I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Stasis! Hubs that work sure help get there :thumbsup:

2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Ha! It's not a guarantee, especially given the speed, potholes and poor sight lines of the 3 mile paved segment. Holy cow! Best part of the descent, but nerve wracking with low light and blind corners.

Catastrophic failure always help me diagnose!

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    The @SnakeCharmer Dawn Patrol was out and rolling this morning. Upon his arrival, he was a bit shocked to see an almost empty parking lot. Other than 3 big trucks loaded with bikes who were there to catch the shuttle van service, it was completely empty. He thought to himself, "where in the heck is everyone???" So, he readied his gear and set off. Other than a pair of riders a bit ahead, there wasn't a soul on the mountain. And at the lower saddle of Fern Truck Trail, the riders continued on toward El P, but the Snake wasn't done climbing yet. In fact he thought to himself, "Heck, this is where the ride gets fun!" So, he took a breather and then set off toward the Upper Saddle (Brown Mountain). The climb was peaceful. The sun had yet to crest the mountain so it was a shaded climb the entire way. It was obvious to the Snake that nobody had yet climbed that portion of the trail because was eating spider webs the whole way up. :laugh:

The Snake reached Brown Mountain Saddle and enjoyed a nice rest. Still no sun from over the mountain and it would never show the entire time he was at the upper saddle. He snapped a few shots and took in the glorious views.

Then suddenly, that unmistakable sound of a drive train straining to make it's way up the trail, and up the mountain. And who should appear from out of the scrub brush??? .....(Hurry up Snake, TELL US!!!).....
    None other than @burt, himself!

So, the Snake and @burt chatted for a minute or two. His plan was to drop down Ken Burton and the Snake's was to enjoy a speedfest, which meant blasting back down the way he came up. And blast down, he did. Well, not so much... Here comes the crowd! Hikers, runners, and friendlies were now making the ascent. At that point, the Snake knew that he was not truly alone. The Apocalypse had not occurred down below. He was relieved.

He arrived at the now slammed, overflowing parking lot with cars double and triple parked like a stuffed can of sardines and he thought to himself, "That's more like it"...

13.51 miles
    1850'
    1016 calories

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

Redman, Danimal, Cisco Roots and 19 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    That first pic is fan- freaking tastic!

Redman, kioti, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Early solo loop from the garage and my Ripley dang near got me shot:confused:. Didn't really have a plan other than to ride before it got too hot. Rode the Ripley last week and it needed a new BB(After like 3500 miles) so today I rode it again to test the new parts. I don't know what it is about this thrashed blue bike but I still love the thing. Decided to hit some of the trails less traveled at Tapia but had to alter the plan after realizing the spongy front brake turned in to a front brake that wasn't there after bouncing around. It pumped back up then faded several times so it wasn't worth going for the steep drops I had in mind. Went blasting down "criminal ridge" which I've taken a couple times but I apparently missed a fork in the trail. No worries cause the left route was pretty fun and sketchy but then it ended abruptly at the perimeter fence of wayside prison. I knew how to get where I wanted but that would involve hopping that fence to make it easy or hike a biking back the way I came so I decided that fence was no big deal. This lasted roughly a minute till the popo came storming up and had a chat with me. He asked how I got there and I asked how the heck do I get out of here:rolleyes:? His reply was on the other side of that fence if you want to get out alive:Roflmao. Actually they were pretty cool about it and we all laughed. So I hopped back over the fence and proceeded to do some serious busk whacking like way worse than @Mikie's secret trail till I found the original trail I should have been on. The Ripley was made for bushwhacking. From here just worked my way back up to the main fire road and decided to head to the shop for a water refill and soldier on home. Temps were good till the last couple miles.
    Solo loop getting lost.jpg

Redman, Danimal, pperrelle and 17 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Gold medals AND you didn’t get shot! Nice job amigo!

kioti, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Be sure to tell this "snake" character that the first picture is awesome! Glad he got a ride in before the others.

I was too buried in a face-palm to actually read the report.

kioti, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Solo ride up to Tower 45 and a little further. Legs were fine. I was not.
    19.7 miles
    3,351'

20180728_075333-2016x1512.jpg 20180728_075352-1612x1209.jpg 20180728_082124-2016x1512.jpg

Afterwards Jennifer and I took a little road spin over to Good Shepherd Church. There was a bike rest stop put on by All Pro Bicycles in memoriam of Phil's passing. Their mechanic actually built this bench in Phil's memory. Pretty cool.
    13.5 miles
    306'

20180728_102517-2016x1512.jpg 20180728_102530-2016x1512.jpg 20180728_102542-2016x1512.jpg

OTHRider, Danimal, pperrelle and 16 others like this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Rode Lehigh today, it was hotter than expected but still fun. Had to cut the ride short due to helping out a rider with a sliced tire. 304AFD60-737F-4A30-983C-08AC107654FF.jpeg

11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    awesomeness :thumbsup::cool: I say we get what we give..you we’re a giver today!

Danimal, kioti, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Dan, is that Tehachapie?
    If it is it would be great if the developed a Bike Park, like Sky Park!

13. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    DERAIL AND DEBBIE DOWNER ALERT!!!
    Speaking of Skypark~
    When I stacked on Thurs the medic who attended me was the same person who helped my friend Corey when he broke his neck up there..it seemed like fate because she was able to tell me all about it and even showed me the location of his crash... I’ve always wanted to know the details. We teared up, she had known about his death, I was able to fill her in on his mental state at the time and let her know that was not the Corey I knew..the pain meds had taken a toll mentally.
    Fate is funny sometimes and life is messy, fragile and beautiful.
    And NO I’m not on pain meds... just reflecting.
    Carry on :)

Stkx66, Danimal, LLPoolJ and 18 others like this.
  14. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Yes it is Tehachapi, originally they were going to develop a shuttle run area and it was in the millions to do. That is when the Lehigh cement company donated the land to develop the trails. The TMTA has done very well making and maintaining new trails.

I went to school with the person who puts on the Grand and Brew Fondo’s and she still is trying get to a gondola style riding above the Lehigh area.

SingleTrackJB, Rumpled, kioti and 8 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I rode... The original plan was to do a loop from the house, and meet @mtnbikej at the tree farm partway in. I was thinking Maple Springs, over the peak and down the Jims. Then reality set back in and I remembered that I have hardly ridden over the last month... :(

So, I drove to the tree farm and met J at 2:45 A.M. Before I left the house, I checked the temps in the Santa Anas. 85 at Sierra Peak, 77 at Pleasants, and 74 at Santiago Peak. At 2:00 in the morning. o_O

The ride up the canyon was pleasant and the temps were cooler than up high. A little foggy and hardly any traffic. Just a mellow roadie cruise to the dirt. A lot of the holes on Maple Springs have been graded and filled in, but it seems most of the rock has just been covered up. One good rain and it will be exposed again, I'm guessing. From Four Corners to Modjeska Peak, however, has been scraped! There were a couple sections where the rock had been pushed to the side to form a rocky guard rail- several feet deep in spots. It seemed strange without having to fight the rock to keep momentum. If it's still like that for Vision Quest, it is going to change the character of the race. The Maple/Main Divide miles will not be as punishing.

The sun was just peaking up over the mountains when we reached Modjeska Peak... Modjeska on the left and Santiago on the right.

IMG_0042.jpg

Going down without the rocks seemed like cheating. :thumbsdown: Still fun, though... 29 miles and 4000 feet.

Stkx66, scan, Redman and 17 others like this.
  16. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

vws742.jpg

Sierra Peak Temp. this morning. :eek:

17. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Snake beautiful px!

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Rumpled and 5 others like this.
  18. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    El moro today.. hit lizards.. pct ..emerald.. just a perfect day for mtbkin w overcast views of pacific..
    Lots if hikers bikers...

Redman, Danimal, Cisco Roots and 11 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So wait - a friend of yours named Corey broke his neck and subsequently died as a result of a crash at Skypark? I had not heard of this. So disturbing and devastating. So sorry for his family and friends - including you. We expect injury in our sport. We don't expect the ultimate sacrifice. :(

EDIT: I was briefed on the circumstances. Tragic loss.

20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    He didn't die as a result from the crash. I'll let Sara explain. :)

Cyclotourist, kioti, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  21. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    My exact route as well ... Bit later I suspect very few peeps... Cept the tall dude on the new blur... Who was a blur when he passed me on the climb. Yup temps were fine.

22. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Same here Mikie! Positive healing vibes to you!

23. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Rode The Suntop Loop today. Been yearning for backcountry type riding and this was it. Suntop sits close to the base of base Mt Rainier. The views up top are unreal.

The ride starts w a 6.5 miles fire road grind. Thought all the climbing was done here so mentally was ready to go downhill. Well Suntop has a pretty steep climb for the first 2 miles and this zapped me! Had to walk a couple spots. My body is still reeling from my crash a couple days ago so that’s my excuse. Nah, it was just one of those days.

The Suntop descent was excellent. Unfortunately there was a trail runner race so our DH was broken up by tons of trail riders.

The ride ends w a trail called Skookum flats which traverses along the White River. It is a killer trail with lots of tech, rocks, roots and is stunningly beautiful old growth PNW forest.

Total ride was 21 and 4700 gain.

197A909C-6861-41F9-A3F1-820451351A2E.jpeg

D09BA907-7DDE-4DC6-A71D-63FF9D443CEA.jpeg

B591DDD1-E204-4C8B-B625-F165074251C6.jpeg

C0D10F39-55AA-418A-A0AB-FC8E520ECA71.jpeg

8D7257C5-649D-4711-BF4A-E5B0681B10BE.jpeg

59BFB3B6-9763-4C75-B351-53E978B26DBA.jpeg

OTHRider, Stkx66, Robbie and 22 others like this.
  24. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Pct is good both ways...lots of bridges..
    There seems to be some extrea credit around there..

Thank u for whoever that maintains it...

25. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Thats rough man....

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  26. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Damn, hadn't been on this thread in a few days and then Gary told me @mountaingirl sara broke herself off again.o_O Talk about some bad luck!:eek: Bummer I hope you heal up quick sara! :(

Ended up riding again today with my buddies Brandon and Tim. If you party people remember back in Feb I took brandon out on his first ride. Now he has a fancy new Commencal Meta 4.2 and is all about the MTB life. Tim got into riding recently as well and was rockin his Giant Trance. They wanted me to give them a tour of some of the Laguna trails I like to ride so this morning we left my house around 930. Up cow trail, to bommer, down old emerald as warm up and down a trail I never ride, TNA. :sneaky: The original plan was CT, OE, Lizards and then finish on TnA. Well, that was a little ambitious for my fitness level to say the least. :eek: Had a good run down OE and a little faster this time. Tim and Brandon seemed to like that trail as well. I was little nervous about hitting TnA due to my collarbone not being 100% just yet. Off we went and no crashes but definitely not a great run. Brandon and Tim did great though. I did a couple of the chunky lines towards the bottom a couple of times so they could see where to go which seemed to help. I ended not doing the v rock thingy because I didn't want to risk it but ironically did the final roller.:rolleyes: I think Brandon got a full pull this time and Tim came damn close which is pretty impressive since it was his maiden voyage. Good times and stoked to have some even more riding buddies. Plus they actually think I rip so that's an ego boost. Shhhhh don't tell them!:whistling:

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Great to hear new tales from the trails. Glad you are back! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29, kioti and 4 others like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I know I know, :unsure:. Thanks Taylor

Danmtchl, Faust29, kioti and 3 others like this.
  29. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    @Sara, so sorry to hear about your crash. Major bummer, healing vibes girl. Hope you avoid the knife!

30. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66

AWESOME!