I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    So much better when you can't see all those pesky rocks. :thumbsup:

2. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Wow snow everywhere!

Danmtchl, mike, Cisco Roots and 7 others like this.
  3. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    feb. 28 2018 050.jpg

Harding from Modjeska

Danmtchl, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 14 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    ^^^What's all that white lumpy stuff?^^^o_O

5. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    A typical loop through WR today. I felt a little off but made the most of it. The rain Tuesday was enough to move some terrain around on most of the trails. Climbing Mustard is slow because of the sticky peanut buttery dirt. The rest is fun

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Social Cruise up Black Star last night with a full Santa Cruz complement. :eek: @mtnbikej and @guywhodoesntdoforums

Coming down? Two pair of gloves, 3 layers, headlights for the last half.

84D30E25-E739-42E1-B992-7885BCFA61EF.jpeg

7. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    @guywhodosen'tdoforums is now riding a Santa Cruz ? :cautious:

Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer, mike and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Really fun outing today between squalls with @riiz (he still rides bikes!). The typical road climb up to the south hills, then banging around in the dirt. But it was some great dirt today! Around 55F when we started, but dumped the windbreaker and was just right/slightly warm with wool base layer and tights. Once rolling on the trails it was fine though. I think we were both pretty mellow and haven't been riding much the last few weeks. So took it easy, and just spun through everything and enjoyed being out. Beautiful views out there and we no crowds! Started to rain literally as we were standing around in my driveway at the end. Hope to get out for some more tomorrow!

#chameleonclub

https://www.strava.com/activities/1434899566

Making it to the top of our toughest climb:
    40559805322_925f71b95f_b.jpg

I had to twist his arm to ride this:
    25731667807_b460d3196e_b.jpg

riiz, Danmtchl, doublewide and 12 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Just a quick spin down the arroyo with Jennifer. IMG_20180303_172956_424.jpg

Danmtchl, Faust29, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  12. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    I did my usual quick lap yesterday afternoon to test out my new gimbal as a reward I gave myself for being cig free for a month. Had a pretty clean full pull down TnA. Here's my initial test footage from the gimbal. GoPro ended up being angled to down for my liking but on a ride today that was rectified. Anyway, enjoy the vid and let me know what you guys think of the gimbal footage and angle.

Shred on,
    Taylor

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    There was a lot to like about that video. Of course the clarity and stability of the gimbal, but also I can sense confidence and speed I haven't seen from you. No wheezing. No "whoooaaa, uuumph" vocalizations of worry, no pausing and re-starting on the nemesis v-rock or bottom roller/drop. Clear, calm, quicker and far more confident.

I was also entertained by the fact that your riding buddy didn't even hesitate on the big roller at the crux area with three lines. Every time I've looked at that line, it looks like a certain endo. As is typical of a skilled rider on video - he made it look easy. The ride-around on the right is not easy either. Chunky with a hole and a 90° turn.

I for one can do without the music though. I like your videos with just your commentary, a few quips from your riding partners and the sound of the bike.

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nice run bud. Calm and confident!

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  15. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Thanks Gary and Herz. Feels good to be riding calm and collected once again. More to come. I did another run today and had the gopro aimed more horizontal so the bars were less prevalent in the clips.

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Yesterday I had, without question, the weakest ride in recent memory. Pathetic, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Roflmao:cry::cool:

Feel like I'm starting with a clean slate...with any luck, musclehead memory is real. Maybe try again today...

17. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    The sun made an appearance yesterday!! Got out for a nice ride at Grand Ridge in Issaquah. Dirt was primo and the weather was perfect.

Image.png

3FD3D0E6-DB65-4F28-ABD2-77A9034A2025.jpeg

6A9FC831-2B50-460D-BB2E-6A51532E34A4.jpeg

FAA181CD-F41D-43A6-B1A2-A9FB4E4FB9A6.jpeg

18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Dang, dude!

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Fun day today. @littlewave was the only taker from my usual crew, so we agreed to meet at Canyon Vistas at 8:30 and improvise from there. Taylor @tbarnesarc chimed in while I was driving away and asked to let him know what we were up to. He can always rally for a run down his fave - T and A.

Right off the bat, we were indecisive, other than we would start on 5-Oaks. Stay in Aliso, or head across the canyon to LCWP? Being unsure of the mud situation, we opted to stay on the Aliso side. But then Brett says "Or we could go across. I haven't been there for a few weeks." "Or we could just stay on this side..." I pinged Taylor and told him we were staying on the Aliso side. So up to, then down 5-Oaks we went. Glorious conditions! Such fun.

What now? Let's climb Cholla and decide at the top. OK. So we did. And, at the top of Cholla we decide to hit Stair Steps and head to LCWP. I called Taylor. He said he could meet us at the Willow lot in 20-30 minutes. Brett said cool. I said cool. So Brett and I hung out at top and chatted a while, then took off down Stairs. Solid run for both of us. I chose a different line entering the waterfall - on the left this time instead of the easier line on the far right. It worked. Next time I need to sack up and hit the middle (4' near vertical roll down). At the bottom of the waterfall section, I turned around and here comes Brett, carrying great speed. Nice run!

So then we just hung out at the Willow lot for a while. There was no parking, so Taylor had to park a mile away and ride in. Brett and I traded bikes for a short experimental spin. I like DW link.

Taylor showed up - and up Willow we went. I should say, "new and improved" Taylor, because he really is a different rider after a month of no cigs and less beer. He was chatting the whole time we climbed Willow, without wheezing or stopping.

We had another long delay at the top of the park when we ran into the couple that used to post as LuvMammoth, Doug and his SO. We chatted there for a long while, and Taylor mounted up his gimbal. We eventually took off down Missing Link and Fenceline, and Taylor was right there. We head for Lizard and had a great run. Almost no mud, but hero dirt for sure. Climbed Laurel Spur (which was velcro-y) and made the trek over to T and A. Nice run down that, although I botched the crux and had to go up and do it over. The lower section was a hoot. Good lines and good speed. Taylor is now running the entire bottom clean. He was pumped!

We bid adieu to Taylor in the Canyon and made our way up Philips road and up Stair Steps back into Aliso. Philips hurts. We were short on time so we opted to just hit Lynx as our finale. That was fast and fun too!

Beautiful weather. Great riding buddies and wonderfully entertaining trails in primo condition. Bikes are fun! :cool::thumbsup::)

16 miles, 2800' (my Runtastic said 3000, but that's not likely).

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Dang Herz, that was intimate.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Interesting adjective for what I would describe as a mundane report, but thanks. :thumbsup: Are we going steady now? :p

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Squishy bikes with blinky lights are rad:thumbsup:...

24. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I had to ditch @herzalot today... and what do I see but @SnakeCharmer is eyeing my territory!? /gasp hehe

After doing some bigger XC elevation last weekend, today I just had to put down the mileage to prep for the True Grit Epic next weekend. On the plus side, it was a rain tolerant plan, so I knew I wouldn't back out.

52 miles later and I'm a wee bit tired. On the plus side, I kept my HR in zone 3 almost the entire ride, which is amazing for me. I'm usually pegged in zone 4.

upload_2018-3-4_14-49-5.png

Nothing special, and probably should be in "I road my bike" today thread - but meh, I'm not a roady :p Even if I took my MTB on a road cruise today.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nice ride, and you get double miles 'cuz you rode it on wide knobbies, including a 2.40 Magic Mary!

Speaking of which, is there anything left of your tires after your ride?

Oh and how many total vertical feet? Looks like a bunch.

26. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Ha, ya. The tires are okay. Just under 3k (I stopped short of going all the way to Jamboree cause I was a bit under dressed for the wind - that would have added another ~500-700?)

27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Welcome to the City of Glendale, where moto-cops will not hesitate to cite you for rolling on the streets with out one. :rolleyes:

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Holy shite, you guys are killing it! Nice going, @Cougar et al!

I got three miles in. :unsure: But I did get some bouldering in at my turnaround point (circled). I haven't fought gravity that hard in months. :eek::oops:

Started at the lake, around the golf course and into the woods...t-shirt weather starting out, turned cloudy with chance of flurries this eve.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at   4.20 PM.png

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Cruise around Sycamore Canyon with Jennifer. There were a couple of puddles on the main fire road but the trails were tacky and in great shape. I pushed a little harder today and it kicked my butt. Could it be the plus tires or am I officially back to Weekend Warrior status?IMG_20180304_152306_688.jpg IMG_20180304_152306_687.jpg IMG_20180304_152306_681.jpg IMG_20180304_152306_683.jpg IMG_20180304_152306_682.jpg IMG_20180304_152028_554.jpg IMG_20180304_152355_798.jpg

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ LOL, awesome picture!

Danmtchl, mike, UPSed and 1 other person like this.