I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I rode my bike today, yes... with REAL MEN! :shock:
    Men that look adversity straight in the eye, spit, and then laugh near uncontrollably! :lol:
    The fear of blazing heat conditions was nothing more than our metal forged with determination and the end results were.....

...NAHHHHHHHH...

You foo's need to learn to TRUST Mikie... :roll:

When I left the house this morning at 8:00am to meet Hill^Billy and Voodoo Tom it was 66*. 20 minutes later at the trailhead it was 81*...

We hit the trail at 8:40 and totally cahhhhh-ruised up the fire road option. What little sweat we did generate, the awesome and perfect breeze turned to evaporative cooling.
    When we hit the first singletrack cross-point, we hit the middle singletrack section and this added the cool breeze, the shrub tunnels, and the overhead foliage to the equation...nice! :)

Hill^billy had to go to work after our ride, Voodoo Tom was going to a memorial up in Lake of the Woods, and to be honest I was feeling pretty crappy based on not getting enough riding in and trying to understand a completely overhauled diet, so we decide to turn around at the top of the mid section and bomb back down the singletrack to the vehicles. We had an awesome time!

Back at the vehicles it still registered as 81*
    Thanks for trusting me and coming up for a great spin you two!
    [strava]https://www.strava.com/activities/369769724/embed/e15ded5a5dacc80151dc2a1d93280cb31f7fb2e1'[/strava]

2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Awesome ride today! GE is always a hoot! Certainly makes life worth living, thanks for the call Mikie, and talking me into removing my panties (sorry Rox). :cool:

Voodoo Tom, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    To clarify... I said put away your "girl panties" and get out with me and ride... Your version sounds like we got sumptin' going on... :shock:

herzalot likes this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude

Hrz, Why don't you try MyTracks for the milage and distance. Doesn't have the same social aspect or PR pressure as Strava. Used to use it all the time, but now...
    Well, I use the "other" program on occasion.
    Congrats on moving back the Casa! :D

5. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Rode a solo whiting Luge Whiting ride. Out at 7, back by 9, not too hot at those hours.
    There was about 40 ladies hiking up Santiago Truck Trail in 4 separate groups. All very friendly and easy on the eyes too! They mentioned they were going down the Luge, and I'm thinking bad idea..Some guys just Rip down the trail! Came across 4 hiking down the Luge, they moved out of the way but really had no where to go... :lol:

So glad I didn't hit them...there is a joke in there, but I'll keep it clean! ;)

knucklebuster likes this.
  6. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Right! Prolly should have not said that. Oh well, I don't care much what people think :lol: And nice to ride with you voo-doo.

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Great ride boys, nice to finally ride with you H^B. Temps were no big deal,trail was great and others missed out. Great day...Thanks for the invite Mikie.

Mikie likes this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    First big post with the new forum software... And posting from the phone. :p

I've hardly ridden the last month, so I wanted to get a few climbs and see how out of shape I am. I still rode mostly on the road, but I jumped into Whiting and cleaned Dreaded and Mustard. Granny gear all the way, but I made it! I loved the sand pit at the base of Mustard, just past the Red Rock trail. I think I lost two minutes trying to muscle through the sandbox. That was worse than the sand in Pioneertown! :eek:

The Garmin said 98 at Four Corners, and it really felt it...

Anyway... 22.5 miles and 3,300 feet!
    image.jpg

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I rode my bike today. Another home to JRA ride to check out the 2016 Ripley. Started at 8:45 and it was already in the 80's. Generally took it easy and didn't really feel the heat until I started descending into Cheeseboro. Decided to add some miles so I hit Palo Comado, Shepherd Flats and Gas Pipe down to Las Virgenes. Took Las Virgenes over to De Anza Park where I hit Grasslands to Malibu Creek State Park. From there it was the Creek of Doom to the M*A*S*H site and out to Cornell for a few miles of pavement to JRA. Ended up with 27.6 and 2976'. It was 105 when I finished so I'm going to attribute my ability to take the heat to working in it 10+ hours a day. I actually felt good when I finished. For those wanting to know the new Ripley is a beautiful bike. Can't wait to see the LS version.

http://app.strava.com/activities/370586362

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I keep reading about the MASH site... I need to get up there and see it in person! Too many rides, too little time... :confused:

Mikie, knucklebuster and UPSed like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So I got in a couple of rides yesterday...... Started like this:

Friday: Get a text from my big ride buddy in crime....."you up for a 5am ride tomorrow before the social ride Saturday night?"

Me: "What you do have in mind?"
    Him: "Nothing crazy...was thinking B*-Sierra Peak-Skyline-Sierra Peak-B*".
    Me: "You realize we are towing B.o.B. trailers for the night ride....right?"
    Him: "Yeah, we'll just cruise"
    Me: "That is 39 miles/6300'.....but yeah, I am in"

So we started out at Blackstar @ 5:00am, and it was 67* and really really dark. However, we were not alone. We caught and passed a couple of other riders in the bottom of the canyon. It was getting warm before we even got to Beeks, and the sun had not yet completely risen. Decided to drop down Skyline first before it got really hot....good call. Got back up and out to Sierra Peak while it was still "comfortable". On the way down Blackstar, you could feel it getting pretty warm. We were back at the Tree Farm by 9:00am. Would have been a little quicker but he was fighting a flat tire.

Ended up with 32 miles/5000' accent
    Screenshot (46).png

We then had a social/party ride planned for the evening for my wife.
    6:45pm roll out from the Tree Farm it was still pushing 96*.
    I drew the short straw and towed the B.o.B. trailer with the cooler and beverages....we estimated it at about 50 lbs. My buddy got the light trailer with the food...lucky bastard.
    There would be not PR's up Blackstar tonight. I found myself making stops at places I wouldn't normally. Just past the 2nd cattle gate, I was drenched with sweat...it was hot, my legs were burning and it was much more humid than it should have been. Finally made it to Beeks'. Pizza, Polo Loco, cupcakes, "adult beverages"(Gatorade for me) and a Disco Ball. Hung out with our group of 9 for quite a while. By the time the food was gone and the beverages were all consumed....I was bone dry. Decending Blackstar, the girls were out front, and I was following the other trailer....then WTF...he makes the hard left to drop down Booby Trap....bastard!!!! I dont' normally ride down it, let alone towing the trailer. Not so bad, but did have a "oh Sh!t" moment, but pulled it out.

IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    Back on the road, the other trailer got a flat, then we had a crash, then another flat. Descending Blackstar @ 11:00pm in short sleeves was great.

17 miles/2300' accent
    Screenshot (48).png

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That sounds like a really fun time, J! And, Happy Birthday to the Mrs!

I don't think I'd hit any of the single track with a trailer in tow... I know my limits. :eek:

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  13. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    ^^^ nice ride report J !!
    As for Me, just finished a small stroll in skyline, w friends want it to try it with this heat, and I asked a couple times... are you guys sure? is going to be 100+ tomorrow... well they came, we rode, only 2.5 miles and we were soaking on our own sweat, then were going cucu from the heat, and they called a day... good for me !!! we came down on some side trails and one of them had both legs stiff, he said he was cramping really bad, because he didn't had anything for breakfast and did not had water the day before.... there you go, never try to attempt a ride on an empty gut... specially if the ride is next to hell temps.... we made it to the car, and we were happy nothing bad happened, I did tell the story of roxy and friends rescuing the solo hiker a couple weeks ago... know your limits, it will help you on the long run... sorry but the pic I got is tooooooo big for the site!!!

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Thanks. I am less concerned with mileage and distance (isn't that the same thing?) than I am with altitude gained. For better or worse, I judge my rides by vft climbed - and smiles per mile - which no app tracks.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

All in the eye of the beholder.....whether my face shows it or not....I am always smiling on the inside on my rides. ;)

Mikie, Faust29, jaime and 1 other person like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @mtnbikej - my comment was not in any way a jab at you. It was a response to a suggestion to track my mileage. I don't care about mileage - but I do care about how much I climb in a given ride. I can't do what you do (and don't really aspire to) and although I hate climbing, I feel good for doing it. Especially (or maybe only) if there's a rewarding, fun descent as a treat for my efforts.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Not taken personally....just sharing.:cool:

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I actually meant to include this in my little ride report from yesterday, but forgot. This gives me the chance to see the differences when posting from a computer versus the phone... :)

Is it just me, or is the photo uploader really slow? I tried the "drag and drop" into the edit window, but I thought it froze.

Does anyone know more details about the kitty sighting in Whiting?

IMG_4850.jpg

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Look at the size of your mammoth pic Mister??? I'm gonna haftah put a filter on yo azz! :rolleyes:

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I shrunk the file size way down, but I should have decreased the dimensions at the same time. The funny thing is that it looks perfect on the phone. The forum software resizes everything nicely.

Mikie likes this.
  21. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Rode up mt waterman took Gandola down. .photo's included
    FB_IMG_1439847355960.jpg
    FB_IMG_1439847338621.jpg
    FB_IMG_1439847347137.jpg

Cisco Roots, Cornholio, Luis and 7 others like this.
  22. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Taking the gondola down just doesn't seem right :confused: But good on ya for riding up!

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Rode to work & back today and when I got home I found out it was just me & the kid for the evening. So naturally I ask what he wants to do and he says lets go for a bike ride. Little did he know the bikes were already in the back of the truck.
    IMG_2827.jpg
    So then he proceeds to tell me as I was snapping this picture to hurry up and that he will be the cool guy on the mountain bike and I can just be the dork that drives the truck. OK so he got me on that one but now it's time to go ride and have guy time. We start pedaling and his next question is hey dad what is that hook thing on the top of your helmet? I tell him it is a mount for a gopro camera and he tells me so you must not be a pro at mountain biking since you don't have a gopro. Later after he cleaned the singletrack we hit he even had the nerve to ask me if he could have a bb gun. Never a dull moment.

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    ^^^Love the PIC!^^^

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  25. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

Parenthood.....great stuff!!!

LLPoolJ, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  26. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    After almost a month, got my main rig back fully functional with re-rebuilt shock and a new dropper to replace the blown one. Uneventful but fun shakedown cruise with Sir Crashalot in Laguna Coast and El Moro, Willow-Fenceline-Rattlesnake-Ticketron-Lizard-Camarillo-Stagecoach for a whopping 13.5 miles - 2444 elev. Big smiles being back on my favorite bike again.:inlove: Trails in good shape (all that graded loose dust stuff is gone) and a cool ocean breeze:thumbsup:

Cornholio, ridinrox, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The quizzical ones are fun, and they are usually too smart for their own good! You better hang on when he hits the teen years! :thumbsup:

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Big smiles and lots of PRs on that ride! :thumbsup:

Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  29. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    image.jpg

Rode with the (IN)famous Rossage today. JPL lot up brown to Ken Burton (still closed) and back down through El Prieto. Fun stuff on this classic San Gabes route

30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    I got out for a quick 9.4 miles/1,159ft ride at Oaks after work today to try out my new bars and stem. Went from 720mm flat bars to a whopping 800mm with 23mm rise on the new ones. The stem I tried out today was 60mm down from 70mm.

Really liked the extra width but only time on the trails will tell if I want to cut them down at all. I could definitely feel the difference, especially on tighter switchbacks where my wagon wheels were easier to get around the bend. The rise is what I really noticed and in a good way. Standing up to pedal was much more comfortable and felt a lot better on this bike than before. I did notice my front wheel feeling a tad lighter in the steep climbs but the better positioning going DH made up for that. :D I am going to try a 50mm stem after a few more days on the 60mm (thx LBS!) but even the 10mm drop was already noticeable from my previous 70mm.

Anyways, enough rambling from me..

image.jpg

Luis, Cisco Roots, ridinrox and 6 others like this.