I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Almost ran it over... didn't flinch at all as I passed by... turnbull canyon... nice day.. back at work..

Danmtchl likes this.
  2. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Haven't been to turnbull in about two years... the place is not bike friendly at all.. no parking signs everywhere...and now the good single tracks have been roped off. Lots of no bikes signs every where... its really too bad.. the 7th street side is still open but the single tracks off the water tower side is now off limits.. it was never my favorite but one less place to ride in urban areas...

Danmtchl, kioti, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Thats a San Diego Gopher snake. Very nice! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, konakc, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  5. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Plus the big rocks on the switchback on 7th street loop...

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Solo ride in Aliso today. Started at Canyon view, up Cholla, down Lynx (seemed easier than last time i did it, which may be a year), up Cholla again, down Rock It. I cant get my head around how to get up the first hard bit after the rock garden (where i actually go over the rocks, no cheating anymore for me!!). All fun. :thumbsup: Over to Mathis. One guy with a electric bike went ahead of me. Cheating! :sneaky: Mathis seems to have 10 false summits. But a good climb. Then that last climb to the actual top of the world is somehow always hardest. Heading over the Meadows, which was the BEST it has ever been! :inlove: What a blast of a trail. I PRed, which still means rather slow ;). To Dripping Springs. Then i chose just to go back via the canyon trail. :thumbsup:

Danimal, Danmtchl, Grego and 8 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Stay high and left. Go straight - over the two foot high rock and then straight up the right side of the little climb. Works every time. Do not try to ride around to the right then left and up. You won't make it. Very few do.

I cut a ton of braking bumps out of Lynx a month ago, towards the bottom. Maybe that made it feel easier? Like all trails, it's gotten wider, so there are probably more cheater lines than there used to be.

konakc, kioti, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  8. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Thanks ! :thumbsup: I think i know what you mean and how to do it next time. Sometimes those 2 foot rocks seem intimidating but it often works out.

Not sure about Lynx what made it easier. There was definitely more choice, i think at one place i may have used a cheater line. It is a fun trail, it flows well. Probably just as an extra to do on top of Rock it. That’s why i did it straight at the start, i probably would have bailed otherwise :unsure:

Danmtchl, Faust29, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    After-work ride up in the SBNF foothills. Literally the only biped out there, so a great re-charge! I've been lacking enthusiasm to go on after-work rides, so it was great to get this one all to myself!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550045438

41898720071_fd8a0f78a0_b.jpg

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Phenomenal photo!

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, kioti and 3 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Thank you, sir!

12. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Rode Aliso this morning. It was hot! Up Canyon Acres, down Rock It, back up Rock It, down, um, down :)3$3&:&:)@&! Back into the canyon. La Sirena for lunch.

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Rode Tapia this evening with a group of 10 or so solid riders including @Luis & @Postal Pat. Ride was lead by James Voshell of Ethos components(owner/mastermind of some bad ass helmet lights). James had lights on hand to demo as he always does so several of us grabbed one. Social ride with some uphill hammering led to some PR's for most. Took some new to me sketchy singletrack which was fun. Coming down G-Out in the dark is entertaining. There's a couple of "low bridge" trees that everybody know about. I forgot about one and it nearly tore my head off but I'm sure I left a good dent in the tree. Didn't hurt the Ethos helmet light. Was trying to ride conservatively to keep from crash landing on my still healing right shoulder. This plan worked perfectly as instead I crashed landed on my left shoulder. No harm no foul though this time but I can't believe the Hightower had the nerve to spit me off. Post ride smack talk and adult beverages capped it off.

The Blues Brothers ride again. Dang Luis it's been way too long since we've ridden together...
    IMG_7392.jpg

Bad things come in threes so they say...
    IMG_7393.jpg

14. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Yup, like @Voodoo Tom mentioned, we rode our bikes today. It was a blast Tapia at night becomes a different beast.

1F9391C6-F552-400C-81C0-C77A727857E5.jpeg 90F27647-BC14-482A-B4CF-450E8121F252.jpeg

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Took the Sutra out for a spin. Haven't ridden it in a while. Up GMR, down MTT.

Taking a fully rigid bike with 1.8" tires down Monroe was. . . interesting. Slower than usual (can I get a resounding "well, DUH!" :rolleyes:) but I actually had fun. Rock garden took some concentration though. :thumbsup:

22 miles and 3,000 feet. Fun ride. :)

20180505_102328.jpg

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Late start, so got stuck out in the heat a bit. Was pretty knackered by the end of it. Trying to figure out what I like about FS vs. hardtail vs. monstercross. I think my rides are so mellow, HT is probably fine. I do like the bit of squish in the back though. First world problems.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1551760852

41868119472_4ed973c6e1_b.jpg

41912304131_623b87d222_c.jpg

27043229087_663e6df2fd_c.jpg

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My ride today looked like this: :geek: :geek: :geek: Quite the abnormal volume of two-legged scenery today. Not much bike traffic, and no large groups of hikers. Plenty of yoga pants, lycra shorts and jogbras. :thumbsup:

I got a late start - about 9:40 wheels turning. Solo. Sunny, but not real hot. Upper 70s max. Enough breeze to keep things comfortable climbing Cholla, which I did twice. I didn't have a lot of energy today, but I didn't have anything to prove and no time schedule, so I toodled up the hills, then bombed down, as I am apt to do. No noteworthy traffic on the descents - I had to slow down once on Rock-It, but no interruptions of any kind on the other two drops.

Bikes are fun. :thumbsup: :cool:

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Early ride... 6:30 start from the tree farm and out to Sierra Peak with @mtnbikej. Felt like garbage on the way up, maybe a touch of dehydration. We played on the single tracks on the way down, and I tried out the new GoPro on Booby Trap. :thumbsup:

At the exit there were hundreds of hikers gearing up for open access day. Glad we were done. o_O

23/3400

Booby Trap

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Booby Trap looks to be in fairly good shape. I've only been down it once, I need to do that again. It's definitely a hoot. :thumbsup:

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    We hit all of them except the one at the top gate... Booby Trap has some kitty litter, but is still fun. :thumbsup:

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Definitely a better way to descend than Blackstar Rd. :thumbsup:

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Knew it was gonna be warm....so I planned an early start for Blackstar out to Sierra Peak.

6:30 roll time and temps were about 51*....just brisk enough without the sun sleeves. Passed a few hiker in the lower canyon, and 1 rider at the first cattle gate.

By the time we got to Hidden Ranch it had warmed up quite a bit.

Legs took a loooooooong time to warm up today......actually so long they never did. Good ride out to Sierra Peak. Temps were showing about 77* on Sierra Ridge at 8:00.

Lots of riders heading up when we dropped through that gate at Beeks'. Took the next couple of singletracks.

Stopped and checked out the Indian Grounds at Hidden Ranch.

Garmin was showing mid 80's by the time we got down into the lower canyon. Not as many hikers as I would have expected.

Turns out today was Open Access out there.....hoards and hoards of cars and hikers.

Screenshot (74).png

23. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Booby Trap and the singltrack at the top gate are great fun. The rest, not so much.

24. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Skyline and Pine Knot in Big Bear. 62 degrees and perfect. Not the most exciting trails, but the clean air is good for me.20180505_130438.jpg

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    FOMO!

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So now that you've spent some time on that beautiful new Tracer, how do you like it? How does it compare to what you were riding before? What is most surprising about it?

Danmtchl, kioti, muni and 3 others like this.
  27. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    You must be getting old. Tell us about your fork.

Danimal, Danmtchl, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  28. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    What GoPro did you end up getting? That’s pretty steady for a bar mount!

Danmtchl, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    #chameleonclub!!!
    The trail in the video has some heavy-duty ruts in it for sure. Definitely need to pick a good line!

Danmtchl, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  30. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Like @Luis and @Voodoo Tom said I was along for the hammerfest, err social pace ethos ride at tapia, spent most of the uphill portion at the back of the pack but still had a great time, night riding is ridiculous fun

31531298_760594637471027_6395277797769609216_n.jpg

31958754_760594524137705_4540529336729468928_n.jpg

Danmtchl, Mikie, kioti and 18 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?