I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Make sure to shave down, put on your skinsuit, aero helmet and aerobars....you are gonna want to be able to fight the wind somehow.

2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Yup. At Aliso with @Cougar. Massive amounts of water evidently flowed down Aliso Creek, because trees were down and water flow was evident well over its banks. Then, huge rut down the middle of Wood Canyon. Further along, the bridge that @knucklebuster and I cleared a month ago is now a freestanding island - quite comical actually. Cholla had one section that was a mud pit, and a few other sections are now harder to ride. No issues on Coyote Run, Rock-It or Mathis. I reported about Meadow on the Meadows thread. Dry, with a couple of inconvenient ruts.

Great weather. A gajillion riders, hikers and joggers today. Bikes are fun!

5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Aliso with @BeckTrex, @SiriusStargazer @PATKOUG and Vince. Highlight for me was finally figuring out how/where to clean the upwards rock section halfway down Rock-it. Up the rock on the left then a straight shoot from left to right :thumbsup:. Now to work on cleaning Car Wreck :eek:. Great times. Great friends. Great trails. 20/2200. Thought I saw @herzalot but by the time he was gone :notworthy:.

Cougar, mike, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    @Grego There were so many groups of experienced riders on good equipment today that I probably caught a glimpse of you, though I don't recall seeing any Niners. Where do you think you saw me? There was a speedy group of 5 or 6 on Meadows. I took off ahead, but stopped to let climbers up. Then we let the speedsters descend before we continued. Were you among them?

There was a group including a dude with an argyle Path jersey with a black bike with orange coil shock ready to descend Car Wreck. Were you among them?

Oh - and nice job on the up-and-over on Rock-It. Once you get it the first time, you will most likely make it every time. You don't have to have speed, just be in the right gear (about 3rd or 4th on a typical 1x setup). There are often people at the top of the little climb, and they will now ooooh and aaahhhh at your smooth competence and non-walking approach. You will be tempted to stop to sign autographs, but that would defeat the purpose of your new route.

BeckTrex, Faust29, kioti and 2 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Rode Sycamore Canyon with JRA today. Nice relatively fast pace with a few familiar and a few new faces. Trails were in great shape and very little rain damage. The wind sucked A$$ but it was still a great day. 18/2000.20170128_093558-2016x1512.jpg 20170128_093611-2016x1512.jpg

8. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Lol, Thanks. Probably not a good idea, but we were congregated at the very bottom of Lynx. A couple riders came down afterwards, one looked like it could be you. I've only been to Aliso a few times. Such a fun place. Planning to go more often hopefully.

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I rode my bike a little today. :whistling:

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Pics or it didn't happen...:D

Cyclotourist, Faust29, MattB and 2 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    IMG_2593.JPG

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    And....???

Faust29 likes this.
  13. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Nice day in the CNF cool sunny breezy, death winds did not materialize.

One thing I was thinking...Lots of new ruts out there in riding lands and of course our bikes like to head for them. Noticed, thinking and observed and realized.. lips edges on all those new ruts can be unstable... Be ware... Got to close to one today lip gave way...didn't go down but popped out and took the pedal pretty hard in the calf.

Ohh forgot to add there was a serious looking military helicopter out practicing landing along the maintenance divide and then when it took its final pass it did a very cool high speed / high banked S-Turn

14. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I decided to set out for Santiago Peak this morning to check it out in the snow. I headed up Maple Springs at about 10AM and felt the headwind immediately. The water crossings seem like they're back to the levels they were before the last round of storms, and a crew has been through with some heavy equipment to clear a lot of the debris flow from the paved section. Once the pavement ended the wind died down until I got to 4 corners.

On the way up, I started seeing some snow in the shady spots around 3,500' and a lot of frozen puddles and runoff. About halfway up to 4 corners I got a little too confident riding across the ice and my bike slid right out from under me ... crashed while climbingo_O. The rest of the climb was pretty uneventful, and I was a lot more careful about the ice. Up from 4 corners toward Modjeska the wind started blowing so hard I hardly had to peddle up the hill for parts of it, and I started hitting the first snow on the trail.

The last 1/2 mile up to Santiago Peak was completely snow covered. It was pretty fun riding in the snow for my first time (even when climbing)!
    IMG_6711.JPG

Upper Joplin was fantastic in the snow on the way back! There was only one set of tire tracks before mine. Riding/controlled sliding through the snow down that trail was SOOO MUCH FUN!
    IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

I wrapped up the ride with Motorway, which grew on me the second time around. Final stats came in at 25.4 miles and 5,135'.

https://www.relive.cc/view/847578678 (stupid metric default:whistling: ... It will be changed for the next one)

A couple obligatory pics from the peak

IMG_6717.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

Luis, Cougar, mike and 15 others like this.
  15. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @MattB you passed me this morning beginning of Maple I was taking picture of where they plowed the flow. I was in the grey flannel. I was wondering when you went.

Nice ride ..Nice pics. I have been to.the peak lots but not sure I know where that sign is.

IMG_20170128_095847.jpg

IMG_20170128_095957.jpg

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    We didn't hit Lynx today. Rode past the bottom of it once and the top once. I cleared some oblivious hikers as two skilled riders were approaching from the upper section of Lynx. And yes - the trails in Aliso are pretty fun - glad you liked it!

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    You hide your age well!

pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I really like that ride. Gotta do it again soon. :thumbsup:

19. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I remember seeing you there at the beginning, but I didn't recognize you. We met once a few years ago when you gave me some first aid supplies after I rolled into the Cook's parking lot bleeding from a nasty crash on the Luge. Good times:whistling:.

Were you just starting your ride, too? For some reason I thought you were finishing your ride at that point.

It's kind of hard to describe where that sign is, but I'll try ... someone else can correct me. When I get to the buildings at the top, I head left toward the coast. The sign is at the top of a big rocky mound on your left, just after the first building ... it's a few feet away from the survey marker.

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Just look for the highest point...:thumbsup:

21. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I rode the FLoop from the house. Took the Defy out, had fun. Only two spots I had dismount due to mud: Just before the bridge on the train tracks and in the creek bottom near the split for Brea Blvd.

27/1,450-ish.

22. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Nice crisp morning, mountains and downtown clear against the blue sky. Nobody but me out on the trails. Have ridden 3 out of last 4 days and am happy about that. Could see Santa Monica Bay and what probably was the channel islands beyond from the western edge of the Puente Hills system, that's a first. LA Co Parks and Rec did some trail work on a spot I first reported several weeks ago when only half the trail was washed away. Friday it was more than 3/4 gouged out, would've made a good kayak run down that hillside. But kudos to the plower who fixed it up in the last day or two.

23. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I remember that... Just a flesh wound!

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  24. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Hit Bommer Cyn to LCWP this morning with a couple of buddies. The climb up Bommer Cyn to Ridge park sure gets your blood flowing at the beginning of the ride. 6:30 start so it was chilly at first but warmed up nicely. There's still a few muddy spots around. Perfect weather for a ride. Bommer Cyn to Bommer Ridge, Lizards, Serrano, Camarillo, Stagecoach out and back to Nix then Laurel over to Willow for the grind back up to the Ridge. Pretty quiet early, but lots of bikes when we hit Willow.
    IMG_0108.PNG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3678.JPG

Grego, MattB, mike and 10 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    The plan was to do the weekly Sunday morning practice with my son and his MTB team. They go to Crafton Hills for a three hr ride. With a bit of a headache and back/neck really tight, I'm feeling okay but not great. We set off, and realize left the water bottles at home... d'oh! So I tell him to go on, and I'll meet at Hwy 38 with some water. Go home, get the bottles, grab the LA Times, and head out. Meet and hand off, no problem. I head back to the college with time to go for a bit of a ride. Unfortunately the raised BP on the climb really sets my headache off. Bummer! I end up doing a short loop, head back to the car, sit and read how the modern world is collapsing around me. Good times.

My truncated ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/848613079 The boy's complete route: https://www.strava.com/activities/848683036

32557164516_6ea5558425_b.jpg

Grego, Faust29, kioti and 7 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Cougar and PATKOUG like this.
  27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ride aliso today before work, early start. First up, mentally sensitive. It weathered the storms well, just a few ruts overall in decent shape. The hero dirt is gone, thanks to the SA winds ☹️
    There were some major ruts in woods canyon though. Then up cholla, weird muddy spot in the middle. Down rockit, very washboardy at the top but otherwise fun as always. Then up Mathis, was tough for me today. I think very dry air like today's just saps my energy, plus it was warming up fast. Saw @herzalot and @sylvia at the top, who had already hit 3 climbs and just zipped ahead of me up the last bit to totw!

Faust29, MattB, PATKOUG and 5 others like this.
  28. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    After Mikie speculated in another thread that Golden Eagle might have about 3" of snow I thought "Perfect for Sunday!" Weather looked a little warm but since most of the trail is in the shade on the northern exposure, I figured the snow would be mostly at the top and would stay cold enough to be a blast! Well, snow is always pretty tricky to guesstimate and today was no exception. I went up the road following tracks from some 4X4's and encountered snow and squishy, thick mud like :poop: about 1/2 mile from the 1st trail crossing.

The snow patches got deeper, longer and slushier. I was either spinning out on the slurpee snow or bogging down in the mud! I'm usually stubborn and keep pressing on in these situations but today I had a rare moment of wisdom ;) and decided to head down the lower section of the trail. The top 1/3 of the trail had 6"-8" of slushy snow so I was either pedaling through even some downhill spots or sliding around when I could get a little momentum:eek:! Two downed oak trees on the trail too! At the second one I met a rider coming up the trail! I thought "Here's somebody crazier than me":confused: His name is Jeremy and he lives in Frazier Park. Now who would live in Frazier Park when they could live in Lebec:rolleyes:! I told him about the upper 1/3 of snow cone trail. He had enough of trudging through the snow so he decided to join me on the descent.

The snow gradually thinned out to manageable and even fun levels and except for some patches in the shade, all but disappeared from just above the switchback to the rest of the trail. Good hero dirt for most of the last 2/3 of the trail. At the end, I gave Jeremy my phone # and the imtbtrails info. He's been in Frazier since November and works for a mountain bike apparel company so I expect he'll make friends quickly here!:rolleyes:

I think GE needs a couple more weeks to melt off the snow and dry up the mud before it will be worth the climb! Assuming there's now more snow for a while!

Faust29, MattB, PATKOUG and 9 others like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    image.jpeg Barrett Stoddard is my day-to-day. Today Booges made it even better. Adding trail through Cucamonga wash sans 404, 401, 1602. Reestablisheing the crossing for the hikers and The Misfits to go. Lotsa rocks into the water. So good! I am thankful!image.jpegthe conga line to baldy is there. We saw 2 people all dirt long.image.jpegda Booges!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg See the trail? It's there.

image.jpeg
    And I was 26 minutes late to the ride, and Monkey Piss Melache, Baby!

image.jpeg

30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I guess you weren't on Harding Truck Trail at 6:30 - 8:00 then :) Wind strong enough to almost knock me over. For the first time ever, wind strong enough that it was picking sand up from the trail and I was spitting out sand as I rode. Initially planned on going to Modjeska but the wind turned me around at Four Corners. Had to huddle in the lee of the hill (by the gate) in order to get a small space of calm to eat a protein bar before I started back down. At 9 AM Santiago was measuring a steady 32 mph with gusts, though this evening it is down to 12 mph.

By the time I returned to the Wildlife Sanctuary it had died down considerably. At my home, not a leaf was stirring.

Grego, Mikie, Faust29 and 12 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?