I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    This was actually yesterday. Had a work lunch at the Spectrum so I tossed the bike in the truck and figured I'd hit El Moro or Aliso to beat the heat. Well, I was wrong. It was toasty at the Spectrum so I went down to Aliso thinking it would be cooler. I should have known it wasn't a good idea when I only saw one other car in the lot. A tree branch fell and blocked the trail after I went through. I came around the bend on the way out and all of the sudden there was no trail. Lol. Garmin showed 93 as a high. 11.2 miles, 1,010 feet.

IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG

2. pperrelle

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Did my usual Friday morning coffee ride at Whiting. It was nice to ride in cool temps after riding in the afternoon the last three days. 9.4 miles, 1,375 feet with coffee and a bagel afterwards. Got some cool pics above the cloud cover on the way to Mark's bench. Forgot to mention that we got passed going up Mustard by two E-bikes. The funny part is that when we got to the top to head up to the bench, they were both sitting on the covered bench resting. :bang:

IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0269.JPG

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Regular Thursday night Sycamore group ride. A few punched cactus, one exploded his front wheel at high speed, ran into a group of ebikes, and I got hit by a car.

Overall good ride!

Cisco Roots, Varaxis, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Riding and fishing report:

Im up in SLO Town for the weekend. Much cooler but still warm mid day. Rode the new M Trail on Cerro San Luis for my first stop. Went OTB and down the hillside a few feet on one of the rollers. Oops. Brushed the dirt off and finished up by descending Lemon Trail. Did the short drive over to Irish Hills and did King to Froom connector, up Froom to Poppy to Mariposa to Mine, rejoined Mariposa and di the tech drop which is always gnarly. Pedaled back via pavement and headed for home base. Dropped off the bike, picked up the tackle and headed for Morro Bay to catch eels and rockfish.

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Did the Poly Canyon loop with my cousin today. Basically an 8 mile fire road ride but I branched off and hit a section of exposed ST along the way.

IMG_1691.JPG

6. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike Belda
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Went out to Aliso today. Kind of breezy and nice. Up Cholla, across to TOW, down Meadows, up Mathis, down Car Wreck and out. CW is a beast. It's very humbling to have to get off your bike and walk a downhill section. Almost embarrassing. I just don't think I'll ever be able to bomb that thing from top to bottom. And for those of us that do, ultimate respect. MTBing is a discipline like skiing, surfing, martial arts. There are levels to achieve that others who don't participate in the sport will never understand. Just gotta keep on riding I suppose.......

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Took Maddog up on the Wrightwood invite. Got there around 8am he pulled in a few minutes later, we waited for Bernie seems he didn't know boutique the road closure on the 2, drove all that way to get turned less than 10 miles from the everyday the trailhead. So off we went up the road to Leprechaun, dropped it with a smile brushed some nettle on the way down ouch! Then climbed through the camp back to Jackson. Took the lift up to Inspiration Point the climbed the road to the top of Blue Ridge, then dropped it 1st time for me. Several hikers but they were friendly. We then climbed up through the ski resort up to Deer trail. Dropped it to Boyscout. What great place to ride bikes. Thanks for the tour Maddog and very nice meeting you. I can now start making my own epic routes in the area now.

8. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I shuttled @Varaxis up to Snow Summit for the enduro today. My XC bike is all cleaned up and ready to race, my trail bike is still broken, so I rode the XC course on the CX.

THEN we finished the day climbing up, then descending back down Exploration trail. Pinched flat on the front wheel of the CX in a rock garden which ruined my (non) PR run, but oh well. Good day.

9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for helping Dan out. Good on ya

Varaxis, mike and SnakeCharmer like this.
  10. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Trying to pay off my bad karma debt.

It was a fun day. Stupid bikes.

11. pperrelle

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Early morning Aliso ride to beat the heat. Even though it was early, the trail to TOTW was packed. Cholla, Rock-it, Mathis, TOTW & Meadows. 13.9 miles, 1,637 feet. Fun day on the bike. It was warming up quickly. There were some girls from Essentia water at TOTW handing out free bottles of water. That was very welcomed.

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

Grego, Cisco Roots, herzalot and 10 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I hope these weren't the "girls." :Roflmao

kioti, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  13. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Had a great ride with Slomosapian yesterday near Wrightwood. As he already stated we started at Jackson Lake and did Leprechaun first as suggested by @scottay. It was great riding that twisty trail early in the ride. It was cool and slightly more tolerable on the nasty climb after the fun part! Great idea! Since it was just the 2 of us I got to thinking a little (a rare occurrence :geek:) on that horrible climb. I thought "Slo-mo has a truck, and I have a truck. He has never done Blue Ridge Trail, so let's do a little impromptu shuttle and add Blue Ridge to the ride!" Being an enlightened, open-minded mountain biker, Slo-mo quickly agreed :thumbsup:
    So we loaded bikes into his truck and drove up to Inspiration Point! Rode the bikes up 3 miles so as not to eliminate all climbing (plus the road from there is basically abandoned and very rough) to the campground and dropped down Blue Ridge. About a dozen hikers coming up the trail in about 3 groups but there were mostly bunched towards the last 1/3 of the trail so we had some good flow.
    Then more climbing through Mt. High West where one thing was proven, I can out slow Slomosapian anytime:p! I set new standards in slowness so Slo-mo was no match! He was very considerate in hanging back with me on previous climbs so when he told me that he races and actually passed on a race to ride with me, I released him to ride on ahead back to Inspiration point. Dude is not slow! We had a quick rest stop at IP along with a few Harley dudes and a 20 something, Modelo drinking couple who couldn't wait until sundown to start making out on the other bench:rolleyes: and then ventured on to Deer Trail and Boy Scout.
    It was a great ride and Slo-mo was a blast to ride with!

Mikie, Luis, scottay and 15 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    HAHAHA!!!!!

Mikie and mike like this.
  15. pperrelle

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Lol, nope. I thought about taking a pic of the water girls before we headed out but ended up thinking that might have been a little creepy. :whistling:

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    You know if they just "happen " to be in the way of your coastal shot that's not your fault. :whistling::sneaky::)

And to stay on topic, I ride my bike today. As expected it was a blast.

Faust29, Mikie, Grego and 5 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode today. The wife wants to start riding regularly, and I can't possibly say no to that. :inlove:

We went down to Newport/Costa Mesa (I never know which it is) to the south end of the Mountain to Sea Trail, and rode up to Jamboree/Portola; over to the bike path, and back down to the start. 23.2 miles and ~500 feet of elevation gain. Good times!!

Faust29, Mikie, Grego and 10 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sycamore Canyon with Jennifer. Nice easy spin up Overlook and down Guad then up the canyon and down Sin Nombre and Two Foxes and back to the beach. The plan was to lay out at the beach after we finished but it was still fogged in. Temps were great for the ride though. Love riding with the Mrs.

P.S. I hit a fallen tree at the bottom of Guad and racked my nuts and opened up a scrape from a few weeks ago. Picture of deez nutz furnished upon request. :D:Roflmao:gag:20170723_121824-1944x1458.jpg 20170723_103712-1512x2016.jpg 20170723_125635-2268x3024.jpg IMG_20170723_163451_260.jpg

Faust29, Mikie, Grego and 13 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @UPSed sorry to hear about the mishap. I have bruises forming as we speak up and down both legs and even on my left foot from my spill on Friday. :mad:

I vote to post the busted nuts pic! ;)

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Cranks and Cranks, Kenda Cup #7 (final).

I lost

Faust29, Mikie, LLPoolJ and 5 others like this.
  21. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I enjoyed Exploration trail more than any of the Enduro stages. I was expecting you to ride that CX bike just as well as an average person riding a real MTB, and you lived up to that expectation. I'm still laughing, recalling you riding down that steep slope on the side of the road. It reminded me of my childhood, as kids daring each other to ride down similar hills on their bikes.

I felt like my riding was a disaster, doing half a dozen low speed endos, going off the trail more times than I can keep count of, and feeling like I burned through an entire set of brake pads, since I struggled with switchbacks and loose corners (the primary cause of the endos and off-trail issues). I did improve quickly though.

22. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    In Mammoth and it is great as ever. Some new trails opened up, but amazingly still some skiing going on. Off the Top is partially open, basically have to take Kamikaze down (loose).

IMG_0111.JPG

23. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    Haven't been on here lately but hope everyone has been enjoying their sessions. Here's a short vid from @sir crashalot and I's usual Monday night ride. It should give you a good chuckle or two. :sneaky: PS 10lbs lost in the last few months. :cool:

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    With the warm and humid weather expected today....I chose to sleep in and ride this afternoon. So I did.

Rolled out about 4:45 and it was a warm 82* but sticky. Mixed up my Oaks ride by starting off with the climb of our local Pain Divide. Temps would max out about 86*...but a nice breeze was blowing. Headed out to Weir Canyon....in the shade it was soooo nice. In the late afternoons it is like someone turned on the A/C.
    IMG_2896.JPG

Sierra Peak, Doplar Ball and Hagador Peak in the background....
    IMG_2892.JPG

Wanted to go out Weir Canyon and over to Deer Canyon Preserve but it was getting late and wasn't sure I'd have enough time. Finished my Weir Canyon Loop and headed home. I registered 64* on the way home.

On a "that is so cool" note....on the way home, crossing the street at the stop light, a large bobcat ran across the road about 30' away.

Fun solo outing.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Not only creepy, but you may have been ticketed for doing a photo shoot without a license! :eek: :confused:

kioti, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    You did not lose, 5th place at your level happens to be good. Most of us dream of a finish like that. 4th place in the Kenda series is nothing to sneeze at either.

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Interesting perspective. I realize in some ways 2nd place is first loser, but I think that viewpoint is ridiculous - especially when there are hundreds of riders/competitors in an event. I imagine you did quite well.

mike, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My 65 yo brother (from Tahoe) was in town - so we did a short Aliso ride. Not hot, but humid and still this morning. Cheater Cholla, Rock-It, Coyote out and back, real Cholla, Lynx. 964' for me (I went back to collect him a couple of times). That was about all he could manage today, as Tom has a low tolerance for heat and/or humidity. I had a great time, and I think my bro did too.

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Did 4 passes on the Verdugo Catalina Trail this evening. Sweaty humid out but cooler today due to the clouds. It even rained for a few mins here earlier today.

7.55 miles
    57:26 moving time
    906' elevation gain
    515 calories

IMG_1721.JPG

30. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Glad you enjoyed Exploration, it is definitely a fun one!

You raced against some of the best around, very high standard to compare to. But now you know, and if you didn't go you would be left wondering and wish you went.

Riding bikes like you're still a kid is the best way to ride :)

Don't get me wrong, I with hard for these races and I am overwhelmingly happy with myself. But I also don't like to take away from the people who beat me. I wish I could keep up better to challenge them, but also genuinely happy for them.

FYI, Ben Goyette will be streaming the video with commentary NEXT Thursday (not this Thursday as usual), and it should be pretty good!
    One guy DNF'ed with a flat, another broke a derailleur. That's not how I like to win.