I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I Flooped. Added the Panorama Loop to it. Then decided to do all of that in reverse. :cool:

It was fun. 30 miles and 2,800 feet. The dirt was perfect. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The plan was to do a Black Star to Motorway loop this morning. 40s at the tree farm for a cool start, but it quickly warmed up once I hit the lower switchbacks. I even ran into @Old&InTheWay and chatted for a few minutes. It sounded like he was headed out for a monster loop of some sort! :thumbsup:

Shortly after I left Mr. @Old&InTheWay I rode into the wind tunnel. :gag: I was in and out of it all the way to Beeks. I pushed on to the ball, but really did not feel like fighting the wind all the way across Main Divide. So I changed the plan, and hit all of the single tracks on the way down, starting at the ball.

The first short single track at the ball was bulldozed during the fires, but a new line is starting to form. Easy to ride... A little powdery in spots, but a fun way back down to Beeks. :thumbsup:

On to the little single track at the gate... The top half was more of a controlled slide. Fun...

Booby Trap is a riot when it's loose. It was going to be a PR run, but nature called halfway down :oops:- which gave me the opportunity to stop and smell the roses for a few minutes. I love the views coming down the canyon!

IMG_1505.jpg

Back onto the road for a little bit, and then 3 more single tracks... All loose and fun. :thumbsup:

Back at the car, I ran into every resident of Orange County. They were all in line to reserve their Christmas trees at the farm. :eek:

Driving back through Live Oak Canyon, I saw my life flash in front of my eyes. Came around a corner to see a Mercedes SUV barreling straight towards me in my lane. Apparently, he was too good to wait and pass the 100 rider peloton safely. I dropped both passenger side tires off the road... :poop:

3. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    We rode around Bommer Canyon today, with open access day. Quite a lot of bikers and hikers out to enjoy the trails. Those trails were in really good condition too.
    Rode up Ridge Route, Hogback Ridge (which you can fly down), then Camarillo down, Stagecoach to Nix, then Stagecoach North to Cattle crest. Cattle crest is one of my favorite single tracks. Probably since it is quite challenging while at the same time all doable. Quite a few peeps were going up, which is not an easy climb! Then up Shady Oaks, Hogback ridge, Ridge Route back to the Bommer Canyon parking lot. All fun times. I wish we could ride every day...

4. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    strava link???

Mikie likes this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Harding - Joplin - STT - Luge Round about back to Harding
    Good Day a bit Tough relaxing now.
    Some bugs on Joplin, PO, but good. The leaves & acorns on Joplin in a few places like ball bearing.
    Not much traffic on STT / Luge because of the paving. Had a nice run down the luge even near end of ride.
    Long way back to Tucker since they were working on the Grade.
    Met a group of Himalayans up at 4 corners and Modejska Peak. Super nice folks, racking up the hike miles!

25.5 Mi, 4700'

Pics from a friend - Me dorkin with my ride as usual
    20171118_114840.jpg

20171118_122331.jpg

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    How is the brush on Joplin? Do we need to brush it?

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)

Mikie, mike, MattB and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Mountain biking is apparently safer than driving!

Mikie, mike, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I did a quick drive to meet @BonsaiNut and bask in his generosity! Thanks for the new addition to the house (it's still in the car)!!! The drive took longer than planned, as all things freeway-related do, and literally get out of the car as @riiz rolls up! Change out some clothes, and throw a leg over the bike #chameleonclub rolls on!!! We ended up doing the first leg of the Strada Sterrata route. Pretty sandy, but not bad. After watering at the Mill Creek USFS station, we rolled back down on some PRIMO wash trails. Some were new to Eric (cool!) and all where in perfect condition. Got home just in time for a blazing sunset! Tamales for dinner, watching Lost Boys later on tonight. A Good day!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1281069349

38455400306_9b2c564399_b.jpg

37795463904_34302f7e11_b.jpg

38455076936_47446e464f_b.jpg

37624109425_8e491dc85a_b.jpg

Magically becomes a video if you click on it:

37795427214_2b965a0afd_z.jpg

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Annual OTB Ottobeerfest with a bunch of OTBers. Threw the plus tires on as I wanted to do Suicide as part of the route. Good choice for that part of the ride but boy they sure are heavy. They felt like rolling boat anchors on the climbs but given my work week it may have just been me. Suicide is chunkier than I've ever seen it. The rest of the ride was good and the beer afterward was even better. As soon as I got home I threw the 29s back on just in case I get to ride tomorrow. I'm thinking 29×2.6 might be the ultimate set-up for me. Can't wait until Maxxis releases the Forekaster in a 2.6. 20171118_084626-1612x1209.jpg 20171118_184756.jpg IMG_20171118_132625_348.jpg

11. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    I would say yes.. I ride pretty wide bars so I take a bit of extra space...that said I think in a number of places.. particularly the "upslope" side could use some brushing to allow staying off the breaking-off lip of the downslope side of the trail... There was also a number place where I kinda had do momentum / poke through dual encroaching brush. Hope that makes sense.

Side note there was *still* a bit of water flowing

Mikie, mike, kioti and 6 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yup....after Trabuco and WHT get brushed, Joplin is next on the list.

Mikie, mike, kioti and 3 others like this.
  13. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Poor Man's Counting Coop: Blackstar Motorway Maple Springs Santiago Peak Maple Springs. 50.3 miles, 8585 feet elev. gain.
    Blackstar Motorway was sooo sweet, soothing and serene. Motorway was as always a treat. When I got to the Maple Springs Visitor Center Parking Lot it was awash with calamity spewing motor vehicles running amok. I talked to a couple of riders who had just come down Maple Springs. I asked them " how was the traffic." They replied " the worst we've ever seen." I had a mission to accomplish and I didn't want to let anything get in the way. Finishing this route has eluded me in the past and I wanted to make sure I completed it this time. Seemed more like work than play. Once I got to 4 Corners I started encountering some of the runners. That was cool.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Scary close call. I've noticed that a lot of Mercedes drivers seem to believe that they can do as they please on the roads - turn left from the right lane, pull out in front of moving traffic, drive in the other lane on a narrow two-lane road... Maybe they are like e-mtbikes, when you buy one, laws no longer apply!

But why is there a 100-rider peloton without an actual event? That just seems like a great way to get drivers really cheesed off enough to do something stupid on the way to their Pilates appointment.

Glad you weren't hit, and glad no riders were injured.

15. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Rode up to the top of the hill above home and then west towards Worsham Cyn.

DSCN1849.JPG

Love the county. Open sunrise to sunset, except for the gate that is always locked these days.

DSCN1854.JPG

16. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    It's been a while since I have signed into the site. Hope all is well with everyone! Work and bike issues have been taking up a lot my time as of late. Now that the climb switch issue has been resolved on my DHX2 I'm back stoked on my bike. Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to get the air out of the oil in the shock. Took me 3 damn tries but now it's running great again. Once complete I only had time to do a quick lap just before sunset. Up water tank to bommer and yes, down T&A. It's quickest door to door lap from my pad in North Laguna. Btw climb switches on coil shocks are awesome! Enough of my babbling so here was my run last night set to some crunchy tunes man. My confidence is definitely coming back but still have yet to get full pull. In due time. Shred on. :cool:

17. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Thanks, tbarnes.

I rode my bike today. For something different, I tried not eating shît. Pretty fun; might try that again soon...

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Met up with a couple of riding hoodlums this morning for some Tapia fun. :cool:

16.97 miles
    1722'
    1113 calories

ricke24, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  19. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Did my Volunteer ride in El Moro Today. Interesting day....
    Tired on the SS after yesterday's big day.
    14mi 2K'

So Today:
    1 Group of Idiots with Sandbags and Spears training for Spartan Race (Yeah I let the ranger know about that)
    2 Trantulas
    1 Rattlesnake
    1 Machete Girl
    1 Panicked Women (Rattlesnake)
    1 Hungry Baby
    2 Dogs
    1 Relieved Mom and Kids (Super Fit dad had planned an 8+ mile hike, I talked him out of it)
    and
    1 Young Man that Left me with a BIG smile on my face.

The Kid (16-17)... kid was riding a semi - new hard tail, and he just got some new gears, but it was not an expensive bike and it had a book rack on the back. He was flying up the hills when I saw him... had a mane of Rock Star hair like you wouldn't believe.

I saw him in the lot packing up, Complimented him on his speed. He was the nicest kid, polite, not entitled and just pure stoke on riding. Me the old guard volunteering, On The Single (which he knew what it was), my Bell was cool (who knew),.. It I was like I was some "Legend".

When the kid's mom came up in the Mini Van and he loaded up bike, it struck me. I took the bell off the bike and walked up and gave it to him. "Here I have buckets of them" ... Seriously the kid was genuinely appreciative, like I gave him a talisman. He just kept thanking me ... "Thank You.. Thank You..Your The Man".

Finally I just said... "Remember this... maybe someday you will be the volunteer" ... He Said "I will"... I think he meant it.

Life and Bikes are Ok.

IMG_20171119_123441.jpg

ricke24, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 16 others like this.
  20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @bvader please explain Machete Girl

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 6 others like this.
  21. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    was just thinking the same thing.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  22. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Sorry.. I give things short names..there was a fuller explanation in my volunteer write up

Girl had an expensive looking shorter ~12" sheathed machete. Pretty sure she was out to Harvest some Cactus or something she was very nice, polite, somewhat timid and appeared to not be up to no good.

I said "No weapons in the Park" she looked at me like she didn't know what I meant... Then I said "No harvesting plants either" she looked sheepish after that. Her and her friend turned around.

I was on the move ... That seemed like enough...

kioti, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  23. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I hit up a quick 16.5km loop at Bonelli today. Ventured from the usual loop I do there, and tried the "Park View" trail for the first time (well technically second, but last time I tried it was in the spring, and the trails were way to soaked so I bailed early). I was pretty impressed, it's a decent stretch of "wide" singletrack, some bits of tech thrown in, had to HAB a few spots where my legs fizzled on the climb, met someone going the opposite way, so maybe I was going backwards..... Cleaned the rocky descent by the airfield, specifically one section i always psyched myself out over, and typically put a foot down. I think that whole section changed quite a bit with all the rain last year, I used to have a pretty good line through it, but the last few times I didn't really see it. Headed the wrong way up a few climbs near the swimming area, definitely have to go back and loop it the other way next time.
    Bonelli is a pretty descent place to ride... I know it gets a lot of flak (San Gabriel Valley version of floop??), but there's a huge variety of ways to link trails and do loops in there. No super long sections, but I think it's a great place to practice skills. Some good short descents to practice with low risk for failure, some pretty tough climbs... definitely not a destination trail.. but if you are in the area ( I live 5 minutes away...) then not so bad. I constantly have to remind myself that it has some good options.

24. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    So this is what an $8K bike looks and rides like! Not mine. For good or bad, I can’t afford it! Haha! Was pretty impressed. Very good climber, the Fox 36 fork and 2.5 tires were pretty awesome. Still a bit overkill for most of our trails here in OC.79751CC8-0DE1-46CD-AB96-AF47C2D4E6EF.jpeg23E6FF71-EC89-48FE-8B56-E51D77540594.jpeg
    CF90CADF-7A91-4532-8539-42B8CED6DE25.jpeg

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Yesterday was lucky television giveaway day :) Today was quick out and back on Blackstar day.

I never realized, before today, that of the 5 or 6 times I have ridden Blackstar, I have never before ridden it on a weekend :eek: I am just getting over a bad cold, and I ran on Friday, so I was hoping for a nice relaxing ride that would allow me to sleep in a little later than normal. Parked at the Tree Farm at 7AM - an hour later than my usual Sunday morning rides. About four cars at the Tree Farm and I thought "good - so my car won't get broken in to" :) Got to the trail head and there were another four cars there - but they looked like hiker cars. On my way up to Beek's I passed two hikers and a trail runner. That was it.

Coming DOWN from Beek's was another story. About ten minutes below Beek's I encountered a couple bikers. Then a couple more. Then a mass. Then some runners. And more bikers. And pretty soon the bikers starting coming in a non-ending stream :) When I got down to the trailhead there were easily 50 cars parked there. Another 20 or so at the Tree Farm. I had no idea that there were so many people on Silverado Canyon on a weekend! Yikes!

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's a beautiful beast. Firebird, right? Yes, overkill for most trails that most people ride in the OC - or anywhere else for that matter. There are many trails where that bike would be perfect, but most people (fortunately) don't ride them.

Thanks for posting!

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My 65 yo brother Tom and I headed to Big Bear late this morning for an afternoon session on Skyline trail. My brother has spent most of his life in ski towns working whatever ski/bike/golf related job he could to maintain his addiction to living in the mountains and skiing/mt. biking. As such, he has a very narrow window of "tolerable" riding conditions. Temps have to be 70° or lower, no sustained direct sunlight, no humidity, no sustained climbing and lots of playful trail features (rocks, mostly). In other words, he is a more limited version of me. By comparison, I am a climbing fiend, ride a huge variety of trails and can ride in blistering heat (like 80°)! Oh, and my rides are death-march epics, by comparison. Still, I love his love of sport at his age. In fact, he completely denies age - it runs in our family.

I figured he would feel at home on Skyline with the pines, altitude, cool temps and enough playful little trail features to keep him entertained. Oh, and not much sustained climbing (we started from the bottom of Plantation). I was right. He loved it. And for once, didn't complain about climbing at all. In fact, he did pretty well. No complaints about temps (OK, we were both pretty cold drinking a beer in 40° temps when we finished). No bugs. We did about 14 miles and 1500' of climbing.

Dinner at El Jacalito after, then we went our separate ways. He back up to the Tahoe area (after being down here over a week) and me back home to start my Thanksgiving week off.

Bikes are fun. Mountains are fun. Singletrack trails in cool temps are fun. Trail features are fun. All is well(?). :thumbsup: :cool:

28. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Not today, but this past weekend. I recently picked up a Niner RLT gravel bike to mix up my riding a bit. It’s actually been a blast to ride. Headed up to Ojai this past weekend to do the Peloton Magazine Gravel Mob ride with a few buddies. The ride is basically a loop combining two climbs, Sulphur Mtn Road and Sisar Canyon. Reminded me a lot of the Santa Ana’s. We just opted for the Mini mob on Saturday which was just the Sulphur Mtn loop. To get our ride time in, we decided to do the Sisar climb Friday night when we rolled into town. It was a cool night ride. Friday was 16.4 miles and 3,087 feet, the Mini Mob on Saturday was 30 miles and 2,900. The full pull would have been 58 miles and 7,500 feet. Going to try and knock that one out next year.

View from Sisar Cyn Road

97AFE08E-B551-4E76-9ECE-4047C7A28D42.jpeg

At the start of the Sulphur Mtn climb
    01DEC67A-9AC9-48CB-90B0-006176E8D90D.jpeg

My buddy Andy rolling up the hill
    22026D2A-72F2-4BB1-A997-2B250FA1A3B3.jpeg
    Couple of pics rolling up the hill

EDC44DB2-2152-46F7-A8C9-0678D13AA56A.jpeg
    FFAD422D-3BE9-4572-B7D2-B751477310D1.jpeg

2D972C7C-2838-4B98-827A-E94AB86DFB0F.jpeg

29. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    @pperrelle climbing Sisar with gravel bike gearing sounds painful. Mad props to you.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    The wife and puppy convinced me to drive to Big Bear on Sunday to see the Grandparents. We left at 5am and arrived to a brisk 14° welcome. I know we have a 100° Club so I decided to start The Freezing My Arse Club. Last year I rode in the upper 20's in Sun Valley so this would make two silly years in a row.

It crept up to a balmy 21° and I went for it. I did the Fern, Skyline, Plantation loop and only saw one other rider. My winter riding gear worked like a charm and I was never hot or cold. Very glad I had my beanie.

Finally used that bench...super quiet and all for me to enjoy.

2.jpg

No snow up on the trail, but I found this little ice trap while exploring

1.jpg

The Snow Summit parking lot when the lifts are closed. Most of the vehicles appeared to be construction workers.

4.jpg