I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Nope, didn't ride yesterday (nor today) but I did ride on Saturday.
    Cruising the Weir Loop when I heard a BOOM and my rear tire goes flat. I pulled over to find this:
    I blew the tire right off the rim!

IMG_0893.JPG

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    My buddy Tony texted me last night telling me he was doing a ride with Gina (She's the owner of All Pro Bicycle Shop here in Simi Valley) and that they would be doing a slow-paced MTB ride as a couple of their roadie friends are just getting into mountain biking. My thinking was cool. This would be a nice recovery ride. I started from home and ended up meeting them about five miles into the ride. The two newbies being strong roadies had no problems with the climbs but descending was another story. I guess we all started somewhere. Gina was great at giving them tips and whatnot to help their confidence in the dirt. For some reason it didn't seem like we went that far as it seemed like we were chit-chatting the whole ride. Remember this was supposed to be a recovery ride. Well if 33.4 miles and 4796' is a recovery ride then @Faust29 and @mtnbikej have officially ruined me. I did it on three scoops of Tailwind and feel great. Now where am I going to ride tomorrow?IMG_20180212_125516_150.jpg

3. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    The couch! By tomorrow that Death March soreness is gonna kick in!!! LOL

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Yes, my job here is done. Another has been converted. Now if I could just get you off that bike with all shifty and squishy bits. :sneaky:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Guess you are gonna have to post up in the "not 5 star product" thread now. :thumbsup:

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    OMG! That's not funny but aren't you supposed to mount the tire to the rim before you take off? :gag:

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    bitmoji-20180212011939.png

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Just how high was that jump??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    He laughs now. Next week he'll be out looking at titanium single speeds with his new "single speed or die" tattoo.

I think the next milestone is the 10,000 foot mark. That's the real cherry popper!

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Actually on a couple of the fire road climbs today I was locked out and standing up in one gear. I thought about how I could run my Niner as a single speed. Thankfully that thought passed by the time I got to the chunky technical climbs.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    I’m a little afraid to ask but where is yours located?

LLPoolJ, pperrelle, kioti and 7 others like this.
  12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    His is in the "Tramp Stamp" location. I saw it!

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's how it starts...

I don't have any tats... But that is a reference to the first time I tried to ride a geared bike with a gaggle of single speeders. As I was sucking wind and falling off the back, I noticed one had a cog tattoo on his calf. Later in the ride, as I was puking my guts out below Santiago Peak, I figured I should probably give it a try.

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    What do you think happened? Looks like fresh sealant (and a lot of it!) so a newly mounted tire?

15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Also afraid to ask where the cog is worked in on that one. :eek:

16. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    A few weeks ago, @pperrelle was kind enough to forward me his Bell View-Caspers route for a new CX bike exploration. Then the "everything but bicycling" bug hit. I saw some old riders from STR were doing the Tierras Loop so I joined along with @ricke24. It is always so fun to explore new dirt. Plenty of water crossings, a couple decent climbs and then they took me down Waterworks. That is the most fun I've had on the CX bike ever. All of us were smiling like little punks who just got away with something. I even got some pretty decent air time (not planned, but fun). Thank for the ride guys!

3.jpg

2.jpg

17. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    I've got a few Filipino buddies that kick ass on a bike and rarely do big group rides. Prejudging and stereotyping sucks..... :poop:

mike, Cyclotourist, pperrelle and 6 others like this.
  18. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Riding in huge groups with speakers blaring in local parks sucks too.. If I told you someone ran into a 7-11 by hitting the gas rather than brake who comes to mind? Sure a 25 year old may be the culprit but that’s not the case in the majority of those scenarios. Stereotypes are a reality in many cases and I’m not too PC to agree with that.

19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
  20. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    A couple-3 years ago we had most of the time replaced the Luge downhill with Lower Joplin. It was a much longer downhill, some fast flowy bits and then some slow steep stuff ending with the twisty blaze through the canyon under the oak trees. At some point OCTA purchased the egress land as a swap for building new roads, and put up lots of no trespassing signs and barbed wire fence, and often had a security guard hanging around (Someone told me a friend got a ticket or fine even). Last time I tried to bushwhack around the OCTA fence but ended up on the inside of Joplin Youth camp (probably not a good thing), so I jumped their fence to get out and have never gone back. The trail was pretty overgrown at that point, so I'd guess worse now. That whole situation sucks, that somehow the land to exit that trail wasn't put aside for the public to use.

tortoise, Cisco Roots, mike and 10 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I usually refer to them as Boombox. I will usually tell their riding partner that Boombox has his music too loud and can’t hwar what’s going on behind him. Then I will tell Boombox....”hey Boombox....turn the music off...you coUldnt hear me behind you ringing my bell”. Boombox usually responds...”huh?”

Boombox is usually a tool.

tortoise, mike, doublewide and 10 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Not prejudging. Not stereotyping. Reflecting on one specific group of riders who frequent Aliso in large numbers on a regular basis. I did not judge in advance, and I did not generalize to others.

However, I agree that throwing around an ethnic similarity as a descriptor is not OK, so I changed my post. My apologies for my insensitivity.
    Here's the revised version.
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/i-rode-my-bike-today.2149/page-358#post-119293

23. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Last time i rode San Juan there were a group of “downhillers”(term used with hesitation). The leader had a boom box. It annoyed me, but at least it was heavy metal. the followers were really green. Most were to fat to stand up and sat in the saddle coasting down over rocks. They were not Philippino

mike, Cyclotourist, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  24. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Dang. And the idea of riding to the BOTTOM of a dead end trail freaks me out. Like enough to never try it.

MolarM, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    It bites to look at that trail from my window and not be able to ride it. :thumbsdown: That would be an awesome loop for me. Out to STT and down Lower Joplin to home... Anyone want to go exploring, and possibly ride back up it?

Heat map data...
    lower joplin.jpg

26. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Yeah, I am pretty sure I know the group you are referring to. They are 90% Asian and take group riding to the next level, numbers wise. I have been stuck behind them at the top of the Luge before. I actually follow their Facebook page just so I know where they are going to be riding so I can avoid them. It is nonsensical to ride in groups that large, IMO.

27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Pffft...I did that without even getting on the bike!:oops:

mike, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  28. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I only had a short time on my lunch break today. So i rushed up bake pkwy In my truck and jumped on my bike near chick Fila. I went up Water Tank rd. It had been since September since i rode water tank. I went fairly leisurely probably keeping my HR in the mid 80%’s up to Marks bench. I crushed my PR’s for those 2 sections of climbing. I love it! Real substancial improvements in climbing speed. Nothing near you fellas, but i am seeing minutes off of 15min climb sections. Hoping this will translate to longer rides:)

I opted for the sketchy DOWN dreaded. It was a rush once more and did not disappoint. That trail could really F@ck you up if you don’t respect it. Unfortunately near the bottom on the steepest grade I came across two separate hikers and decided to brake to a near stop to be sure for a safe pass.

Which glazed my pads and burnt my rotors, which soon singed my left calf when i stepped off my bike to raise my saddle(no dropper)

Oh, and i saw a group of 4-6 walking up cactus. Cool, No biggie. But later i got a report that they were tucked inside the first couple corners taking turns filming themselves do repeats in the berms. With no spotter up the trail to warn those descending and no way around their selfish endeavor it pissed off many and was dangerous. Glad i went down dreaded or i might have reverted to “mad mountain biker”

kioti, tortoise, mike and 6 others like this.
  29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune

@Obsidian is this the group youre referring to? came across this vid by the large group who rolled up right after i got to the top of 5 oaks (at 1:07 thats me standing in the background waiting for Chris to show up) yesterday.
    So tired of large groups blatantly poaching en masse and blasting footage of it everywhere.

kioti, mike, littlewave and 5 others like this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Stereotypes spring from reality. Your buds are the outliers. This is where "it is what it is" jumps in and we all sit back and relax. :thumbsup:

As I've told a few people over the years: If you try hard enough, you can be offended by anything.

I can kinda be authoritative on the Pinoy/Pinay thingie...I've been to the PI 7 times. :cool:

kioti, hill^billy, mike and 4 others like this.