I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Probably can't spare the time away from home this weekend - but a small maybe.

mike and Mikie like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Cathy and I rode our bikes tonight. I felt particularly saucy for whatever reason. We climbed Frazier Mountain. I climbed up to the radar towers, then dropped back down to Cathy we climbed to the tower turn off together. We rode past sunset and descended to a brilliant orange sky with a blue mountain skyline, a full moon, and no lights. Loved it! The temps were perfect. Got back to the truck just as it was dark. These are the nights that make you feel alive. Bikes are fun, Cathy is awesome, good times...
    frazier.mtn.KOM.PNG

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    26er is KOM! Suck it you upgraders!

Faust29, Cornholio, mike and 3 others like this.
  4. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Small 12.5 mile ride, 2300 ft climb, yesterday evening, El Moro once again! Climbed to Ridge Park, then Lizard, Old Emerald, Fenceline, then back home.

Going down the road is still a lot more dangerous than going down any rocky trail it seems... some dudes (they always seem to be dudes) going i think 90-100 mph in their cars on Newport Coast road. Dumb!

Trails were in awesome condition and Emerald Canyob was as pretty as usual (i love it that you cant see houses, cars, etc from there).

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Deja vu for me, spun around Oaks this morning and finished in Irvine Park. I need to get the Minion 2.5 off the back of my bike, it was fun at Summit but just too much to pedal. My bike sounds like a lifted truck.

Took some video, tried out a new GoPro edit app. Almost lost my Wahoo on this run, time for a stem mount!

https://quik.gopro.com/v/TGDtexhUBM/

Grego, Mikie, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  6. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Nice video! Looks good. Yucca is so fun...does anyone ever climb up there (apart from hikers)?!

Mikie, mike and Cornholio like this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Thanks! I only pass hikers going up Yucca, can't say I've ever passed a rider going up it.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yes, I have climbed Yucca before....it's not a bad climb. Like climbing Rock-It....you gotta pick your day and time.

Mikie, mike and SingleTrackJB like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got out today. Headed out for a morning ride to the Oaks with my wife.

Today......she discovered how great these dawn patrol rides are. We rolled from home at 5:20 and it was just light. Cool temps and high humidity. Empty trails and really really quiet.

She set the pace....which also meant she got to clear all the spider webs. She chose the CX bike again, handled Yucca and Chutes with no problems. We split off at the bottom of Chutes. I went for a spin around Irvine Park to do Puma Ridge. Then I headed back up Chutes. it was getting warm. The temp wasn't high, but it was getting sticky. There was actually a nice breeze blowing up on the ridge. I wanted to be home by 8:00.....missed it by :20.

Now my wife wants to do the same thing tomorrow. :thumbsup:

IMG_2869.JPG IMG_2871.JPG

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ Great pics! :thumbsup:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Yeah, I rode. Met up with @Runs with Scissors and @Faust29 this morning for a blaze down MTT. They climbed GMR to get to the top and I climbed MTT. In the creek bed, I was delayed by a huge skunk that wouldn't get off the trail. :mad: It would run 20-30 feet then stop and point it's tail at me. This went on for about 100'. Then it got ahead of me and I was terrified about moving on because it could have been waiting for me out of sight at any point. But it was gone so all was well. The climb went well. Took a few breathers on the way up but made it to the top in a respectable time. The plan was to meet up with the guys at the top and it turns out that I just missed them by ONE MINUTE, lol (I asked some roadies who were resting if they saw two mtn bikers pass by and they said I had just missed them by a minute). So I scooted on in an effort to catch up to them and I almost did. They had turned around to head back down (on Upper MTT) and we ran into each other. Greetings and handshakes were made and then we were off to the fun part: the descent. My Timberjack rides like a FS bike so I decided to put it to the test by letting it out going down to see how it handled the descent. Let's just say I was very pleased with the results. That darn thing descends as well as my Remedy. These new long reach, short stem, relaxed geo HTs are amazing!

Great meeting and riding with you Mark and Steve! :thumbsup:

17.23 miles
    2:01:51 ride time
    2444' elevation gain
    1304 calories

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    As said above, got out this morning and rode with @Faust29 & @SnakeCharmer . Climb up GMR was casual; I was about 7 minutes off my PR. Met up with Mike at the top, and we boogied down. I let loose with that new front tire and wow, what a difference.

Great to meet you Mike. Great ride, great company, good times.

Obligatory bike shot with Shoemaker Cyn, back side of GMR, and Glendora Ridge Road visible all at the same time.:thumbsup:
    20170708_074604.jpg

Probably the only time I'll have the opportunity to say this: Steve coming down a hill behind me. :cool:
    20170708_081126.jpg

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    The weasel cleaned Rattlesnake this morning! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: First clean run ever. Scuze me while I gush...

Grego, Cornholio, H2oChick and 12 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ I was hoping for a riding video, lol!

Mikie and mike like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Yep... The alarm went off at 4:00 and I was wide awake. I couldn't think of a good enough reason to roll back over, so I got up and decided to make the drive out to GMR. :D

Mark wanted to roll at 6:00, but his partner rolled in promptly at 6:02 and we rolled a little after 6:05ish. :whistling: I like GMR... I've done the road climb and the Monroe Truck Trail climb, and they both have their merits. Today we hung with the roadies! Even managed to pass a few here and there...And in 1:10:00 we were at the top. @SnakeCharmer hadn't arrived yet, so we did a little extra credit on Upper Monroe. Ran into snakecharmer on the way back to the highway and made our introductions. His is the first Timberjack that I've seen in person. It's a good looking bike... Much better than the promo pictures they had on the Salsa website when it was introduced. That photographer should be hung.

That was about all I saw of the Salsa and the Giant. My plan was to not bounce the ribs too much, so I just cruised easy... The guys waited at a couple spots on the way down, and we all made it without issue. They probably had time to order a pizza... Especially on the rocky section at the creek level. :p

For anyone who hasn't tried Monroe Truck Trail, it's a great descent. Fast and flowy single track for miles, with a little exposure here and there, some jumps if that's your thing, and lots of scenery.

Great day on the bike... Glad I made it out of bed!

View from Upper Monroe...
    IMG_0511.jpg

Strava says 19.6 miles and 2900 feet...

https://www.relive.cc/view/1073621669

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Strava gypped me at 2,746. I'm going with yours instead. :sneaky::cool:

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I get extra credit, because I only have one gear. :p

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I rode my bike with hooligans today...
    On McGill Trail to be exact. Rode with @Voodoo Tom, @scottay , the new and improved Postal Pat (formerly known as @psm), and his friend named... well, Pat... from Santa Clarita.
    Was feeling saucy on my descent, however all the traffic we encountered today was on our descent so the only clean run I got in was on the upper section. Funny (sad) thing is it gave me an all time 282nd place, and a 38th for this year, ha hah! yeah, like I'm a speedster anymore... :unsure: Had a blast! Temps much better there than "other" places.
    mcgill.w.mcbuds.PNG

19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Couple pics from the McSummit...Shortly before @Mikie McSmoked us on the downhill...
    IMG_6008.jpg

IMG_6011.jpg

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Voodoo Tom Nobody but nobody sits as cool-ly as @Mikie when resting. Truly Herculean in repose!

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  21. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Well-Known Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    The only picture I have from today, I was hauling snail mail but it's always a great time to ride with @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom, and nice to meet Scottay and Bernie and even got to see my old riding buddy Ron who I haven't seen in awhile, it was a great day to get out, throw in that it was probably 25 degrees cooler up there than what I rode in yesterday, good times

20170708_112007.jpg

22. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    What kinda helmet is that guy wearing......something NASA made!?!?!?

Cornholio likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Looks like an "Urge" Down-o-matic.

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  24. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Unless you're in Laguna!! Had a great ride there this morning at LCWP, great dirt and ocean breezes "at times."

IMG_20170708_075757.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Glad to hear you made it out onto the trail, Pablo!!!

I can hep you dial in your suspension after my ride Sunday morning, if you wish (7/9). I will be in your 'hood.

pperrelle, Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I was looking at the heart rate data in Garmin Connect this morning, and hit the "correct elevation" button for the ride. Garmin bumped it to 6100 feet of gain. o_O :confused:

You would think the people who make the most used device would make some decent software to go with it...

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Or......you device is possessed again. :sick::Roflmao

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I always have to adjust the elevation stat from my Garmin unit. It loves to exaggerate. Hell, I'd be a 2.5 million feet gained by now for 2017 if I let it ride.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The unit physically recorded 2900 feet which is believable... The 6100 came from the Garmin connect on the web, which supposedly uses known elevation values and is calculated by their servers... Same process as the elevation correction on Strava.

This isn't the first wacky value I've seen from Garmin Connect... They "corrected" our Redlands ride to almost 15000 feet.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Solid ride this morning. 15/2400 Solo. Bunch of PRs. Bikes are fun! :thumbsup:

mike, Grego, Danimal and 5 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?