I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Nothing better than Space Mountain after the rains.IMG_20180323_130919_781.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_780.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_793.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_792.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_788.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_795.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_784.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_803.jpg IMG_20180323_130919_807.jpg IMG_20180323_160237_843.jpg

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    Cherry Canyon is a mini Space Mountain. 13.33 miles of smiles. :D

58F18D6B-63C0-4AC3-B4F2-9BED732831BE.jpeg

C1A80C4F-91C3-407C-9506-8F7232390DE1.jpeg

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    That oak is amaze-balls!
    And that bike is soooo good looking! Love the swoopy lines on it!

4. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I don't see anything good there....

5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I was thinking the same thing.. Sexy beast! :thumbsup:

6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Never meet a Canfield I didn't like the looks of. Except maybe this one:

881441d1396285730t-post-your-canfield-brothers-bikes-new-old-sold-would-love-see-them-dscf5264.jpg

upload_2018-3-23_18-13-46.jpeg

mike, Cornholio, StrandLeper and 8 others like this.
  7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Sweet new bike, Dave!

mike, Cornholio, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  8. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Really, it pre-dates me riding, but the name is apt.... "Big Fat Fatty Fat" :(

mike, Cornholio, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  10. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    There nothing like 12" of travel and a 70 deg head angle!

11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Sycamo after the rain! Did not hit 1 puddle! Lotsa green , get some!

mike, Cyclotourist, Grego and 11 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode today. It was fun. Up Black Star and then Main Divide to the saddle between Hagador and Pleasants, where I met up with a feline:gag:. It went toward Pleasants, I turned around and went back to the car.

23 miles and 3,600 feet, on the Sutra. Man that is a fun bike.:thumbsup::cool:

20180324_124147.jpg

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Thought I saw your car at the Tree Farm when we got back.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode today as well. Like I said in another post, my regulars all had other things going, so I was gonna make a solo Maple Springs / Motorway loop.

Then I remembered seeing that the Non Dot crew was doing a Blackstar / Motorway loop this morning. Great, just what I was looking for....social cruise up Blackstar and Main Divide, then a run down Motorway on the Hightower.

Well that all went out the window when I showed up late. The group took off....so first I had to catch them. Got most of them about 2/3rd's the way into the canyon. Was ready to shift into an easy gear and just cruise....but ran into a coupld of SS friends....and the pace was a little quicker than the "social" part of the ride.

Made it to Beeks' in 1:02.....then had a long break while we waited for the rest of the group. Turns out most of the group blew up and there were fragments all the way down Blackstar. 6 of us would continue on to Motorway......well 5 of us. We lost one on the way to Hagador.

Fortunately the pace wasn't fast on Main Divide....but it hurt. This was the first time in about 6 years that I rode gears on Main Divide. I was able to clean all the climbs, but I did finally have to dip into the 42t cog....I wouldn't allow myself to use the 50t.

With all the gates closed, there was no traffic on Main Divide. MD is getting slippery with marbles again. There has also been a fire on the last few climbs up to Motorway. With all the hoses out there, looks like a prescribed burn....but it was big.

Short break at the top, then we headed down Motorway.

Now last time I rode MW I took 1:02 off my PR on the Chameleon. Today I dragged the heavy bike around to give it a run on the MW. Pushed up the climb, my legs were not happy...good thing it's over quickly. Used the flat section past the helipad as recovery, then turned on the gas at the first turn. I was about 1/3rd the way through the scree when I remembered I had too much air in my rear tire....it was bouncing off everything. One of the Non Dot guys I was riding with who is a quick descender, said I just took off. Trail was clear....no traffic. A couple of spots are getting loose and marblely. Got down tot he moto barrier and didn't lag....over it and down to the bottom.

Looks like I took another 1:20 off my PR today. Moved into 6th overall on the Motorway DH from the Helipad......from the top including the climb, still haven't broken the top 20....but I'm only 1 second off that.

Was weird riding down Silverado Canyon with gears....needed them today as the headwind suuuuuuuuucked.

Good times today for sure.

25.5 / 4200'

Cisco Roots, MattB, mike and 16 others like this.
  15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    50t?? Wait, what.. I thought these bigger cassettes were like 46t. I’m still running 1x11 with a 42t as my granny. Granted I run a 28t up front (still fast enough going down for me and couldn’t imagine needing more DH pedal power) but I may need to go 30t with Eagle mother f-ing 50t!

16. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Lizard / Camarillo / Willow loop

Checked out the new part on Camarillo and i think they have done an excellent job! Big thanks to the volunteers putting in the work, i am suprised it didnt take them longer

Stagecoach South was drier than i thought it would be. I remember the mess from last year’s rain deluge.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Yeah Eagle 12 speed 10-50. Last 3 cogs are 36/42/50t. The bike came with a 30t which I immediately replaced with a 34t.

Shimano 11 spd. tops out at 46t.

SRAM 11 spd. tops out at 42t.

OTHRider, mike, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    This " deluge" was mostly media and forecasts. Actual rainfall around here was minimal, from what I saw.

mike, SingleTrackJB, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  19. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Yes for sure! Just thought it would have been a bit wetter / muddier at that spot near the 73. It hardly gets any sunlight. It is a good trail. Lots of ups and downs instead of the usual long climb / short desecent combi!

mike, littlewave and kioti like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    A slow easy spin up and over Albertson fire road with Jennifer.
    20.2 miles
    2569'
    20180324_104816-2016x1512.jpg 20180324_110613-2016x1512.jpg 20180324_110617-2016x1512.jpg 20180324_121958-2016x1512.jpg 20180324_122638-2016x1512.jpg 20180324_122811-1944x1458.jpg

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    ^ I've never done that climb and I like the looks of it. Seems to get you out and away from everything for a spell before you reach the Cheese?

22. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Hero dirt at Sycamore Canyon. Nice and green after the rains.
    17/1500'

IMG_20180324_095952.jpg

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Albertson basically runs along the south side of Simi. Most people access it from the west end. The climb is a little more difficult from the east.

You pass the entrance to China Flats about 2/3rds across the top from the east.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    Yup. Local. 9:45-12:00. 3 ups, 3 downs in alternating fashion. 2350'. Easy trails. Dirt was great. Weather was sublime - a little windy at the top.

Ran into the longest conga line of hikers I've ever encountered on Rock-It for the entire length of the rock garden. However, my awareness bell worked wonders. They all parted like the proverbial Red Sea and allowed me a nice line down the gut. Nobody seemed put off or angry about it. I just kept saying, "You're good. Thank you. Perfect. Thank you" all the way down. Actually didn't have to slow down that much.

Nothing else to report. Just awesome fun - cuz bikes are fun!

Went for a second ride in Aliso this afternoon with my 7 yo daughter. She had fun - thus I am stoked.

Cisco Roots, Faust29, mike and 12 others like this.
  25. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Rode Bonelli today with a gaggle of friends celebrating @ricke24 's B-day. 14 in the group for starters including Dorris M., the HAB crew, JSD, Vince , Ryan and some new faces. Dirt was a little too tacky in some spots but good mostly throughout the day. Social cruise around the park. Vince and Ryan showed off on the rocks as usual. Good times had by all. Only pic I took, my bike of course...:rolleyes:. It's funny how I don't think my suspension is plush enough until I ride my Ti HT or Cruiser for some time and then get back on the squish. The WFO just felt like it was floating today. :thumbsup: HBD Ricky!
    ouvretrvbijm.jpg

26. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    This was actually yesterday, but we did an early easy Aliso run. A few puddles and hero dirt everywhere. Had to slow for 3 hikers on Meadows and still got a PR. Finally broke the 4:00 minute mark. Traction is nice!

2AEE6FDA-ABA2-44CE-926E-E46E94197ABB.jpeg C8705CA7-5688-44BB-99CE-884492BD972D.jpeg

27. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Did the Luge this morning, had a rough night with my daughter still coughing herself awake so didn’t go to Old Camp. Always a blast though!

F4597194-7B43-4607-BBD4-9BEF2FABA410.jpeg

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Fantastic image, Ed. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Luis, Grego, Fueledbyex8 and 5 others like this.
  30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    x2... lucky dude!

Fueledbyex8, pperrelle, mike and 3 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?