I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    OTH again! This time i rode Sport, since i wanted to go a bit longer. The new loop was awesome. They cut this single track (some of that was there too last year), working together with the Parks. I took some pics when doing practice lap. When i did my practice lap i definitely did not look forward doing 3 laps of those...fortunately it was only 2 . Race was about 11 miles and 1050 feet. My goal was not to finish last, i think i achieved that :)

IMG_1688.JPG

2. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Iron Horse Quantum/Chumba XCL
    Floop dissing is blasphemy. Floop is life. Floop is love.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I had a magnificent ride today! I keep saying this but my new HT just keeps getting better and better for me.

As planned, I made it out to Cheseboro after work. Geared up and took off at about 11:45. Mostly cloudy but the sun was fighting it's way through at moments. Pleasant temp around 70 degrees and a consistent breeze that made it feel comfortably cool the entire ride. Climbed Palo Comado and jumped onto Sheep Corral. Kept bumping into two guys who were being guided by a third. Snapped a pic of the three at the overlook then continued on along Sheep Corral. Passed through Sheppard's and headed for Gas Pipe. WOW, was that techy drop fun on the Timberjack!!! Arguably the most fun I have ever had on that descent. This HT rides like my Remedy, it attacks fast and gobbles up the gnar with confidence inspiring geometry. I love HT's. I like the efficiency and I love to climb. Pedal/crank arm strikes are all but eliminated on the Timberjack with it's fairly high BB. So, I pedaled through Bell canyon and then grinded up the Las Virgenes Conector (major :eek:). Got up and over the ridge and junctioned onto Cheseboro Canyon toward the parking lot. Did an extra credit climb to reach and then drop down Modelo trail for one last stretch of ST. There was two huge, dead, fallen trees blocking the trail on my route today. They had been there a while and go-around paths were already in place. There is a series of jumps that somebody has built up along the way too on Sheep Corral. More wildflowers there now than the last time I rolled through which was a bit of a surprise to me. Felt strong, felt happy the entire ride. I even caught myself laughing as I rolled down and through the steep, techy, gnar sections. This is what a ride was meant to be.

11.65 miles
    1:18:07 ride time
    1427' elevation gain
    800 calories

***legal disclosure: images not shown in sequential order! :D

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Another hump day afternoon spin Maple to Motorway.

We knew we'd be riding into the pea soup again...but we started earlier and were almost all the way to 4 Corners before we got into it. Steve and I were joined today by my good friend Jeff. The pace didn't feel fast, but we really didn't stop. From 4 Corners to Motorway we were in and out of the clouds. Temps were cool, but it really never felt as cold as it was....just humid.

Fun run down Motorway....the lower sections are still pretty overgrown with all the obstacles hidden in the brush.

Looking at the results....we PR'd the whole loop....and by about 10 mins. Didn't feel that fast.

Good day on the bike.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @SnakeCharmer if you have more than two photos, it deserves its own thread!

6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode LCWP yesterday afternoon... Again fun/ not ce as always, push it a bit on Lizards... And rode TnA again later. Starting to get the flow, was on a really good flow till I picked a bad line and stalled in a rock section, should have probably just rolled it anyways, been rolling / dropping pretty solid lately.

Gotta say not sure about the rest of you but getting a bit tired of getting seriously face shmaccked!! On the single tracks.

Oh and I always forgethow far back to.Ridge Oark it is from bottom of TnA

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I shook out the cobwebs yesterday with a quick ride up Black Star. I tried to keep the pace kind of quick as punishment for all the goodies I ate in Oregon. :D

Tonight it was the Wednesday Maple- Motorway loop with Mtnbikej and his friend, Jeff. Jeff is fast. Very fast, even on a big bike.

The pace was on the quick side going up the pavement start, but we backed off a little once we hit the dirt. Or maybe I was just warmed up by then. :whistling:

A little chilly going across Main Divide, but not too bad- mid 40s. Main Divide is getting a little loose in spots, and the dust kicks up pretty fast and thick.

Motorway is still over grown, but the colors are pretty vibrant... reds, yellows, greens in a surreal blend lining the narrow trail. Today would have been the time for the GoPro.

Fun ride... Nice to hit Motorway in daylight for a change. :thumbsup:

edit: I forgot to mention... On my Black Star run the other day, I saw a guy headed up the switchbacks with a 6-8 month old baby in a chest mounted carrier. I immediately thought of @Cornholio and @DangerDirtyD. It was neat to see, but there is no way in hell my wife would have signed off on that... Fire road or not.

8. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Met a buddy for a run up Blackstar this afternoon. Saw quite a few other bikes out there. Perfect weather for a ride. Dark clouds were rolling in, but no rain dropped.
    IMG_4579.JPG

9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I am picture taking fool and I am only sharing some of each batch. I feel that there should be multiple pics in every RR to help place us at the scene. Every story is a book in life...

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Today is Bike to Work Day so I played the game and turned the pedals. I get to ride home this afternoon too. :thumbsup:

20170518_072708.jpg

Coyote Creek bike path has had signs for a week now that the bike path is closed ahead. Today they meant it. :eek: Had to detour - luckily I know the area like the back of my hand.

20170518_061247.jpg

11. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Hey Runs w Scissors,
    I used to do that commute 2x a week... would get on the Coyote Creek trail down to 2nd street and cut over to the Ocean beach path to the Courthouse.. 1 hour 15 or so on the bike... 1 hour 15 or so on the 91/710 traffic....
    now work in a different city but miss those coyotes in the am that would not even bother to get off the trail when you pass by...
    its incredible the wildlife you see in the concrete river... seen a sea turtle, sea lion and a pod of porpoises in the channel!! people still think I just saw some floating plastic bags....

12. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    oh yeah.. I rode the floop again...

herzalot, jaime, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  13. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    yesterday.... through the oaks.... perfect weather... great trails... no falls... and a handful of PR's... it was a good ride... like all of them!

14. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode today Just climbing. 7.6 1358 ft.

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode today Just climbing. 7.6 1358 ft.

herzalot and SnakeCharmer like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Today was date night at Blackstar with my wife. I know, great date right? She set the pace and we just cruised up. Only a couple of other riders out. Nice temps out there.
    She was killing it on the descent....I was having to work to keep up. Good ride tonight.

Voodoo Tom, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    IMG_20170518_153208.jpg
    Super quick and short ride on Skyline...temps 78 but cool breeze ;)

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This isn't a thread for Ride Reports. This is a thread for mundane, routine rides you just want to share because you appreciate the opportunity. Ride reports with multiple pictures and great stories such as yours deserve their own thread. :thumbsup:

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Just so y'know...the courthouse is no longer there. I got to see it go down; it was impressive.

konakc likes this.
  20. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I was bored of the typical lunch loop at WR, so I still went there but started/ended at water tank road today. Mixing it up was fun. I been trying to break 1:40 on Cactus for a while now to dethrone my work buddy as "cactus champ". Well PR'd at 1:41 today. So close now..... pedal!!!!!

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Oh, now you're just messing with me. :sneaky:

herzalot, Faust29 and Tom the Bomb like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nope. Read the first post of this thread.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I fail to see the difference. I could write a 10 page report with 30 pics about riding around my block on pavement, no joke.

Your thread, your rules?

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Herz has always been protective of his baby. At least you didn't post a report of a 65 miler with over a dozen pictures... :whistling:

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Think of this thread more like twitter....limited information/pics. Helps to keep this thread from bogging down with a zillion pics.

Usually for me if I post more than a pic or 2....I'll write up a separate RR.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, jaime and 3 others like this.
  26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Thanks. I guess I just feel that there is more to share in life than black and white.

Maddog, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  27. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    Moderator, please ban all people who post photos and more than 140 characters on this thread so Herz doesn't blow a gasket.

28. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    :cautious: (Typing carefully...)

I rode Oaks this morning, nothing special but I finished with a spin through Irvine Park. I keep hitting Yucca to dial in my suspension but there were actually a lot of hikers out this morning so I didn't have a fast run on it. Not much time again today.

As I was climbing B's a few hikers passed me at the elementary school junction and mentioned to "be careful, there's a snake that won't move off the trail" which ended up being a gopher snake sunning. :Roflmao This one couple were scared to walk by it so I assured them it was fine and I stood between them and he snake.

Careful, narrow passage! :rolleyes:
    IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

Santiago in the distance:
    IMG_1967.JPG

(I feel like my 2 snake pics should count as one since it's kinda just a regular and close up of the same thing.) :p

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Too late! That happened on page 3!

30. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Got out early this morning and rode the hills, had it all to myself until the very end. Met a gentleman hiker at the top that wanted to chat about my bike and then this and that. Like me, he is an old timer that has been kicking around these hills since the 80s. I have to say, I rode M, W, Fr this week up here in the reviled "Turnbull" area and found it to be most pleasant. The trails are in pretty good shape for the most part, you get leg whipped by cat-o'-9 tail mustard in places and flayed by spider thistle in others but it isn't too bad overall. Slow down the last quarter mile so you don't collide with the people heading up from 7th Ave, like the numb nutted young couple that let their little coyote bait muffin dog run loose with a Go-Pro strapped to its back. Go figure. Beautiful day today, nice temps all week, not trapped in some mega-corp rat cage, what's not to like?

BeckTrex, mike, Danimal and 10 others like this.