I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Yesterday didn't make riding plans. Slept in then through out a quick ride text to my local group but got no takers. As soon as it warmed up I headed out to Chino Hills for some hot miles. Up Skully, up Telegraph spur to the San Juan marker. Down Southridge, Telegraph to Rapture, Upper Aliso to Bane and out. Hot ride! Had plenty of h2o though. Ended up with 31/4500. Nothing exciting but still a good ride to keep somewhat in shape.
    IMG_2007.JPG

Saw the TTB invite to Explo for today. How could I resist. New dirt for me and the Slayer was in for new dirt as well. Up the pavement to the lookout tower. The views... Down Exploration was a hoot! Twisty turny techy chunky fun. The roller was cool. Still a little beat from yesterday I wasn't going to go for lap 2 at first but glad I did it a second time. Exploration rocks! 21/3900. Good times, great friends.
    IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

2. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Made it out for the scv tapia extravaganza, of course I did since I ride there all the time :) fun times, as what always happens with a big group it ended up splintered with several small groups finishing in different directions. As @Voodoo Tom said the beard as been somewhat tamed :( every now and then a married man has to do something so the wife thinks she's in control ;)

20180819_084342.jpg

20180819_084345.jpg

20180819_084350.jpg

20180819_084405.jpg

3. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Been busy but got out before 8. Saw one rider on top of the world and another on Robi East. Only one set of lights on each. 1/2 moon tonight, it will be getting really good the next few days
    Happy empty trails.

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ride #1 today did not go so well... So I took a mulligan and headed for the beach with @mtnbikej . Start from Ridge Park at 4:00. The temps were a little warmer than I hoped, but every now and then we'd get an ocean breeze to cool things off. This was my first time up BFI. I'm pretty sure that stands for Big F***ing Incline. I did not clean the steep techy section in the beginning. My heart rate monitor told me enough was enough about the 1/2 way point. :gag:

I don't know the trail or fire road names very well out there... I need to go wander around on my own one of these days, and pay attention to all those brown signs. I know we hit Missing Link and Fenceline, as well as BVD. And we climbed No Dogs... BVD was pretty cool... With a couple runs, I think I'd like it better than Lizards. The climb out, however, was :gag:. :p

All in all, fun day by the ocean... 21.3/3544 for a daily total of 31/4500.

And then there was grub at Sharky's. Mmmmm.... burritos. :inlove:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well my O'Dark Thirty was a bust when my alarm went off and I had a twinge in my back, so I went back to sleep for another hour and it wasn't any better....I then called it and stayed home.

Instead I chose to head out this afternoon when temps were going to be tolerable. I set my sights on El Moro.....I mean temps should be cooler down there.

Well @Faust29 joined me after his quickie ride this morning. Down No Dogs to the bottom, then up BFI....yeah, we did.......walk it. Up Moro Ridge, down BVD...it is pretty torn up. Up Emerald Canyon, down Missing Link, down Slow N Easy, up No Dogs.....then someone had the idea of doing extra credit down into Shady Canyon. Out and back....the climb up was a hell of a grind.

Sweated like crazy.

Sharky's afterward.

21 / 3500'

6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Just did bvd yesterday... not bad for summer.. u should of seen it last fall...

7. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Thats where this tortoise passed me.. somewhere in quail

20180819_134802.jpg

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A luge run from the house... No PRs were ever in danger. Up and down. :p Hot and humid on the way to the grade. Even hotter and more humid on STT. :gag: Temps started to cool down when I got back into O'Neill. :thumbsup:

Santiago Canyon had some road construction going on right at the new construction site, and I was squeezed into one lane with the cars, while hugging the plastic K-rails. Not fun...

17/2200

9. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    I wasn’t planning on riding today. Had two chicken enchiladas and a Sculpin Grapefruit IPA for dinner and was migrating to the couch when I decided to detour to the garage and grab the Tranny for a quick spin across the street at Calavera. I didn’t toss on a light so I was chasing daylight. Felt good to get out. Now I’m sitting in the backyard drinking another Sculpin.

F16CBB09-8941-464A-B090-CE96AC31FE2D.jpeg 56EC53F0-3278-437B-B80A-3A303A524443.jpeg B66818A1-0B74-4CBB-928F-2D2883CC4A8A.jpeg

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  10. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    was gonna floop again during lunch hour or two.. but decided to hit the oaks. .. was stretching the one hour and half window..
    Wow, it felt hot... the midday sun just beating down on me.. I had no energy... cut it short and now back at work.. a few hearty souls out there riding.. all solo.
    back to work!

mike, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    What is the head angle on the twitchy ss machine you rode? Thx

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The opposite of Low/Long/Slack......Tall/Short/Tucked

Grego, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    #mtbikerswhotuckit

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  14. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Just trying to gather intel for my Bikepacking bike frame choice seeing as how I won't be able to test ride before I buy.:whistling:

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    @Grego bike is an older 26” wheeled bike.

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    But it's Ti!!!

Grego, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The usual Runkle, Albertson, Norway and back. It's so dusty out there it turned my vacation beard white. Got a late start and it warmed up rather fast so I kept it short. Ready for the heat to go away. Maybe a little more tomorrow.
    20180822_184355-1389x1457.jpg IMG_20180822_115552_233.jpg

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I don’t think @Grego was enamored with the ride qualities of the titanium when he ate dirt on Motorway. :p

Grego, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The Chameleon has the same HTA as your Hightower... :whistling:

mike, Cyclotourist, Stkx66 and 2 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... It was supposed to be a ride with @mtnbikej to Old Camp. I'll let him fill in the details there...

After we parted ways early on, I was just going to do a quick luge loop. Then it was just going to be a little ways up Goat Hill. Then it was going to be the top of Goat Hill... Then it was going to be Herz's patented turnaround point. But there was a rabbit in front, and he pulled me along. :D Next thing I knew, I found myself at the Cadillac junction. Certainly not fast, but the temps became very nice once I made the turn past GH and it was just too nice to turn around. :thumbsup:

On the way back down, there were quite a few guys hanging out at the Luge flag, so I made the call to skip it. I won't be riding much the next few days, so I wanted some more saddle time. STT is fun both ways...

16 miles and 2500 feet...

Sign at STT and Cadillac
    IMG_0166.jpg

mike, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'm surprised Maple Springs is closed...didn't think the fire got down the north side of the slope.

Edit: Of course I meant the south side...d'oh!!

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The entire mountain is closed... Step off the road on the side of Black Star or Skyline (north closure boundary) and you're in the closure all the way to the 74.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, I read the CNF website closure order. Looks like B* - Skyline - Sierra Peak is about it for the near- (maybe long-) term future.

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... I've wanted to explore South Main Divide...

Mikie likes this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    It's paved. :p But still worth visiting. :thumbsup:

mike, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    The notice reads, "Until the fire is declared out." So hopefully they do that soon and pull back the boundary. And maybe they can keep those fines in place for vehicles on Cadillac.

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I rode my bike yesterday and somehow ended up in a video!?! I was just finishing HABing up Lizard after two descents, and my buddy Mo came flying around a corner and almost took me out! Can you say sight lines?

Anyway, he was shooting some video for his YouTube channel, and I made the final cut. :thumbsup: I'd like to say I ride like him, but holy carp! Is that the same trail "I just rode?"

Anyway, Mo's the greatest, his channel is Awesome MTB, and here's the clip:

mike, herzalot, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  28. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Marshall bomb today with T-2 and Turbo SS Redwoods

mike, mtnbikej, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    OCers, sorry to hear of the closure down there in Cleveland.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Started off with the intentions of going to Old Camp.

Kind of a late notice ride. Wasn’t sure I was going to ride or not....was feeling kinda tired. Got home and cracked open a new Monster that Suz had brought home from OTH. Only drank 1/2 of it.

Took me a bit to warm up going up Santiago Cyn Rd and up Modjeska Grade. Hit the dirt and things started to go sideways. In addition to it feeling extremely hot, suddenly my pupils dilated, which caused the head spins followed by light headedness. Felt like I was gonna puke. Stopped for a few mins to collect my bearings. The last time I felt like this was the last 12 hr race I did.

I knew pretty quick I was turning around. Ran into an old friend while we were standing there.

So I knocked out a grand 4.75 mile ride.