I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Always fun to ride with you vicariously. Love the shots into the sun, and the occasional self talk "What are you doing over here?" and "Credible...accountable..."

Gotta get Gary @sir crashalot to do the up and over line on the little Rock-It climb. :thumbsup:

2. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    [QUOTE="herzalot, post: 94920, member: ]

Gotta get Gary @sir crashalot to do the up and over line on the little Rock-It climb. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I've never quite figured that one out. I don't think I care enough.

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I haven't ridden since Thursday... The poison oak and ear infection took their toll. :sick:

I went out today, and felt OK in the beginning. Made it up Live Oak to Vista, and decided to jump over to Whiting. Played roadie and entered the park at the equestrian center. Up Vulture, and down Sage Scrub and Sleepy Hollow. Not a soul around, and the temps were in the 70s. :thumbsup: Then I got the bright idea to go up Whiting Ranch Road to Four Corners and Mark's bench. Hmmmm... Two stops to get to the top and the legs started to feel like Jello. :thumbsdown: Down Cactus, following two teenagers who were having a riot and back up Santiago Ranch to Vulture for another run down Sage Scrub and Sleepy Hollow. The kids gave the old man props for cleaning the climb up that they walked... :thumbsup:

Down Serrano and Live Oak, and Out to Glenn Ranch... Up Live Oak in O'Neill, where the temp went from 70s to low 90s at the top. :gag: Down the Vista DH and back home along the top of the mesa. :thumbsup:

22 miles and 3300 feet...

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Went out for me normal Tuesday afternoon spin. I bled the brake on my lazy bike.....er, Tallboy so I took it.

It was very warm and sticky going up Oak. Had too much pressure in the front tire going down Yucca. Saw a throttle driven ebike on Oak, and a someone riding a dirtbike out there.

Lot so people out. Lots of the trails are soft right now from the recent trail work. Park is also installing split rail fencing all over the place.

All in all a good ride today.

23 miles / 2700'

mike, Tom the Bomb, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Took the Crusier for some laps at OTH before the race. Halfway through I got a flat. Had a tube and a pump but forgot the rear wheel needs a 9/16" wrench. Walk of shame over a mile back to the truck. Fixed and returned for another lap. Then found some friends to hang out with. We cheered on the real racers while we cranked some tunes and consumed beverages.

T7TOCK85nFvo7EtuGYf_pFLB6dis5bv4QzNl1HEzbno-2048x1536.jpg

SingleTrackJB, mike, Danimal and 14 others like this.
  6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Climbing Exploration trail, 1200+ ft over 3.5 miles, then descending it shortly after... my kind of Enduro. That was some grade A singletrack.

mike, Danimal, DangerDirtyD and 9 others like this.
  7. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    We need to get you into a modern XC race. Race your Yeti at the Southridge Winter Series :)

mike, Faust29, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  8. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    after an avalanche of delays, I made it up to Angeles Oaks late morning and rode SART Tuesday.
    Great weather - warm, but a nice breeze and intermittent monsoon cloud cover.
    Aside from one very large berry laden bear poop, I literally had the trail all to myself. It's been probably 10 years since I last rode it - man what a mistake. Such a great trail. Found a little poodle dog at one spot.
    Aside from really sucky flies, a near perfect day. I'm going back soon. (After hitting REI for a bug net):thumbsup:

SingleTrackJB, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  9. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    $1.88 at Walmart!

10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Very entertaining! Now the real question. Would you climb it again?

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Sure. Without hesitation. I actually want redemption. ;D

mike, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  12. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Great Vid Dan, one of my favorite trails. Thanks for posting. I have never cleared the little climb at 21:20, or the left switchback at 22:50. I climbed the full trail once, alone, lots of breaks, taking lots of pictures, in no hurry. I'd do that again. (I know you didn't ask me @tom, but there you have it)

Varaxis, mike, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  13. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    @Sidewalk
    That was you in Dan's video. Why would anyone ride a CX bike down exploration trail? Are some kind of moron?

mike, SnakeCharmer and Faust29 like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Uh, duh?

It was fun, until the pinch flat in a rock garden. Just had to be creative about my lines.

Made SART from Glass to Middle Control look easy.

mike, Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Bragging rights!

mike, Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I need to do exploration trail

mike, Tom the Bomb and SnakeCharmer like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I will be up there soon, can't wait!

mike and Tom the Bomb like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Did a lovely Cherry loop-d-loop tour this evening.

10.38 miles
    1:09:20 moving time
    1312' elevation gain
    748 calories

IMG_1742.JPG

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Decided to mix it up tonight and headed to Whiting. Rolled from the parking lot with the intentions of doing a double loop. Ended up in a conga line going up Borrego. Got around going up Cattle Pond. Lost my legs about 1/3rd the way up Mustard. It was hot and humid. Up to Mark's Bench....on the way back down decided to take the extra credit and drop Water Tower all the way down to the neighborhood and back up to Mark's Bench again. Down Cactus and up Saddleback Ranch.....across Vulture and down Sage. Got behind a slow rider going down Serrano Cow. Down Live Oak.....I cancelled the plans for the 2nd loop. Instead I headed back up Line Shack, then up Whiting Rd. Staring up into the sun....couldn't see anything the whole way up. Back at 4 Corners, dropped down Cactus again, then down Sleepy Hollow, Serrano Cow and Live Oak before calling it a night. Park was packed. Temps stayed warm and humid the whole time. Felt sketchy on the DH's tonight....felt like the front tire was all over the place. Still a good time on the bike.

15 miles / 2400'

20. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Yes me too! I actually enjoy the techy climbs. To Knuckleduster, I have cleaned the 1st switchback a few times including the ride last week, and cleaned the tight left hander you referenced for the first time last week! Its so fun to conquer the little challenges! Ride it Baby! Going back out there this weekend.

Varaxis, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nooooooo!!!!! That fine mesh is terrible for biking. We don't have no-see-ems, sweat gets hopelessly stuck in them, and it is otherwise hard to see through. I found one and tried it once...now strictly a loaner for people I don't like. :sneaky: If a biker can't afford ten bucks for a decent head net, said biker should become a boulderer! :p:eek::)

https://www.rei.com/product/780999/sea-to-summit-head-net

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Excellent detective work @mike , thanks! REI offers that brand cheaper than ebay! Does REI stock them in their retail stores?

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I've gotten every one I have at the Tustin store. I think most stores stock them, but you could call ahead to save a trip :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode... Black Star Social. And Hell froze over.

IMG_0583.jpg

In all the miles we've ridden, this is the first time I've seen him with gears and full suspension.

LLPoolJ, herzalot, jaime and 8 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    And maybe the last time.....I'm about 95% sure I am done with the geared bike.

It's true....I rode the bike with the shifty bits and the squishy bits at Blackstar. I realized it takes way too long to ride up in the easy gears. I stick to the one speed bike.
    Hot and humid at the start, the hotter and humid at the start of the climb, before it cooled down nicely up towards the top with the breeze. Can't say the DH was any faster. Yeah, the TB was too much bike for Blackstar.

Still a fun day on the bike.

herzalot, Voodoo Tom, jaime and 7 others like this.
  26. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    HB has them. Bought one and got a second for sharing with some dividend dollars on Wednesday.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I say, frame it.

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Maybe a FS SS is in your future?

Faust29 likes this.
  29. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    No pics 'cuz it was a wind down ride for the week. Short spin/walk up Puma then met up with Mrs. MtnbikeJ and Missy for a cruise back to the concert in the park. Greg made a quick up and down and met us back for a beer and the band. I've enjoyed the OC Concerts in our local park.
    BTW Stella Artois Apple Cider gets my vote for post ride refreshments.

30. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    New office is about a 10 minute drive to the luge. Did a quick lap around whiting and the luge. Big tires are wearing me out on the climbs but so much fun heading down.

IMG_0298.JPG

Mikie, doublewide, herzalot and 13 others like this.