I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Yeah, Suz was stoked about nailing Cliffhanger when we saw you at the top of Deer. I was taking flower photos when you two popped up around the corner. Most people are wheezing, huffing and puffing but you two were chit-chatting up the last climb.

IMG_0384.JPG

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Yep... That unit of measure was coined a long time ago in this very thread. :thumbsup:

Post #229 to be exact...

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well, by the time I figured it out you were gone!
    Green Bronson right?

4. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Ha Ha. I get that totally. :) Yup I was riding the green machine yesterday.

5. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Here's what we did
    Hey Faust29, here's the route we took https://www.strava.com/activities/887840524. Hope the link works. Basically Ladera, crossed over Ortega to San Juan Hills, crossed the bridge on La Pata and dropped in at Talega. Rode some trails I didn't even know existed.

6. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    I rode at El Moro on Sunday with some friends. We had a goal of hitting 5,000 feet, which is A LOT for us. We started off with a fun run down Lizard. On the way up Laurel , the new chain decided it didn't want to play nice with my old chainring. ugh. I should have seen that coming. The darn chain kept popping off. I finally got it to stick, but I'd have to use it as a single speed the rest of the day. So much for 5,000 feet. We headed over to T&A, which as mentioned a few times here, was in great shape. Although it sucks the rock garden isn't open right now. From T&A we crossed Laguna Canyon and hiked up Stairsteps. Down Rock it, up to 5 oaks, down 5 oaks, up Cholla, down Stairsteps and up Willow. From Willow we dropped Old Emerald which is always a blast. I believe we climbed Emerald Canyon? (I wish they were a little more creative with their trail names there. Too many Emeralds). Fenceline to Ridge Park and back to the cars. My friends were pretty cooked so they headed home. I was still feeling pretty strong so I did a solo lap through Turtle Ridge and Bommer Canyon. Ended with 29 miles and a little over 5,400 feet of climbing. Great ride, especially since I almost called it a day when my chain was acting up.

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Thank you! Next time I'm out exploring that way, I'll give it a try!

kingaucho likes this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Sounds like everybody put out and made the best of any shortcoming. Nice... :thumbsup:

I don't believe I've seen your name here – welcome (belatedly, if I missed your arrival). Hope to share some trailage sometime; I'm in Trabuco foothills like a few others here. Cheers :)

Bryon and mtnbikej like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Doesn't this usually mean you automatically have to climb more? Single speeders are crazy and get off on pain. Or so I've heard. :whistling:

Welcome to the best little forum around... :thumbsup:

Bryon, mike, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  10. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    I've been a longtime lurker, maybe 2nd or 3rd time poster. Thanks for the welcome :)

mike, Cougar and herzalot like this.
  11. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    We did joke around about just leaving it as a single speed. Starting to seriously consider it :thumbsup:

mike and Faust29 like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    With the race coming up this weekend, I decided to just take it easy this week....for the most part.

I figured I would just head out for a quick ride...under 2 hrs. So, a quick spin at the Oaks was what it would be. Met up with my wife half way in. Ran into some other friends shortly after that.

Didn't have any energy, and my legs were just junk.

So anyway, I got out. Temps were great, but it was getting buggy. I'm not looking forward to the next few months.

Screenshot (145).png Screenshot (146).png

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Oh god - another one...o_O You might as well join the other monsters who pound out 5000' - 10,000' like it's a walk to the corner store.

Welcome - you'll find some strong riding companions on this site. And me. :oops:

Luis, Faust29, Severum and 6 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    Had the Santana's to myself today - or so it seemed. Didn't see anybody after I left Maple Springs, along MD or MW. Gorgeous day.

Photo Mar 08, 11 56 39 AM.jpg

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Andy? Andy Andy!

Blame @knucklebuster for that one.

Andy ends at 6:00, followed immediately by Sofa No. 2. <– @Faust29 may enjoy more than most of us : )

16. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Uh, umm, wow, Frank came along from playing the bicycle.... @mike, is that Carlo on the keyboards?

Good ride in the Santana's Andy!

mike, Faust29 and Andy like this.
  17. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Actually on the blackstar side it was busy! Lots of riders. Hikers. One peacock. Two chipmunks. And the snakes r coming out!

mike and Faust29 like this.
  18. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    And still lots of water.. Beautiful out there today.. A bit hot... Blackstar climbing...

mike, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... I rode my bike today with @mtnbikej and the mystery lurker, who ran us down just past the second Mariposa sign. I just didn't ride as far as I had planned! Our Black Star to Motorway loop was shortened to an out and back from Black Star to the Skinsuit Trailhead. Still 20 miles and almost 3000 feet...

My riding comrades chose to turn around with me and roll back down the hill.

Perfect night up there... Too bad it was cut short.

IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2817.JPG

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    As was reported above, I got out last night for the Blackstar to Motorway ride. I showed up, but my legs stayed at home. By the time we were joined a mile from Beeks'....I was already hurting.

Turns out @Faust29 foreshadowing was a good thing. I will neither confirm nor deny that I would or would not have made it across Main Divide.

Good thing we only made it as far the mechanical allowed us to.

21. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Between the hurt shoulder, vacation, working too much and getting sick last week, I've barely got in any saddle time the past few weeks. With the forecast for the afternoon being super, I decided I was going to do my best to get a ride in today. I had a client meeting this afternoon at the corporate office, so I decided to load up the bike and gear and take it with me and head out straight from there if I could. If I come back to the home office, I'd get sucked back to sitting in front of the computer. Well, it worked out! :thumbsup: I decided to get in a quick ride at El Moro. Started at Ridge Park and took the ridge down to Ticketron then hit Rattlesnake to I think I can and back up El Moro to Fenceline back to the park. Only saw a couple other bikes and a hiker or two the entire time. It was eerily quiet out there for such a beautiful afternoon. A few of the trails are pretty beat up and some are way overgrown. It was a good, quick Thursday afternoon run.

Can't beat an ocean view from the trail IMG_4172[1].JPG IMG_4173[1].JPG This is the trail coming up from Deer campground IMG_4174[1].JPG The trail after Rattlesnake almost disapeared IMG_4176[1].JPG

Fueledbyex8, bvader, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  22. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Wow! I've never seen the trail at the end of Rattlesnake that overgrown ... or the ruts at Deer Canyon that big!

23. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    A few friends and I rode Blackstar up to Beek's. For one guy, it was his first time on BSTAR, and first night ride. He'said pretty new to MTB at 55+. Never too late to start.
    Very nice weather, with just a chill in Hidden Ranch.
    Apparently, passed J and Faust near the top as they were heading down and we were heading up. Strava told me so. Can't tell who someone is when it's headlight to headlight.
    Our new guy caught a rut on the descent and went OTB. The bike is fine. (He's OK, too)
    Usually see something odd in BStar. In the dirt flats we saw three tacticool guys hiking in. All three matched with camo, helmets with goggles covered and AR15 looking carbines. Might have been Airsoft, might not.

Faust29, mike, SnakeCharmer and 6 others like this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Quick 20 on the road bike...better than nothing. Beautiful sunrise.

Faust29, mike, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  25. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Short window yesterday after work, so I went for it. Was warm out but not hot. Plants are going INSANE. Bugs too. Put some new brake pads in and now have to chase down a squeak, probably didn't push one of the calipers back far enough. Went metallic instead of resin, need more time testing.

3 9 17 Ride.JPG

Danimal, Faust29, mike and 8 others like this.
  26. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    I finally rode my bike today! Yay

15.whocares miles and 1850' of near heart attacks.

IMG_0483.PNG

This pretty much sums my ride up, no need for words:

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Can I hit the like button 1,000 times? Looks like you hit all the proper buttons for a great ride.:thumbsup:

28. ebenke

ebenke Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Everett Benke
    Current Bike:
    Intense Carbine 29er
    This afternoon I had a nice lap of Aliso, started from home, my wife tagged along. Beautiful trail conditions.

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That was the night we were supposed to go to Motorway, but my pedal had other ideas...

Sasquatch9billion and mtnbikej like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Two weeks off and it feels like starting over. Standard fare at my local spot, but man did I struggle. Thought I was gonna have to stop on Cholla, heart racing. Could be the lingering effects of sedation last Monday, and cold medicine this week, but I usually struggle on the first substantial climb of the day regardless. Mathis to ToW went a little better from a heart perspective, but very lethargic and again, almost had to stop, but didn't.

Someone decided to spice up Meadows a little and built a few kickers on the top portion of the trail. They looked and felt awkward - the perfect blend for the awkward drainage humps a certain LCF trail worker installed recently. The trail was pretty slick, with the dirt forming ball bearings on the turns. Still mighty fun, despite the not-hero dirt.

1900' 14.9 miles. 73 smiles and 78 grimaces. Gotta flip that ratio around. Bikes are fun - even with a creaking rear derailleur.