I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Marshall bomb today!

Faust29, mike, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Early morning GE with @scottay to beat the heat. Still humid and warm but we rode up the singletrack to try and keep shaded and it worked. Trail needs some love by most peoples standards as it's getting really overgrown with sharp bushes and the tall dead grass makes it hard to see the trail in some spots. I think my derailleur has a magnetic attraction to bushes and twigs as I had to stop tons of times to clear it out.

Only thing green today was Scottay's truck and I think the horses liked it.
    IMG_7821.jpg

IMG_7824.jpg

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I sure hope I am lucky enough to have the horses around one day when I am up at GE. That's what I get for not being there with you guys this morning. :(

Not that I had a bad ride, though. I'm waiting for Relive to finish up and then I will post a RR.

4. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Relive was a lil slow today...

Ride stats and a few pics from today are in the report:

https://www.relive.cc/view/g23831831355

The trail is in fairly good shape but many areas are overgrown. I didn't see anyone at all the entire length on my way to Corral Canyon. I rested under a tree upon the new bench at the Corral Canyon parking area and then a runner passed by. On the way back, I passed a cutie who was walking her French Bulldog. I thought to myself that it was kind of cruel to put a bull breed through such a rough hike considering the respiratory issues they have due to the animated head shape. Soon after, I passed by a young couple, and then on the downhill section next to Tunnel One, I passed by an older couple. That's it. No riders at all. Very unusual. A guy with a fatbike on the back of his car pulled into the parking lot to check out the trailhead. He asked me about it and he asked my suggestion for a regular mountain bike because he was ready to create a quiver. :D

On another subject, I kept getting tiny pebbles in one of my riding shoes today, but not both. Upon inspection, I discovered this:

IMG_5543.JPG

5. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Nice romp around el moro laguna and quail.. went down cattle crest.. saw my buddy in bright orange ahead of me at the fox? Shady canyon split.. over to the left..so went on fox..whoops wrong way..
    Fox sucks going up hill... finally in shady.. which makes a left after the fork..
    Still pretty awesome day..views from quail serrano ridge nice...
    Rattlesnake lost its bite..
    Good day to not be on the floop...

6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Snow Valley W/ @Sidewalk and another buddy. Place is coming along. Josh took both KOMs from me, I had it coming with all the trash talk. We also visited Rim Nordic across the street prepping for the Enduro in Sept. Life is good back on the bike.

25263.jpeg
    Oh ya, we were haul'n. Fast is fun.

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Up Santiago truck trail, turn around, head down the Luge. I wasn't feeling as strong a usual so took it easy down the Luge.
    My virtually new fork feels harsh and is only getting about 50/60 % travel, it was getting almost full travel last week. Will set up sag and rebound again then see how it feels.
    A fun ride!

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    As planned I pedaled up Clear Creek Trail from basecamp @4800', planning to out-back the trail.

2.5 miles of sandy desert FS roads shortcut the pavement to the TH.

cct-rim1.jpg

Not an early start, but no cars at the TH (?)

cct-rim2.jpg

After some somewhat sandy riding on moderate grades through high desert, the trees and shade dominate.

cct-rim3.jpg

I was thinking I might explore upper Clear Creek Road, which leads up toward Spooner Summit on the Tahoe Rim. It looked like the road terminates at the highway also heading up, a couple miles before Spooner. But I got to the new CC extension 8.5 miles up and, coolio, it was obviously finished to Spooner TH. Its completion is within the last month. So I headed up.

cct-rim4.jpg

Crossing Clear Creek, I decided to fill my empty drink bottle with water, despite no purification. Backup water, I rationalized.

Continuous but moderate climbing led to Spooner TH.

cct-rim5.jpg

At Spooner I was still hoping for more climbing and descending. A cool trail runner I chatted with gave me a coconut water, and that was enough to get me up the last 5 miles to the Lake Overlook. Thanks, Matt!

cct-rim6.jpg

The miles and el started to take a toll, and that section of the TRT just gets rougher as one heads up. So I was glad to be turning it around for the big ST trip back, mostly descending.

Destination Carson Valley, below.

cct-rim7.jpg

Stopping again to refill my backup bottle. I drank at least a quart of the cool, clear water, and I doubt there is any issue with it. But I’ll know soon if so. Next time, Steripen…duh.

cct-rim8.jpg

I was surprised to see so many riders heading up as I descended. What a bunch of sleepyheads! Breeze did keep any heat in check.

Had to kick it into gear with the Lake Trail coming up. This one around 45/5000. Pay now, or pay later...

Happy weekend, go ride your bike.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Spectacular :thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Went up to Big Bear to see X play last night. Great show! Followed that up with a quick ride this morning on Skyline from Snow Point to Radford junction. There was a 100 mile ultra-marathon going on, so we hopped off Skyline and headed up Pirates for some out and back fun. PERFECT weather and conditions up there!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1781055893

44073584812_648affba48_b.jpg

29184868287_78b5c3168c_z.jpg

Grego, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 10 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Who is that performing live?

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Someone skimming again? Reading comprehension F!

13. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You’re killin me man :cry::cry::cry:

Grego, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Ah, yes. I hadn't read the post, I was just smelling the roses.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Amongst other things...

RR to follow.:laugh:

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Social gathering at Tapia with a bunch of SCV Mountain Bike Group members and guests. Pretty much a cruiser which was good cause there's some heavy hitters in that group. Good times had by all including a few imtbers. I rode the hardtail with the near slick ikons and had a blast.

I think it was a group of about 25-30 riders.
    IMG_7835.jpg

And I got to ride with my buddy @Postal Pat who went postal on his beard earlier this summer.
    IMG_7836.jpg

17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    So @Derkderkall threw out MTT for this morning with a 7 am start. I saw @SnakeCharmer throw his hat in the ring. I didnt want to chime in since I didn't know for sure I could make it on time.

Turned out I was there at 7. Yay me! :whistling: Got togged up, and...ooops. @SnakeCharmer seemed to have the wrong cleats on his shoes. :oops: I tried to talk him into riding in his sneakers but he wasn't having none of that.

Derek and I headed up the trail. Good temps, yakked our way up the hill, and before we knew it we were at the top. Didn't see a single rider descending while we climbed. That's rare.

Saw a couple knuckleheads headed down sans helmets while we were hanging out at the top gate. :thumbsup: We just shook our heads.

Headed down, trail is a romp as always. I did slip my front tire on one curve but since no one saw it did it really happen??;)

Fun ride and good company. Nice to meet you Derek and thanks for letting me tag along.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15.5 / 2,500
    20180819_081004.jpg

20180819_091859.jpg

20180819_081014.jpg

Cyclotourist, UPSed, Grego and 13 others like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Glad to hear that the ride went well. @Runs with Scissors is my hero today. I would have felt terrible if it was just @Derkderkall and I because I talked him into coming earlier than he had originally planned to but with Mark there, I knew all would be good. :thumbsup:

Turns out that I had the correct cleats, but that I had installed them upside down! Too much on my plate this month, hard to relax and stay focused. :mad:

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Wow.....you climbed up the trail this time.......excellent.

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Only because @SnakeCharmer couldn't see it. :p

21. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Yup, got to the lot just before 7 , as @SnakeCharmer was pulling in. Got the bikes ready and noticed an imtbtrails jersey, turns out @Runs with Scissors decided to join in. Just about ready to go and S.C had to drop out. So RWS and I headed up the trail. Nice and shady most of the way up, a few spots where the sun was hitting the trail but comfortable temps all the way. Felt the heat after we started back down from the top though. Lots of runners out early, and one bike climbing not far ahead. At the top was when we saw the shuttlers without helmets headed down, as well as another pair who seemed flabbergasted that we climbed the trail instead of doing just down...

Fun downhill, had a few close calls with branches, roots and overshooting a couple turns too fast,

Glad i was convinced to start earlier, it was getting hot out there...

Good times.

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode my bike this morning... Decided to take the plastic Highball out for a spin up Black Star. All was going well. Too well. Then the Singulator made a few noises. I thought, "No problem... I'll adjust it and be on my way." I figured there might be a hitch, as I just switched the chainring and cog yesterday.

I loosened the bolt with my handy dandy 5mm tool, and then reached in the pack for the 16mm cone wrench. The 16mm cone wrench that is absolutely essential to readjust the spring on the Surly Singulator... :poop: After dumping out the contents of my pack, I grudgingly admitted to myself that the essential 16mm cone wrench was probably safely at home on the bench (It was). :poop: :poop: :poop:

My uphill ride was over, but how to keep the chain on and get back to the car without doing the walk of shame? Garmin leash to the rescue!

IMG_0160.jpg

9 miles... 900 feet. Avoided the walk of shame. :thumbsup:

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Zip ties FTW!!! :thumbsup: I have three or four in my seat bag at all times.

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    And the MacGyver Award goes to.....

....@Faust29!!!!

(the crowd erupts in deafening cheers)

25. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Exploration x2 with T-2, Grego, Vincent and Jason x1 heard a twang half way down and when I got home saw the broken spoke. Good to see JJ and buddies up there. Gooooooood chit baby, Baaaaaaallllllzzzzzz!

IMG_2744.jpg

26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ Tom, you're killing me with these consistent Exploration Trail visits. Yes, I agree, it's that good!! :thumbsup:

27. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Hey all.. exploration trail compare to sart. Or skyline or?? Worth riding over sart or skyline? Dont get to go up big bear too often so..
    Thx for input..

28. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Someone skimming
    Nice to see you also. Good times.

29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    It's different. SART and Skyline are XC, Exploration is technical. Not crazy technical though, you'll be laughing, giggling, hooting, and hollering. Yep, that kind of fun.

30. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    What Snake said. One loop is only 10 miles. 2 loops is worth the trip if you are coming from afar. Tricky fun, techy. Not beginner friendly. Beautiful up there. Really cool views. It is only 45 min from my house and 15-20 deg cooler up there.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, T-2 and 10 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?