I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    ACH is rideable? Did you go via the secret, no-tell route? (Hwy 39)

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  2. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    We actually started at buckhorn. . To Dawson. Gate is closed from ice slip gate to Vincent Gap. :)

3. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Made it out Sunday with another Pat for a cruise around Santa Clarita, rode through central park trying to figure out what the course for the upcoming Pedalfest series will look like, not sure how it will work but at least the parking will be free. From there we did a few laps on the short but fun little trails behind the aquatic center, great day to be out on the bike

Screenshot_2017-04-10-19-02-11-1.png

FB_IMG_1491876212496.jpg

FB_IMG_1491876203102.jpg

Mikie, RS VR6, PATKOUG and 15 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    11.1 miles. Unknown elevation. Average of 148 watts for 45 minutes. My trainer was sitting on concrete and I had a splendid view of my garage door. :laugh:

I dare you to try pedaling to Travis Tritt's "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" 3 times straight. It'll give you a cadence of 88-90, and make you work. I know, this doesn't really qualify for "I rode my bike today." Whatever. ;)

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Since we didn't ride yesterday....we hiked, and my wife can't ride tomorrow due to a Rwanda Ride meeting, we headed out this afternoon for a Monday bonus ride.

Ladies choice and she chose to head out to Weir Canyon....yes, we were out there yesterday.

I was fighting a bit of a headache, but the first 45 mins of this ride seemed to just drag on. We were going forward, but everytime I thought about it, it felt like we should have been way farther into the ride. The pace was fine....maybe my head just wasn't into it yet.

As we dropped into Weir Canyon my wife rode right by this big guy:
    IMG_2695.JPG

I saw the tail on the trail so I stopped once I went by. We were down wind and it didn't seem to be too concerned with me getting closer.

We had Weir Canyon all to ourselves. No other bikes today....just a few hikers. Back into the Oaks, it was just as dead. Think we saw 2 bikes. Eerily quiet out there.

Ran into some friends on the way out.

Good fun ride with the wife.

Mikie, bvader, SnakeCharmer and 16 others like this.
  6. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    2011Trek Fuel Ex9
    Rode in the Santa Ana Mountains, on today's menu Maple Springs up to 4 corners where I was really feeling very tired? and so was my bike.20170411_120326.jpgMe and Andy took a quick break one of many I would take, never ridden south on Maindivide. We then headed up the fireroad. Not knowing it would get a lil tuff" fist size rocks just covering the fireroad. After a while HAB" time at that point a white jeep is passing by, driver asked if we are ok? He probably seen us beat at that point he then offered us a huge cup of ice water that he said he hadn't drank out of yet, cup was filled to the top, I couldn't refuse so me and Andy took turns gulping down the ice water and it was so refreshing! I told the guy I owe him one he said it's cool then drove off. So off to Modjeska peak we went fireroad gets tuff there to but I was determined to make it to the top. On the way to Modjeska you see Santiago peak in the distance. That will be for another day.
    20170411_124858.jpg
    So once we start climbing up the fireroad that leads to Modjeska peak which is not far from where I took the picture up top. It gets really hard to ride very rocky once again, ride hab, ride hab" finally making it to the top it was a relief. Pic 2 prove it.IMG_0613.jpg
    At this point I was ready for some downhill. So Andy suggested to take Modjeska singletrack which drops you off at 4 corners. To my surprise again starts off really rocky but this time I'm riding down=Fun, after a while it gets a little bit smoother with some branches overhead so you are just riding bent over really low but manageable, finally singletrack gets really tight a bit rocky then you get dumped out right before 4 corners. You can tell somebody did some trail maitanance clearing the brush on the sides of the singletrack, doesn't look like it gets a lot of traffic but still a fun option riding back down.Total milage 19mi. 3718ft. Next stop Santa Monicas.

Mikie, bvader, Andy and 19 others like this.
  7. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I finally got and road Cheese burger looking for wild flowers, I was not fast but I got back from the Shepards "T"to the bike in my truck in 15 minutes. I did not delay since Cheeseboro is haunted and I was the last one out after dark. Also I had no lights
    Happy cheese trails

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    It's Tuesday and Tuesday is a ride night. Tuesday means Oaks....So I went somewhere else instead.

Got an invite to join a spin up to Old Camp. Really wasn't sure what I was going to do for a ride. Well, I decided to join.

Met up at a friend's place. Pace wasn't fast....in fact I rode the #2 and #3 place in line of 3 of us. We just cruised. The ride to the Luge seemed extra long today. Once past the Luge, the ride actually seemed shorter. Jeremy burped his back tire on the way up to Old Camp, so he pumped it up before we headed back down. By the time we got to Cadillac, he was low again. That is when he noticed that there was air leaking from the sidewall. Shook the Stan's around and it sealed. While I was looking at it, found that he had cut the sidewall. "Mechanic J" appeared and saw that his near new Ardent was TR but not EXO.....friends don't let friends ride non EXO tires.

Well it held the rest of the way down. At the Luge, I wanted extra credit, so I too STT back to Modjeska. Jeremy and Josh headed down the Luge. We were in a race to see who got back to Jeremy's first. They beat me by about 1 minute. I could see them just ahead at the top of Ridgeline as I was 2/3rd's the way up.

Fun times out there.

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice... Except for the non-EXO tire. What was he thinking???? That's as bad as taking a non-EXO Ikon out to Palm Canyon. :whistling:

10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode my bike to tater mountain and back. 18 miles , 3000 elevation.

11. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Cheese dip, that makes six in a row, now I rest
    Happy empty trails

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I MIGHT try a gentle rode ride tomorrow to see if spinning will stretched out my back.

Ooops, wrong thread! :D;)

Mikie, Cornholio and Faust29 like this.
  13. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Got two rides in today. Dawn patrol Whiting coffee ride before work this morning with a few friends. Just the usual Whiting loop. Did a quick Aliso run after work on the hardtail. Perfect weather. I'm loving these longer days!

Four Corners Sunrise
    IMG_4321.JPG

A few pics from Aliso
    IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4331.JPG

14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    We'll give you a pass, considering the injuries...

We rode tonight... The usual Maple-Motorway loop. One of us got the bright idea to put a smaller cog on the back and play "He-Man". It hurt, and I was regretting it by the end of the pavement at mile 3. But we kept turning the pedals and made pretty good time to Four Corners. And then we made really good time across Main Divide, and were flirting with a PR for the loop. We were at the top of Motorway headed down in under 2 hours...

It's like jinxing a no hitter in baseball... We talked about the PR and rolled through the gate at Motorway without stopping. Yep. I flatted the rear tire. Maybe it's time to go a little heavier in the rear and ditch the 600 gram race tires. :whistling: This makes two flats recently in the center of the tread. :thumbsdown: @mtnbikej did most of the fixing, and we got underway pretty quickly. We were still fast enough to make it down with a little daylight left.

Nice night up there... It was sunny and clear for most of the ride. And then we ran into a cloud 1/2 mile before Motorway. The temp dropped into the 40s, and visibility dropped. You never know what you're going to get up there... :thumbsup:

Mikie, kioti, Cisco Roots and 14 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yup....Weds. night Maple Springs to Motorway.

I'll admit when the ride started, I wasn't sure I was gonna make it to 4 Corners let alone Motorway.....yeah, the legs felt very heavy and tired. Since someone put a harder gear on his bike, he learned quickly that you have to ride faster to turn that bigger gear over. So the pace a little quicker than usual. We did make a good pace/time to 4 Corners....including a sprint at the top. That was the first point in which my legs felt good.

We continued the quick pace over to Motorway. Still getting slippery out there. Cleaned the big climb after Bedford.

We were doing well......well at least until I found myself pedaling back up Motorway to find Mr. Flat Tire.

I didn't bring a light tonight since I figured we had enough daylight. With the clouds rolling in and the flat, our daylight window got pretty small.

IMG_2718.JPG

Mikie, PATKOUG, RS VR6 and 14 others like this.
  16. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike yesterday. Was trying to coordinate a ride at golden eagle with Armando (E-I) but the plan fell through.
    So after waiting and watching the morning hours burn away, I headed out on my own.
    Millard campground to sunset 2x was on my mind but my riding window narrowed so instead of doing two loops I headed to the ruins at Echo mountain. Chatted with the hikers for a bit and headed back up the connector to the top of sunset and back down the chunkfest to Millard.

https://www.relive.cc/view/939559772

IMG_0612.JPG

Mikie, kioti, Postal Pat and 17 others like this.
  17. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    Even though I went to sleep too late last night I still got up and rode my bike today. Albeit a little later than I had intended to.

My original plan was to take Skyline up to Main Divide, then come down Eagle Rd. When I got to the trail head my legs were felt flat so I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish the loop in time to pick my son up from school. I told myself that if I was able to make it to the Doppler by 1100 that I would have to keep going. As luck would have it, I reached the Doppler by 1057 and just kept on rolling by. It definitely wasn't my best day climbing, and I got off my bike more than I would have liked, but was able to finish the loop 30 minutes faster than the 1st time I rode it (though I'm sure most of that was not stopping ever 5 minutes to make sure I was still on the right path).

It ended up being a good day on the bike, and I was glad to get out there. Main Divide wasn't nearly as bad as I remember from my first foray. I feel like had I been feeling better, I'm sure that I could get by with a lot less walking. Interestingly enough, of late I've been feeling a lot better climbing out of the saddle. I've found that on extended climbs that my hips tend to get really tight when I sit and spin, and that climbing out of the saddle in a higher gear helps alleviate that. Now If only I could convince my mind that it's OK to keep pushing my legs when they get tired rather than defaulting into a bailout gear.

2017-04-13 (1).png
    IMG_20170413_100535.jpg
    IMG_20170413_115708.jpg
    PANO_20170413_122006.jpg

doublewide, Fanatic, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  18. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Got out for a short evening ride at Aliso with a friend, and had a great ride. Took him down 5 Oaks and Car Wreck for his first time, and he survived! He cleaned 5 Oaks and cleaned Car Wreck until the last steep rocky section before the car, which he attempted to tripod and ended up walking. No shame in that for his first time. He even cleaned the rock step up line in the middle of Rock-it for his first time. It's cool taking someone newer to the sport and watching them do things they've never done before.:thumbsup:

For me, it was a fun casual ride where everything was just working. The bike was silent and felt smooth and fast ... still stoked on the new tires ... enjoying some fresh new gloves after retiring some old, holey ones. I even got to break-in my new elbow pads on their first ride with an OTB at the bottom of Car Wreck. I cleaned all the hard stuff, then relaxed a little too soon and stuffed the front wheel right into a rock next to the car, just after the last little ledge drop. Kind of leapfrogged the bars, tucked and rolled, so no damage done.

Got back to the cars just as the sun was setting ... 11 miles & 2,000' ... just wish we had more daylight! Couldn't have asked for a better ride ... except maybe for the OTB part.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Thursday Black Star social ride with @mtnbikej, Jeremy and Josh... chilly on the way up, chilly on the way down, and lots of riders out tonight. Single speeds, Yetis, hardtails, :poop:-bikes, hikers, a group of teens from Corona playing on the first single track, and a lot of smiles... :thumbsup:

17 miles and 2300 feet.

Mikie, kioti, bvader and 11 others like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That's a pretty tough selection of trails if your friend is new to the sport. Sounds like he is a natural. I thought @Cougar caught on quick when he started!

And I agree. It is very gratifying bringing someone relatively new to the sport to a higher level. I've had the good fortune to do that a lot, and they always surpass me in a year. :bang: :oops: :thumbsup:

Glad you didn't get hurt on your OTB. I always struggle with the section near the car, because it's almost always choked with hikers, it's off camber, tight, overgrown and has some odd chunk and little drops within those trees. And, as you said, once you make the little drop above the car at the end of the long rock section, you're pretty much done with the trail - sort of.

Mikie, kioti, Fueledbyex8 and 8 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I like this route. I did it myself this past Winter. There's always hikers to see and chat with at the ruins.

Mikie, Faust29, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Took a ride through Oaks on the RIP demo and had a lot of fun on it. Felt much more "at home" while descending and it pedals just fine going up. With my components it'll feel even better (bars were 760mm vs my 800mm so that alone felt a little different). I played with the suspension some and I know I'll dial it in more on my own rig but right away the extra 25mm in the rear with the piggy back float just felt good and kept me plowing ahead. On the twisty turns going down Yucca the lower BB was noticeable and it really railed on them. Chutes was a blast but I didn't hit the drop fast enough but know that I could launch this thing off it no problem. Stoked to be getting this upgrade with little money involved, now off to go return this and order my new bike!

IMG_1512.JPG

Messing with the suspension settings:
    IMG_1511.JPG

And again:
    IMG_1515.JPG

23. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Copied and pasted from my RR of last night's ride at Brown from the OTB site....

Just another regular night at Brown Mountain? Uh, no. Well, there were the usual suspects, Dale, Carson, Martin, Josh, Alex, Boris, (No Hans) and of course late as always @Luis !!

Ride pace up the mountain was chit chat. Carson recovering from back issues and Alex was sick as a dog. Josh, Martin, Dale and Boris hammered up to the top before the rest of us started riding.

Temps were perfect and we stopped a few times to regroup. We caught Luis way below climbing as fast as he could to catch up to us and Martino and I started yelling El Salvadorean expletives at him to throw him off his game LOL!

Once we regrouped at the Brown saddle, we said our goodbye to Dale and we all made our way to the KB saddle. It was dark by the time we reached the top. After a few mins of smack talking and Carson taking an EPIC pic of the group we all made our down. Luis took off! Dust flying which is hard to follow at night cuxz you can't see crap but dust being illuminated by the lights. He stopped up ahead to snap pics of us coming down. I passed him and found a spot further down to do the same. Martino and Josh come rolling by me, then suddenly noone else came. WTH? Figured something was wrong so I rode back up to see what the deal was. Turns out Carson got a flat, thankfully noone crashed which is what I suspected might have happened as well. We all rode down to the saddle, nice pace, just enjoying the single track and city lights in the distance, BLISS!

Once all at the saddle, again Luis takes off feeding us his dust! I did my best to follow and had a couple of close calls with the ruts and was challenged with the overgrowth to see the trail. As I turned a corner, what did I see? Luis was layed out on the trail. He hit a rut and took a dive. There were little birdies circling his head. He looked dazed. Tried to get him up and his legs looked like they were going to give. His only concern was the state of his bike, a true mountain biker haha! His back tire caught a flat, so we all pitched in to fix it. Everyone busted out their tools and supplies to come up with a solution. Josh even shoved Martino aside who almost fell off the trail to help out LOL! Some CO2 did the trick and we were on our way. After all this, guess who took off first, LUIS what the heck? After crashing?

The ride down El P was awesome. Probably the slowest time any of us have ever done but also pbly one of the funnest as well. Everyone made it back safe and in one piece.

Not a typical night on Brown, surely a memorable one. OTB Night rides are the best!

Pic courtesy of Carson
    OTB's Brown Mountain 4.13.17.jpg

IMG_4795[1].JPG

IMG_4800[1].JPG

IMG_4786[1].JPG

IMG_4802[1].JPG

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I was on the Blackstar Social w/ @Faust29 Jeremy and Josh.

Much colder when I got there than anticipated. However once moving it didn't seem to bad.

This was Day 6 in a row and my legs were pretty fried. Three of us pulled away as soon as the climb started. Shortly after passing through Hidden Ranch my legs went missing. Made it to the top, not fast...actually it was pretty ugly.

For as slow as I was going up.....the pace was pretty quick coming back down. Jockeying for position out front.

Climbing out of Hidden Ranch hurt. About 1/2 miles from the pavement I lost my legs for good. It was a painful spin back to the Tree Farm.

Fun ride with the guys....lots of Sh!t talk being flung about.

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Some good shots there! Way to go, Carson.. whoever you are. ;)

26. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    That was fun hahaha.... OUCH :confused:

27. Severum

Severum Member

Name:
    Tyson
    Current Bike:
    2016 Yeti SB5.5
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Bless you, my son!

Faust29 and Severum like this.
  29. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Yep I rode today but since this isn't an all dirt singletrack chunkfest I'm posting it here and @Mikie can move it if he wants. Lately everything in life (work, wind, work etc) has been interfering the relationship me and my bike(s) have going on. Slept in and couldn’t decide what I wanted to do. Thought about golden eagle but didn’t feel like driving and it’s not as fun by yourself, then Tapia but that would be too easy and the damn tall grass just ruins the flow. Decided to ride from home over to Metryville which is is small little frozen in time little oil strike town from the 1880’s that has been turned in to a historical landmark. Hadn’t been there before and probably should have mapped this out ahead of time cuzz I got lost a couple times and it was way farther than I had imagined with more blacktop than I thought. The climbing once at Mentryville is no joke. Strava says its like a 8% grade but thats complete and total bullsh!t as my Garmin never showed less than 10 and mostly 15+% the whole way. This hurt as I was already 20+ miles into the ride. Thought about turning around but then remembered all those poor suckers out doing the Pioneer town ride and how bad that hurt last year so I soldiered on. Bottom bracket was hating life today so I took little detour over to the shop to try and clean & shoot some triflow in there to shut it up and forge on. This helped a little but she’s still toast.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 3.16.28 PM.jpg

Once at Mentryville things started getting scenic even though the climbing sucked...
    IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

While today was mostly a mixed bag of fireroad & blacktop there was this haha…
    IMG_5655.jpg

Things were going well till I couldn’t see the damn snake that was rattling so I decided to turn around here…
    IMG_5659.jpg

Would I do it again? Sure but only with a riding partner or I’d stage somewhere a heck of a lot closer than Castaic...

30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Paging @Mikie somehow I got pics below the end of the RR that I can't seem to get rid of...