I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    I'm a day late in posting ... as @Faust29 posted we did rode Maple Springs - Motorway on T-Day. Nice cool temps to start and we beat the heat to the end. I was not planning on going the distance to MW and let the boys know my batteries may run low on the last leg (the really crappy climb leg). BUT the camaraderie and the foolishness kept me going. I had not been on Motorway since the fire so I had to remember how to skate and get off the brakes. @mtnbikej also had me concerned about slicing a tire on the razor sharp rocks. However, it was a great fun ride and I earned any calories I consumed at dinner yesterday.

East from MD.jpg

Greg BMX.jpg

IMTB Boyz.jpg

Top of MW.jpg

doublewide, Luis, mike and 22 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Ain't that the truth!

mike, H2oChick, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  3. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Wow

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Did the usual FLoop and Panorama loop. 15 miles, 1,400 feet. Cool in the shade, warm in the sun. It was glorious!! :cool::thumbsup:

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Similar to the ride that started this thread... 4 ups, 4 downs and so much fun today. :thumbsup:

5-Oaks, Cholla, Rock-It, Cholla, Lynx, Coyote Run, Mathis, Car Wreck, Coyote Run, car. I got out early enough today to miss most of the predictable crowds. Nobody on 5-O, nobody on R-I, hikers on some fun parts of Lynx (top step up and bottom drop off), hikers on Car Wreck - but they heard my bell and moved aside. The thing about hikers on Car Wreck is they always step aside and stare in amazement that people ride bikes down it. Some even applaud. (Note: It's not that hard, but hikers don't know that. Shhhh....)

Legs were strong (for me), energy levels good. Bike was flawless. Nice way to end Thanksgiving week. I am truly thankful.

15 miles. 2400' ... Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Last day in paradise, back to reality tomorrow. :mad:

Got 15.52 miles in at SARA Park this afternoon. Never saw another cyclist and just one pair of hikers. However, there was Bighorn sheep on the trail along the way at one area in the outback.

E781AAF8-3F75-4026-A878-E8EB64FF2573.jpeg

463B1BC1-E0D1-4FD2-9685-C753C70E3D24.jpeg

B56606DA-27BA-4617-AD53-DD8F61F3C26A.jpeg

57C66E3A-2DFA-4C48-B25D-4F80C948BA64.jpeg

Luis, Faust29, Redman and 19 others like this.
  7. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Rode from Ladera to the Luge and back. Good ride, not too hot since we started at 6:30. On our way back down from the Lookout above the Luge, I almost ate it because of some dude who was flying down STT on his SS and yelled at me last second that he was about to pass. I didn’t even hear him coming behind me. According to some guys at the top of Luge they could hear him screaming at someone else to “get f over” on the Luge. Sh!tty trail etiquette. Also came up on a trail runner running down the Luge with earbuds in. Not the safest thing to do on such a busy trail.

3FAAC98A-02BD-4236-AF5F-5E30C41F6296.png

Luis, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 15 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Today was a short spin around Chino Hills with @H2oChick , @cajun and my friend Jeremy.

Rolled in from Brush Canyon in the cool morning temps. Headed in and up Lower Aliso to Southridge to 4 Corners. By the time we got to 4C it was already warming up. 1/2 way up Bovinian we ran into a horde of hikers....all were pleasant, except for the dick out front. "You're gonna pull over, right!" Yeah, it wasn't a question...but a statement. Then the other 40 hikers came around the corner.

Down Southridge, down Diemer, then back up Telegraph to 4C. Warm but not hot. In a matter of minutes, 4C had a horde of bikers. We took off up Raptor then down Faultline.....apparently @cajun was trying a new method of staying upright on the trail :whistling: .

Up Upper Aliso, then up Sidewinder. At this point it was getting toasty. Someone fixed the really narrow and failing section on Sidewinder....it is now rideable. At least for me. Greg had a scare and walked it. Jeremy made it through. Kay on the other hand decided that she really wanted to explore the hill off the side of the trail, and thought that using her helmet to stop her forward progress was the right call. Save for a few scrapes, she was ok.

Down Bane Ridge, we started to take the Lower Aliso Singletrack, but it was sooooo overgrown we turned around about 100' in.

Fought a good headwind back to Brush Canyon.

On a positive note...we saw a very very healthy looking coyote just below 4 Corners that didn't seem to care that we were 20' away.

Still a fun day on the bike.

31 / 3400'

Luis, Faust29, Redman and 17 others like this.
  9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yo Cisco!
    Get the e13 sticky tires for winter riding out there. Very good on the roots. All the rippers run them out there. Have you ridden exit 57 yet?

10. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    ok you got me, a 5 toed dog or a long toed baby bear?

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
  12. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    And yes it was a good day on the bike ... the Chino Tour was nice and even the HUGE hiking group was pleasant. I grew tired and forgot the golden rule, do not look where you do not want to go. In Chino Hills there are not any technical spots except one (yeah, you can ride too fast going downhill and eat it in a rut) - I found that one. Tipped over on the loosey turn and slid down the side about 10+ feet head first. And there must have been a rock. or four. But the bike is fine and I just placed an order for a couple helmets to replace the one that saved my head. I don't know how the NFL guys do this every week - I still had a nice ride

Ouch!.jpg

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Hardcore. :eek::eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::notworthy:

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Helmet sacrifice....good job on the helmet. But this should go in Crash Confessions, shouldn't it? :p

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Righteous sacrifice!

16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Quick spin at Oakmont. Rode Rattler which I haven't been on in a while. Of the three distinct loops, the first two are brushed, but the third is pure Russian thistle. Had to stop a few times before turning around to pull them out of my shoes and gloves... ouch! A nice ride, finishing up right at sunset!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1290625653

24774928018_a7f68354fc_b.jpg

littlewave, Luis, Cornholio and 9 others like this.
  17. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Another LCWP Day... T&A again
    Lil Friend I came across...been seeing lots of reptiles and tarantulas

2 days in a row total 33mi 4500'

Glad your ok @H2oChick

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    You sexy thang!
    Doods dig scars. Glad it’s not worse!
    There is nothing more fun than being a lawn dart... we’ll accept for when you are NOT a lawn dart. Glad you are okay!

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    One man's short spin would be another man's Epic. :confused: :(

Glad you're mostly OK, Kay! That'll sting for a while. And probably bruise. Now everyone at work can lecture you about how mt. biking is dangerous!

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Curse of the Razorback?!?!

rzrback.jpg

Second time on it – second time with a stunning gymnastic maneuver later in the ride. Weezle cites cockiness; I blame the milking process.

Rolicking down from the summit of Evergreen Mountain, I landed minus one foot on a pedal and then...everything. Slowed.

Down.

And the casual observer I became watched inertia hurl a control-free bike and rider toward a trailside log and beyond, a hand stuffed into the dirt and folding under a forearm just before a helmet visor piles into the dirt and the dumbass crumples to a stop.

Now, let's celebrate no ER time, no wound care! I'm going huge with green tea and Aleve.

21. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    What up Tom?! I actually do have E13’s up front and waiting for my DHR to wear down a bit more b4 I put the 13’s out back. So far yes they do run very well, pretty happy with them.

Have not heard of exit 57 but think you mean exit 27 trails and yup, have hit them up! Some bad ass trails over there! You wont find them on trailforks b/c they are unsanctioned but have been lucky to have some locals show me whats up!

Evergreen MTB is building a whole bunch of trails in that area called Raging River. Theyve already finished a 20 mile lollipop loop that is sooo nice. Hopefully you can make it up here so we can ride!!! Miss you bud!

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    You guys ride this all winter? Looks great, Cisco...glad you settled right in to the local scene, and that scene sounds pretty awesome :thumbsup::geek:

23. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Technically I’m still on a “ride” and I am eating my own words because I “rode” Peters Canyon.. “On your left, on your left... ok, just stay where you are I’ll go through, ooops, no worries.”

Time ran out for me to travel and ride so I rode over to Irvine Park for a few milf laps and some drop practice on a wall/ledge then over to PC for a pedestrian suicide mission. Rode over to Wise Guys to finish with lunch and a beer or 4 (where I am posting this from).

So far I’m at about 12.5 miles with only 800ft up. :thumbsdown: Still nice to finally get out and pedal though, any ride is better than no ride and crying kids.

Some green shoots are showing some hope for recovery from the fire.
    AF8E1C3C-8BB5-42D7-AE78-9168664F3823.jpeg
    A735A98D-3C18-43C6-8EED-2B5811EBB1A2.jpeg
    8773F7D3-0C9C-4206-BC56-E8B76E989F74.jpeg
    C792A416-80D2-4B00-907A-B1860A6F0428.jpeg
    C6E92DF5-B37E-4D76-90E9-2C1A6A9E727D.jpeg

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Whiting-Luge-Whiting with @Redman, a guy named Gene and sort of @Danimal. As you may have read, Dan was going to ride his bike "long and hard" today, but then backed off the throttle due to "domestic chores." He showed up with two friends who were evidently in a hurry. Dan hung around long enough to say hi to Gene, to re-introduce himself to Kevin, then Dan and his two amigos Jeff and Martin took off for one lap of Whiting. I hope your cat enjoyed the perm and you didn't wash your reds with your whites Dan! o_O

Gene, Kevin and I stuck to the game plan. Borrego was ridiculously crowded, as we might expect on a Sunday morning. Don't you people go to church? :whistling:

The ride was relatively uneventful, in a good way. Each of us had our moments of strength on the ride. Two of the three tipped over at some point, but no injuries and barely a scratch between the two. I do believe @Redman enjoyed his first trip on the Luge, and would've liked to gone around another lap to ride it again (time permitting - which it was not). Gene saved his energy to absolutely crush the return journey through Whiting. Kevin and I gave a valiant pursuit, and I may have been clogging Redman's progress at one point or another. Sorry if I held you up, pardner! The twisty, turny, dipping fun of Cactus, Sleepy Hollow, Serrano Cow trail and Live Oak are always a hoot, although Cactus had some pretty serious braking bumps.

Wahoos after for Gene and me. Thanks for the companionship and conversation, Kevin. Catch you another time, Dan.

15/2400 - Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I love to skip this thread for a couple days, and then play catch-up. Holy Cow! @H2oChick playing lawn dart, @mike living on the edge, @SnakeCharmer chasing the 5 toed Chupacabra, @bvader going towards the snake, @kingaucho hittin' it with the SSer. What's next? :eek: :p

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Easy Sycamore Canyon cruise to the beach on Saturday with Jennifer. IMG_20171125_122859_767.jpg

27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Holy Jim to Trabuco Round 2

https://www.relive.cc/view/1291875688
    30/4700

A classic loop of the Santa Anas--- twice in one week! I had so much fun on Trabuco the other day that I threw out the call for round 2. As usual, there were hundreds of applicants, but I thinned out the herd and met @mtnbikej at Taco Plaza at 6:00 AM.

I thought it was chillier than it was, so I shed the windbreaker before we even started. The good thing is that it folds up nice, and weighs almost nothing. Mid 50s when we rolled. It dropped a few degrees when we rolled into the wash, but not too bad... The Trabuco wash is not in the greatest pedaling shape. Too many guys playing Evil Knievel in their 4x4s pushing the gravel out to the edges. :thumbsdown: But it was soon over, and we hit the Holy Jim parking lot. Several groups of hikers gearing up for their assaults on the falls and the peak. :thumbsup:

Lower Holy Jim is a grind... Thankfully the brushing has made it nicer. We made it through the first half of the switchbacks without issue, before the heart rate jumped up a little. Walk a switchback, ride a switchback, fall off the back a little... But soon enough we were out of the switchbacks and rolling into the spring- which was bone dry. Shortly thereafter, I may have decided to take a nap in some thorns. I'll let @mtnbikej describe it. He did an awesome job with @H2oChick 's lawn dart impersonation! :p

The rest of the climb to Main Divide went without issue... Thankfully. :oops:

Taken shortly after my nap.
    IMG_1551.jpg

We took a breather in the sun a few hundred yards after emerging from Holy Jim. And then there was this...

IMG_1553.jpg

No PRs across Main Divide today... It was one of those "let's just keep the pedals turning" days. :whistling: We did see one other rider, a couple hikers, motorcycles, and a half dozen 4x4s before Trabuco... No issues. Everyone was pleasant. And they were a lot better behaved than the knuckleheads tearing up and down the wash on the way out. Good behavior increases in all user groups the higher up you get!

Trabuco was a riot... Fast, loose, wooded, exposed, rocky, and only a couple hikers... At the creek crossing my tire plug came loose. No biggie, and I rode the entire lower section to the parking lot before adding a second plug, and giving it a little air. @mike - I'm a tire plug convert! True believer status.

Out the wash with all the knuckleheads driving way too fast... I thought we were done with the idiots when we hit the pavement. Then we were passed by 3 Corvettes and a Ferrari who didn't come close to giving the 3 feet. Assholes. When we saw them regrouping at the plaza for another assault on the canyon, I nicknamed them the "idiot club." Jackasses.

Tacos made it all better. I went for the rolled variety with a side of rice and beans! :thumbsup:

You don't get pictures on Trabuco. Only at the top... It's too fun to stop. :p
    IMG_1555.jpg

28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Me on the FLoop??? :rolleyes:

29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    I can’t wait until my kids are older and I can join you guys on these rides, you do plan on keeping it up when you are eligible for senior discounts.. right? ;)

Trabuco wash is the rookie “off roading” spot for those who have stock 2 wheel drive SUVs that they think are Baja 1000 worthy, always has been. Glad you guys didn’t have too much trouble.

30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Why do you think I stay pretty quiet about e-bikes? :whistling: