I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    After 2 days of waking up early to ride, changing my mind and going back to sleep, I finally stuck with it this morning and got out there. I had so much fun on the Laguna ride a while ago with @herzalot , @mtnbikej , and @Faust29 , and I'd been wanting to push myself and see how far I could go in Laguna, that I decided to use that ride as a starting point and see what I could add.

My longest Laguna ride had been 28 miles, and my biggest climbing ride so far had been 6,158' (not in Laguna). With the help of the conserving my legs on the climbs with the lower gearing on the demo bike, I thought I might be able to hit 40 miles and 7,000'. If not, I at least wanted to hit 30 miles and shoot for 6,000'.

I didn't get as early a start as I wanted, so I knew I might run out of time and was afraid it might get too hot. I rolled from Ridge Park about 8:15 and headed straight to Rattlesnake, up I Think I Can, over to and down T&A. It was fun to hit Rattlesnake again and felt a little quicker and smoother the 2nd time around. I wasn't quite as quick down T&A when I wasn't chasing @herzalot, but I wasn't too far off the pace and was having a blast. It was pretty cool tackling these trails cleanly on a 100/120mm 29er instead of my own 135/150mm 29er that I was riding last time.

From there it was up Canyon Acres to see if I could clean it with the crazy low 30x50 gearing. I couldn't. I made it farther than usual, spinning out on a steep pitch with deep silt. I thought that 5 feet might be the only part I would walk, but towards the top my legs had all they could take even with the low gearing. And I still wanted to save some legs for the rest of the ride. From there I went down Meadows, up Mathis, avoided a swarm of bees on the way to Rock-it, down Rock-it and over to Canyon View Park. I had planned on dropping 5 Oaks, but was feeling the fatigue at this point and wanted to still be sharp enough to descend Stairsteps without hurting myself. So I skipped 5 Oaks and looked for the drinking fountain I thought I remembered in the park ... uh oh ... must have remembered that wrong. Oh well, I'll just conserve what's left in my Camelbak. Up Cholla and over to Stairsteps. I was a little nervous hitting Stairsteps about 23 miles and 4,000' into the ride so I was more relieved than anything to clean the waterfall and make it safely down. Crossed the 133, up Willow, and across Missing Link and Fenceline. At this point I didn't have much left in the tank or the Camelbak, and it was into the midday heat. I decided to throw in a Lizard loop to at least get close to the low side of my goal for the day. I thought about refilling water at Ridge Park and setting out for a simple XC loop around El Moro to hit 40 and 7K, but my legs were pretty done, I didn't really feel like being out there in the sun for another hour, and it was already almost 1pm. I had a feeling I was already pushing it a bit for how late I was getting back to the family. So I called it a day, and as sore as I am right now, I'm glad I did. I finished with 32 miles and 5,400' of climbing. Even though I didn't hit the goals I wanted, or all the trails I wanted, it was an awesome day out on the bike, and it felt great cleaning Rattlesnake, T&A, and Stairsteps on a shorter travel bike than what I'm used to.

link: Relive video

2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I did 10 miles and 1800 feet in LCWP and I'm toast, can't imagine doing 32 and 5400! We stupidly started at 1:30. It was HOT. I'm paying the price now.

Cornholio, mike, Grego and 7 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    BEAST!!!! And it was hot today. :notworthy: :thumbsup: :cool: :eek: :confused:

I rode with my daughter. I didn't get the stats, but I am guessing 4 miles and 100'! :cool:

Cornholio, jaime, mike and 9 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nice job.....I find that climbing Canyon Acres on any big ride tends to spend way too much energy....so much quicker and easier to HAB up Stairsteps.

Also, there is a water fountain at the bottom of Willow, next to the Ranger's Trailer.

Cornholio, mike, SnakeCharmer and 6 others like this.
  5. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Sidewalk texted me asking to meet him up at the Post Office loop. I was able to finish work early which is not very often. Texted him back around 3 to meet me there at 5. My stuff was ready due to the ride the day before with Scottay and Hillbilly. Got to the trail head and he was already there. Didn't realize he had already done a loop. I suited up and off we went. The climb up Loch was a little slow for me and he waited like usual. We got to the P.O. loop in about an hour. Then we preceeded to kill the downhill to the rock slide in 15min, over 1min faster than my PR I believe his too. We hiked our bikes through the rocks and washout then remounted. Cruising along headed up to middle control I hear a crackling in the woods and low and behold a bear. What an awesome sight. It was to quick for us to get a picture. But I won't forget that. Sidewalk had seen the resident Doe earlier on his loop. Middle control was uneventful besides a good bit of BSing. Got to the top of Loch I took the lead and we ripped down it, Sidewalk PR'd it I was 20 sec off mine. This is another 15-20 minute descent which make 2 of them for this 20mile 3100 foot loop. Dinner at Jose's to complete our date got home by 9. Life is good ride on! Video to follow.

6. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll do that next time. Just couldn't resist seeing if I could clean it.:rolleyes:

Bummer, I looked for one around there and must have just missed it. I saw what looked like an emergency shower/rinse station next to the trailer, but must not have looked close enough to see the drinking fountain. Thanks for the info! Now I'll know for next time!

mike, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Here ya go.....water fountain at the red arrow. May be hidden by the bushes, but it is there.
    Screenshot (2).png

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That is a nice ride! You rode with J. His "gotta go bigger" condition is contagious.

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That is a lucky encounter... :thumbsup:

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode today. Really enjoy the grippy front tire. :thumbsup: Only slowed me down a bit, but going down the hills is way better now. Ardent EXO 2.4 at 17 psi - it's like having an extra 20mm of front suspension. :geek:

Super FLoop.
    21 miles, 2,055 feet of gain, 2 hours. Views were outstanding.

FLoop was kinda crowded today too.

Floop crowd.PNG

11. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks! I can't deny it. Even just reading his ride reports has given me the bug to try to work on my endurance and maybe join one of those crazy rides one of these days.o_O

12. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Thanks! That's really helpful! I completely missed it. The shower thing I saw was between the trailer and the wall just below the bottom car in the picture ... wrong place altogether.

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    When I started reading his ride reports, I was still struggling with bumping up from 5 miles to 10 miles on my Diamondback. And I probably still tipped the scales at 275... :oops:

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I don't think I read his ride reports - and knew they were his - until after my first ride with him. :whistling:

Then it was more of a WTF? :eek::geek:

MattB, mtnbikej, mike and 2 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    No wonder you agreed to that first ride up and over the peak! :Roflmao

I'll admit I had an "oh Sh!t" moment when he came out for that ride... :p

MattB, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I rode with mi amigos Faust29 and mtnbikej today. Finished up in time for a 10am SNPA.

Here's to the freaks, them two guys included, who get up in the middle of the night because they love to ride bikes in the dirt. Always a pleasure :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Luis, littlewave, MattB and 4 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Um, yep... I rode with mike and mtnbikej. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened. No crashes, no blood, no bruised ribs, no flats, no bailouts.... Nope. Not a one.* :whistling:

*Let's not call this version 100% true. It may need to be amended slightly in the future. Slightly.

Climbing Main Divide:
    IMG_0477.JPG

Near the Upper Holy Jim trailhead:
    IMG_0490.JPG

Marion berry pie from Oregon... And two interested pooches:
    IMG_0496.JPG

18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Something tells me there's more to the story @Faust29...o_O

19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Yep I rode today, a couple times. Waited till at least 6:00am for Rusty to wake up but I guess he needed his beauty sleep so I took off. Was thinking about a big loop but got to the end of the street and decided to keep it close to home and be good hubby/dad... First loner loop was good for 19/3k ish and I was just starting to feel good. Called the wife a few miles from home to see what her plans were and she had no answer so I took a direct line home and loaded loaded her & her bike & the dog in the truck. Got a short loop that maximizes the shade so thats what we did. Helped that we stage at a Starbucks parking lot so the wife was easy to convince. I'm a plain black coffee kinda dude but today when we finished I had a cold caramel frappucino and truth be told I really liked it even though it probably cost more than a 6 pack of beer.

Proof of ride # 2
    IMG_5991.jpg

Oh and the wife(aka shiny shoes) got these shiny new things that she thought matched her bike real well. Rusty & myself disagree...
    IMG_5998.jpg

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That's awesome... Except for the frappuccino part. :sick::gag:

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Rusty!!!!!!! LOL I guess he doesn't underestimate the power of a good night's (or morning's) sleep :sleep::geek:

Mountain biking may be hazardous.

13pt_piws_9112.gif
    13pt_piws_7907.gif
    13pt_piws_7611.gif
    13pt_piws_8901.gif
    13pt_piws_9209.gif
    13pt_piws_9210.gif
    13pt_piws_0012.gif
    13pt_piws_0101.gif
    13pt_piws_7405.gif

Cornholio, herzalot, Luis and 7 others like this.
  22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Classic...:thumbsup:

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
  24. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Rode The Tour de Noble Friday with t-2, Sunday Mission trails in S.D. Tues. fireworks with Family, Thurs. Tour de Cold Springs with a Crazy Hillbilly! Shaping up to be a good week:geek:.

mike, Cornholio, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My buddy Ty called in sick yesterday for our Chumash ride so I decided to throw the 29s on and go for a local fire road loop from home. Of course there were a few miles of pavement to get there. I really love the versatility of this bike. I just have to remember that the 2.25 Racing Ralphs don't have quite the traction of the 2.8 Minions. I left just before 6 as I had to be home by 8. Made it with 15 minutes to spare! Hope everyone had a great 4th.20170704_071942-1612x1209.jpg 20170704_071755-1944x1458.jpg 20170704_072742(0)-1209x1612.jpg 20170704_075335-3024x2268.jpg IMG_20170704_080809_733.jpg

26. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Lots of critters out today. Saw a roadrunner up the trail and when I got to where it headed off into the brush I flushed a covey of quail. All under the close eye of some kind of small hawk. Rabbits darting about not wanting to end up on the menu. Only thing I didn't see was another human all morning on the trail. Nice. Smiling is good.

mike, Cornholio, MattB and 6 others like this.
  27. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @scan That does look magically delicious. I will need to add this to the list for this summer. Perhaps you could be my tour guide?

29. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    I was up early today so I decided to beat the heat and get a dawn patrol run in before work. Rolled out of the driveway at 5:30 and did a Peters Canyon and Oaks loop. Weather was perfect. Didn't even need arm warmers. Saw a few hikers and a couple of bikes on the trail, but pretty much had the trails to myself. Barham still makes me sad. :( 18 miles, 1,699 feet.
    Capture.PNG

IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG

30. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    I headed out to Oaks before it got hot and did a quick loop up and around before checking out a helicopter dropping mosquito repellents in the water/marsh behind the dam. Cruised around Irvine park for a bit and found a nice ledge in some grass to practice drops on.

IMG_2695.PNG

Ended up pedaling for 15.5 miles with only 1200 feet gain since I rode Irvine park for a bit. I'll probably get out again tomorrow morning for a tougher ride.

Beer o'clock at Tustin Brew Co, Pliny the Elder on tap.

IMG_2694.JPG