go for a ride. Short run up and down Hulda Crooks. Enough to boost her confidence, but not over do it. She got upset at one point because she had to get off and walk up a climb. But on the way down, a group of about 6 people all had to do the same, so that helped.

Only one rule #1 violation. I hit what I thought was an obvious large double with a gap...but she tried to follow. Luckily she wasn't going too fast and was able to stop in time...

IMG_20181021_172639623_BURST006.jpg

Screenshot_20181021-205204.png

15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Rule #1 and you need to charge your phone.

16. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I did ride it. On my annual fishing vacation W/Uncle, Bro and Cousin. My boy could not be there due to interview with Prescott PD. May be a cop soon, we will see. Anyway they dropped me at Lower Rock Creek trail head I have a 30 mile adventure ride that I do which gets me back to Bishop, they go fishing. I headed down the upper 2 sections at a quick pace almost paid the price but save it on a sketchy corner. Climbed back to the top after they were over way to quick. This time a full run down. Top 2 sections went by even quicker then on to the 3rd which has some great tech. I cleaned a few things that I had not b4 and bumbled a few that I had. Great full run. 1 min faster on the 100mil bike compared to the 150mil bile hmmm. Heading back to Bishop I run in to the boys and they are welted up. Guess the mosquitos hatched and overran the Owens river. I looked down at my legs they were covered. Threw my bike on the rack jumped in the cab. Called it quits at 21 miles. All in all a great day. Tomorrow get to watch Bighorn Sheep get captured and studied. Looking forward to that. Then up to June lake for the week. Fish on baby.

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Fun social outing this evening. Collected a bunch of disparate riders, and headed to the Herngt 'Aki' Preserve, and checked out the new trail connecting Oakmont and Gateway parks. Really fun little trail going under Live Oak Cyn Rd. We all stopped and screwed around on the rope swing. No Bridge to Terabithia moments. Fun little outing!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1919969391

44760519984_326a9939ee_b.jpg

31612219188_543ce6beef_b.jpg

44572041625_ea0a44ce31_b.jpg

Danimal, OTHRider, CBone and 17 others like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    After a few weeks off, finally squeezed a ride in today. Late start, put in new brake pads in the A.M and adjusted brakes. Really needed the new pads, since the bracket? spring that goes between them was flush with the pad, I'm sure it wasn't good for the rotor... Anyway, decided to go for a short spin from the house. Headed up the street to do the Clamshell loop, in the Monrovia hillside preserve, for the first time. Nice little loop, but those switchbacks are frikken nuts. Decided to take the experienced trail on the way out as well, looks like an awesome narrow, loose, little section, but my switchback game is defintely below par.

19. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    IMG_20181021_113558.jpg IMG_20181021_113414.jpg mt Wilson in the background
    IMG_20181021_114521.jpg those god awful switch backs

IMG_20181021_120150.jpg

IMG_20181021_120212.jpg

CBone, Luis, Fueledbyex8 and 15 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    This is just the best ever!!! I see some friendly faces there as well!

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Good luck to the boy! You done good, Dad... :thumbsup:

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    On Saturday I decided I wanted to do a gravel type ride as I needed to be home early. Basically an out and back on Albertson from home. I started from the west end and added a couple of short sections of single track along the way. I managed an 11.4 pace which I feel is pretty good for a 29lb sled. I'm still thinking I'd want a light rigid MTB over a gravel bike for this type of riding. The wind afforded a clear view to the beach and the temps were perfect.

20181020_102708-1455x1091.jpg 20181020_102836-1304x978.jpg IMG_20181020_103543_990.jpg 20181020_125249-982x738.jpg

OTHRider, CBone, herzalot and 12 others like this.
  23. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Steve, he gave up school a month back which caught us by suprise. When he sent a spread sheet showing us his plans for the future and finances the wife and I calmed down. He got right to it and has a few things on the fire. Proud of his drive.

24. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I rode for the first time in a couple of weeks yesterday. My knee has been hurting a bit, but I decided to push through it in order to participate in the path 20th anniversary shop ride. Glad I did. Once I started pedaling and my legs got warm, the knee pain went away and it stayed away both after and this morning. Yay, riding fixed me!

It was a much bigger group then I usually ride with but it was social and fun. Good to ride with some folks I haven't ridden with in a while. Afterwards, much bbq, bike skills games and drinking occurred at the path. Fun was had by all.

IMG_20181021_084715.jpg
    IMG_20181021_092504.jpg
    MVIMG_20181021_165126.jpg

Danimal, Old&InTheWay, CBone and 18 others like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ track stand practicing?

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Slow race!

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Still nothing as exciting as ping pong... But I did find a nearly intact shopping cart! No hobo mud bog, though... Out and back on the Tijeras Creek Trail, with some extra credit miles from Waterworks to Crown Valley and back on the pavement. The 2.4 Rekons and Fox 34 really soak up the road chatter. :D

Waterworks has seen some attention. The berms have all been nicely improved... No pictures. Too fun to stop... :thumbsup:

19 miles and 1400 feet...

Shortly before the Rwanda ride, one of the locals cut a really cool single track around this little climb- old line to the left. Apparently, no single track is too good for the bulldozer. :thumbsdown:
    IMG_0517.jpg

No hobos, but I did find a shopping cart.
    IMG_0520.jpg

28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    That color really looks good!

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Are you going with orange fork decals or sky blue ones, and are you gonna keep this ride geared?

30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It's still growing on me!