I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    @MrsUPSed and I did a Las Llajas/Chumash ride today. She had done a 10k trail run yesterday so we took it easy on the climb. About 4 miles up she decided to turn around and head back down the fire road. The steepest was still ahead. I told her I was going to continue on to Chumash and would meet her back at the truck. The wind wasn't horrible but I'm going to blame it for me feeling a little off today. Just couldn't get into the groove on Chumash. At one point I decided to just cruise and hit any little jumps I could find. Turns out you can have just as much fun with the speed dialed back. I may have to take a day off this week and do it again. 20170129_105718-2016x1512.jpg 20170129_105723-2016x1512.jpg 20170129_105727-2016x1512.jpg 20170129_102710-1944x1458.jpg

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    As planned, the Weasel and I headed up Trabuco Creek, aiming for Viejo Tie.

As everyone knows, the trails are pretty rough from the rains, so Trabuco Creek Trail is more beastly a climb than normal. But we did a bit better than last time, hooray, and scootched over to Bluejay CG. On Main Divide we ran into the youth of America, six young doods out to tear some Sh!t up and harvest fun. I recognized a couple of the guys from previous riding/encounters. It was great to see the kids out getting it done; we saw only two other riders out late in the ride.

Then thru the CG to the north entrance trail to Old San Juan to Cocktail. After a quick break, off on VT. Well, as a smart person might have surmised, VT is flat chewed up by the storms. Just terrible shape. It made no sense to prolong the torture, so we closed the loop directly and headed up to Bluejay for another refill and break.

The Wall on Main Divide really took it out of us. The surface was loose, dusty and rutted despite obvious sighs of heavy equipment work. So we hiked pretty much the whole thing. My poor chickie was pretty burnt by this point and moving slowly, so I grabbed her bike and pushed two the last quarter mile or so. We rallied for the fun drop that Trabuco is, noting a roughness of the trail we'd never experienced before.

We took around 8 hours. A gorgeous day to be outside having fun with someone you love. And probably the best thing about today...she said it was fun. Ho, man, I got the right one :notworthy::inlove::thumbsup:

3. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    First time on my local trails in a bit. Climb to stairstep, drop into town, climb up to mentally over to cholla drop stairs again, Willow fenceline tna back up to pad. Out of sorts. Rode the pivot and just didn't have it on the drops. New ruts, new lines, new approaches. The XC bike not exactly the perfect beast for this run, but it was the pilot kooking, not the plane.

Stairs had water seeping thru the waterfall section at one spot (just above where u go thru the bush on the left) - that makes things a bit interesting. First run down stairs was brutal. Second run was just one unfortunate dab. TnA crushed me. I kept re-running sections to find the new lines. Where the p-line berms into the trail is tough, you've gotta be in the rut on the other side to clean it. Also, a tough new step just above the bottom rock garden. Some BIG ruts at the bottom of the transition area where you make the sweeping right turn on the face. Don't bomb this run until you take a look at the new lines.

Mentally was in good shape. Cholla had a monster mud pit. Heart Attack is really rutted. The bridge in the middle of nowhere ...

Was getting some ugly rattles on TnA. Somehow my rear thru bolt loosened up. Third time that has happened on this bike mid ride. Glad it didn't give away.

29ish and 4,000. Good times.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You did 29 miles in Aliso / Wood Canyon?!

5. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    AIiso / Woods and LCWP

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A good plundering, Strand.

Be careful with runs like that on your 429...I had one too many on mine and then it was gone :oops:

7. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike sunday... So it all started with ex-imtbtrails resident El Imigrante hitting me up to do an epic. I said "sure" what you have in mind? So he suggests riding up to inspiration point via lower sam merrill. Since he already climbed LSM with Cisco and I, he knew what that part of the climb is like. There is no sugar coating that climb, it's hard, and with a late start at 8:45 it meant lots of hikers on the trail. Mondo also invited his friend Randy, so now I had two wide-eyed newbies to the Gabes that had no idea what they were getting themselves into :cautious:
    Getting up to the trail head means a warm up road ride with some elevation gain. This is where we came up on three other riders headed in our direction. I looked over and it turned out to be Mark aka @abuck55 and his friends Kyle, and David. So now it was six of us going up LSM and dealing with the large group of hikers going up and coming down. Luckily no one was in a hurry and we just politely waited for hikers to let us pass and said our thank you's and have a nice hike as we rode on. At the Echo mountain resort ruins we had a short regroup and rest. We said or good byes to the trio who were only doing the quick loop, while Mondo, Randy and I continued up to Inspiration point.
    After a quick rest and taking in the view of the city below, we put on some pads and headed over to middle merrill to start our descent. Mondo expressed his reservations about doing this section, but gave into peer pressure. Actually, I said something to the effect of "You just climbed all the way up here, there's no way you're gonna take the fire road back down." :sneaky: Besides there is no shame in walking the oh-crap sections on Middle Merrill.:eek:
    So off we went, with Randy and Mondo in tow. Randy has a moto background so he was pretty confident on most of the descent. Almost ate Sh!t on one section but recovered nicely. Back at the ruins we waited for Mondo, but not too long. When he did show up though, it looked like he was in a lot of pain. Turns out he went down on a tricky rocky section and hyperextended his leg which caused him excruciating back pain. We rode slowly over to sunset trail where Mondo elected to take the road back to the cars while Randy and I finished off with Sunset and El Prieto.
    This is the kind of ride that either gets you hooked or totally turns you off to big climbs with big scary descents. Only time will tell if I get another text from Mondo asking me for another "Epic" ride (aka asswhoopin) ;)

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 6.51.32 AM.png

8. tfitz

tfitz Member

Name:
    tom fitz
    I got an hour and a half in. What a beautiful day.

20170130_103808.jpg

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    For those that had to work.....
    I salute you.....
    Last week my manager said there was no one off next week so if anyone wanted a day off to let him know. I figured I only have two weeks until I'm on vacation (yes again) so no way was I going to burn a paid day. Who was I kidding? I'm about as lazy as they come. I sent a text to my supervisor this morning requesting the day off and was given the thumbs-up. Took about an hour for me to decide where I wanted to ride. Decisions decisions. I finally decided on Wildwood as I haven't been there for a few months. There is a lot of clay there so it takes at least a week to dry after any significant rain. There was actually a couple of small mud puddles that I had to roll through real slow but other than that the trails are surprisingly dry. The rocky sections are a lot more exposed as the rain has washed a lot of the dirt away. Had a great ride and had the trails mostly to myself. Weather was perfect. Now to get through the next nine work days. :gag: 20170130_105839-2016x1512.jpg 20170130_105849-1612x1209.jpg 20170130_105912-2016x1512.jpg 20170130_105924-2016x1512.jpg 20170130_122633-1612x1209.jpg 20170130_111252-1612x1209.jpg20170130_142509.png

bvader, Tom the Bomb, RS VR6 and 17 others like this.
  10. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    We did chino hills, beautiful day and cool breeze most of the ride. I guess it was 11miles since my gps apps sucks...
    @Fanatic , Raul and Brett whose is an Imtb member but forgot his screen name.

Sooo green !
    IMG_20170130_101111.jpg

Time for a 5min. brake.
    IMG_20170130_101116.jpg

Some debris on the bridge...
    IMG_20170130_104638.jpg

Lucky burger w/pastrami....oh yeah !!
    IMG_20170130_120228.jpg

11. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Jaime, what trail is that in your first pic?

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Maple springs to the peak.. Still some snow n ice! Bike skiing is fun! Water crossings r easy to stay dry..just roll slow.. Beautiful day for pxs...

13. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Solo Aliso ride today and chance to do some exploring. Up Mathis:gag: to TOTW and down TLNX for the first time. Exactly what I expected. 90% rideable (for me) with a couple steep sketchy spots I walked. My rear brake completely faded, again. Time to man up and get some Saints with a 203mm rotor I guess. Up Stair Steps. Had to get some hiking in:laugh:. Enough exploring. Down Lynx, down Coyote Run and I did see a Coyote and it was running:geek:. Up Woods, Up Cholla down Rock-it. Cleaned the upwards rock section again but was a little disappointed, no-one was there wanting an autograph:(. Down Coyote again! Whoo, fun single track. What's worse than Mathis? Up Mathis twice :unsure:. Had to hit Car Wreck. Only my second time. Must remember, stay to the right at the drop (or launch:eek:). Dripping Cave and out. Beautiful day. Still waiting for my boss's approval to take the day off.:rolleyes::p

Stairs
    4qV2DMC-DUF5GxnnGpj1c967dICYlKn9Ag6YcmBgfkc-2048x1536.jpg

Interesting erosion.
    aliso 1-30 c.jpg

14. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Its brush canyon trail @Fanatic has the strava link. Me....I don't do strava, I'm too fast for strava and they banned me.

Tom the Bomb, kioti, Luis and 5 others like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Grego.. Stairs looks even harder then car wreck.. Once was enough for car wreck...

16. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Both appear challenging. I have yet to figure out the bottom of Car Wreck. From what I hiked up the Stair Steps, everything looked rideable, although I did take the easier split.

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Your first pic is where my el Mar frame met its demise. :cry:

Steel hardtails and Stairsteps do not mix... Even with the easier drop-in.

Tom the Bomb, Grego, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yes that bottom ... Too big of a drop n quick turn..im sure some can do..i just walk....

19. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Must have been muddy right??

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  20. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Nope ! We crossed a couple of small streams at the bottom but not mud at all !!! At the entrance there is a "all trails closed" sign on the Elinvar entrance though

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  21. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    There were only 2 water crossings today at Chino Hills with @jaime, Raul, and Brett. Great weather and nice conditions.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

22. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @Grego what parts of tlnx did you walk?

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  23. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
  24. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    BRRAAAAP!!!

25. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    The parts where you launch off rocks and land on pavers.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    ...the notorious Ash Hill section. Not as bad as it looks, unless you stop and look. Most of my friends have tasted paver there. Wise to walk it unless you send it.

Tom the Bomb, pperrelle and Grego like this.
  27. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Yeah you definitely have to launch and not roll those. Second one comes up quick!

28. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Wow, that's surprising!

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Yesterday... A little jaunt up Blackstar to see the damage. As others have reported, the road gave way in quite a few spots. They are going to need some heavy equipment for a couple of them. The trail, however, was pretty dry, and visibility was amazing at Main Divide.

IMG_2603.jpg IMG_2606.jpg

There were a lot of hikers out yesterday. I know that some of the schools had off, and it was nice to see large groups of teenagers outdoors... There was also a photo shoot in the parking lot just before the gate. A very attractive young blond lady draped over a motorcycle. This wasn't a low budget shoot. They had all of the equipment, a cargo trailer, catered food, 6 assistants or so, etc... And it wasn't sleazy like the shoot we saw in Aliso awhile back.

bvader, Cougar, kioti and 7 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Never realized Stairsteps is a loop!

kioti, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 3 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?