I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    hey old and in the way,
    i gotta join the blackstar social one of these days.. b/c oaks is closed, my weekday riding options have dwindled....
    riding in the dark scares me... even with lights, I tend to go off trail! (well just once)
    heard that oaks might be open soon?? at least some portions?
    back to fully.

2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I rode my bike today!

My wife took the baby to meet some co-workers in Pasadena to walk the rose bowl, so I jumped at the chance to get a ride in. I hit up my quickest local loop, I guess I'll call it Schabarum trail/ 3 oaks preserve. Starts off Grand avenue in West Covina and crosses over the hill down into Walnut. The section off Grand (Schabarum trail) is pretty similar to 7th street loop at Turnbull, A small shaded canyon, and the trail itself it quite similar. It was actually like a wide singletrack earlier this year, but trail maintenance saw a plow go through and widened it out. As a result it was also really loose and dry last time I tried it. I was really disappointed because it's a good loop I can hit up from my doorstep in under 1 1/2 hours. i guess it's seen some use since the summer though, because it was pretty rideable today, even though the switchbacks are still pretty loose. This section ends at the top of the hill by the water towers. From there it heads south into Walnut down a steep hillside with some narrowish switchbacks, (look for the car wreck wedged into the canyon at the bottom), then out overlooking the sports fields and spits you out down onto Amar Rd.

From here I head along a bridle/multi use trail and up through the housing development on Lemon Ave. At the top, the path goes East/West overlooking the San Gabriel Valley to the North. This section reminds me of the Coyote Hills section of the floop, only this is on hard packed dirt. Similar type of path though. Was super clear today, had a clear view of downtown, and the smoke plumes from the fires to the North west.

This section ends the loop, and its back down the trail towards Grand. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7013859 that is the entry I created for the schabarum section of the trail. With some photos I took from last year. It's a great little loop, from my door it's about 12 miles, and 2300 ft of climbing.

3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    20171209_095432.jpg looking east, the final section of schabarum trail on the east side off grand. Heads up to buzzard peak overlooking Mt. Sac. 20171209_094926.jpg the bridle trail at the top of lemon20171209_090633.jpg heading up the switchbacks off Grand

Grego, Cisco Roots, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'm no longer a San Juan uphill virgin. :p

I've ridden down San Juan several times before, but had never climbed it... I've only ridden it from home. So today, with fresh legs, @mtnbikej and I started from the parking lot at 7:15. Hugh was running late, and caught us before Cocktail Rock. Not many trail users on the climb- a couple lady trail runners, and that was about it.

Looking for Hugh Behind us...
    IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg
    From there we took some new dirt - Old San Juan. That is a pretty wild trail. Ups, downs, drops, roots galore... It was one of the little drops near the top that burped my front tire. Loudly. No crash, but there was a controlled skid... :whistling: No harm, no foul. I guess 16.5 psi was a little light for that trail. But it gave Jason the opportunity to climb back up for extra credit. :thumbsup:

Almost at Blue Jay
    IMG_1612.jpg
    Up to Blue Jay for some cold water, and then down one of the connecting single tracks that was new to me... Fun times. A loose tire plug was tire issue #2 for me today, but it was quickly repaired.

Too much torque for the chain!
    IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

Back to a very crowded Cocktail Rock, and back down... fun day, nice temps, good company. And only 30 minutes from home by car. :eek:

And this was on the driver window... I can't see shuttling it, but to each his own...

IMG_1621.jpg

We finished the day with dogs at Jerry's in Ladera Ranch... Good stuff. :thumbsup:

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    So that's what @theguywhodoesntdoforums looks like. Hmmmh. I heard of him but until now, he was only a legend in my world.

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Nobody you know....trust me.

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's only one of many. There's a secret underground cabal of talented riders who don't look for forum glory. :p

Grego, kioti, scan and 6 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yup....San Juan Trail today....and we didn't climb up the other side of the mountain to get there. Hugh was running late, but we didn't know that for nearly an hour.

The climb up is steady, but we weren't setting any land speed records. At times the wind was blowing pretty good. Parts of the trail are getting tough with the loose kitty litter. I did however clean all the switchbacks going up and down. Hugh was about 1/2 mile behind us so we backed off the pace....he caught up about 1 mile from Cocktail Rock.

Headed up Old San Juan Trail....forgot about the 2nd climb. Dropped down the trail....rocks, roots, ruts....lots of fun goodness. Much more torn up since the last time I was on it. Yes, we started to head back up the trail a little bit when @Faust29 hadn't come down in too much time. Good thing it was a mechanical and not a tumble.

We turned left on San Juan Trail and continued on up to Blue Jay. It's not that far, but it is a legitimate climb...enough to keep you honest. Just before the top I struck a low branch....smacked my noggin' pretty good. I also had my chain skip/pop really loud....thought I broke another link. May be a little gun shy for a while climbing the really rocky sections. Turns out it was all good.

Blue Jay was dead....no fires allowed...no campers. Rolled through the campground and to the new SJ Trail Head at the back. Had the trail to ourselves all the way back to Cocktail Rock. Steve was dealing with a loose tire plug before the climb to Cocktail Rock. Hugh popped his chain on the big rock garden at the bottom of the climb to Cocktail Rock.

Lots of riders at Cocktail Rock. Ride down SJ was fun as usual. A couple riders heading up.

Legs never felt good today. To be honest my legs feel better when I get to SJ from the other side...but that is just me.

Felt like I was cheating to get to the bottom of San Juan and then load the bike into the truck. :eek:

Good times out there today.

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    :eek:

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    My son and I rode our bikes today...with Aaron Gwin!

Jenson put on a great event at Sycamore. The Corona Composite Mountain Bike Team set up a practice at the event. We had a great time. It was fun/scary seeing my 11 year old drop into the plunge and take the midline down BFR.
    535CCE49-3AC1-441E-808F-3EDEC9D45EB8.jpeg B7F470C1-5264-4295-B7F1-F1DCCBEC6CE2.jpeg

RS VR6, jaime, doublewide and 23 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's cool!

But now that he's hanging with celebrities, doesn't he deserve a whole fork? :p

12. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I need to keep some kind of handicap.

mike, SnakeCharmer, kioti and 6 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    One big loop though Orange County! Some of pmy buddies have a regular ride where we meet up at the Irvine Metrolink station, go up to Whiting, then Live Oak trail. Lunch at Rose Canyon Cantina, then roll (luckily all downhill after lunch and beers!) down Trabuco wash trails to San Juan Capistrano. Hang out there, and take the train back to Irvine. A really fun social ride. I had a blast on my Salsa with road-plus tires. One of the guys had a stripped stem bolt, so abandoned at the beginning. The other two guys both ran tubes and had various tire issues, taking one of them out of the ride. Other than that, it was a really fun outing!
    Here's the route, highly recommended if you're looking for something kinda' different: https://www.strava.com/activities/1308611291 I almost cleaned the climb out of Whiting... that last switchback did me in!

38234058894_4e9fc55423_b.jpg

38949921031_cc732f5c9e_b.jpg

25078351468_6b73497991_b.jpg

bvader, Evoracer, Grego and 16 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Preposterous!

mike, pperrelle, kioti and 5 others like this.
  15. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    This last week there has been a break in the rain so got out pretty much everyday but Mon and Wed. Three rides at Black Diamond Open Space and once at Tiger. Conditions we perfect all week long!

183F923F-50F7-494B-ABA5-83236C117AB2.jpeg

Robbie, MattB, hill^billy and 17 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Glad you made it through the sea of mechanicals! Did you preach about the benefits of tubeless while they were fixing their flats? Maybe not the best time... :D

I would have joined you for part, but our San Juan ride had been postponed several times already. The stars had finally aligned.

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    @Faust29, your avatar changes faster than the chain spinning on a pocket rocket doing 140mph! :eek:

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Up and over Albertson again. I did descend Dead Cow and Falling Star this time. Can't wait for this peak season to be over. IMG_20171210_105818_532.jpg IMG_20171210_105818_531.jpg 20171210_092230.jpg IMG_20171210_104952_068.jpg

RS VR6, MattB, Cisco Roots and 13 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    As I stated elsewhere here, I planned a ride close to home. Combined Verdugo mtn/GSC/Cherry Canyon. Plenty of folks out enjoying the day. Perfect weather if not a bit warm with high overcast skies. I rode down the Eastern half of Verdugo mountain for the first time since it burned a few months back. It's really sad. 99.99% of what I rode through and could see was burned away to a moonscape type terrain. It was a relief when I reached the unburned half of the mountain again. There is actually a little bit of wild lilacs blooming along the ridge. I am happy to report that my reclined/relaxation chair in the burned zone was untouched. I tried it out to see if it still fit me, see pic. Like @UPSed, I too took a pic of the smoke stack from the huge fire to the West. So sad.

Garmin says:
    27.39 miles
    4163' elevation gain
    2117 calories

I had to push the bike a short ways a few times up some brutal steepness when I was nearing the end of the ride because my legs were spent. Stopped at Starbucks for a cold refresher when I got back into civilization. Left knee is angry with me, it's got an ice pack on it now. Right Hamstring keeps cramping. :mad:

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3244.jpg

RS VR6, jaime, Cisco Roots and 9 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Morning ride with the high school kids at Crafton Hills. Literally some of the best riding weather ever these last few days. Just amazing! Trails were really dusty. My charge and I split off with a few others about 2/3 of the ride. This is his first significant ride in a while, so happy to keep him happy! Enjoying a margarita as I type on this spring afternoon!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1309646407

27191975489_8db412317a_b.jpg

24101746947_73128c3192_b.jpg

And milestone reached today! I hit 100,000 of climbing for the year!!!

21. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    We can't get enough of our local goods, knowing we won't be local for long. The Weez and I rolled away from a frozen Evergreen Lake, heading for the Pioneer Trail to Elk Meadow open space a few miles away.

bergen12-10_01.jpg

bergen12-10_02.jpg

Above the Meadow; Denver metro out yonder.

bergen12-10_03.jpg

Usually we descend this trail, the Smash loves it. Problem is, the other trail up is also a five-star descent. First-world conundrums again.

bergen12-10_04.jpg

Quarzite and lichen.

bergen12-10_06.jpg

Smash in its native habitat on the summit. No possibility of photos on the way down...bliss factor redlining.

bergen12-10_07.jpg

Nice day in the 50s, but signs of winter are showing.

Despite signs, almost no snow at the summit @ 9600'. We ran into a nice kid we saw a couple weeks ago on Evergreen Mountain. A good karmic swap and then he peeled off. Then we bombed it with many hoots heard; such good riding down Bergen Peak Trail...

Tacos and beer now. Lordy, could it be? Again??...

RS VR6, rossage, jaime and 11 others like this.
  22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Dude you need some tailwindzzzz, I know a guy. I've ridden some of that, solid ride.:thumbsup:

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Thanks.

I have two bags of it. I don't like the way it removes your appetite. I am on the verge of giving the stuff away. I had trail mix with me and plenty fluids so I wasn't without fuel. The truth is, I am not conditioned to do rides that size. I usually just blow out a 10-11 miler from home a few times a week because that's all the time I can spare.

24. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Flooped yesterday to test version 2 of the Retro Direct bike. V2 had some problems with the freewheel dropping the chain early on so stayed local in case of a failure. After another redesign and a ride of 25/2000 of floop gnar, no dropped chain. I'm convinced I have a winner. More on the RD thread when I get a chance.

IMG_1594.JPG

Flooped again today with some locals. 4 adults, 4 kids including Vince. Rode the RD bike again. :thumbsup: Usual Floop and some extra credit. Vince was hucking everything in sight. He had a crash coming down from a huck and would scrape up his knee but nothing serious. Later his rear shock internals blew up. No damping whatsoever. Like a pogo stick that tops out with a bang. :eek: After we got home we tried to swap it out with the shock on my Enduro. Same eye to eye length but the Trance has a much larger eye on the bottom to share a main pivot bolt. Giant's Masetro design. While we were working on the bike we noticed something else. A nice crack where the headtube meets the downtube. Vince is pretty upset, he loves that bike. Not a good day for the kid.:(

jaime, Evoracer, Cisco Roots and 11 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Better to find that out in the garage, then landing a 20 footer at Snow Summit @Grego !!!

26. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    True dat!

pperrelle, Old&InTheWay, mike and 4 others like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I still need to see this in person. Tell me when you're up for a Motorway loop!

That stinks about the Giant... :thumbsdown:

28. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Hah... Trail Slayer gets to ride so often and his skills are so good that he destroys a bike. Vincent: Glass half full, buddy! No shortage of bikes, and ways for motivated kids to acquire them. :cool:

29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ..On The Closest Trails To My House. Whiting from the top/Sage Scrub Direct. Instant speed. "Hey Jim, remember you're on flats!" OK, no problem. Down through Serrano Cow and almost collided with a big doe! Then down to Portola and over to Borrego, which I haven't been on for awhile. Still sandy in spots and lots of hikers heading out of the park. No worries, I'm just glad to be riding. Cattle Pond fun; then Mustard.. :gag: Cactus is kind of chopped up and I dropped Dreaded last time, so I descended Whiting Road. These fire road descents kind of remind me of blazing down Scotties's or Dave's run at Mammoth--I like GS turns. Just wish they had giant berms and buffed-out walls! Rode up Concourse in pink air in the last light of a beautiful day. :inlove:

30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Hey @trailslayer I gotta agree with @mike on this one. Good job showing that bike who the boss is. Nothing a shock rebuild won't fix.

mike, Old&InTheWay, Grego and 4 others like this.