I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I love that Mo calls you out as the "best trail builder in OC" while on a trail that our good friend from LCF built (and has deteriorated 10x as bad as anything @kioti has built). Poetic, and true. Meanwhile, Jim's work on the Luge and Meadows is holding firm after 5 years, with some minor tune ups now and then.

Jim Jennings for Official OC Trail Builder/Consultant!!!

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  2. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oaks weir again.. back to normal.. felt good not as hot in the am..forgot how fun weir can be...

3. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Nice ride with great temps today. Ran into a few mtb peeps I've come to recognize and chat with . Good times for sure.
    The after work rides are paying off.

18.4 and 2460. And a crapload of fun!!!

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Glad to read that you've been getting out regularly. :thumbsup:

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Recovery spin up and across Albertson, down Norway and across Tecate. Tony wanted to go back across Tecate but there are a few long stingers that I just didn't want to climb. Instead we went straight up a freshly graded fire road. I took a pic of one of the easier sections. Next time it will be an out and back on Tecate.
    IMG_20180825_112902_086.jpg 20180825_093748-1612x1209.jpg IMG_20180825_114203_100.jpg

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Spin up to Oakmont trails, but back home the long way. Got the boy to go, that's two days in a row! Never got real hot out, but was pretty humid. Flipped the stem as recommended, and after raising it on the steerer, bars are now 10mm below the saddle, which is perfect!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/9966327

42456582930_918f849402_b.jpg

42456573850_88201fe169_b.jpg

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Don't tell J.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I'm just testing to see how closely he read these postings!

9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Thought about not riding today cause my knees really haven't been happy with me lately. Then I figured I'd do something from the garage cause the wifey requested my presence by early afternoon. Then @Tom the Bomb posted he and @NewEnglander were hitting Wrightwood. Unfortunately I didn't see this till about 2 hours before ride time but that's ok the speed limit is 65 and the duramax goes way faster than that. Showed up a couple minutes late but that's only cause Chevy's are programmed to shut off at 96mph.

The ride was awesome. Temps could not have been any better especially since we rode mostly in the shade today. Dirt was drier than a popcorn fart and the others were left searching for traction. Not me though I at least had decent grip thanks to the 29 x 2.4 Rekons. I watched TTB avoid death about 5 times as he rode his XC bike with minimal tread. Heard Mike hollering behind me so I'm guessing he found out there wasn't any traction and he forgot his dropper post. Few hikers but we killed em with kindness. Good times.

Not many pics cause we were to busy hauling the mail, Gotta say though that TTB was totally rocking the orange duds and he would've looked good on my Hightower. I don't know how he does it.
    IMG_7847.jpg

Not so much a lake but more like a swamp now. Bike looks good though.
    IMG_7854.jpg

We all blew some corners and donated today though. So much good stuff at WW.
    IMG_7858.jpg

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

11. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay

12. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    He's a regular Clotheshorse! Natural ability.....

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:...:D:D:D...:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao...:cool:

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Well today I rode.

For her bday.... @horsebikerider wanted to go to Skypark. So that is what we did.

We met a few friends up there.....ran into @Sidewalk

Were on our bikes before 10:00.

Found our way to the climb.....not bad at all.

Made several runs down Sleigh, Arrow Evergreen along with 1 run down Comet and Jumpline.

Sorry......no ride pics

Here is my take......

The trails are well done....took me a little bit to figure out the lay of the land. Rode with a friend of a friend that rides there regularly so he knew the speed to hit the jumps. So I jumped in behind and followed. I'm still not a big jumper, but I was getting more comfortable by the end of the day.

I enjoyed all the wood features. Really enjoyed the skinny ladder bridges. We did Evergreen but did all the "alt" lines.

The girls all decided it was time to have a drink.....so Ray and I did a few more runs. We headed up and hit Comet. Now this was a trail. I liked that it was raw....very raw. Not at all groomed like all the other trails. It was definitely more technical than the others. The wood features were more tricky.....skipped the drop.

The only close call I had was in the Skills Park at the bottom of Comet.....I took the skinny farthest to the left. As I went over the first tire, I thought for sure the rear tire was going to slip off the plank....but it turned out ok.

I woke up this morning with a sore shoulder, so after 10 runs, it was bugging me pretty good.

The rest of the gang hit up the Zip Line.

Suz and Rachel in the stylish mountaineering gear
    IMG_3975.jpg

Suz liked her new helmet.....
    IMG_3978.jpg

Not that one......this one....
    IMG_5643.JPG

We headed home through Running Springs, which meant lunch......

IMG_3988.jpg

So ended up with 10 runs.......13 miles/2600'

It was fun....but it isn't my thing. It's fun to do every once in a while.....I couldn't do it every weekend. Just felt like we were sessioning the same trail over and over.

The trails were never crowded.....except for the climb. However the top of the climb turns into a cluster when it's busy....people just stop in the middle.

IMG_3988.jpg

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Oh yeah, I also got stung by a hornet on one of the runs. MutherF*cker

16. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Back up on SART today. One of the guys who couldn’t go last week felt deprived so we made him drive for the return trip. Obviously drier conditions and once again, virtually empty trails. Saw my 1st ever dirt bikes going up SART from Glass Rd to South Fork. Not legal of course and since I rode the same trail just last week, I saw the damage caused by just 3 dirt bikes on trails they didn’t belong. I was out front and the 1st two riders wanted to play chicken with me. They flinched first and went around me. The 3rd guy actually pulled off and yielded the trail.

17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yah what Voodoo said! Great riding today guys. It was loose for for me. Hauling the mail is right! You rode it hard Tom! Mike was strong! Good chit baby!

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Hey look, there's a new sticker at the lower Fern Truck Trail saddle!

IMG_5613.JPG

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What am I missing here?

20. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Before pic? Maybe?

mountaingirl sara, Mikie and scottay like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Success!!!

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Congrats, a dog pissed on a hydrant like the other ones did.

23. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Blackstar night ride. Tree Farm to Beeks Place Gate. Early on connected with a guy named Paul and we rode up to the first Mariposa sign together. At that point he turned around and I kept going. Cool, 55 degrees in Hidden Ranch, and very peaceful up there. Was surprised to find the Beeks Place Gate on Main Divide unlocked and open. The closure signage was still on it so I respected it.

20180825_210604.jpg

20180825_210202.jpg

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    My guess... He's been asking @Mikie for an IMTB sticker, but has chosen to display his newly acquired (and stuck) Vassago sticker. Send the man a sticker, Mikie! :D:p

25. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Boutique bike company sticker, my new hardtail.

26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    BINGO!!! :laugh:

27. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Wow.... That's dry!

28. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Saturday, hit my first proper black diamond trail in so cal. Tour guide extraordinaire @SnakeCharmer showed me around Brown mountain El Prieto. Great ride. We took our time in the climb, since it was late afternoon start and the heat was getting us . Brown was a blast. I wasn't sure what to expect for El P.

That trail is right where I should be. Just out of my zone, walked a bunch of sections, but I think a few times through and I should be able to get them. Saw some lines, just need to commit and keep momentum. Although a couple spots I think I would want to invest in some knee and elbow protection before I go all in. Narrow trail and exposure was a non issue, didn't even notice!
    This trail is the perfect spot for illustrating how useful a dropper post would be.

Overall, great loop, great ride, definitely adding it to regular rotation.

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    That area is awesome... :thumbsup:

I think EL P is the one I followed @bigringrider101 down when he had metal on metal brakes... With no pads left. :D

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Yes, that was fun. I was a bit surprised at how warm it was but then again that climb is facing the sun. I didn't get any shots of Derek rolling through El P but I got a few from up on Upper Fern and there is another one in the Relive report.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g24082436829

IMG_5624.JPG