I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I prefer to think there's nothing worse than Dreaded.:stop:

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I like me some suffering....I actually enjoy suffering. With that said, I have zero interest in climbing Dreaded.

3. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Sneaking the roadie pic in. ;)

20170302_102745-1.jpg

4. shawndoh

shawndoh Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Dreaded is terrible, until you ride climbs MOAR terrible. Canyon Acres, Big Bend....It's all relative.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Thursday Fun Day.....typical cruiser up Blackstar. My slacker wife(her words, not mine) finally made it back up to Beeks'.

Slow pace and a strong breeze. Temps stayed comfortable the whole time. Made it back to the car just at dark.

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Excellent! Which bike did she take?

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    She rode the Banana Boat.

Instagram Link

8. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Ugh! I forgot about Canyon Acres! :gag: The "Angel of Death" strava segment on Canyon Acres has to be one of the best segment names out there.

9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Got in a ride full of mishaps last night. Luckily none of them were dismounts.

Started from Coastal Peak Park, headed to Lizards, which is just so fun to ride right now. A couple funky ruts on the lower section, otherwise just some water here and there, and dry elsewhere.

From there, we climbed back up to Bommer. While we were heading up Laurel Spur my chain kept popping off the cogs, so I did some hiking and spent about 15 frustrating minutes messing with it up on Bommer. Finally got the limits and B screw adjusted. Only thing I can think of is my 2 year old had some fun in the garage with allen wrenches? He does know how to use them...

After I finished hacking about with the derailluer, we headed over to TNA to check out the bulldozed original trail and sample the new upper section. Here's the only picture I got. It does not do justice to the work done. I was shocked at the amount of earth moved around.

TNA Top Small.JPG

The rerouted top section is funky. I don't know how else to describe it. Water bars galore, often placed in awkward spots. You can boost some of them, but not all of them. You've just got to ride it to understand.

About halfway down, on the very steep section right after the meadow, my front brake went full crazy. Not spongey, but not not spongey, not really stopping me, screeching. Thought maybe I had cooked the pad or rotor or brake fluid. Wasn't sure, but not much I could do so I gave it a rest then prayed on the bottom rocky section. Cleaned the whole thing, it's in very good shape right now (Trailmix has been doing maintenance down here, from what I understand). Now is a good time to go ride TNA, top funkiness notwithstanding. From there, we took Stagecoach South back to Willow. We toyed with going up Big Bend, but after reading the above, I'm pretty glad we didn't (I despise Canyon Acres). Willow sucked, my calf cramped, beers at the cars did not suck.

Got home, pulled my front wheel and brake pads, and found the culprit of my braking woes:

Worn Brake Pad.JPG

Ok, that was probably too much for an I Rode My Bike Today, but, there you go.
    3 2 17 Ride.JPG

10. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Finally managed to get out of work at a good time yesterday (have done too many 13-14hr days recently, and that is not good).
    rode up to El Moro from home and did a quick spin around Muddy Canyon, back via the fancy neighborhood. Muddy canyon trail was completely overgrown! I saw 2 runners going up (I never see people there) and they already had a look on their face "what is he doing". Anyway it was fun and good amount of climbing total (1800ft for 10 miles)

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

That's funny.....that's how my pads looked at the bottom of Motorway the other night.

12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    @rossage warned us about brakepad and drivetrain wear in winter conditions.

Riverside Sycamore Cyn sunrise haunt with Ray. Clockwise loop today. 9 miles, 1,100', good morning.

13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    They don't work too well like that, huh?

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    High temps forecast yesterday cast a shadow of doubt on my Los P ride. By the time I was past the peak and into the ridge, still before 10am, the shadow became too foreboding to ignore. I reversed direction and spent an hour grinding back to the peak with a few vengeful DH bits thrown in. So glad I called that one off, it's just not the right day for this ride (for me). Still a great day to get a bunch of forest riding in. One trail runner seen, along with stellar views seaward with San Clemente and Santa Catalina islands in view, and inland vistas to and beyond the Berdoos, as seen here with Lake Elsinore in the fore.

IMG_1803.jpg

So much greenery – go get your goods, people! Dirt therapy cures all :geek:

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A quick spin on the old FS... Playing on the little ridden section of Live Oak to try and clean it- no dice. Up to the top of Vista, and down the Vista DH, with a little extra credit on the cheater drop-in.

IMG_2798.jpg

A quick spin down the Arroyo Trabuco Trail, which is actually much nicer with gears. And today it was much nicer with a rear shock. That trail will need a lot of attention with a scraper before Rwanda.

The guys coming out for the Rwanda pre-ride next week may want to bring extra shoes...
    IMG_2801 (1).jpg

Tadpoles...
    IMG_2802.jpg

Over to the super secret jump line... Not exactly hardtail friendly. And there are probably 12 of them. All past my comfort zone, and all requiring an insane amount of speed to hit correctly. :thumbsup:
    IMG_2803 (1).jpg

Lots O green...
    IMG_2804.jpg

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    What, part of the trail is a RIVER???

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I believe it's a creek, which in my part of the world would be pronounced crick. No rivers here... :whistling:

18. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I did ride my bike today. I tried to pedal up dreaded hill like I was some kind of fit 165lb guy that can make 400watts.

I blew up in 150 yards in when my 240lb lard ass caught up with my brain. Sincerely disappointed in my road to fitness the last 18 months.

19. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I ride whiting every wed. The conditions up borrego and mustard have been ever changing and fluid for months now. It's different every time.
    The crazy part is how the pond above cactus is now seeping out and draining at the base of cactus.

The hiking traffic is all time high

SnakeCharmer, MattB and mtnbikej like this.
  20. dustyyoungblood

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I saw some photos this season of guys crossing the creek up borrego at waist high water.

SnakeCharmer, kioti, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yep, I did. Rode to work and back. It was fun!

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The real rocky part on the left is where the trail comes out. My bike is where we need to get to... Piece of cake!

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'm just about ready to patent my anti-gravity belt...

24. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    19 miles and 3090 feet today :)

Up Ridge Park, then via Bommer ridge to Lizard. Lizard was in the best shape, hardly any mud and the initial downhill is perfect now. Then Upper Laurel towards the 73. That was the muddiest trail of the day, but all fine. Serrano Ridge, my favorite fireroad outside the Santa Anas, was in great shape, so fun. The Quail Hill trail after that was so different. The top of the trail, near the crazy houses, was almost overgrown. Quite a few walkers on the trail. Then back via the bike trail and Bommer Canyon up to Ridge Park , then back down the hill home

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    The Weasl was firing on all cylinders today, a strong climb up Holy Jim followed by an equally strong run down. One rider marveled that my wife could hang (of course projecting), other hikers down low cheered the "woman on the bike" as she blasted through some water crossings. Sharing dirt with your number one: nothing compares. :inlove::notworthy::thumbsup:

Thanks to whoever worked the chain saw up there today. The route-around the fallen tree in the creek bottom is gone, and I presume they were on their way up to where the tree forces a dismount in the switchbacks. Assuming it's WS/VQ activity (thanks, all). So there is a good side to all those extra gel wrappers on the trail as VQ approaches. :unsure:

A nice, cool day compared to yesterday; lots of happy hikers and riders out enjoying primo conditions.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Not the ride I had planned today. I was gonna head out to do @HBkites group ride. However, I decided when I got up this morning that I didn't want to be gone all day.

So I slept in and stayed close to home then got out for a ride with my wife. She had mentioned that she hadn't been out to Weir Cyn for quite a while....So I held her to it. We rolled about 9:00.

Was nice to not be wearing knickers/arm warmers/jackets. Lots of people in the park today.

Up Oak, then out into Weir Cyn. On the way out there, she asked which way we were gonna do the loop. I told her clockwise/figure 8.....this way we could go down Cliffhanger. She said "WHA????" I told her she dragged the plus tired sled out there so why not. We rolled in and she cleaned it....kick ass.

Really really green out there. Wild flowers are starting to pop up everywhere.. Waaaaayyyyyy tooooo many people in the park today. Ran into @H2oChick and @cajun at the top of Deer.

Was gonna stay out and do some extra credit, but have somethin in my cranks/BB/pedals clicking madly, so headed home with Suz.

Great day on the bike.

IMG_2527.JPG IMG_2528.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2532.JPG IMG_2533.JPG

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My initial plan was to get some miles in but I decided to just cruise around and check out more of the local stuff. Everything is green and rutted. Albertson has a huge rut on the side. Dead Cow has a HAB section about a third of the way down. The rest of it is really chunky. I think it will be awhile before everything is back to normal.

17.2 miles
    3279'

20170304_090641-2016x1512.jpg 20170304_090835-1612x1209.jpg 20170304_094453-2016x1512.jpg 20170304_101533-1612x1209.jpg 20170304_101613-1612x1209.jpg 20170304_104613-2016x1512.jpg

28. ebenke

ebenke Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Everett Benke
    Current Bike:
    Intense Carbine 29er
    I finally got back on the bike and rode Aliso with a buddy, it felt great to be on the bike. My how Aliso has changed with the rains.

MattB, Faust29, SnakeCharmer and 7 others like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I actually rode my bike today. @Voodoo Tom and I did Golden Eagle. Cool and breezy, but still awesome. Tons of trees down across the road.
    Gonna have to call in the xperts @Mikie Robin Mcguire , it's kinda like the Smell Good Plummer, but only better...

30. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez