I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Evoracer

Evoracer Member

Name:
    "That Guy"
    Current Bike:
    HBall SS, N9 old SS
    Bummed. I have a spiderless chainring that's about toast.

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Took the day off work to ride. I do this once a year, and today was it. Had a good friend N8 Ag join me for my longest ride in a year. Really nice day, startled a group of 3 Roadrunners, was pretty cool to see them.
    STT to Old camp, luge whiting home. Was mildly apprehensive as just bought new Mtb shoes yesterday and this was the first ride in them.
    27 miles, and 4035 ft elev.
    Good ride, good weather and good company. Life is good and bikes are fun..'nuff said!

3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @mtnbikej the bike looks bad ass on the rack "wide load" :thumbsup:

4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Your rack turned out good! :thumbsup:

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Cool! Great job. Big numbers.

It's N8 Ag isn't it? Fun with the periodic table!

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Thanks!
    Yes, ag.
    Doh!

7. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Did a quick after work Oaks ride. It was pretty toasty out. A high of 91 per the Garmin. The trails were pretty empty. It was a good way to end the week. 9.6 miles, 1,355 feet of elevation.

IMG_4684.JPG IMG_4685.JPG

8. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    The plan was to just ride Whiting today with @SiriusStargazer (Jeff) and “Ricki” (not (yet) an IMTB member). Jeff’s shoulder is still recovering and Ricki is still new to MTBing and didn’t want to get anywhere near t the Luge, but “somehow” we ended up at the flag, “jus to take a picture”. Well now that we were there why not give it a try.
    Snapseed.jpg
    Jeff’s shoulder was up to it and Ricki has a new favorite trail. The only bad part of the ride is one of my knee pads (Raceface) went missing along the way.

9. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Same ol' TECRIL report. 5-Oaks, Cholla, Rock-It, Mathis, Meadows solo at noon. Sunny, but not hot. I was pretty lethargic today, and off my game descending as well. No matter - still a lot of fun and great exercise. Great day! 15.8 miles. 2370'

11. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Early morning El Moro/LCWP ride with a couple of buddies. Had a nice cloud cover the entire ride. Started from Ridge Park-Lizards, over to Camarillo, Stagecoach over to Nix and back to the base of Willow. Decided to try something new and stay on Stagecoach to either Big Bend or Laguna Ridge. Not a good idea, lol. Came across a hiker on the way to Laguna Ridge and asked him about the trail. He said it will be a nice hike carrying our bikes up, he only sees bikes going down so we decided to ride up Big Bend instead. Talk about steep. Made it back up to Bommer to Fence Line, dropped Red Tail and climbed up Ticketron to No Name Ridge back to the car. 17.2 miles, 2,618 feet. Fun ride.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1021123468

IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4696.JPG
    IMG_4691.JPG

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    That looks like a great prescription for anything that ails ya :thumbsup::cool:

13. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    Fun ride through Santiago Oaks today. Chutes, Cactus, Bumblebee, Hawk, up one of the B's I think?, to the gazebo to mess around on some of those rock features, Yucca, Coachwhip, Deer Loop, Chutes and out. I had a good crash on Yucca- just trying to go too fast- luckily just a few scratches and a flat front tire. Best of all we got out of there before it got too hot. Fun day.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    After watching a very exciting WC DH from Ft. William, I met up with @Cougar and Scott at the Aliso main lot. Scott didn't want to hit anything too challenging, and Craig is back on his entry-level Rockhopper Comp 29er hardtail while his beloved Turner Burner gets some love. First order of business this morning, was removing the dork disc. Harder than it should be.

There is no doubt that 29ers roll faster. Period. Craig was hard to keep up with on Coyote and really anywhere that didn't benefit from rear suspension. He dropped a chain on Rock-It at the halfway point, and broke a derailleur cable on the bottom portion of Rock-It. Fortunately, we each carry a spare derailleur cable. After some trouble at the lever end of the assembly, we got it fixed and tuned up in about 15-20 minutes.

So our plan was to jam out Coyote to Mathis, then climb up and show Scott down Meadows for his first time. Unfortunately, when Scott exited Coyote, his pack was hanging off his shoulder awkwardly. He had ducked under a tree, but the tree was having none of it. The deciduous beast ripped the shoulder strap clean off the pack at the top junction. One of the strangest "mechanicals" we've ever encountered. But McGyver ain't got nothin' on the three of us. A bowie knife, some zip ties and Scott was up and riding with a stable pack.

Meadows was fun, as usual, but we were getting whipped in the face and shins by the overgrown, 8' high weeds. Visibility is a challenge, and some of the turns are pretty hidden for proper set up. It's easy to t-bone turns you can't see.

Craig was really enjoying the DH temperament of his spare bike. :eek: And by really enjoying I mean hating it. :confused:

Fun ride - and interesting ride with the equipment delays. 14.5 miles 1800'. Temps were cool, cloudy and humid for much of the ride, but sunny as we climbed Mathis.

Thanks guys. Bikes are fun! :thumbsup:

15. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Had an interesting Aliso ride today with @herzalot and his friend Scott. It was a pretty basic Cholla -> Rock-It -> Mathis -> Meadows loop, nothing strenuous. I was on my old 29'er hardtail since my Burner is in the shop getting a bunch of things done to it (since the Dropper Post critically failed on me on Monday), and that was something I hadn't done in a while. Maybe a year since I've ridden it?

The "Interesting" started in the parking lot; since we were waiting on Scott to arrive, Chris and I were poking around our bikes looking for stuff to tweak/poke/lube to kill time. My dork disc had detached from where it was secured, and was slightly rubbing. So we decided to remove it. 7 minutes later, we managed to hack it off with a pair of pliers that Chris had. We also played with my fork some, the dial for adjusting the fork was unscrewing the entire cap rather than turning the dial, but that was pretty trivial. Once Scott showed up, we hit the trail pretty quick and proceeded to Cholla via Coyote without much problem. I think I lost some fillings in my teeth from the hard tail.

Cholla -> Rock-It was pretty uneventful. I mean, I can't remember the last time I went down Rock-It on my hard tail. The 29er wheels had their upsides, but man I missed my rear suspension. When I got the base of Rock-It, I found that I had broken my rear derailleur cable. Which wasn't terribly surprising seeing as how long it had sat unused. I had a spare cable on me due to previously breaking a cable and learning the ways of Chris preparation. However, my hard tail has a Sram derailleur and none of us had changed a cable in that before. So that took a bit of trial and error - but we got it.

Onward! Except by the time we regrouped after Coyote, Scott rolls up saying "sorry guys I'm done". Turns out he caught a low hanging branch on his shoulder strap of his hydration pack, yanked him backwards, but thankfully didn't pull him off the bike. However, it completely detached his right strap off his hydration pack and tore a big hole in the top of his pack. After we got over the shock of 'how the hell did you do that' we MacGyver'ed the Sh!t out of that. Scott had a nice knife and cut through the outer fabric of his strap where some slits were in the foam, and Chris and I had some zip ties and we zip tied the Sh!t out it. It worked! Onward!

The rest of the ride was really pretty uneventful. We finished with Mathis -> Meadows and away we went. Yay bikes. Boo hard tails :p

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    ^^^^ We must have written those reports simultaneously. It's amazing how close they are in description!

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I want to ramp up my mileage, so went out again today for some local trail usage. Went up to Highland, and instead of doing the regular trail, thought I would be adventurous and do the Van Leuven Rd to Plunge Creek Truck Trail. Well that was a mistake! Ended up pushing the bike most of the way up the steep, rutted, and overgrown trail. Then ended up pushing it down most of the steep, rutted and overgrown trail! Going up was beyond my strength, and going down was beyond my skill. That and it was hot and exposed with no wind. But I survived!!! At least now I know what that trail is on Google maps, so can mark it off the to-do list!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1021444239

Some of the views. It was pretty at least!
    34254108664_6cebd7b8b8_b.jpg

On the way home, stopping for more water:
    34967376511_efb1d16d14_b.jpg

VTEC kicked in:
    34711220570_0e89ba857a_b.jpg

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Cross-training, depletion training, heat training...I don't see any mistakes. More mileage will come easy at this rate :cool::thumbsup:

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Have not hit Exploration since last year. Tom Shaffer and I figured it was time. Little did I know he wanted to do this trail because it would be perfect to dial in and test out his new ride in the chunk! That he did ! Whoopin it up all the way down and back up twice! Actually no whoopin it up going up the second time as it heated up on us and we still pushed it. I do not know what it is but that climb just wears me out! The trail is a gas but is a little soft in some corners. Lotsa fun techy stuff. You have ta do it twice to get your fill as it is a bit short. You gotta go Herz. Toms new ride is a thumbs up! Yeti 5.5 29r 160 up front 140 of infinity travel in the rear. Very nice. The next two picks are the fruits of our labor at Rocky"s. You gotta go there too! Thanks for the ride Tom you were rockin!

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nice ride, nice rig, good eats. You are correct, I do need to do that trail. I wish I still had access to a cabin in Big Bear. Hit Exploration on the way up.

21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Those are some serious sammies!

22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I rode my bike today, among other things.

Oc triathlon with the wife today. Seriously unprepared, I really should have done more Long swims. I was ready to quit after getting kicked in the face 200 yards in, and never got my mojo back. Everyone I passed on the bike passed me back on the run. Oh, and that run is a death march. That's the most vertical 10k I've ever seen.

My highlight of the day was passing a group of e-bikes heading up from cooks. Gave them a well deserved razzing on my way by.

My primary motivation for finishing was that now I will never have to do that again. Training with the wife is fun, but competitive swimming is not my thing, and running sets my IT bands on fire.

Now that that's over I'm looking forward to a summer playing in the dirt. I miss dirt.

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    All of the above happened! Actually did okay in the heat the last two days finishing up around noon. I really wanted to finish this loop, but ended up taking a cheater trail down when I saw the next climb I would need to push up!

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Love it! Did you get the pieces from a doner tray? Any problems getting the arm attached?

SnakeCharmer and mike like this.
  25. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just like you, @Tom the Bomb , Rockie''s sandwiches are da bomb!
    Exploration is a fun little ride. Next time 3 laps!

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ya know... There are some long rides posted occasionally in the trailhead... :whistling:

27. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I want to get to the point where I can consider them!!!
    Those 0-dark-thirty starts are another story...

28. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    No secret I don't like to drive on my days off since I've been working lately in San Diego.:mad: That said I stayed local and join the Sunday Floop crew. 10-11 riders today. Good to see some old friends. Mixed it up with some extra credit off menu trail and Panorama for a 20/2000 cruise. One in the group disappeared. Figured he just went home since he was close and usually peels off there. Found out later he went head on into another rider going the opposite direction on a single track. Hope he is OK. Other than that, Good times!

29. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    That's one of the worst Floop horror stories I've heard.

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Bad juju! Best wishes for minimal injury and good outcome.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?