I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Got out a little late. Had to rebuild my fork. Fork feel great. Headed to Oaks. Forgot my arm warmers and/or jacket. Was cold right away. Figured I would just push for a quick ride.

Going down Yucca....no back brake. Pumped back up at the bottom. Going down Cactus....no back brake. Going down Grasshopper....back brake was hit or miss. Called it a day. :gag:

UPSed, Cisco Roots, BeckTrex and 7 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Sounds like a bleed is in order.

mtnbikej likes this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Nice fun after work ride on my same old 13 mile Whiting ride. Felt really good, PR'd mustard-marks bench climb and was within a few seconds of my best mustard climb. So fun...so nice to feel good and strong on a ride. Damn that was a blast....
    And almost no-one out today. guess the 62 deg temps kept 'em away.. o_O:thumbsup:

4. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode Aliso today..made my way to Oaks have not ridden it in years. Of course one day not wearing my pads. But me and the Bronson cleaned it sight unseen..I had good Juju flowing not fast but clean.

Ride over to meadows fun too until I got smacked at good a speed by a branch... Right in the ole kisser as it were.

Bikes are fun!

UPSed, Cisco Roots, kioti and 9 others like this.
  5. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Over the hump today: was fun! I should have put something extra on while waiting in line for my number, it was chilly. I warmed up on the parking lot side of the course.

I did intermediate 39, which meant only 2 loops. Think will do sport 39 next week and being able to do 3 laps. I did that last year and my goal was not to finish last ;-).

Atmosphere was fun. Hundreds of bikers on Tuesday/school night, in a beautiful setting, and no sky high race fees. What is not to like! :)

6. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Rode with a few hundred people today at Irvine Lake. OTH race #1. Had a good time banging bars with a buddy. Finished mid-pack in the old, slow guys class.

Starting chute. Good turnout. The race started about 30 minutes late because there were so many people still in line getting signed up.

IMG_4545.JPG

Rocking the IMTBtrails jersey for the race

IMG_6002.JPG

Our bikes were spooning post race

IMG_4546.JPG

Wahoo's burrito and a beer. :thumbsup:

IMG_4547.JPG

Oaken, MrGreedom, UPSed and 15 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Looks like fun times.

It's not the first time they started late because of the number of people trying to get registered.

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I was headed to OTH but got sidetracked by Santiago Oaks! The dirt was crispy/tacky... drying out but still moist enough to just bomb .. . The wind gave a little bit of a kite affect on the chutes jump mid ridge and pushed you up the 3 Bs. No one around.. Everyone at OTH. So you could really bomb down ... did run into a baby rattler on Yucca... must of been the same one as Cornholio (about 4pm yesterday?) took a picture of...
    Never did make it to OTH... just kept on riding the Oaks...

Just an awesome day, red tipped vultures overhead, the clouds, and the racing heartbeat as I death grip down hawk!

9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Beavis
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I just checked and I passed the small rattler around 3:55pm near the bottom of Yucca so probably was the same one! It was really quiet out there, the weather gave it an almost eerie vibe.

10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Your avatar.

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Sycamore Canyon sunrise jaunt with Marek the Polish Punisher and Jeff the [insert alliteration here].

Tonight I have a rendezvous with a certain Bomb Squad for my last hurrah. I couldn't be more fortunate; well, I could, but this will do just fine.

12. Evoracer

Evoracer Member

Name:
    "That Guy"
    Current Bike:
    HBall SS, N9 old SS
    On the commuter today. 1mi each way, 4 miles total including home for lunch. Woohoo!SS Voyager.jpeg

13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I must of been right behind u bc the rattler was moving and almost off trail on our left..haha..
    Awesome riding... I was asian dude on blue pivot ..solo...

14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Trying to catch up with it after my recent crash. Not exactly easy with injured hip and shoulder. But I may go out this afternoon and open up some of the STT. Any help would be appreciated.

no worries, herzalot, MattB and 3 others like this.
  15. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Quick recon run down Rattlesnake in El Moro. The ridge line portion of the trail is very overgrown. Some of the ruts have filled in (been filled in?) but there's still some major ruts. Almost cleaned the entire climb up to the rock garden, but one section was too washed out/rutted. Rock garden was in ok shape. Threw some dead branches across one side of the trail to try to close of a p line.

On the way back out there were a bunch of vultures riding the thermals, and one had what looked at first like a snake, but upon closer inspection, was actually some intestines. Also heard a pack of coyotes going crazy down in Emerald Canyon somewhere. Fun afternoon.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Isn't the climb up Redtail/Rattlesnake always overgrown? I'm trying to remember the last time I climbed it and it was wide open. Maybe part of the reason I never ride it.

Cornholio likes this.
  17. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Yes, so imagine what it's like now.

I don't head out that way very often because you lose too much elevation on the fireroad after the rock garden. In fact, just turned around and walked back up it last night.

18. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thats what ive almost always done.

littlewave and herzalot like this.
  19. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I got out for a fun spin at Oaks this morning. I was surprised how dry the trails were after waking up to wet streets and yard in HB, but I guess Santiago Oaks didn't get much of that moisture ... so much for the tacky dirt I was hoping for. I ended up running into another rider in the parking lot, and he asked if he could join me ... of course! I haven't ridden much since the Rwanda ride, but have generally been feeling pretty strong lately, so I figured a mellow ride with a random rider would be fine and if our paces were too different we just part ways (thinking I would be the one to push on a little faster and farther). Next thing I know he was on my wheel the whole climb up Chutes, down Cactus, and up Bumblebee. He took the lead down Hawk, and it was my turn to be on his wheel, but I wouldn't have taken it any faster. Then we started climbing the 3 B's, and he dropped me like I was standing still! I actually did a double take when I caught up to him waiting at the first gazebo, to see if I had somehow overlooked that we was on an eBike ... nope, just an impressively strong rider in unassuming trail gear (no lycra), more than 10 years older than me, pushing 27.5+ tires, spinning at least a few gears higher on the cassette than I was, on flat pedals. Let's just say it was humbling. o_O Humbling experience aside, he was a really cool, mellow guy, who was just having fun getting out and riding. It was great to meet a random rider in the parking lot, who ends up being a very cool guy and rides a similar enough pace that you can push each other a bit on the both the ups and downs.

Anyway, we got rained on a little at the top of Coachwhip and ended up finishing the ride with some tacky dirt to enjoy dropping down Barham, Cactus again, Hawk again, and Chutes Ridgeline on the way out.

Perfect conditions, a bunch of fun downhills, and just enjoying being out riding with another random mountain biker who was just as stoked to be riding today ... couldn't have asked for a better ride.

20. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I did it, I rode my bike today. Just a short jaunt in Aliso up to TOTW, then over for a solo down Lynx. I had not seen Lynx in a long while.... like long enough that I screwed up my line and nearly had an OTB. Saved it and then a dismount to steady my nerves and continue on to make it to work on time at 9am. Life is good pedal on

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    I did a short ride through Cherry Canyon this afternoon to get a feel for my new girl. Well, she is different than any other bike I have ever ridden (on twisty ST). A learning curve is in order. But she is solid. :cool:

10.35 miles
    1:08:05 ride time
    1394' elevation gain
    760 calories

IMG_1106.JPG

22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Perfect conditions, a bunch of fun downhills, and just enjoying being out riding with another random mountain biker who was just as stoked to be riding today ... couldn't have asked for a better ride.[/QUOTE]

23. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Matt b.. This. Is what mtbkers r all about..enjoyin company n nature at same time.. Its good to ride!

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    That was me!!!! :thumbsup:

(I am lying.) :confused: Cool report nonetheless. :cool:

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Hardcore...no bar tape! :thumbsup:

26. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Did the local Monrovia Canyon Park to Rincon ride. Chasing and riding in clouds is one of my MTB passions and today I made it happen. Was no problem riding in the cloud but it was freezing coming down! I had a shell and some head protection so it wasnt so bad.

Pushed the pace today and bested most climbing segments by minutes each, yes! Great day on the bike enjoying nature and solitude. Didnt see a soul the whole time.

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

IMG_5060.PNG

27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Marshall Canyon sunset ride with the Bomb Squad! @Tom the Bomb can post the pics for proof.

28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Very cool... It's nice to get humbled. It keeps us grounded. And I had a similar experience tonight... With a very cool rider. :thumbsup:

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    We rode tonight... There were 4 riders in all, and only 8 cogs, and 3 suspension forks. :p

Mtnbikej and I met at the tree farm, because some jackass thought it would be a good idea to do extra credit on the way up and down. :whistling: That guy won't be planning any more rides, that's for sure. :pWe rolled the 5 miles up the canyon and met Singlespeedrider and Calvin near the gate. It was chilly, but arm warmers were enough for most of the ride to Four Corners. All of the water crossings were wet. Not as deep as January, but it's still a little surprising to see water in May. :thumbsup:

Main Divide was in the clouds, but we made it across, with only a front tube as a casualty. Quickly repaired and we were on our way. Looking down at the fog in the canyons was surreal. The phone would not have done it justice, so no pictures. :stop:

I've ridden Motorway 25 times since it opened in September. Tonight was like riding it for the first time... With blinders on. The visibility was 10 feet in spots, and I just never felt comfortable going down. The trail was so overgrown in spots that I couldn't see it, and had to feel for it with the front tire. Not exactly a confidence inspiring technique. There were a few "oh shoot" moments in the group, but nothing too serious... Thankfully. By the bottom, we were all soaked and frozen.

At the bottom mtnbikej and I bundled up, said goodbye to the smarter riders, and rolled downhill through the canyon... For a grand total of 28 miles and 4400 feet.

30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    She looks good in her natural element! I can't wait to hear more...

Want to donate to imtbtrails?