I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Most seat bags don’t play well with dropper posts.

Sidewalk, mike and doublewide like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I don't use one of those contraptions so I never remember that niggling little detail. :unsure:

da big hills, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That’s why it’s so endurobro to just tape your spare tube to you frame.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Another quickie with Jennifer before work.IMG_20171216_092807_776.jpg

5. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya Baby 1st ride in 6 weeks . All good Ready to get back at it. Marshall Cnyn 10 miles 1500.

6. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    TMI! :whistling:

7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Taylor how do you like that coil over shock on the Giant?

Runs with Scissors, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I finally got on a bike today. It's been two weeks, and I felt it.

Took the new Kona out for a test spin to see how everything fits and feels. The SRAM Double-Tap setup took probably 30 seconds to get used to - but I really need to get better at derailleur setup. :cautious: Not there yet, although it mostly works.

I should have checked all the bolts. Stood up to mash and the handlebars rotated forward and down. :sick: Thankfully not too much. I stopped and tightened up the bolts and all was good thereafter. Truly an "oh sh!t" moment, though.

The bike itself: Holy Toledo, Batman!! I like!! I took it - where else? - on the FLoop since it's got just about every type of terrain this bike is likely to see. I have the handlebar height set so I'll be cutting the steerer tube either tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't want it longer later on. :laugh:

It FLooped in 1:11:13 moving time, which is only 15 minutes less than my PR. Probably 5-7 minutes of that was having to figure a way around the tunnels under Bastanchury after the golf course. Full of mud and water, so I went around it via the bike path by the hospital. Having a 2.2" Ikon on the back with a 2.25" Ardent on the front made it faster, although I can't see leaving those on there full time. But I did notice it's a rigid frame. :rolleyes: My wrists are feeling it.

The 36t chainring paired with the 10-42 cassette seems to be perfect for anything I'll want this bike to do.

This will probably be my go to bike now. Honestly? I believe it could tackle the Motorway - from the house - and be fun. :thumbsup:

upload_2017-12-16_13-41-49.png

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I noticed that right after I posted it! :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Ed, I think there's already a "My Wife Rode Me" thread... :geek:

Tom, good work, buddy. It would be great to share some dirt soon. :)

11. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Got out to the scorched earth we still call Santiago Oaks today. Was able to go up chutes, as it is now open. Bumblebee & Coachwhip are still closed. Did chutes, cactus, bumblebee (the open part) to mountain goat, up oak down hawk. Back up oak all the way to the top. Had a snack at the flag. Down deer and up to the bench along barham. Turned around and went the normal way down deer back up to the flag. Over too and down yucca, across bumblebee and up mountain goat to the top. Finally down chutes ridgeline and out. Most the trails are in good shape. Hawk is real powdery near the bottom. All the sight lines on all the trails are insane right now... for obvious reasons.

6C104190-87C8-4BD5-9536-2927332A6772.jpeg

3D4E99D2-6570-459D-816A-6E6DC109F84A.jpeg

DD53B991-86A9-40C4-90D9-73FBF46474EA.jpeg

OTHRider, scan, Cyclotourist and 16 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    We all have one of those "off days" on the bike once in a while and today it was my turn. About the only thing that went well for me on my ride through Strawberry Peak was the 2.5 mile fire road climb up to Augustine Saddle (no stops). I was spooked about riding through there alone with all the exposure this ride has. So, I rode too slow, too slow to keep momentum through sections I have bolted over/through before. This caused lots of dabs/dismounts/HABs. I was shocked to not see a single other bike the entire ride through. Only 2 sets of hikers and one really fast trail runner (who I saw several times!). Very quiet up there today. The trail is in fair-to-good condition. Even though there has been considerable brush clearing along the way through, there is still much overgrowth to clear. I checked my self for ticks about a thousand times today with all the contact I was making. It's fairly loose in many sections, although I have seen it worse. Since I was off my game, I decided to just take the highway back to Clear Creek Junction (skipping Gab Trail), where I was parked. Strawberry Spring was dry.

14.62 miles
    2464'
    1188 calories

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

13. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Rode Holy Jim-Trabuco with a couple of buddies. It was the first time doing that loop for all of us. The ride was a blast. Perfect temps for a ride today. A little chilly coming in the canyon but we all shed the jackets once on Holy Jim. The climb up was a good grind. Rocky, rooty single track all the way up and loose in some areas. We were passed by a couple of those bikes that we don’t mention on here. We saw probably a dozen other bikes up there today. The Main Divide was the Main Divide. Trabuco descent was a blast. We ran into a big group of hikers in the loose shale section. That wasn’t much fun since we had to slow way down and wind our way through them, but everyone was friendly. Ended up with 29 miles and 4,691 feet.
    F153C5FF-103D-4193-91B7-3EF04CF30EDB.jpeg C35CF477-E817-4A3E-B695-0BD4F4577218.jpeg 0CD373D7-0A7E-42FF-95E5-F4CE9B43602F.jpeg EB554169-3DDC-496D-9AA9-DCDB3BD52F32.jpeg 64CA948D-9C69-4F58-BDDC-ACC001CC6EF9.jpeg

OTHRider, bvader, Voodoo Tom and 15 others like this.
  14. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Bronson CC v3
    Did a late afternoon solo lapper; stair steps, planned on hitting rockit or Lynx but daylight was burning so down stairs, up willow and down TnA. I surprising cleaned the Phillips road climb before the HAB up stairs :eek:. See below for my cruiser run down Stairs. As you'll notice I passed a few riders on their way up who were too :cool: for school so they better not have been any of you! o_O Also, I should have some gimbal footage coming soon so stay tuned.

Shred on,

Taylor

15. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Nice el moro run.. perfect temps..cool weather... hit usual suspects.. lots of riders on off menu stuff.. hit some new trails too.. there is a reason why i usually stay on regular trails..gnar!

16. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    My trail bike is out of service, needs a new brake set so when my bud Mark asked where to ride I suggested Raging River which has a long climb up a mild singletrack, perfect for my hardtail. Up here in Washington where it rains pretty much all the time every ride at elevation means high chance of snow.

For most of the climb we hit light patches of snow but due to the tree cover most of it was dirt until we hit the clearcut at the apex of the climb. Lucky for us there was not too much snow so we continued on the trail (the main ride here is a lollipop and we were now on our way into the lollipop portion). Riding on the snow was bliss!! Only a few inches, perfect traction, a total blast.

Halfway through the lollipop we hit the main descent. The choice was to hit the descent or turnaround and head back where we came which wld be just an oab. This descent is black diamond rated and I was on my XC hardtail rig but man the dirt looked so good, we decided to go for it! I took it slow, only walked 3 or 4 spots.

Todays ride was so awesome. We completed the lollipop, 20 miles and 4000 gain. Crazy that in mid December we still could ride up here. We thought we wldnt be able to complete the full ride until next spring at the earliest. Glad we took the risk and went for it!

0CBB5B84-4988-4A33-91F9-5887F149F680.jpeg

4BBB2D10-F922-49F6-9118-C5D1C0A76BF5.jpeg

A45BEF48-CA51-4BDF-B0CF-155968033016.jpeg

60D8B04A-214A-4CD1-8CE0-9D751B8E506A.jpeg

17. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    @Cisco Roots, you are keeping me fired up to milk the Front Range...way to get after it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMTBT nationwide network of MTB stoke, right here!!!!!!! :geek::thumbsup:

20. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Yeah man!! :thumbsup:

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, mike and 3 others like this.
  21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The Smeegies came over, and we hit Marshall Cyn. Planned on going to Webb Cyn from Marshall but Claremont Wilderness Park was closed due to red flag warning. Wind was very light out there but I can appreciate the precautions the City is taking to protect this place.

Took the Slash after having the suspension serviced in house by Dylan at Cyclery USA in Rancho of Cucamonga. The Bike felt better than evah, and it’s five years old! So stoked! Till next year, I hope not!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1317802899

Faust29, Cyclotourist, scan and 8 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I rode. Took the Easter Egg out for a spin from home base. I hate riding that beast on pavement. It feels so wrong, lol. Anyway, the destination was Cherry Canyon. Did the usual loop plus a few extra credit steep downhill sections.

11.04 miles
    1591'
    836 calories

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

24. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Enjoyed el moro so much on sat that i hit it again today. Went w a kinda new guy. He wanted to rattlesnake.. was having a great time.. mostly alone..just an awesome day! Even more awesome when friend rode rattle no problems..no bites.. saw him flowing down..w a big grin on his face!
    Could see santiago peak and catalina...
    I love mtbkin!

Redman, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I got a shuttle ride up to the top of the hill, and attempted to get as much dirt as possible on the way home... success!
    Ran out of light for the long route, but had a LOT of fun on the shorter one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1319046018

24285499457_a8d6beff65_c.jpg

38437255544_bc6e2f9227_c.jpg

26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Just a lil' quickie sundowner to keep the legs loose and warmed up, 6.05 miles.

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"