I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Ahem...that would be "Blimey." Friggin' wannabe Limeys. :rolleyes::cool::Roflmao

mike and herzalot like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    There used to be a trail that went past that pond where you were almost guaranteed to be alone. And it was cool looking back at riders cruising down Cactus. It went from the water tank near 4 corners to the stables and was really fun.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    A normal winter...and it's confounding most everybody. :rolleyes::laugh:

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I got out for a ride tonight, short night ride after trail work including a few laps on the re-route we just finished. It's short but a nice addition to the trail network.

I thought about that. But this spot is really flat and it's a long way to the down slope. The dirt is either sticky peanut butter or rock hard clay. There isn't much lower down from this anymore because we lost our access from the neighborhoods, and the rest of the trails down there are a soupy muddy mess. Lots of other places I can work on that will make a difference.

mike and kioti like this.
  5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ^^Maybe take some of the dirt and build up half the puddle area. Let the lower part act as a bar ditch. A short drainage trench to nowhere could divert some of the water w/o being obtrusive or taking much time to build. Works in farm country.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_ditch

mike likes this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Yesterday... 10 whole miles, which was all I had time for. But, I mixed it up a little and took the FS bike. Up Live Oak, drop down the Vista DH, up the cheater entrance, down the whole enchilada, and then back up for a second run down. :thumbsup:

The reroutes make the trail much slower... Still fun, but the bottom used to be a straight plunge. Now, it's a series of swooping turns...

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Riding the FS bike with all those gears is like this to me:

one-man-band20.jpg

DBMX119, Mikie, mike and 6 others like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well, it stretched to 2.5" casing and 2.44" tread. close enough i guess.

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    looks like the Dos Mercedes trails are holding up well in all the rain. I normally do not go out that way until it is hot even in the
    Conejo. I like coming up the ridge from Reino Road or going on Los Robi west to Potero, did you do those parts? BTW nice photo of Tri Peaks

Mikie, Faust29 and mike like this.
  10. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    So I guess single speed would be something like this???
    spoonman-tankersley.jpg

LLPoolJ, tortoise, DBMX119 and 9 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Blasphemy! You looking for hero asphalt?:D You know cars on bike rides suck, so just give in to the Dirt Brotherhood of Mikes already. :thumbsup:

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I already succumbed...

Doing dirt tomorrow. :D

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    With a short spin planned for tomorrow, I planned a short ride with my wife today.

It has been years since she has been up Maple Springs. With the rain yesterday, I knew this would be a very safe bet.

We drove through some mist and drizzle on the way up Silverado. Once we hit the trail, the sky/clouds cleared and the sun came out. We were expecting cold temps....quite the opposite.

We just meandered up....knowing we weren't going all the way up. Stopped for a few breaks along the way.

We made it up just past the spring and turned around...we were also on a short time leash.

Heading up.....
    IMG_2440.JPG

The Rain Gauge / Totem Pole that marks the top of pavement climb.....IMG_2441.JPG

Me and the Mrs........
    IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG

Looking out towards Motorway....IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG

Screenshot (131).png
    Screenshot (132).png

14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    ^ Great pics!

Mikie likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    With the wind situation today around the Santa Ana Mountains I was not super psyched about spending protracted time on ridges. So I opted to creep up Holy Jim to Upper Joplin and Joplin, finish on Caddy, close the loop – the Joplin circuit I got whittled down to exactly 3 hours.

I was wondering what it would take to break 3. Now I know, hehe. 2:55 :cool: Thanks to Mo and Erik for pulling me up the road to the finish (they were headed to Bell Ridge) and to @Faust29 for the Tailwind :thumbsup: And Turner for the Czar, perfect tool for the job. :inlove:

mtnbikej, DBMX119, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  16. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Small turnout for the Path Shop Ride this morning ... maybe people thought it might be a little windy:whistling:. Apparently @herzalot decided to be a good family man this morning:thumbsup: ... or just rode somewhere else since most of the parks opened back up. Anyway, Greg and I had a good ride up Maple Springs and down Motorway. Trails were in good shape (still a little chewed up on Main Divide), and we had a fun, mellow 17.8 miles and 3,785'.

Mikie, kioti, bvader and 3 others like this.
  17. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Did a quick ride with a buddy today. Started at Cooks. About half way up the Modjeska Grade, my buddy snapped a spoke and turned around. STT was in good shape. Went past the Luge and up to the top of Cadillac and turned around there. Everything was in pretty good shape (not as good as last weekend though). The Luge def had some sketchy and slippery muddy spot. Three guys on eMTBs flew past me on STT. Bastards have it easy. Saw another one last weekend and he didn't even have a helmet. Speaking of riders with no helmets, ran into a rider on a regular MTB just after the Luge. I've seen him a few times on Harding and B* and he never wears a helmet, older guy on what looked like a Ti hardtail. Don't get it...

DBMX119, Mikie, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  18. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I'm shocked that LCWP is open. Rode Friday before the rain and had to turn around because it was too muddy.

Mikie, kioti, bvader and 5 others like this.
  19. tick

tick Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Today Lizards had maybe half a dozen dips that need better drainage, otherwise it was awesome. Climbing out of emerald canyon was almost easy: you could stand up and mash the pedals, and whoa! Traction!

My first taste of dirt in two months, it took the supplier a while to get my replacement part for my frame. So I took it pretty easy, remembering how everything works I guess. Great to be back in the saddle.

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    What kind of shape is Joplin in these days?

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Got blown around real good up on top of Verdugo Mountain this afternoon. I wanted to try out my new Ardent race tires so I kept it honest and stayed on the hero dirt fire roads today. WOW, are they ever fast! I was catching air on the humps on the way back down, lol. Marginally weak rear braking, but excellent cornering ability. I just have to adapt my riding style which I believe I did for the most part during the ride.

It warmed up nicely today so I chose Beaudry North as a means of getting up the mountain. It's in the shade and it's cooler in the afternoons even on the hottest day of the year. So I goated up to the tank at the top and took a break to enjoy the views. Spectacular they were, with the wind having blown the smog away and out to sea. From there I continued on to Verdugo Motorway, stopping occasionally to chat with hikers and to snap some shots of the views. Goated the rest of the way to the highest point and rested for a few mins before heading back down the way I came up. LOTS and LOTS of hikers out and several cyclists too. My legs are fairly smoked after two days of riding. Hurts sooo good!

The last pic is of me saluting the wind that was blowing me around. :mad:

9.87 miles
    1:15:04 ride time
    36.6mph max speed :D
    2041' elevation
    934 calories

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

tortoise, Cornholio, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  22. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    6 miles around my neighborhood today. Down a Little Rocky chute. Really liking my first impressions with DVO front and rear.

IMG_6485.JPG

23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Glad you got to try the Tailwind... I tried the brew! Those ridges were scary as sheisse today! Almost Gott blown off a few times...

Mikie, kioti, mike and 3 others like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Extra chunky with no bad water damage to speak of. The first tree maze was cut so you can almost ride through. The second tree dropped down so you have to drag your bike under it. I say leave it as a good moto barrier... The long rock garden section is seriously chunky. I got a bunch of it and then thought WTF am I doing and walked a little. Totally worth going up there to ride the trail. :thumbsup: Cadillac is horrendous, beyond my skill to clean.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I know that exact spot... Haven't been down there in awhile! :thumbsup:

Mikie and dustyyoungblood like this.
  26. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Good to know. Was gonna wait until Wednesday to ride but maybe I'll go tomorrow or Tuesday.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  27. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    LCWP this morning. Lizards, old emerald, emerald canyon, cow trail, fenceline. Sloppy and wet in the shade. Tacky and moist in the sun. Old emerald is primo up top, slimy and rutted on the steep mid section, and nearly overgrown on the bottom flat just before you get to emerald canyon. 19 miles and 2500 feet later my bike was hammered. Oh yeah, the winds on Bonner ridge weren't helping matters. Still a beautiful day for a bike ride.

IMG_2951.JPG

DBMX119, BeckTrex, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  28. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Don't need to post seems like me and @Redman did almost exact same ride.

Redman likes this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I rode Backbone from Encinal to Mishe Mokwa and back with an old moto buddy of mine. He's quite the hammer on a road bike and has serious dirt skills but we just cruised and made it a chit-chat ride. Trail was a little wet in some short sections but overall it was in great shape. It was a blast to ride together and catch up. Views were incredible.
    19.8 miles
    2325' elevation
    Thankfully most of the mud was in the parking lot. 20170212_082841-2016x1512.jpg 20170212_092210-2016x1512.jpg 20170212_092216-2016x1512.jpgIMG_9380.jpg

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    The bypass that was put in last year sure is nice, huh?

Bluesrider, Mikie and UPSed like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?