I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Ahhhh, man.....that's why it was shifting like crap. :oops:

bvader, MolarM, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    First ride in a week! It felt more like 6 months... Still waiting for the head and chest to clear, so I took the e-bike tonight. Not sure it helped any... I went from feeling like I was going to barf to feeling like I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. Fun times! :p

A little rain really changes the road up and the trail down... rocks everywhere, new ruts, no powder, and lots of colors. :thumbsup:

I hope the gate stays closed for some time...
    IMG_1876.jpg

Main Divide headed to Motorway...
    IMG_1879.jpg

We stopped for a minute on Motorway and the clouds rolled in...
    IMG_1885.jpg

Red!
    IMG_1889.jpg

We usually only get brown on Motorway. This was a nice change.
    IMG_1891.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Grego, Danimal and 19 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Love this pano!

mike, MolarM, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Fueledbyex8, Grego, Danimal and 11 others like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I had today off, so I needed to get a good ride in. @Faust29 expressed an interest in joining, and I always say the more the merrier...if I go alone I'll probably talk myself out of it halfway up. :eek:

Originally I was going to park at the Maple Springs gate and ride down to meet Steve at the tree farm for the Black Star - Motorway loop, but when I pulled into the parking spot - at 8:30 in the am! - it was only 48 degrees. I immediately changed plans and drove down to the tree farm. :thumbsup: We geared up, and up Black Star we went.

Up on Main Divide I figured I'd take a picture of the bike with Corona and the surrounding valley in the background. Yeah, that didn't work. Thankfully it did not presage bad things on the ride itself.

Bike pic: FAIL!
    20180112_104710.jpg

It was perfect temps today, great ride, great company. 25 miles and 4,400 feet. I have much work to do to be ready for CC in April. :eek:

upload_2018-1-12_14-6-30.png

And for those interested, the Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1353818292

7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:Nice Picture :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Faust29, mike, kioti and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Yep... It was a good ride. I haven't done that route in awhile, so it was a nice test to see what shape I'm in before VQ. I have some work to do. :sick: Thanks, Mr. @Runs with Scissors for throwing it out there. :thumbsup:

Black Star held up nicely to the rain. There are a few spots that might sustain damage like last year, but they are holding now. Main Divide had some rain ruts here and there, but nothing too bad. Motorway was the same as the other night... The rain moved some of the scree around, but I wonder if the motos also had something to do with that. There were tracks easily visible in spots on the lower switchbacks. :thumbsdown:

Breather at the former Skinsuit trailhead... which is no more.
    IMG_1896.jpg

Yeah... Only 17 miles of climbing and we're here!
    IMG_1908.jpg

Mr. Scissors at the end of the Motorway scree section...
    IMG_1911.jpg

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Looks like a great ride ^^^^ !!!

I had a much shorter one today. A quick hour of riding after getting home. Drove out to Oakmont and did my favorite loop:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1354014940
    Perfect dirt after the last storm, and temps were similarly great! Will try to fit a good one in tomorrow!

SnakeCharmer, scan, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  10. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    Early El Moro ride with a buddy. A few new ruts here and there, but the trails were in good post-rain condition. We rolled early, but it was getting crowded when we were finishing up. 15 miles, 2,364 feet.
    97CC4F31-EA72-49D2-837C-A663CA4B8AEC.jpeg 2973B8E2-5D99-4EA1-B37B-4F804549882E.jpeg

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Spin from home. Cold is still lingering and my elbow is still stiff but I felt much better today. Clear views of the ocean. Hoping to get in one more ride tomorrow before it's back to work. IMG_20180113_125014_540.jpg IMG_20180113_125014_538.jpg IMG_20180113_125014_543.jpg IMG_20180113_124546_056.jpg

12. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Supposedly it’s winter in Colorado. It looks like it in some places…

evergr1-18_1.jpg

But the trails were almost totally clear of snow and ice up to 9300', so an opportune day to ride. We topped out Evergreen Mountain and finished on the scrumptiously technical Three Sisters trail.

The Weaz dabs on the easy parts…
    Three Sisters goodness

Looks like someone was hungry…

evergr1-18_2.jpg

Everything technical was easy, which I was hoping it would seem. The only way to go into tomorrow’s agenda. :sneaky::inlove::cool::thumbsup:

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Whiting-Luge-Whiting today with three good friends - Scott, Kevin and @Cougar. Shakedown ride on my refurbished Marzocchi. I gotta say, it felt more like a Fox 36 than it did before it went to Fox. It wasn't as plush in the high speed chunder as I remember it. My hands and arms were more fatigued on The Luge than with the Marz. But, there's lots of adjusting left to do. I will take out a spacer to make it less progressive (I did not use all of the travel, but I was using the first half of the travel pretty eagerly).

Kevin had another good run at about 3:25 from flag to creek bottom. I didn't try chasing him this time. Scott followed him for a little while, then got smoked.

Kevin put the hammer down on the return trip through Whiting and Scott eagerly followed. Craig and I get slowed by some untimely traffic, but I could see tracks where someone in front of me was demonstrating two-wheel drifts (looking at you Kevin and Scott).

Beautiful weather, if not a little warm. Trail texture was nice, still a little velcro-y on Mustard. Whiting was ridiculously crowded with hikers on the morning climb, and with a fair bit of bike traffic on the return romp.

Fun run with great guys. 2300' 16 miles. Wahoos after. :thumbsup: :cool:

I just realized this was my first ride of 2018!

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    This weekend is my buddy Jeremy's birthday, so we headed up to the Santa Monica's for his birthday ride.

Started up at Rustic Canyon, dropped down Squirrel Cage. Probably in the worst shape I have ever seen it...still fun. Up Sullivan Canyon....the upper part of the road was pretty beat up, rutted and loose. Across Farmers...pretty good shape, but the up slope brush is pushing everyone outside. Climb to the hub was uneventful. Quick break at the beginning of Backbone.

IMG_3359.jpg IMG_3361.jpg IMG_3360.jpg

Up and down Backbone....trail is a bit overgrown, but in good shape.

After seeing the condition of Squirrel Cage, we figured J-Drop was gonna be pretty bad. The last couple times it had been pretty good. We dropped in....it was really rutted...really rocky....really loose. There were a few dabs here and there. Took a me a little bit to get the flow. Only had to walk one drop. Was having a grand time as we got closer to the bottom.

Fun time with the gang. Temps were pretty warm at times.

Good ride.

19.5 / 3200'

mike, MolarM, Old&InTheWay and 16 others like this.
  15. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Ride SJT up to Chaquito intersection so we got both ways of the newly brushed. It was a busy SJT day alot of up / down traffic early (only one tool encounter) Had good climbing technique, cleaned alot. The out n back was good but work nice day in CNF.

17 mi 3200ft
    SteveonSJT.jpg

mike, tbarnesarc, doublewide and 15 others like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Rode up the first 1/3 of the Strada Sterrata with @riiz A mile or so from downtown out to the Santa Ana River trails (small T). All sandy, but we knew they would be well packed down from the last storm. After all the sand, we jumped on the Lower Workout trail, which is an amazing bit of dirt to ride on. That was a great trial that I really don't get too often. That led to the wash trails. They sand was really packed, and still moist. We then could a connector and headed to the Forestry station where the Coke machine was fully operational! Topped off, and hit the wash trails all the way back into town. A solid 25 miles out there today. And a ton of fun!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1355735436

39675586791_993bacec54_b.jpg

38777919705_2a2e4bc4d8_b.jpg

17. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sycamore in Riverside. Recovery ride since wrenching my back. Took it easy. I was thrilled I could even ride. Still a little sore. Great time with Vince, Ryan, Rey. and Ricky exploring other trails than our norm.
    IMG_1675.JPG

Ryan the Trackstand King
    IMG_1674.JPG

mike, rossage, doublewide and 14 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'm bummed I missed this one... I've wanted to get back up there. Sounds like it was fun!

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

It was fun....but the downs and one of the climbs were tore up good. I don't think I've ever seen it that bad before.

20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    mike, rossage, doublewide and 12 others like this.
  21. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    ^^That bottom of that chute looks like there has been some dirt inspection going on!

Faust29, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Yea we needed to improve the transition for the exit. Photo doesn’t do the slope justice. Booges Slider #2.

Faust29, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Las Virgenes Open Space into Cheeseboro. Gas Pipe and Ireland were in great shape. Planning a 30+ 4k+ ride there within the next month.IMG_20180114_123757_402.jpg IMG_20180114_123757_408.jpg IMG_20180114_123757_399.jpg

mike, rossage, doublewide and 11 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Quick outing to keep testing the new fork (and to have fun and fitness, of course). I removed a spacer last night and decided to run it 15% less air than recommended - 76ish psi.

5-Oaks: Someone did some work on the trail and repaired one left berm at the end of a chute. Otherwise, it's pretty rough right now. Rain helped tamp down some of the dust up top, but opened a few of the ruts at the bottom. The fork was fine. Not wow, not bad. Used all of its travel in the g-out creek at the bottom.

Rock-It: Upper road has lots of small chop. The Fox felt about the same as the DVO here - and that's a good thing, as that's where the DVO excelled. Onto the rock garden - I set up all the lines I like and the fork felt precise. That's important to me - I want to see my line and have my bike go there and hold the line without deflection. Unfortunately, I got held up by some slowpokes right at the best part of the test - consecutive foot deep holes where it's easy to get knocked off line. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to make a better determination. I really enjoyed the precision of the fork on the parts where I was able to open it up. As I mentioned yesterday, the front tire seems to hug the ground really well even though the feeling is not muted or plush, per se. I seemed to be using the proper amount of travel for my tastes.

Lynx: Lynx is as rough right now as I've ever seen it. The rain exposed more rock, and the braking bumps haven't gotten any smaller. This is where I really opened it up and was able to nail my lines and make subtle adjustments with a huge smile. Yes, there was still feedback through the hands and arms, and the bumps were not "erased," but I was smiling at the bottom. Oh, and I used all of the travel in the last drop off - did not noticeably bottom out, but the o-ring was 160 mm up the stanchion. Perfect.

Here's my horribly color-mismatched bike:

Fox on Tracer.JPG

I prefer this look over the look of the matchy-match green DVO fork that looks Wal Mart-ish to me. However, it would be nice to turn those orange decals to green.

9 miles. 1400' Three great descents and two painful pulls up Cholla.

Bikes are fun. Bikes on which everything is working are even more funer-er.

tortoise, mike, rossage and 14 others like this.
  25. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Dang, wish I could’ve joined ya

Faust29, mike, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  26. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    What settings are you using for HSC and LSC on that fork? I am having trouble getting mine to feel good.

I am already running less air than recommended and I still had an inch left after hitting the g-out on Ricky Bobby today, so I probably need to remove a spacer as well.

DangerDirtyD and SnakeCharmer like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I assumed my 10 am start was a little late for you on a Sunday.

sir crashalot and SnakeCharmer like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I don't have the HSC/LSC setup. I have the FIT4 cartridge damper. So my only choice for high speed compression is air pressure and spacers. I use about 7 out of 22 clicks of LSC (from wide open) to prevent dive. I am currently running one (10cc) spacer. I weigh 210.

I read that the 2018 is a lot more supple in the beginning while offering better mid-stroke support than the 2017 or prior. That may refer only to the FIT4 compared to the previous FIT(3?), but the 2018 has EVOL - extra volume - air spring. I'll post a very poignant review from Bike Radar in another thread.

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Herz, there are decal kits for Fox forks if you want a shade of green or something else.

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    True. The ones from Fox are the "old school" logos. It looks OK, but it would be cool to have the exact same logos but green where mine are orange. I e-mailed my customer service rep. Waiting for a response.