I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Two weeks off and it feels like starting over. Standard fare at my local spot, but man did I struggle. Thought I was gonna have to stop on Cholla, heart racing. Could be the lingering effects of sedation last Monday, and cold medicine this week, but I usually struggle on the first substantial climb of the day regardless. Mathis to ToW went a little better from a heart perspective, but very lethargic and again, almost had to stop, but didn't.

Someone decided to spice up Meadows a little and built a few kickers on the top portion of the trail. They looked and felt awkward - the perfect blend for the awkward drainage humps a certain LCF trail worker installed recently. The trail was pretty slick, with the dirt forming ball bearings on the turns. Still mighty fun, despite the not-hero dirt.

1900' 14.9 miles. 73 smiles and 78 grimaces. Gotta flip that ratio around. Bikes are fun - even with a creaking rear derailleur.

2. ebenke

ebenke Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Everett Benke
    Current Bike:
    Intense Carbine 29er
    I got in a few more miles today, sore as hell from those compression drops. I'm getting old. Thank goodness for Advil!

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Grego and 6 others like this.
  3. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Mr. Maple Springs to Motorway reporting post Duty. unfortunately I need to report that this Loop is no longer in exceptional state, status has been reduced to good to fair.

The gate was open today and also almost every moto and driver was very considerate, I was lucky when I was done there was like 6 monster trucks speeding up Maple Springs. Maple Springs is already getting dry Dusty and a bit beat up by The Cars I suspect there will be epic epic epic bugs over the next couple weeks to months, and the main divide is already dried getting dusty and torn up etcetera. The Motorway was still in decent condition and I certainly enjoyed the ride. I got a late start after having to hang out and like The Big Bang Theory group up to buy Comic Con tickets I did get in so that started day off good but the riding started late.

I would be remiss to say it was another beautiful day in Southern California although there was already a bit of a brown Haze and the allergy levels are picking up but I definitely enjoy the wildflowers and The Greenery I'll trade it for that.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Tagged along on the first part of @Faust29 and @singlespeedrider 's Double Motorway ride. I did the B* to Motorway part. Man that is a blast! Although I have to admit to a couple of "Oh Sh!t" moments on Motorway. It's a bit rockier & looser than last time I rode it. :eek: And Steve did his usual great guide work. :thumbsup:

At the start I wasn't sure how far I'd get - only had two hours sleep last night and wasn't feeling that hot for the first half of Black Star. After that, though, I felt pretty good and plowed through.

We had another rider along with us, but I don't think he's on the forum yet. Great to ride with, hope to do so again.

Almost no one out today...:rolleyes:
    20170312_092946.jpg

This is why I ride in the mountains:
    20170312_102217.jpg

And it's kind of a lot of climbing in a short distance. Almost 4,300 feet in under 17 miles. From Tree Farm to top of Motorway on Main Divide.
    20170312_110044.jpg

Well worth the effort!!

upload_2017-3-12_13-24-19.png

5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    A fabulous day in Cleveland National Forest, OC, if a bit warm in late AM. HJ/Joplin/Luge. Few trail users seen before the Luge – two jeeps on MD, two motos up Upper Joplin, two hikers and one rider on STT. This, mind you, is on a weekend day with perfect weather. Oh yes, SoCal is so crowded... :sneaky:

I got my Friday ride in today :unsure:, and checked out a Hightower. Cursory impressions here: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/27-5-santa-cruz-hightower.5824/

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Yep... As @Runs with Scissors said above, we rode the Black Star to Motorway loop with @singlespeedrider and his friend, Galen. Nice social pace, cool temps for the most part with a few warmer spots. Great views and conversation...

I see a Golf Ball
    IMG_2847.jpg

Irvine Lake
    IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

Lone Oak...
    IMG_2856.jpg

Scissors on Motorway
    IMG_2862.jpg

After Motorway, we rolled back to the cars for a bottle refill, and @singlespeedrider and I set out for the Maple Springs to Motorway loop. As mike hints in another post, the gates are open. They have been closed since November, and it has been heaven. The entire mountain range to ourselves... Yeah, not anymore. The bottom of Maple Springs looked like Disneyland parking.

And then the wheels came off... From a comfy 72 across Main Divide in the first loop to a scorching 90 on the Maple Springs pavement. I went through 2 bottles on the first lap- 26 miles. Then I used 1.5 bottles on the 3 miles of pavement... At which point Mark and I sort of looked at each other and decided on a mutual bailout.

Rolling back down the pavement was a blast... Because at this point, the ride was over and we didn't care about getting wet. Into all the water crossings at 25-30 mph! It felt really nice... :thumbsup:

Even with the bailout, it was still a 33 mile ride with 5500 feet. :thumbsup:

7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I was wondering what happened...o_O

Still a great ride. I, for one, had a great time. :thumbsup:

Mikie, pperrelle, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I had a great time in the first loop, and then we baked!

We probably could have put the wheels back on the bus, but I used too much of my water just getting back to the dirt. Poor planning on my part...

Mikie, pperrelle, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Holy underwear, I was thinking about you fellers over there and wondering. Good call cutting short the madness! Follow conditions! Nice ride :thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot, pperrelle and 3 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    This is where @mtnbikej pops in and tells us to start at 3:30!

mtnbikej, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    7am start this morning for IRC ride in Fremont Canyon. 2200 feet of climbing for 12 miles, but most of the climbing was at the start. Fremont Canyon is truely unspoilt. I'd definitely recommend people to sign up for these rides. It is free, all volunteers and the areas definitely do feel like wilderness.

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Ummm, yeah. No!!:whistling: It was quite cold enough at 7:30.

Mikie, DBMX119, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I got in a couple of good rides this weekend. Friday while making my pickup rounds I ran into a buddy of mine. He just started riding again and asked if I was doing anything on Saturday. I said yes I am but nothing planned. He asked if he could tag along and I said sure. We were going to stay local but at the last minute I decided to go to Dos Vientos. Local is okay but too many people with headsets or are on their phones. The only part that bothers me is that when my bell startles them they get upset with me. Dos Vientos is generally empty however Saturday there was a group of about 20 hikers. They were friendly and we only ran across them once. I think this was my buddy Ty's fourth ride this year. He did pretty good. He was hurting towards the end but was a real trooper and had a smile on his face the whole time. We ended up with 16.4 miles and 2106'. 20170311_101630-1612x1209.jpg

Today I was going to head over to my local spot but at the last minute decided to head over to Rocky Peak instead. I guess it's local as well. I did a Chivo Loop, climbed Las Llajas up to Seashells then headed over to Johnson. I descended Johnson almost to the bottom then turned around and climbed back up. I then headed over to Chumash for my final descent. Apparently I haven't had the Jet on the Chivo Loop yet. I PR'd every segment and got a 3rd overall on the final descent. Surprisingly I got a 4th overall on the Seashells descent. I say surprisingly because I was literally just cruising everything today. I guess when you are relaxed you go faster? I think I saw three MTBers and two runners today and the weather was incredible. Ended up with 19.3 miles and 3299'. Another beautiful day. 20170312_095635-1612x1209.jpg 20170312_103928-2016x1512.jpg 20170312_104129-1612x1209.jpg 20170312_104622-1612x1209.jpg 20170312_105751-2016x1512.jpg 20170312_105806-2016x1512.jpg 20170312_110002-2016x1512.jpg 20170312_111152-2016x1512.jpg 20170312_112830-1612x1209.jpg

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

I would have been ok with 3:45 or may sleep in and start at 4:00. :whistling:

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  15. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    With the time change a 7:30 start was tough enough.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Reverse night rides to beat the heat!

I had an uneventful commute to and from the shop....

Mikie, Cisco Roots, mike and 3 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I heard that Johnson was sanitized about a year or so ago. How was it today? I sure did like it before but I wonder how it is now, comparatively?

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I haven't ridden it in two or three years but it appears to be the same as it always has been. I don't know how you would sanitize all the rocks?

Mikie and SnakeCharmer like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    A friend of mine said that a front loader went through there and scraped/moved/broke away much of the top layer of rocks, but mostly on the lower half of the trail. I realize that the upper half was always the fun part and he did say that sanitizing did not go all the way up. Perhaps all the rain we got this Winter roughed it up a bit?

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  20. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I celebrated the first day of Daylight Savings by going on an evening ride on the STT. Started at 6:00pm and rode out to the Luge and back. I've always loved riding in the evening and tonite was no exception..perfect temps, just a few riders and the moon cresting the horizon as I rolled back home.

21. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Rode El Prieto and Ken Burton today with Vince and Bobby. New dirt for Vince and I. Started at the JPL trail head then up Fern. Down El Pieto was a blast. Nice chunky flow with small drops of FUN! Up Fern again but this time all the way to the saddle. Great views. Down KB was also a blast. Except my rear brake was fading like crazy. Oh yeah, I forgot to look into new brakes since last time it faded. Along with a new shock, hub ... yep my bike is getting worn out. Thanks to all who have done trail work on keeping KB alive. Very cool single track. Out of KB we took the wash back down to JPL. At one point Vince says, " My Garmin is gone! "We looked at some pictures we'd been snapping and determined that the Garmin was the last picture which was taken within the last mile or so. Vince and I went back on foot to cover our tracks while Bobby stayed with the bikes. Figured it came off during some bush whacking but I found it laying in a wide open area right after a stream crossing. Amazing. Stopped by the Brown Mtn. dam then out. What a cool day. Need to get out there more often.

Bownn3.jpg

Brown1.jpg

brown5.jpg

Brown2.jpg

22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Outstanding! :thumbsup:

Mikie, Tom the Bomb and Grego like this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That area is my local stomping grounds. Glad you guys were able to ride it in such good conditions.
    Bet you got your switchback practice in!

This spring is supposed to be when trail work begins to reconnect the Gabrielino from the bottomof KB to Switzers. Some epic combos can be ridden that way.

24. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I finally got back out on the bike this morning after a rough week. Met up with a friend to ride Santiago Oaks (along with half of OC), and wasn't disappointed. Green hills, flowers blooming, sunny and perfect temps, felt strong on the bike after a week off, and great company. The riding was nothing unusual, but it was exactly what I needed and felt like the perfect ride.

25. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I did ride my bike today. It was hot, and like some of you my loop included TNA, which was my first TNA since circa 2007

IMG_6732.PNG

26. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I live in Ladera and am interested in the route over to SC Also

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    So it sounds like early starts and bug nets will be mandatory for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup::thumbsdown:

Climbing Maple Springs after Blackstar/Motorway is never easy....the wheels always fall off here, but it is how you manage those wheels that will allow you to continue on or not. Kinda sounds like yesterday was a good day to not manage them and call it a day.

28. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ^^That paved part of Maple Springs can be an oven on a warm day.

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I kept thinking about the death march a couple weeks ago, and how I actually felt better on the pavement than on the Black Star- Motorway loop. Yesterday... Not so much. And it hit us quickly. We had a pretty comfortable social pace to Motorway with cool temps and a breeze. So we rushed down to the cars for the bottle refill and took off quickly. Then it was like someone opened the oven door.

Might there be another unofficial aid station at Four Corners on VQ day? If there's not, and we have similar temps, I'm going to need three bottles to get to the peak. Yesterday could have been salvaged, but not with the amount of liquid I went through getting to the dirt.

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I would plan on taking a 3rd bottle.

But event day you will have started 1.5 hours earlier, and the pace will most likely be a little quicker.

Mikie, DBMX119, kioti and 2 others like this.