I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Thursday Blackstar Social.

@Faust29 and I fell behind early....before we even reached the gate. @horsebikerider was out in front of us. The shifty bits dangling from Steve's bike were all outta whack. Tried to adjust the H/L Limits. Found out that the Crank Bros. Multi-17 doesn't fit inside the SRAM GX RD. Got it set up well enough to continue on. Caught up to Suz just after the turn out of the lower canyon. Casual pace the rest of the way up.

Temps kept getting cooler on the way up. Reached the top and didn't hang out long. First ride this season I had to put the jacket on. :gag::cry::thumbsdown::bang:

Apparently tonight was the night for pushing for a DH PR. I got spit out the back....but was able to catch back up on the climbs. Then was able to stay out front down into the canyon. Got out just before actual dark.

Good times.

IMG_3006.JPG

2. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    20170921_183655_resized.jpg The usual P-12 trails. Clouds and sunset were awesome. Solo with some good (for me) Strava times. The Primer can rip.

3. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Is that a calzone?

4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Rode my bike to work, then rode it from work for our Thursday night ride. Something I haven't done before, but decided to try it since the wife said she would be home early enough to feed the horses lunch. Saved gas too!

Lots of miles, lots of discomfort, and lots of burro's! Also got to watch @LLPoolJ crash while not even on his bike!

KIMG0027.jpg

KIMG0028.jpg

KIMG0029.jpg

KIMG0031.jpg

5. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    13mi 1701'

Left my office at 6:40am and leisurely pedaled up to WR. I was kind of pissed because I planned to be at the STT gate at sunrise and make a go at old camp and be into work, showers, dress by 9:00am. But I slept in. Whatever.

Entering WR i made it to the long sand trap and began walking through it. Noticing definitive Mountain lion tracks in the sand, paralleling deer tracks. Must have been an exciting night.

Soon joined by 2 seperate group of 5 or more riders up mustard. Busy morning. Fresh horse droppings on mustard made me think the equestrians must have gotten an early start.

I was greeted with tacky damp dirt on cactus, sweet PR time shifting and pedaling!!!!! Wait, what's that??? Fresh horse tracks on cactus? Is it?? Slowing down, down, down, coasting. My bell is ringing but soon I hear "hello, slow down". 2 equestrians on cactus in the left hand hairpin. Wow glad I was cautious that would have been a disaster if I was railing it.

Up vulture view for extra '/mi
    Riders merging at VV/sage scrub look out!!!
    Then surprise, 3 deer on sleepy hollow. Locking up the brakes, mama deer is not moving off trail until her babies are clear. She finally jumps clear and I'm rolling again.

The ride continued passing oblivious hikers.

Soon I reach live oak and flow through it , turn onto the fire road, gaining speed, loose right hander approaching. WTF!!! Group of 10 milfs(or cougars) working out or running spread out all across the trail jumping for cover as my bell has startled them. I lock up the brakes again then coast through the group all in designer yoga wear smiling and saying good morning and getting smiles back as only one is trying to get her breath back after nearly having a heart attack.

What an odd morning. Sticking to STT or Aliso for weekday early AM.

IMG_8045.JPG

6. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Its a Supergreek from Pita Pit:D. Between that, the thin air, and a lousy night's sleep...I was ready to take a nap on trailo_O. Lol...I was so tired. I actually thought about riding back to the gondola and taking it back down:rolleyes:.

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
  8. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Super convenient that southern California looks just like Greece.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, RS VR6 and 5 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I cannot respond to that without insulting the motherland.

10. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My wife was there in her formative years and always calls it home (Nea Makri). I stopped into Crete for a day or two in 2005. I need to see if I still have my photos, I think they survived...

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
  12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Rode STT out to the high point before the drop to the Luge. Turned around and hit some of those berms and a jump on the way back to Modjeska. Couldn't shake the feeling that @Faust29 or @mtnbikej was going to come flying past me, since they're the only other guys who like the STT in that direction. ;)

Mikie, dustyyoungblood, mike and 9 others like this.
  13. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Marshall Webb loop. Nice jumps . Used all the travel. Strawberry tomorrow.

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Had some stuff to deal with around the house today and maybe a visit with the inlaws for later today so no big epics for me. Weather is perfect though so Rusty & I grabbed moms bike and headed up the canyon behind the house like we do all the time. The extent of our supplies was a water bottle for each of us. Things were going great till we got about 4 miles from home and I felt that same wallowy rear end feeling I had experienced a couple times earlier in the week. WTF another flat tire, this is like the 4th time this week. I haven’t had 4 flats in the last 4 years. Well no supplies to fix it and no phone range so time to start walking. Turns out walking is more work than it looks like so once we got phone signal I made the dreaded call home for a ride.

The trusty ol truck to the rescue. Tried blaming it on Rusty going bushwhacking but the wifey wasn’t buying any of my excuses.
    IMG_6482.jpg

Rusty saying “what’s wrong with the bike dad?”

IMG_6490.jpg

To add insult to injury Rusty grabbed shotgun for the ride home and I had to ride in the back seat.
    IMG_6492.jpg

15. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    That's two trusty partners ya got there. Nice!!!!! :thumbsup:

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Couple little runs at my local hill, with a borrowed rear wheel. Click here for some thoughts on the wheel, tire, brakes...

Not very crowded, except I caught up to a group of 30 mtb-ers at the top of Cholla. Yes, 30 - in an urban park on a Saturday morning. What a GREAT way to make all other trail users hate us even more. :mad: Can you imagine being on your nice little hike and then having to wait for 30 riders to go by? Ridiculous! But I was not assertive enough to find the ride leader and tell him/her my thoughts on the matter. Booo me! :oops:

Other than that, the bike was flawless, no crashes and my recently-injured toe felt fine. Sunny, high of 70°... 9 miles, 1500' (keeping that ratio high).

Bikes are fun! :thumbsup::cool:

17. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Short little ride in the Oaks today. I cannot remember the last time i felt even a bit chilly at the start of riding in the Oaks...nice for a change for sure.

Via the horse poo single tracks to the Chutes, then down Cactus (super good shape; i guess the cheater line towards the start has become permanent feature..), up Coachwhip, down Deer (super fun), bit of an out and back towards the Weir loop, then back via Anaheim hills (the sand put me off on that one rocky climb, which was lame, it wasnt that hard), Barham Ridge, Chutes, horse trails, back. Fun! Bit short but better than nothing.

The Oaks is a bit sandier and looser than i normally experience (i go there i guess 10-12 times per year), which made some of the descents and ascents a bit more slippery. Who cares, it was fun.

That grading of Barham blows btw. Still a fun fireroad

Mikie, konakc, Tom the Bomb and 10 others like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Santiago Truck Trail to The Luge. Short and sweet with Nate. Third ride this week! :)

19. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    A little early but,
    It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

pmnbyctxr.jpg

20. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    That is a GIANT pumpkin!

Mikie, mike, Grego and 1 other person like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    No different than the group of 30-40 hikers that begin their assault on the parks.

22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Gonna hurt for a bit. Bruised hip.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Also got to watch @LLPoolJ crash while not even on his bike!

Damn, bro, heal strong.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I rode with my friend Gene who is dialing in his brand new HD3. It was his second ride on it. 3 climbs, 3 descents - not in that order. 16 mi. 2200'. Sunny, but not hot. Very pleasant. I sweat more when it's 65° and cloudy. LOTS of park users today, but we did not encounter any large groups.

Gene LOVES the bike - who wouldn't? Fox 36 Factory on the front - good stuff throughout.

That is all. Bikes are fun!!! :thumbsup: :cool:

Oh - and Gene has an interesting job. Saw these credits roll this morning on NBC...

Choo Credits.JPG

Mikie, MattB, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  25. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    There is hope... rocks might reemerge after the winter rains... on barham ridge

26. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    First time down 5 Oaks ever today. My wife and I took our time. Walked a bit here and there. Steep and quite loose!! I suppose it gets better the second time o_O.

How do people normally get there? The single track with the closed sign pointed at your face :whistling: or via the neighboorhood(s) with gates?

From the top the trail looks pretty cool, like a downhill trail at a ski area

Made a PR up Cholla. Switchback single track climbs are my favorite. It even beats descending ha.

Rock it was in awesome shape. Even avoided some of the cheater line on the right hand side

Park was quite busy but people were always nice and friendly. Lots of greeting and some small talk here and there.

Mikie, MattB, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  27. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oaks ride yesterday... so many trails.. just not enough time.. nice n cool..clear
    Just a perfect day for ride w good buddies..
    Need to do an all of oaks day again soon...

Mikie, Faust29, SingleTrackJB and 3 others like this.
  28. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Wow u ride 5 oaks w ur wife? Thats awesome..
    I usually go upto canyon vistas park n then right n right thru the neighborhood..
    Steep but on pavemwnt mostly

29. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Rode Loch Leven to the Post Office then a PO Loop and back down LL, 20mi and 3000'. Nice weather and only a few riders. The PO Loop seems to have a lot more soft/washed out areas than I remember, had to do a few HAB's. Forgot my phone so no pictures. Helped a guy fix a flat, I am still amazed at how many people are unprepared for mechanicals on the trail. Fun day on the bike!

Mikie, Faust29, kioti and 5 others like this.
  30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yup. The Sunday Group FLoop. But I added on the Panorama Loop for a grand total of 16 miles and 1,340 feet of gain. Bikes are fun!!

That got me to a week's total climbing of just over 1 J-unit. (10,000 feet). :cool::Roflmao

Mikie, Redman, Faust29 and 4 others like this.