I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Space again this evening, braille again but this time on purpose. Rode till 6:00 PM, got out just as the day faded into darkness. I doubt I could have had any vision by 6:05
    Happy blind trails

Mikie, Cisco Roots, kioti and 7 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I thought for sure somebody would report exploitation of the unexpected clear window over the Santa Anas yesterday.

I rode to The Path LO and scored some sexy Thomson parts. Every bolt on the Elite 4x stem is 3mm...nice touch. Masterpiece post, lighter than light. Even the drawstring bags are classy. Damn, they do it well over there in Georgia, eh? Go, USA :thumbsup:

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

yup......but pay very close attention to the torque spec on the seat clamp. I have a Masterpiece post that has a slight hairline crack.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Duly noted*, thanks!

Do not ride like @mtnbikej...as if it was really an option : )

5. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I tried to (does that sound weak?), but had an outside carpentry project that needed to be done under a dry sky.

Oh, and the morning got sucked up by identity fraud. Can't imagine anyone wanting to be me, but someone tried.. and failed.

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    You see now, Jim, the word really is out about your underratedness.

:D

Mikie and kioti like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Why not bag Santiago Peak via Holy Jim? Cuz water?

Looking up what used to be Trabuco Creek Road at Fern Spring (location of the HJ fire):

There were some 4- tall boulders here...

Deep debris:

There has to be at least one.

Once on the trail, it was just lots of water...in places generally never seen.

Some warm sun found among sinister clouds.

Things got wintry on the north side:

Eventually the summit.

Took Upper HJ down, as much to check out the carnage as to have fun riding...no disappointment.

Descending Holy Jim was more fun than should be allowed by law...cockpit adjustments to the Czar seem to really be hitting the spot. One rider and a few hikers seen. A few motos on Main Divide. Sunny and warm to cloudy, windy and cold.

It's pretty much impossible to ford the creek crossings without getting feet wet. Bring spare shoes/socks and leave the wet ones near the creek for the return, one way to stay comfy. Or do what I did, just slam on a shoe cover and plastic bag and stomp it out like the reckless trail junkie you are. All dry above the Falls turnoff.

BeckTrex, Mikie, Cougar and 23 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Mikie, mike and bvader like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Too good just to go in "I Rode My Bike Today..." - deserves its own RR! Nice one @mike

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

Wow... That's pretty crazy. I guess it's safe to say that the gate is going to be closed until some time in the spring. We didn't see anything on Harding that compares to that!

And with that... We rode our bikes today! I met Jason at The Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary. We pulled in at the same time, and found the parking lot packed, so we turned around and parked back by the little dog park. Thankfully, the porta-potty seems like the Ritz Carlton compared to the one at Maple Springs. :whistling:

Jason's friend, Jeremy, was riding from home and met us within a few minutes. Harding kicked my ass a couple of weeks ago, when I was trying to fend off the lung goo. So, my only goal today was to not walk anything up to Modjeska Peak. We stopped and regrouped quite a few times, but no walking. The legs and lungs are finally starting to feel better... :thumbsup:

The first mile had some mud puddles, but nothing that caused the feet to get wet and we made it through with no issues. From there, the miles flew by, and the conditions were really nice. Temps in the 50s, with the occasional small waterfall to check out. We knew that we would eventually hit the clouds and the cooler temperatures, but it was short sleeves and arm warmers for the most part. :thumbsup:

At the 7 mile point of no return, the temp dropped to 40, and it was time to bundle up a little... My new Giro waterproof gloves are nice. No wet hands, which keeps them nice and toasty. :thumbsup:

Point of no return... Wher'd the sun go?
    IMG_2548.jpg

Ooohhh... A swimming hole!
    IMG_2550.jpg

A pair of waterfalls just below Four Corners
    IMG_2553.jpg

At Four Corners we ran into @bvader and @DBMX119- I have only met bvader one other time... on my very first run to Old Camp and Luge a few years ago. Back when I had suspension and gears!

Above Four Corners, things got interesting. I thought bvader was exaggerating a little, but the ice falling from the trees was cool! And every now and then we could hear a large chunk falling off the Modjeska Towers.

Mini ice storm...
    IMG_2555.jpg

The good news is that I made it to Modjeska with zero walking. The bad news is that it was 35 degrees up there... :eek: I tried the new Showers Pass jacket for the ride down, and was nice and toasty the whole way. Too toasty when we hit the bottom and it was 55 degrees. :gag:

With all of the rock fall, mud, flowing trail water, and downed trees, Harding was an absolute blast to descend. The bike and I were completely covered with mud by the bottom... :thumbsup:

This is about the time I realized that I only used 1/2 of a bottle... o_O
    IMG_2556.jpg

modjeska.jpg

BeckTrex, Cougar, DBMX119 and 22 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    @mike that was wild.

Thanks for posting it up.

kioti, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup....we rode our bikes today.

I didn't want to do any rides were I had to forge any water crossings. That left us with a climb up Harding. Rolled in Modjeska Canyon and had to park back down by the dog park. The creek next to the road was flowing quite well.

As soon as we hit the dirt it was spongy and wet. I kinda expected that. I didn't expect the water running across the trail. My plan was a casual cruise up...try not to sweat too much. It was pretty humid so I failed at that.

Lots of mud puddles the first 2 miles....again, not unexpected. It was a lot warmer than I figured it would be....and almost felt over dressed. Just after 5 mile turn, we finally entered the soup. The temps dropped, the wind picked up and visibility decreased. Just before mile 7 Point of No Return, there was a big tree blocking the road....on top of that, there was a big puddle in front of it. Once past it, it got much cooler on the DH into the saddle. However, shortly after it felt to me like it was getting warmer...the temps didn't go up, but I wasn't as cold.

About a mile from 4 Corners we saw a couple of cool waterfalls.....

Finished up the climb to 4 Corners and ran into @DBMX119 and @bvader . Rick had come up Maple and said the water crossings were pretty deep. Steve said there was ice falling on the way up to Modjeska Peak. We headed up. Lots of water flowing down Main Divide. Backed off the pace a little bit and cleaned the shale section. At the end of the shale was where we started seeing the ice and frost @bvader spoke of. Then we heard it....the ice faling. Really awsome sight. Surely didn't feel like Orange County.

Made it to Modjeska Peak and it seemed like the soup got thicker. Quick change into dry warm clothes, chatted with a hiker(who looked very unprepared), then headed down. Visibility on the way back to 4 Corners was down to about 50' from time to time, but hands and feet were warm and dry. 4 Corners was still engulfed in the soup. We headed down Harding. Felt slower than usual. Did a good job of staying dry and clean. About 1.5 miles from the bottom I gave up on taking it easy through the puddles and just started charging them. Yeah, mud everywhere....but it was fun. Lots of hikers out at this time. What a great day to be out on the mountain.

Screenshot (120).png Screenshot (121).png

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice run up Harding, guys. :thumbsup: I was wondering where you'd be and the possibility I'd see you on Santiago. I sure didn't stay there long...

Thanks for reminding me about the ice coming off the towers...it was freaking crazy, you could get hurt by those bombs!

jaime, kioti, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  14. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Good job you die hards for getting out there today.

@Faust29, that swimming hole.... I'm just dying to take a shovel up there and dig a drain. Too much time spent with Kioti over the years :)

@mike, what the heck on Trabuco Creek Rd.:confused: It's not even recognizable. Guess they'll wait to work on it until after this next rain Sun-Mon. Doesn't look like you could even ride it, much less drive it in a 4wd. And upper HJ looks like I remembered from a year or so ago. Even with pedals at 3 & 9 they will drag the sides of the rut. At least there's no bowling ball rocks in the rut (yet).:thumbsup:

mike, kioti, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  15. Squidler4

Squidler4 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    Went to Santiago Peak early today. Got to the wildlife sanctuary around 8am and there was only 1 car parked there. Nice! It was 41 degrees when my buddy and I started. At the peak My Garmin showed 30.2 degrees. The ice falling from the towers was pretty cool. After the peak we headed back down and stopped near some riders around 4-corners. It might have been some IMTB guys but we didn't have time to chat as I was running late and had to get home.

IMG_0508.PNG

16. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Mike that rut is pretty serious! There may be no more trail left after the next storms?

Cougar, mike, kioti and 2 others like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Couple of rides today. First one was with Rusty @ the butt crack of dawn while it was still 36° outside. We took moms sparkling clean & shiny Ripley LS up & around the canyon from the house. Lets just say it's not so clean & shiny now as it was a combination of mud puddles & quicksand but Rusty seemed to enjoy himself. Roughly 7 miles & 800ft of fun...

Second ride was mostly blacktop but did involve some dirt so I'm posting it here. A week or so ago I posted a picture of a large cardboard box with Niner emblems on the side of it that mysteriously showed up at the shop after a severe bout of cabin fever I had been suffering from. I'm too cheap to buy a brand new bike and I seem to have pretty darn good luck buying used ones so Pinkbike is my friend. Had been thinking of a gravel bike but decided that skinny tires and drop bars just aren't me. I did however want something totally different from my Ripley and I think I succeeded. Roughly 54 miles and some nice strava participation trophies on this ride. Ran in to @psm and about 343 other Tapia locals who all knew better than to make their bikes weigh 300 lbs by trying the tapioca pudding factory.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 4.03.13 PM.jpg

So this is the sexy thing that was hiding in that Niner box. She's a '16 Pivot Les 29er. Basically an XT/XTR pro build with lots of nice parts. She weighed exactly 21 lbs before I bolted on pedals. For now I'm gonna call her the "black b!tch" and I mean that in the most loving way possible since I kinda named my Ripley the "blue b!tch" so please nobody take offense...
    IMG_5272.jpg

These handlebars look way better than skinny little unsafe drop bars...
    IMG_5275.jpg

So now for a mini bike review since I've ridden it a couple times now. I kinda like it. 100% silent no matter what you do. It may not have rear suspension but it doesn't beat you up too bad till your about 30 miles in to the ride. Has an oval chainring and honestly I can't tell any difference. Doesn't really feel like it's any faster or pedals better than my Ripley but that is a pretty high threshold. The Fox 32 boost fork may only weigh about 3 lbs but it absolutely sucks when you are used to a Pike 140. Anybody wanna buy a perfectly good Kona Hei Hei...???

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup....looks like you passed us around mile 6. :thumbsup:

Faust29 and pperrelle like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I wanted to...dang it. Getting the bike dirty is good. :thumbsup:

mike, Faust29 and pperrelle like this.
  20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    @mike thats some wtf stuff thanks for the report. Guess you hafta pedal in to your cabin for a while...?
    UHJ ruts..yikes. Still, looking forward to getting out there. Might be a couple of weeks before I can.

@knucklebuster ...hope youre healing up.

mike, pperrelle and knucklebuster like this.
  21. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @mike Took me a minutes to recognize those pictures.l, and The Big One is still coming!

Me, decided to do Harding too, had visions of me solo slipping in a Maple Spring water never to be seen until spring...

Not much to add to @mtnbikej and @Faust29 cept I didn't feel real great an do the first 3 miles inthe soft were a bit soul sucking. The ice and water was cool there was a moment I got on the way to modjeska when I could see up the side and is was a field of chapperal covered in ice I had never seen that before but the I was flailing for my camera as the clouds closed up. Then at Modjeska towers when changing got my personal hole in the sky.

IMG_20170121_121557.jpg

The way down was fun, as long as you respected the foot sized square rocks littering the trail in placed. I practiced.jumping as about half of those giant water bars make great little jumps... flick to the left flick to the right

( crap tired and trying to post on the phone is hard sometimes LOL)

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Great job all you two-wheeled warriors who got out there today!!! :thumbsup: I'm a little jealous, even though it's all fireroad and near freezing - well, except for whatever it was that @mike was riding when it swallowed him whole. :confused:

Mikie, kioti, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  23. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @mtnbikej just saw the ice vid on the desktop.. you can actually see the ice...It was cool ...

Mikie, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  24. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Just couldn't get into being cold and riding Harding so we headed east ... Sycamore in Riverside. Temps were low to mid 50's but felt chilly when the sun hid behind the clouds. You won't find any tall trees at Sycamore but it drains great and you stay dry - unless you mis-step on the creek crossing like I did.
    They have a small park set up with a few jumps and two or three sections with fun, bermy switchbacks. They are short but really well laid out.

IMG_0340A.jpg

IMG_0343A.jpg

IMG_0344A.jpg

25. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Mr. @Voodoo Tom that bike looks bitchin' !! Black and blue oh yeahh !!

Mikie, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That is a cool looking bike, @Voodoo Tom - Be careful, though. Hardtails can be addicting. :thumbsup:

Mikie, jaime, tortoise and 2 others like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    What a great bike, VT!!!

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I was feeling lazy, but still wanted to get out, so chose the flattest route I could think of that still had a lot of dirt. Ended up going through the wash trails up to the foothills. It was a great choice as the sand was really packed down from the rain, so easy spinning. My phone bounced out of my handlebar bag, so I had to re-trace about half a mile down the only real climb. Great timing. After that, the soil started changing from DG to clay, so I decided to quit riding dirt and take the Orange Blossom Trail back into town. A great couple hours outside!
    32074384040_d27ef183c7_b.jpg
    Water from Seven Oaks was being released, so I was actually able to ford the Santa Ana River!
    32452586815_5041516194_b.jpg
    Up close and personal views of the mountains:
    31609237244_6d6d227a60_b.jpg
    Sexy bike:
    31609252464_33de759bab_b.jpg

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    @MrsUPSed and I rode our bikes on Saturday. We headed over to our new go to place to ride after the rain, Dos Vientos, in hopes of getting a ride in. Conditions couldn't have been better. The ruts are growing but other than that it was perfect. 11 miles and 1400' just cruising around. 20161226_131430-1944x1458.jpg 20170121_120243-2016x1512.jpg 20170108_094008-1134x951.jpg

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Nice new ride......HT's are fun. They make the trails more interesting.

Also, I'll just point out that Pivot makes a SS dropout for that frame. In about 30 minutes you could be like the rest of the cool kids. :thumbsup:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?