I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I assume that's a "before" photo?

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You forgot to add this photo. The wonders of social media.FB_IMG_1520718790034.jpg

3. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom Zusag
    about 10 minutes before...then I got wet.

4. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I swear your honor, I’ve never seen these people before :whistling::rolleyes::p

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Awwwwwww... I only had one chance to ride with that mystery couple.

Danmtchl, mike, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Danmtchl, mike, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  7. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Good times! Sans the foggy glasses, wet gloves, the long mileage to get there, the crowds and the branches that kept snagging my quick release leavers! :Roflmao:laugh:

Chris, nice riding with you today even though your kit was NOT matching! :inlove: Shame!

Danmtchl, mike, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Really? Non matching kit=3- lashes. Surprised you guys rode with him!

Danmtchl, mike, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Great riding with you two too!

Nice job weaving in several IMTB themes into your response. "Long mileage" from Fullerton. :whistling: Snagging branches on axle levers. :D Matching kit (long standing theme):oops:.

My kit was STUNNING! Black and white circa 2009 TLD Skyline shorts matched my Mucky Nutz fender perfectly. My army green and black TLD jersey added yet another variant to my 50 shades of green bike, and my day-glo green helmet matched some of my bike parts (grips, front wheel decals, fork decals).

You two on the other hand, have socks and jerseys that perfectly match your bikes, each of which are perfectly color coordinated from tip to tail. :cool:

Danmtchl, Luis, mike and 11 others like this.
  10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Rox in a tutu I can :inlove:. But @doublewide, too? Mon Dieu! :eek:

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Glad they could make the drive!

Danmtchl, Faust29, doublewide and 4 others like this.
  12. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Quick spin at Santiago Oaks this morning. Dirt was primo! Too bad the rain chased me off.

4C52D2C8-F129-435E-B07B-71FC6AE055D5.jpeg

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Hey, I did not see this in New Bike Day! :cautious::geek: Looks like fun, Tom :thumbsup:

14. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Well.......if you'd drop about 20 miles and 7000ft from your rides you might be able to ride with us more! :laugh:

15. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    This was yesterday, but we did a pre-rain Luge run. Only a few other bikes up on the hill while we were up there. Started to rain as we were descending. The parking lot was full as we were leaving.

5532BB17-7AB5-44FC-8A90-25807AA09752.jpeg 08E6F8B9-0ECC-4EAB-B865-930D91B2840F.jpeg

Luis, Cisco Roots, scottay and 15 others like this.
  16. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I did the dreaded S word today...
    Shuttled from the Mt. Wilson Observatory. @George, Dave and I were shocked at how great the conditions are following a full day of rain. No mud, not slick, or cold. This was my first time riding down from the observatory, Greg and Dave hadn't done it in half a decade. But no worries George had his wife's Garmin 520... Around mile 2 George stops to poll the group what way to go at a split in the trail. I say, "let's follow the blue line." George replies, "we dropped in at the wrong spot blue line is off yonder (points through the trees)". So we did it the old school way and followed the trail signs to Chantry Flats. Missed some choice lines for sure by following the hiking trails, but great day on the bike none the less.

15496.jpeg

20180311_112719.jpg

20180311_114626.jpg

Luis, Cisco Roots, scottay and 17 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well after being shunned this morning for saying I was going on a road ride I decided to try my luck with the MTB instead. I know Rocky Peak holds up well in the rain so I figured I would head over there. Worst case it would be a road ride on my mountain bike. I was in luck. The rain had drained really well and there were only a couple of muddy spots that I was able to go around. At the top where it's flat and tends to gather rain there were a couple of big puddles but again they were easy to go around. I went all the way to Seashells and back. Once back to the pavement I hit Stagecoach and dropped into Corriganville for a lap. Nothing but hero dirt! Oh yeah. Ran into a couple of riding buds on my way back on Rocky Peak. Great day!IMG_20180311_141206_406.jpg IMG_20180311_141206_417.jpg 20180311_105006-1008x756.jpg FB_IMG_1520792122531.jpg 20180311_113538-1008x756.jpg IMG_20180311_135120_591.jpg

Stkx66, Luis, da big hills and 20 others like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I got lost in the clouds of Verdugo Mountain this afternoon. Never saw the sun. Got drizzled on most of the way but it was still fun. Less people out but still quite a few braving the elements. I only saw one other rider and we took turns passing each other on the way up La Tuna. No more friendly fire roads on the mountain, especially Whiting Woods. They've been roughed up a little from the rain. 12ish miles and plenty of UP.

IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    GMR up, MTT down. Fun!! Never cold, only got a bit of drizzle at the top mile or so. MTT is muddy in spots...slimy mud in a couple :eek:,
    20180311_151457.jpg

two or three slides,
    20180311_152852.jpg

great views,
    20180311_151130.jpg

50 feet of creek-trail,
    20180311_153725.jpg

otherwise great shape. 17.8 miles and 2,650 feet. Glad I finally got out.

20. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That mud on your tires looks pretty yuck!!

21. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good call on Claro's for grub

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It's actually not bad at all.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'll note that it wasn't much fun to come around the curve and hit that....slid most of the way with minimal control (but upright), caked up my shoes and cleats the rest of the way. :eek:

24. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    If I had had to go very far in it, I would have not enjoyed it at all. But it was only maybe 100 feet or so.

25. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    It’s been about three weeks since I’ve gotten a decent ride in. Still, a quick ride to the Huntington with my wife...not a bad Sunday.
    I normally frown on photographing art in galleries, lucky for me this sweet piece depicting Hunting dogs tearing a javallia to shreds was on the veranda.

16256D5B-302D-431E-BC2F-39F1E4E661A8.jpeg

Danmtchl, Luis, doublewide and 10 others like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yeah, it had drop bars and slick tires, but it wasn't a road ride! I basically pre-rode the 36 RSR route. SO FUN! And added on some dirt that is great but just won't work for 250 people to go over.
    The whole ride, I was just gobsmacked by how perfectly beautiful it was and the amazing weather. It started from the mid 60's when I left around 1:30, dropping to somewhere in the 50's as I went into a cloud up in Yucaipa. Got cold and wet, but dried off as soon as I lost some elevation. By the time I got out onto the Calimesa plateau, totally sunny and warm.
    Felt great the whole time, except my left knee started really hurting. Back of me knee, that means seat too low?
    Battery in the phone died, so I probably got closer to 40 miles: https://www.strava.com/activities/1448708739

Took crazy number of pics, you can see the slide show here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157664595083017

Here are a few of my favorites:

Danmtchl, Luis, doublewide and 11 others like this.
  27. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Rain = MS to MW with a few Laguna pals. Cloudy at the 8:20 roll. Drizzles to Four Corners from the spring. Rain from Four Corners to Motorway. Fog on the way down Motorway. Absolute hero dirt on that descent. Pinned it. Cooked a turn, hit a water bar slightly wrong and went for a ride in the air. Little shoulder roll to land nearly on my feet. It’s all good (except for how my phone was ejected from my jacket pocket) - and I figured it out a few hours later while skateboarding in Balboa while messing with the “find your phone” App. Was dreading riding up MW in the dark nearly to the top at the end of a long Sunday. Nice lady calls wife’s phone. “Hey,
    I have your husband’s phone.” Drive to Lake Forest and get my phone. Try to give her $, she refuses. People can be good.

Why was I dreading riding 2/3 of the way up
    Motorway in the dark? Earlier that day, just after the PITA climb to get to MW, I was rolling along slowly, waiting for my buddies when a bobcat ran across the road RIGHT in front of me. It stopped to look at me, I started to reach for my phone when I realized that it was too lithe to be a bobcat and it had a tail. “Holy Shizzle! A mountain lion cub... with its mom watching FOR SURE.” I sprinted like I have never sprinted before - and did not stop until the moonscape at Motorway where There was no cover from which to attack and eat me.

All in all, a pretty eventful
    Day

10167F51-57A8-477C-A1CA-2E08F6820A07.jpeg

9B23F4F3-DDB6-4341-BBF0-0AC9DF03E679.jpeg

2ABC7DFC-A9F8-40E7-8122-1647F2D61D94.jpeg

Danmtchl, MattB, Luis and 16 others like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Glad you lived to tell the tale!!! Welcome back!

29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Haha! One of my local mountain lion sightings was a full-sized critter disappearing into the bushes on the Motorway itself! They're everywhere you want to be (except maybe the coast), and I bet you impressed one with that superman dismount! :)

PS: Nice to have you back @StrandLeper.

Danmtchl, herzalot, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

MS / MW...::as mundane as it may seem, never fails to surprise you in one way or another.