I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    End of the year ride with OTB today. Started at JPL and rode up to the top of Brown Mountain, dropped down Ken Burton to the Gab. Back up to the first saddle and down and out through El Prieto.
    Lost track of how many showed up. A good time was had by all.
    20 mile loop with some Chipotle action at the end.

11DB540B-8CB0-45C8-AD78-DB691FEE87B4.jpeg 1B493A23-8C16-4C4A-AF85-AE77AB864BFF.jpeg FC1B927A-8E2C-4971-8C65-A3C06BEF4C9B.jpeg 859A1F72-1083-4E86-B093-986CD7252B80.jpeg

Tom the Bomb, Danimal, mike and 20 others like this.
  2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Last Day
    Last Day to Volunteer
    Last Chance to make 2K miles during a hard year.

Needed 18mi to make, tired from big week on the bike. So what to do? Double-down an ride the SS.

Beautiful day in El Moro. About half way into the ride I was fading .... started to think I wasn't going to make it.

Then I hit the tailwind and the energy went up.. and started to power around. (True story)

Interesting.

Came across the 3 young men when I was giving directions to a hiker, from quick glance might have thought a bit of trouble from dress helmets etc. They started to quiz me about good trails and asked about Ole Emerald (quick fun ST) the had already done lizards, first time here. Turned out just nice kids wanting to get some stoke, just just stretching the MTBing wing. Super nice polite, I rode the over to Ol Emerald gave them a few pointers, 2 had decent bikes and one on a total clunker ("I'm working on getting a real MTB") I could tell he already had skills.. you could see the BMXer in him. And thanked me several times and I was off. They were the Stranger things version of Bike Kids (that's what I thought anyway)

OTOH as I was cruising down a Trail named "No Dogs" I stop to politely tell a young well dressed Trio that Dogs were not allowed in the back country. Let's just say I like Dogs...it's the little snotty entitled fouled mouth wretched owners that I dislike. (Oh did I say that out loud!)

Oh nice group of horse folks too (they are regulars and like MTBers and communicate well)

Anyways great day on the bike 20mi 2.5k
    Great Week on The Bike ~90mi 13.5k ft
    Nice way to end they year...

IMG_20171231_104752.jpg

Screenshot_20171231-175557.png

Tom the Bomb, Danimal, mike and 19 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Once again, I did not mean to ride today, especially since I woke up with the cold that my daughter and wife have been incubating. Once again, I saw my friend Kevin, whom, until yesterday, I hadn't seen in over a year. This time, quite by accident. See I was riding with this lovely lass when Kevin spied us at the picnic tables and came over to say hi.
    4.4 miles. 200' .....A MILLION smiles.

Ruby at Aliso 12-31-17.JPG

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I had plans and aspirations to get out and do a longer ride today. I wanted to get in 6000' of climbing to get 650,00' for the year. Met up @Faust29 at the Tree Farm and rolled at 7:00. We weren't quick up Silverado Canyon.

We reached Maple Springs and began the slog up the paved section. Again, we weren't quick. Short break at the end of the pavement. We slow rolled it up Maple Springs...stopped a few times. Steve couldn't breath.....on the other hand, I had no legs.

My plan was to head over and drop Eagle and climb back up Skyline. With no legs, I decided to drop Motorway with Steve....and just accept I was gonna come up short. Didn't push too much down Motorway, but just kept going. Turns out set a PR for this year on it....whodathunk. o_O

Great Sunrise this morning:
    IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg

So I went home, had lunch and took a nap.

@horsebikerider still wanted to ride this afternoon, so I told her I'd go with her. A quick ride over to the Oaks. Decided to take the Tallboy and just take it easy. I needed to get in 1100' to meet that 650,000' number.

So a run down Yucca, up Bumblebee, up Goat, down Cactus, up Bumblebee, down Goat.....ended up with 1300'.

Good ride with Suz.

IMG_3312.jpg IMG_3311.jpg

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I think it’s an improvement!

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 5 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    End of the year Motorway run...

Yep. This was the 1/2 lung ride... Zero air capacity and an out of control heart rate. It was downright painful. One of my slowest loops, but with the highest suffer score. :gag:

I guess the Sudafed, DayQuil and loopy feeling led to a Motorway PR. o_O Whooda thunk it?

Happy New Year!

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 13 others like this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I rode Whiting two evenings ago (which happened to be my birthday.. 64!?!).. including a long pavement/dirt climb to the top of Dreaded (via water tank road) and down Dreaded under a setting sun. I like that descent, but might need better brakes and/or meatier tires cuz I was pretty sure my set-up was ready to fail at any time. :eek:

And this afternoon I rode up Harding to the PoNR. Easily double most climbs I've done lately, but surprisingly OK at an endurance pace. Changed into dry gear for the long descent and wished or was saved from disaster by the fact that I'm riding flats and not really comfortable getting air over all those amazing water bars. Self-preservation won out, but I can't help thinking how fun this descent's going to be once I switch back to cleats and some rain packs the loose stuff.

Happy New Year, y'all!

9. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Finally after 3-1/2 months of not riding, I got out to spin around O’Neil to shake out my new steed, she still needs a new rear wheel but was very happy with her. And yes it’s another Santa Cruz:thumbsup:
    28CF08EE-492D-4A68-BEB7-168FA05C9264.jpeg

Tom the Bomb, mike, Danmtchl and 16 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Very nice.......but you gotta lose all the shifty bits on the back. :sneaky:;):D

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  11. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Haha, That thought has already gone through my mind......

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    y29m7.jpg

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 6 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I was going to say how refreshing it was to see a Highball with a proper set of shifty bits on it!!!
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 10 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

While we are at it.....your Chameleon has too many shifty bits as well.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That's the way they sent it to me... the good people at Santa Cruz must know what they're doing!?!?!?!

Tom the Bomb, herzalot, mike and 8 others like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Nah, they only know DH bikes.

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 7 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I thought they were a skateboard company!

Tom the Bomb, mike, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Ended the year with another ride up Harding. Sorry I didn't know Jason and Steve were doing the Maple Springs loop because I might have joined them :)

Very pretty dawn in the mountains. I made the mistake of wearing a shell over my riding jersey, and had to stop half way up to remove it, after which my jersey was freezing cold from sweat for the next hour :) First one up Harding... first one down.

We need some rain... the mountains are looking dusty. A year ago I was riding snow. Today just warm and dust. Up and down in 2:25. 3400 feet, 18.4 miles.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Danmtchl and 12 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Ha-hem. Posted recently. :p

D4ED45F4-EA9D-4A6B-8268-9E5DA873B0D6.jpeg

Tom the Bomb, mike, rossage and 9 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Oh my, what is that!!!!

Mind. Blown.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I had something new planned but sick kid meant there was no way I could get out in time to make the trailhead yesterday. So instead I went to Laguna and did a two park chunk tour. Up Canyon Acres, down Car Wreck, up to Cholla, down Stairsteps, up Willow, down TnA. Parks were crowded but the only real traffic on the singletracks was a group of about 30 hikers in the final rock garden and at the car on Car Wreck. I had to walk part of the rock garden as there was just no way through with hikers scattered everywhere. Fun times on the bike.

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
  23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    That's pretty much my opinion about all trail access:

It's the mountain bikers who bike wilderness trails who give the rest of us a bad name.
    It's the dirt bikers / moto crowd who bike non-motorized trails who give the rest of them a bad name.
    It's the e-bikers who bike non-motorized trails who give the rest of them a bad name.
    It's the dog owners who take their dogs on non-dog trails who give the rest of us a bad name.

I run with my dog(s) every week, and usually take them on trail walks. I don't take them where they aren't allowed. Pretty simple. Amazing how society works like that - I respect you and you respect me and the world is a happy place. It's the people who feel they are the exceptions to society who suck. I truly believe they are a small minority... but in a populated area there are always enough that they have an out-sized impact.

Don't get me started about dog owners who refuse to clean up after their pets...

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Short ride window today, so I did my usual for 15 miles and 1,400 feet. Hour and a half. Bikes are fun!!!

26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Tried to get a good new years ride in, but it was more of ride and repair. Helped out with 2 flats, and one was a dirt bike and a missing cleat bolt. Maybe tomorrow I can get a better ride in.

27. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Omg I actually snuck out for 55min and rode today. A loop from my home. Felt good. First strava recorded trail ride since oct 22nd.

28. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Old San Juan to Viejo Tie to Chiquito with Crashnot and Taylor. Epic fun! 100-proof riding on one of (if not) the burliest tech run in the SAs. My second time on it, and it's officially in my top three now. Rubber down? No way, I was off the trail more than once but all good fun. I got all the rock features I snail-eyed on last time, and the Smash was a great tool for the job. Thanks to SirCrash and Taylor for a fun day of getting whipped in the face fifty thousand times :)laugh:) and other assorted challenges :cool:. Nice start to '18! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

29. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee

Nice seeing you guys!

We did our annual Ride to the Clouds from Cooks, up Maple to the peak and down Holy Jim. Last year it rained the entire time, and this year could not have been more opposite. Weather was awesome and temps were perfect.

I was surprised how bad the condition of Maple is (lots of silt and holes). The gate has been open for a while and the traffic is really doing a number on it.

30. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Much fun, f'in love that route, great way to start the new year!