I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Thank you! This is very helpful. Sounds indeed better than the trail we did :).

How is Mentally Sensitive? Is that harder than Oaks? On our to do list too.

MattB, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, I was in Fullerton today.. but didn't have my bike. Dang it!

So I came home and did an STT/Luge loop and it was pretty fun! I've been feeling a little better each ride, and this was like Ride #5 after a 5 month layoff for my injured shoulder. I guess my body's starting to remember what to do, or at least what I want it to do. Smacked a pedal prepping for that little climb 2/3's of the way down the Luge, and bogged down on the last climb at the very bottom of the trail. Baby steps, right?

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Glad you are getting out to ride and enjoy your lasting work on The Luge. I enjoyed the fruits of your labor on Meadows today. Thank you. :thumbsup::)

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Mentally is steep and loose, but I do not recall it having many rocky areas or any drops. I do recall one off-camber rock section that was challenging. I haven't ridden it in a couple of years, because I didn't find it to be that fun. Meadows is in the same vicinity, and although not techy, it is probably the best flow trail in the County. Hard for me to pass that up to sketch my way through the ruts of Mentally Sensitive. I intend to give Mentally another try soon. Perhaps it has changed a little, or my riding tastes have changed.

MattB, Cougar, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I've been down 5 Oaks once....but it seemed like a fast flowy trail with some drops, but not all that technical.

Mentally Sensitive is slower and more technical. However I don't think it was that bad. Like @herzalot said, it is usually pretty loose. I think most capable riders can pick their way down.

MattB, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I slept in this morning and decided to head out later this afternoon.

Had aspirations of doing a bigger ride into the night, but settled on just heading over to the Oaks.

Started off well as I cleaned the steep and steppy climb at the Mabury entrance...it has been a while since this has happened. Headed up Oak and the legs were feeling pretty good. Again, it has been a while since they felt like this. Up to the top of Oak, the plan was to go out to Weir Canyon. Dropped down Deer, passed a guy walking his bike...even with a 50t pizza plate on it. Out into Weir Cyn I spotted a few riders up ahead, so I chased the rabbits. Caught them, turned out it was a friend of mine. Rode with them for a little bit....checked out a trail I hadn't been on. Did a few more loops out there before heading back in.

Climbed back up Deer to Barham. Dropped down Barham and Chutes right at dark. Made it home well after dark.

Legs felt great all day....actually they felt great all weekend.

27 miles / 3600' and lots of smiles.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1200494775

MattB, Grego, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Id say 5 oaks is more fun n dangerous bc of the speed n flow while mentally is a ski slalom straight downhill of rutted dust..much rather go down meadows which is parallel to mentally...
    Of course u will try it once bc its there..
    N do it agaun until u ride ms wo walkin but after that...meadows...

8. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    For me (and I am not in the same experience league as @herzalot) 5-O was much better in spring and yes gets better with a few runs, The cool jumps near the top are fun, like the culvert done right its air plus smooth landing, but there are a few places you can hurt yourselves the pavers etc, and some funky little groves you need to keep out of.. and yeah they're really not braking bumps any more its braking holes.

Also I agree, I can't pass up meadows tooo much fun, There is a nice little root jump about 30 secs in and then of course it work on your turns time.... turn that head, hips and get leaned over :)

Oh me today?... I took a lazy 25 mile ride along beautiful HB.. man what a nice day.. nice temps and cool breeze.

Yesterday I had some fun with Lizards, TnA and Ole Emerald. Getting a bit of a groove going on TnA... Funny the top (loose and dusty) is giving more trouble than the chunk at the bottom.

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3
    Arrived a JPL parking lot this morning at just after 8am. Hmmm, was that @rossage' white "free candy" van I parked next to??? :cautious::eek::D

Rode well, felt good, needed no break stops between the start to the lower saddle and then to the upper saddle at KB trail head. Did a 180 at the trail head and headed back down. Turned left at the lower saddle junction and headed for El Prieto ST. Except for two or three hikers at the lower area, El P was wide open as was the climb up and the roll back down from Brown Mtn beforehand.

13.51 miles
    1936' of upness
    1005 calories

IMG_2518.JPG

SIDE NOTE: My TJ was still filthy from the ride through El P last week so I waited until I went through there again this morning before I bathed her. She's all shiny now.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was up at the KB trailhead at 8am. Left the parking lot at 850am. Next time, don't park so close. It cramps my style.

Interesting that I saw the sunrise 3 times this morning.
    First on the way to the trailhead.
    Second, about two miles up, over an eastern slope of Mt Lowe.
    And C, at the KB trailhead, the sun rose over Brown Mtn and chased the last shadows of the morning under my feet.
    The sounds of the forest and the wind contrasting sharply with the monotonous drone of the mega-city below.

Did the ride rigid and without a dropper. Must say I miss the dropper more than the suspension fork...I did get to give my Salsa seatpost qr a workout, so I got that going for me...

11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3
    But, but, it was the only space left in the parking lot. :p

Faust29, Cyclotourist and rossage like this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The spot you were in was occupied this morning by a woman sleeping in her car. Being greeted by used condoms and discarded blunt wrappers is all too common in that lot. Nasty!

13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3
    A "dual purpose" parking lot?! :eek:

Grego and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I rode at snow summit for the first time this year with one of my best buds from college. I had a great time and started to get comfortable jumping the hightower towards the end of the day. I had a small washout crash and scraped my arm pretty good. All in all, epic day.

DSC_000002.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_000001-1.JPG

15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    El moro run today..off from work.. most of the park by myself...some hikers up willow... a big group at rattlesnake..very nice but i saw them in the middle of my run... oh well..said hello n stopped for them.. about 10 on monday!
    Such an awesome day to ride..clear not too warm..
    A little dusty out there
    Broken spoke ..only noticed it at the end..
    Better than the floop!

bvader, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  16. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    When riding I was admitted into the @rock.pile.movement by finding this lil motivational gem.

IMG_20170920_180321_858.jpg

20170920_165630.jpg

17. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Is the slipping trail behind the houses a legal trail? Looking to ride 5-O and B-Drop someday. Never been.

dustyyoungblood and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Nope. Signage is very clear that it is trespassing. Go through the neighborhood - quietly.

I've not done B-Drop. Probably too manly for me. I know someone who got really, really messed up on that finishing drop, and I hear it's not easy to portage.

bvader, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Wait - you're friends with Greg Minnaar?

Or is that you with the hair?

Faust29 likes this.
  20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Probably last after- work ride of the "season" today with @tbarnesarc. Quick water tank-tna loop, both had a great run down; taylor dialing in his newish coil shock. Saw the smoke cloud from the canyon fire looming on the horizon as we were climbing...yikes

bvader, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  21. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Snow Summit #9 this season (yesterday). Vince wanted to go and meet a friend. Turns out his friend never showed. Vince was bummed and took off by himself. OK fine, he's a big boy now. The lift lines were long, only one lift running. I got 4 runs in hitting everything I wanted to for the day then I was going to venture outside the park. While in line here comes Vince walking down MM. Flat tire. I gave him my bike while I made the repair. After his run on my bike he says boy does my bike suck! No brakes, doesn't shift, doesn't roll and rigid oh my. Proof I need a new bike for SS? Probably not. Did a couple more runs then split. the trails seemed empty since everyone was stuck in line. Still a good time at the park. Only 4 more weekends.

bvader, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I believe I saw you two hooligans in Laguna Canyon as I was driving home - around 6:40? Although not sure why you would have been on the Aliso side of the road.

tbarnesarc likes this.
  23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    yah that was us. we always cross to the other side. more room ove rthere.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I waved at you out my window! Why didn't you throw rocks at my car or at least wave back? Snobs!

tbarnesarc and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    we're to cool for that

26. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I did have a wierd feeling some some creepy dude was following us in the dark

bvader, MrGreedom, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Bronson CC v3
    Yeah! What Gary said @herzalot :whistling:;)

Runs with Scissors and herzalot like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    And miss the gap jump at the day labor pick-up lot?

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Where's your video, Taylor? I saw the GoPro on your noggin - Get on it!

30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The route off the sidewalk through the grass and up the face to the water tower should be the price of admission to 5-Oaks.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?