I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Rode up Black Star to the golf ball, and over toward Sierra Peak with Cougar, but it started getting rather toasty (mid-80's at 8:45 am) so we headed back down. Investigated the singletrack down from the gate - Cougar flew down, but it's not my thing. I almost ate it walking down part of it.:whistling:

According to my Strava upload, it was 20.7 miles and 2,808 feet of gain, in about 2:42 total time. Fun ride..

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Haven't ridden B* in ages... Has the vandalism/break ins at the gate abated? Or did you park at the xmas tree lot?

What are people recommending these days?

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Oa

Park at the Tree Farm

Mikie and Andy like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    We parked at the tree farm. No issues.

Mikie, Andy and Cougar like this.
  5. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yup, good times! 91 degrees shortly after we turned around without making it to Sierra Peak, it was probably a good call.

After going down that first singletrack section of Blackstar decent, and seeing as how chunky it was, I believe there was a comment to the tune of, "shoulda known it was going to have some tech to it since Rox likes it!" hehe. There has to be a benefit of lugging that full suspension bike up those nasty climbs!

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Try going down them at night....towing a BoB Trailer. :ninja: :giggle::eek:

Mikie, Faust29, Danimal and 1 other person like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Been hard to get motivated since it's been 100+ for a week:mad:. Rode out from the garage and decided to take a several mile detour to see if I could find the wifey & kid who were out doing a color run this morning. I found them(before they got really painted up), cheered em on and went on my my...:thumbsup:
    IMG_2842.jpg

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Changed it up today and did a Road Ride...:eek:. First time the road bikes been out in about a year, figured I could work on my
    cadence, spin technique and just have some fun. Good times!
    Much as I enjoyed it, road riding pales in comparison to Mountain Biking for fun and games. :thumbsup::)

37 miles, 2100 ft elev, from inland to the beach and back. Climbed Newport coast, rounded back bay, through sand canyon with a few other hills tossed in for good measure.

Did have a peloton of about 50 riders pass me and my friend ( they were fast), then they ALL proceeded to turn right against a red light at full speed. No way that anyone could have looked and stopped in time. This, my friends, is typical roady Douche-bag behavior and why I no longer ride with groups on the road. I cringed waiting for a car to come through....
    By Hey, that's just my opinion, and it worth what you paid for it! :whistling:

Cisco Roots, herzalot, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I enjoy me a good road ride, but I will NEVER ride in a group, except I will ride with no more than 3-4 who are very well known to me. Too many idiots.

Mikie, Andy, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    That right there is not something that would even occur to me to try. You, sir, are certifiable. :thumbsup::cool::)

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Exactly! with the exception of the few centuries my son and I have done, I haven't ridden in a group since Reagan was in office! I rode everywhere with a couple guys and trusted them completely.

12. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Rode in the Santa Monica Mountains Representing CORBA. :) . Thank you!

uploadfromtaptalk1440940153385.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440940158601.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440940162058.jpg

Luis, Oaken, Cisco Roots and 9 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Rode with the B.O.M.B. group Saturday. Last minute ride for me so I had to play catch up as I showed up late. Knowing I probably wouldn't catch them I decided to head them off instead. That would require climbing Hell Hill. It's a fire road with a 15-16% grade for .7 miles. Ended up getting to the top of their first climb moments before them. From there we descended Backbone then took Sycamore down to the beach. After a snack and topping off our water bottles we climbed Overlook and descended Backbone again then finally climbed Sycamore back to the cars. It was close to 100° when I finished. Good ride none the less. Ended up with 27 miles and 3182'
    e85d52fb221e9785640f50ac9d202083.jpg5f2c9fafb45e221f79567c18b654fa3b.jpg

MCB2K, Luis, Daddy Dirtbag and 14 others like this.
  14. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    ^^Daaaauuuuuummmmm!!!!

MCB2K, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I took our road bikes out for a quick spin around East Simi this morning. Took a while for her arm to warm up and she did great once it did. There's not much room to get comfortable on a road bike.
    815f0aeb7483c04bf3843125da5a49b6.jpgfdd1523ef091cb9420df2702d23f4fc4.jpg
    I had a road KOM on this segment for a short time and have since been relegated to 3rd. Not bad for a Clyde of an MTBer. And no it's not down hill.
    f32028f23b0f0157f9bed7caafb2d280.jpgffab2f4c30dec6413ba2f356b9cfb992.jpg
    Ended up with 18.5 miles and 940'.
    01ca80f6c94609594617fda281ca5b6c.jpg
    My kind of elevation gain.

Faust29, Cisco Roots, Danimal and 7 others like this.
  16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Tried to get in another "beat the heat" ride this morning but things didn't go exactly as planned. Didn't start early enough so there was heat, snakes, crashing and a 24x11 single speed conversion thanks to a broken derailleur cable.
    IMG_2846.jpg
    After a several minute long stare-down Mr snake decided to mosey...

IMG_2847.jpg
    Now I know why this section of trail is named "SKIDMARKS". Discovered that the 5 miles back to the house was a long ways with a beat up leg, arm and ribs on a single speed. Guess I should probably be a little more careful when riding solo even if I have ridden these trails a thousand times...

Faust29, Cisco Roots, Luis and 9 others like this.
  17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    :thumbsup:^^^ Yes, sometime in a part we rode several times something goes wrong and Bammm !!! but... hey the Mtb goods are pleased from your blood sacrifice... if they are happy we are happy !!!

18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    I seem to be giving these blood sacrifices far too often though...confused-smiley-013.gif

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Crashes come in 3's....just like flats.

20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Uh oh...

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I rode my bike this afternoon. Just a standard FLoop, no extra credit. 11 miles, an amazing 942 ft elevation gain, in 59:51 riding and total time. Average temp was 97. Just a bit on the warm side.

What I find really interesting is that I was out for a casual ride today, knowing it was hotter than I should be out in, and yet the ride time for the basic FLoop was in my top 5 or 6. I've noticed before that if I'm out to try to beat a previous time, I usually don't do so well. Hmmm...this might be a thread of its own that would need a Varaxis data-slicing & -dicing.:geek:

Faust29, ridinrox, Cougar and 6 others like this.
  22. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy

I've found the same thing... The few times I've tried to do that, I come close but usually don't beat it.
    I found all my best times are when I'm just enjoying the ride and not noticing.
    :whistling:

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    @ Voodoo Tom - To clear a rattler off the trail, stop a safe distance away (15 ft.) and start stomping your feet and bouncing your bike. Mr. Snake will sense the vibrations and scoot off into the bush without incident within 2 minutes. I've cleared over 15 rattlers this way and it's never not worked.

That's if you see them first of course. If you are riding fast, just bunny hop them and be the lead guy - the second and third guys can deal with the snake's wrath!

24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    I'll try this next time as long as I'm sure theres nobody else around to laugh or take pictures.

ridinrox and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Rode my usual trails today, whiting and STT. Only one rider to pass on the down in Whiting, otherwise clear. A rare day indeed!
    Didn't have time to toss in the usual luge Santiago canyon ride, but it's all good. BBQ on Lido isle after the ride...:cool:

13.2 at 2100 ft. The fun meter was pegged!

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    It works, I've been there with Hrz and done it too. Take a couple minutes, but the little bugger just slithers off.
    Did think of taking a selfie with the rattler around my neck, but figured I'd leave that to a Darwin award winner...:laugh:

27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Rode with a couple friends and the boy today at Sycamore cyn, Riverside. Did 22/2100 was warm obviously. Also put in 25 yesterday with the boy on the road bikes. He is now fully hooked on cycling can't seem to get enough of it. All I have to do is ask and I've got a partner. Super fun to spend the time with him. Now bring on some cooler weather so we can increase the miles.

jaime, Faust29, ridinrox and 3 others like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    That is awesome...I got my daughter to do Blackstar with me a couple of times. Hope I can convince her to get off the horse and do it again before she's off to college.

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I have 1 year to enjoy every minute, college is just around the corner.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Remember, though, if you get the incantations and hand gestures wrong, it won't work.:devilish:

Andy, Voodoo Tom and LLPoolJ like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?