I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    pls 'splain life flashing....

pls don't 'splain what people are thinking, can't splain an absence of thought.

mike, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Carol
    Splained in the post above his: :thumbsup:

I Rode My Bike Today...

mike, bvader, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Put time in at the temple, even though I really wanted to go and take a nap.
    33711817342_fa404328d6_b.jpg

33868214925_2fdd0293db_b.jpg

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Perhaps you guys should start an OC chapter of the pit fire people lynch mob? We need a little population control just about everywhere these days.

mike and Faust29 like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er

Lets just go whole hog...quit pussyfooting around. Draw and quarter, then burn the entrails of, anyone lighting an unauthorized fire. Alles ist in Ordnung! In obeisance to the state lies freedom! Etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Sorry, grumpy about the idiocy of the CA state legislature. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

6. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I rode a little used trail last night with a helmet lamp. The underbrush is so thick I could not really find the trail and almost went off a few times. One sharp corner the laurel sumac had pretty much took out the tread so I had to lean into it and drop into the chute blind. The foliage is soft since it is new, but the margin of error was narrow ~6" on each side and a major penelty for violating the edges.
    Today I found out that I have a new neighbor.
    Happy overgrown trails

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 7.52.40 PM.png

7. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode my Second LCWP Post Work no Light Ride. Slayed Lizard then proceeded to put in 3 Half A$$ed wimpy attempts at "That Corner" on Camarillo. There are 2 lines now, clear case of thinking too much! and too much Climbing and that Road Ride!! Crap! But I followed my Solo rule 3 and out..nice night to ride so can't complain.

8. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I took a Luge Virgin on the Luge this AM. It was still the luge and it is still excellent fun.
    Still COLD taking off from cooks at 6:45am
    Overgrowth is worse than 2 weeks ago :( and became problematic for another rider causing a fall about 1/3 way down luge
    I PR'd just about every section. so even having 2.4's and being 40lbs over weight I am ticking away at proggress

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Thursday night social spin up Blackstar. Big group of 7 of us tonight.

2 ended up turning back early. 3 of us pulled out in front and made it to the top, then turned back for extra credit and finished up with another climb back to Beeks'.

Temps were much nicer last night than last week. Stopped just above the turn into the canyon to help another rider out with a flat. He had no tube, no pump and a 2" nail in his back tire. So we gave him a tube, and I changed it.

Ran into some old friends we hadn't seen in years out there.

Fun ride out there.

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Today I rode......wait for it....my patented Super FLoop. :eek:

I had much fun, did most of the extra credit - I'm still not sure how to get through the off menu stuff behind a certain water tank. I will need a guide for that, and lack of local law enforcement. :cool:

Fun meter was pegged the entire time.

upload_2017-4-7_11-35-32.png

11. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Fear the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer, but don't worry about the Bulldozers.

Docs (and wife) gave me a little leeway, so I got on some dirt, first time in a month. Easiest ride I could think of nearby, up the pavement from El Toro past Cooks to the the horse stables, back down through Whiting and Edison. Nothing remarkable, didn't puke or crash, just very weak and slow, now sore.

A couple things I ran across that weren't there last time. It just seems incredibly ironic and contradictory.

From the ridge in Whiting you can see orange construction fence across Santiago Canyon Rd from the stables, with a dozer doing it's thing. Not sure if this will be multi-unit housing or just a couple of mansions... anyone know? Thought I saw comments on this before but can't find. Anyway, STT on the 2nd ridge back is in national forest so it can't go too much farther, hoping.

IMAG2140.jpg

Then, a mile or so away in Whiting "wilderness park".... trapping rogue beetles. Something just doesn't seem right...
    IMAG2148.jpg
    IMAG2150.jpg

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Knuckles in the wild...sounds good!!!!!! Congrats, buddy :thumbsup:

13. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    wow.. what do you think that is baby bobcat?

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  14. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I think its time for us to meet..... I'll be at CC.. on a Kona.. Asian dude suffering....

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Glad to hear you're out there. That is one hell of a trap for what I assume is a rather small insect...holy batsh!t, ratman!!! The low bidder on that supply contract must have connections.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I may...repeat, may, be heckling at the top of Motorway or 4C. What number did you end up with?

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  17. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    After having been a week away, we rode El Moro (for a change ;-) on my a day off :). Fenceline 1st, then Lizard, upper Laurel, Bommer Ridge, down Old Emerald (which was in the best shape I've seen it in a long time), back up, then Fenceline back to the park. The mustard is as high as it has been, quite a pretty sight. Taco's and beer in Javier's after :thumbsup: (ok showered first..)

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I road my bike today. Yes, I did a pavement ride but my rig is not quite a roadie, and not quite a mountain bike. I did ride around in the foothills. My whatevertheheckitis does have disc brakes and it is set up 1x and it has a flat bar, so I'm gonna put the report here. :p

Headed out into nice riding temps and a bit of breeze, which either hurt or helped depending on which way I was going. Cruised the twisty, flowing oak grove lined back roads of La Canada and headed over to the Rose Bowl. Did one loop then cut across the 210 and headed over to JPL where I turned onto the Arroyo Seco paved road and took that up to the Brown Mountain trail head (fire road). Decided it wouldn't be wise to continue so that's where I did an about face and headed back into La Canada. Stopped on the Devil's Gate dam along the way and then cut across the 210 to hit those wonderful oak grove lined back roads. Passed by Descanso Gardens coming and going. Short ride, but sweet. Road wheels/tires/weights are so easy to spin. Makes any rider feel like Superman. :cool:

19.95 miles
    1:26:06
    1152' elevation gain
    1173 calories

IMG_0835.JPG

19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I have a ride already set up for that bike...bring it along.

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  20. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    no this one was born in Feb on the side of Boney. Its mom goes north to the top of space where it has been dining on sheep and alpaca, no kills during March, but I bet it was her. My plan is when you hear the chaparral explode- leave quickly. Cute little cub, it will be out cruising the mountians near Los Robles trail soon enough.
    Happy bottom of the food chain trails

Faust29 and SnakeCharmer like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    That same picture was posted on the news the other night. Cute lil cub!

Faust29 likes this.
  22. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider

I am afraid it is true what you see: development of the Saddle Crest neighborhood has started

https://www.facebook.com/Save-Santiago-Canyon-291497894276110/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

65 big houses, destroying the beauty of the canyon. Despite years of fighting by good people, people who care about the lands, this is going through. Obviously building 65 villas will do nothing against the housing shortage in OC. Better zoning and MORE regulation to build affordable housing on the flat lands actually would.

It could have been worse though: original Irvine Company plans had the whole west side of Santiago Canyon, around Irvine Lake, plastered with McMansions. Only admirable fighting by environmentalists brought it to a halt. That is why you can enjoy Black Star Canyon now. And ride OTH races.

Saddle Crest wont hit the STT, but it will get close.

Very sad.

Cornholio, Faust29, MattB and 6 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That sucks....really sucks.

@DangerDirtyD pointed this one out last year....now they are breaking ground on the largest community in Corona at the bottom of Bedford Canyon:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...y-Hosts-Groundbreaking-Event-Corona’s-Largest

24. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Awwwwww.... :(

Cornholio, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  25. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Rode my bike today At Mt. Zion with Cisco, Oscar, Kurt, 2 Roberts and Deem. Showing some newbs, new dirt and the boulder roll! Boyah!

26. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Decided to ride pure road for a change. I think I liked it:eek:.

Just my basic bonelli loop starting from incycle.

IMG_0142.PNG

27. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I rode in San Pedro. Took so many overgrown flowers to the face. I'm almost kind of missing the heat to kill the overgrowth.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Just a run-of-the-mill Whiting-Luge-Whiting lap with three friends (@Danimal plus Scott and Jose - not on IMTB). So much fun! Bike is running silent and everything's working perfectly. Switched back to my freshly-serviced Marzocchi fork - friggin' awesome!! My DVO is a good fork, but it just doesn't do what the Marz does when the speeds increase in choppy or chunky conditions. Cheating.

Someone took out one of my favorite drops, however. There used to be a 2 1/2' drop on the left turn exiting the "luge-iest" section of The Luge (the section that feels a little like a tunnel). It's gone. :( Oh well, the rest of it is still fantastic! Plenty of other little drops and kickers, lefts and rights, berms and mild chunk.

Great day out there with stellar company! Bikes are fun! :thumbsup:

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I had somewhat of a disappointing ride today but I am not complaining because I did get out there and away from civilization. Decided to stay local and check out Doc Larson ST as I had originally planned.

Parked in Sunland on Oro Vista and grinded up and into Riverwood Ranch. Just as I was about to hop over the side railing and onto the fire road, I was met by a friendly local named Art. He asked me if I ride up there often. The community up there wants to further develop the surrounding land that is privately owned into a multi-use trail system. It's primarily equestrian riders up there. Art believes that if any development is to take place, it should be open to all forms of use (accept motorized vehicles). It was nice to meet someone who is actually for mountain biking in that area. This is something that @Luis should know about in case he knows anyone who may want to get involved (it's local to his area). I will share the news with my LBS in Montrose also.

So on with the RR. I climbed the fire road up toward the trail head. Major overgrowth and lots of wildflowers and lots of butterflies and lots of fuzzy black caterpillars about the place. The trail looked great at first but before long, it was completely blinded from view by overgrowth. Other than one set of bike tires and a few equestrian hoof prints, I'd say nobody has been there in a while. The first half of the trail was more rideable than not, the second half had lots of HAB to get through damaged sections. There is signs of repair work being done though. Anyway, I missed the turn off to get up on the fire road at the other end of the trail so I had to do a back track loop. But I got back on track and that's where the climbing gets gnarly. I would estimate an average of 20-25% grade for most of the way up to the top but once you are up there, it's fairly flowy. I encountered two sets of equestrian riders, both verbally showed appreciation for my moving off the path and stopping while they passed. I was planning to hit Rattlesnake ST on the way back into Riverwood Ranch but sadly, it's gone. If you didn't know where it carved along the hillside, you would never know it was there. Bummer, because it was a fun trail to ride. So, back I went onto the fire road to end the trip. A little more climbing and then mostly down and out. As you can see by the amount of pics, I stopped to smell the roses quite frequently. In fact, the entire ride was slow paced (I kept it in granny gear) and mentally relaxing. I even stopped and cleared off a section of trail that was littered with babyheads.

11.21 miles
    1:42:17 ride time
    1969' elevation gain
    921 calories

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Hey, where's the ride report from the Silver Moccasin group ride today??? o_O

Luis and Cornholio like this.