I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    This proves something I've always suspected... Women are tougher than men! Congratulations on getting out there, and congratulations on the little one. The best time of your life is coming up! :thumbsup:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Where do I start???

@Faust29 threw it out there and I had both the time and inclination to do the Maple Springs - Motorway Loop.

Met Faust & @mtnbikej at the tree farm at 0830. It was a tad cool, but tolerable. The ride up Silverado went by quickly.

We had to do some SS chain adjusting at the gate :whistling: and then we were off.

Maple Springs to 4C is always fun - it's a great workout.

I'd never gone left on MD until today. Definitely a good cardio challenge in a couple spots. The views from that section are amazing. J and Steve are great tour guides. They always waited for my slow climbing self to catch up. Some of the climbs are...brutal.

Then came Motorway. . . I didn't know what to expect really even though both the guys explained it. All I can say is ... more, please?

I'll be doing this again. Probably from the B* side next time.

Thanks again to J and Steve for the tour and the whole ride. Steve promised me 4,600 feet, but I only got 4,554. I think he's hiding the extra somewhere...:Roflmao

20170115_120019_001.jpg

upload_2017-1-15_14-38-30.png

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    As @Runs with Scissors said above, we met in the cool crisp air out at the Tree Farm. We went off and started the climb up Silverado Cyn. Lots of traffic today heading into the canyon. Temps would go up and down...got pretty chilly a few times. The warm up went pretty quick.

Short stop at the Maple Springs parking lot.....saw what looked like Strand's van, so we figured he was out there somewhere. Over the gate and noticed my chain was loose...so a quick adjustment and I was good to go. @Faust29 noticed his was a bit loose, and I am a better mechanic, so I quickly adjusted his as well. :rolleyes: The ride up Maple Springs pavement was a social pace and still cool. Once we got into the sun, it finally started to warm up. Onto the dirt, the road was drying up pretty good. Still some wet spots, but no mud. A few stops along the way to point things out. The ride up to 4 Corners went by with little trouble.

Mark's first trip on Main Divide over to Motorway. Gave him a few pointers about where some of the sketchy sections were. Main Divide is beat up, but I've seen it worse....yet it is still really like it. A few more stops to point things out. Didn't clean the big climb after Bedford...the legs were a little tired. We reached Motorway in no time.

Fun run down Motorway. A few hikers about 2/3rds the way down.

The ride back down Silverado kinda sucked, since we were fighting a bit of a headwind.

Good times out there...no crashes, no mechanicals, no tantrums, no drama.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I would have been with you guys but the late (for me) start. I try to be back by 10 AM so I am there to witness people crashing up my driveway and smashing the front of my house. It is quite the thing :)

Mikie, kioti, pperrelle and 5 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    8:30 start with @mtnbikej and @Runs with Scissors from the tree farm...

It was warmer and clearer than on Friday, so I took a gamble and left all the extra clothes in the car... Light wind breaker and two bottles. It felt really nice to not carry all the rain and cold weather gear!

Yeah... Inside the gate, mtnbikej gave his chain a quick adjustment. I may have commented that it takes me 30 minutes in the garage to get mine just right, and it was a little loose... :whistling:

The weather was awesome... And we saw 61 on the Garmin before Four Corners. Short sleeves and no jacket! :thumbsup: On Friday, when I rode in the soup, Maple Springs was soaking wet from bottom to top, and there were spots that felt like marshmallows. Today it was almost dry!

Main Divide was kinda chunky in spots, but we had no issues... And it's better than the 6 inches of moon dust we had in the fall. :thumbsup:

Motorway was quite a bit drier than Friday, and it was just about perfect... We stopped and regrouped a few times, but no issues, and Scissors had a blast!

https://www.relive.cc/view/833330911

Quick break at the end of the pavement
    IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

Four Corners
    IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

I think he's telling me to go do the climb again. :thumbsdown:
    IMG_2519.jpg

Start of Motorway
    IMG_2524.jpg

Mark Bombing the upper section...
    IMG_2526.jpg

Having a blast...
    IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Pic from my MS MW ride yesterday.
    That's Snow on
    San Jacinto
    San Gorginio
    San Antonio (Baldy)
    MT. Wilson
    Plus
    Lake Matthews
    And The Inland Empire

Click on it... Little hard to see
    PANO_20170114_114014.jpg

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I rode my DH bike today - around my neighborhood - with my daughter. 0.5 miles, 57 ft. of climbing.

8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Pretty similar story to @herzalot :

IMG_9028.JPG
    My two year old on his balance bike he got for Christmas. He started picking up his feet and gliding pretty far today. 5 laps around the cul-de-sac, 0 feet elevation.

I also got out for a surprise ride yesterday, just up the bike path to UCI then rode around campus and pretended every set of stairs was a rock garden. Our toddler has been sick for a week, which meant our newborn also got sick, so aside from having a newborn we've been busy. When my wife told me I should go for a spin, I ran out the door and turned the cranks. I hit some dirt here and there so I'm counting it.

9. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    With all the talk of Maple Springs and Motorway on here lately, I've been looking for a chance to get out and ride it ... and I finally got it today. I had to be back to the car by 11, but figured that should give me time if I kept moving. Thanks to everyone on here for their recent posts on everything from parking to trail conditions to that hidden Modjeska Singletrack.

I didn't make it in time to get one of the five parking spots in the lot, but I used the pic from the one of the recent threads to spot the roadside parking just after the last bridge. Thanks! I'd looked at all of the stats and read the ride reports, so I came in expecting MS to feel easier that Harding (which I've done once), but for some reason it felt harder at the beginning of the ride. Maybe it was just colder than I'm used to, or maybe I just underestimated it. Either way, hearing the stream next to the trail made it all worth it. I'm just not used to riding in OC and hearing flowing water! About halfway up, I shed some layers and felt a lot better the rest of the way.

When I got to 4 corners, I figured I could go for Modjeska Peak and as long as I made it back to 4 corners by 10, I should be able to get back to the car by 11. I didn't quite make the peak before I had to turn around, but I did make it to the Modjeska ST trail that was mentioned earlier in this thread, and took it back to 4 corners. It was pretty cool. Loose chunky rocks and being a bit overgrown made it interesting and fun. It seemed a little like a cross between the rocks on Motorway and the tunnel-like feeling of Upper Joplin. I actually enjoyed it more than Motorway, and it was a much more fun way to get back to 4 corners than just going back down the fire road.

I knew the main divide from 4 corners to Motorway would have ups and downs, but I COMPLETELY underestimated how tough some of those climbs would be. My legs were dead by the last couple of climbs, and I kept hoping that Motorway would start right around the next corner. At least the views were spectacular while I suffered.

Finally, Motorway. I remember someone said that most people either love or hate Motorway. I guess I'm one of the few that just thought ... meh. It was fun, but not one of my favorites. Maybe it will grow on me after I ride it again, or maybe it was the fatigue by the time I got there. My initial reaction was that I'd rather ride Joplin, Old Camp, Luge if I'm going to climb all the way up there.

In the end, it was a great ride and a great day to be in the Santa Anas. It was cold at the start, but warmed up to a perfect day. Beautiful views of snow capped mountains, great trail conditions, water everywhere, and no mud. It felt great to get out again after the rains!

10. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    With the wife and kid out of town and muddy trails I was going to plan on a road ride :eek: Thankfully Pete @PATKOUG text me looking for some dirt. I could only think of Sycamore or Santiago Peak. Talked him into the Peak, something he's has not ridden before and might be a challenge since he doesn't climb much. No worries, bailouts everywhere, just turn around. Started at Maple Springs. Wasn't long until we saw some pink grips on a blue bike coming towards us. What's up! it's @mtnbikej! :thumbsup:. Great seeing friends on the trail. After some leap frog, he and his buddies were gone :(. Slowly but surely we climbed. At one point on dirt, a roadie (yes on a road bike on the dirt) passed us. He had some weird sound effects coming from a bike speaker. Getting close to four corners Pete is saying he is done:thumbsdown: but a second wind encouraged him to ride on to the Mojesca turn:thumbsup:. Onward over the rocky section. I didn't clean this part last time during a heat wave but as others have said recently, they are quite packed down now which makes it much easier, and it is. I would have technically clean the section this time but I stopped because I saw something laying on the rocks. A speaker. Made it to the turn. Pete again saying he's done. The roadie was hanging out there taking a break along with some others. chatted with the roadie and yep , it was his speaker I found. He crashed on the rocks and lost it. Glad to give it back of course. This guy was crazy:cool:, He's 27 miles into his ride exploring the mountain on a road bike. Props to him (I saw his strava later :eek:). Now Santiago Peak is staring at Pete. "F@ck it " he says, "Lets do this":sneaky:. Grinded out the last part and success. It was so cool to bring someone up there that hasn't been. Bag that Peak baby! It's all downhill now. Great day:D.

sp1.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp2.jpg

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Nice job to Pete for pushing on. Those are the best kinda rides.

We saw the roadie at 4 Corners and warned him about how bad the climb to Modjeska Peak was gonna be. Was curious how far he actually made it.

Mikie, Cornholio, mike and 4 others like this.
  12. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    @kioti Jim, we rode STT up to Cadillac and down the Luge on Saturday. Your trailwork on the Luge is fantastic! Loving those berms.
    I usually am not a fan of the Luge because it beats up my old bones but I had a blast.
    Just a couple soupy spots just before the flag and just after on the way up to Old Camp but the trails are holding up very nicely after the wetness.

13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks @H2oChick! I'm glad you had a good ride.
    Any bad ruts or other hazards out there ?

bvader, Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I usually get 4600 from the tree farm on this loop. I let Strava correct my elevation yesterday, and it dropped to 4300. :thumbsdown:

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I climbed 1 foot more than RWS......

IMG_2353.PNG

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Never let Strava re-do your data...it usually costs you. :sick:

Mikie, UPSed, Andy and 2 others like this.
  17. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V3, Ibis Tranny
    So, I kind of had the day off today for MLK day. It's a holiday for my employer, but not for my client. So, I figured I'd compromise and get in an early ride then work the rest of the day. Decided to hit San Juan Trail since I haven't ridden it in a while and figured the trail traffic would be lighter than a normal weekend. Took a buddy up with me for his first time. We hit the trail at 7 am. Ran across a few other bikes on the way up. Probably a dozen on the way back down. Trail conditions were great. A little wet in spots, but hero dirt everywhere else. Just did the out and back to Cocktail rock. I always enjoy riding that area and wonder why I don't do it more often.

IMG_0105.PNG IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3612.JPG

18. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    The very beginning portion after the gate has a wash-out area but that was the ONLY area I saw on the entire ride. Your rain diversion on the Luge is holding up and doing it's job. :thumbsup:

bvader, Mikie, PATKOUG and 5 others like this.
  19. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    I road Whiting ranch today, tons of hiker holiday traffic, E bike asshats, and tons of WATER flowing the "dry creek". Mustard was a peanut butter sticky. Cactus had nice berms and tons of traction. For the frst time in a LONG LONG TIME i ATE Sh!t in crash!!!!!!!! That was fun

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I rode... :thumbsup:

Up the Trabuco Wash to Holy Jim... Holy Jim was a little more beat up with all the rain, with a lot more exposed rock in the lower parts leading into the switchbacks. Other than that, it was in nice shape all the way to Main Divide. I saw a lot of hikers on their way into the falls, but only one after the turnoff. And one other biker...

Main Divide was beat up! There were several sections where it was apparent that the water covered at least half of the road... It was bare rock in spots. The bottom of the wall was quite a bit worse than the rocky section before Modjeska. It may now have the honor of being the lousiest section of Main Divide to ride. :thumbsup: I walked...

Trabuco was awesome... I had a good run from the top, and only slowed down for a couple small rock slides. When I hit the water at the bottom, it was pretty cool... Once I found a way across. I've never seen that much there. :thumbsup:

The road out had more hikers than I've ever seen. I probably dodged 75 people between the HJ parking lot and the locked gate. And there were at least 25 cars- all fighting for a parking spot close to the gate. o_O The wash is bad enough now that I passed several 4x4s on the flat section by the airport... On a single speed. o_O

Holy Jim
    IMG_2534.jpg

Main Divide
    IMG_2535.jpg

West Horsethief
    IMG_2539.jpg

Trabuco and West Horsethief junction
    IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Lower Trabuco Trail river...
    IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

21. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Nice going, @PATKOUG, you mountainbikeaneer! Summit and plummet, man. Classic MTB. Ride on :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  22. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    We rode El moro today. Dropped down Red tail ridge, then a very very rutted Deer Canyon to do Ticketron, which was a lot of fun (btw those fools that cut down a trail through the middle, that is just so dumb).
    Down Mach 1, which is definitely lower speed now due to the ruts. I think i can climb, which is still one of my favorite climbs. Then back to the car via Fenceline.
    Loads of peeps out there, which i find actualy just great. People were happy and friendly and just loving the outdoors. The more people love it, the less likely these parks will ever disappear i think. I hope!

23. Maddog

Maddog Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Well, I had the whole day off, since I are a proffessional edumakater :geek:, and rode the Acton trail in of all places, Acton! I posted an invite on Saturday and a few of you stumbled across it over the weekend:inlove: but it actually received more views, likes and replies today after the ride startedo_O thanks to Sylvia! More of you should take the dare from those cute kids in that commercial :rolleyes: and become teachers so you can get all these days off:thumbsup:!

A.T. did not disappoint! Brutal HAB and climbing:eek: but the dirt was hero, weather tolerable and the company terrific! E.I. and Mr. All-is-On were able to take the day off to enjoy the twisty, narrow, rocky, fast, dippy:confused: goodness of this trail. We got 19.7 miles in about 3 1/2 hours. The trail's getting more popular. There were tracks from about 4 riders on the whole length of the trail from Sunday and we met Sylvia on our way back as she was heading up about a mile from the ball fields.

Major props to BIKEMONSTER and his trail crew :inlove: for adding over a half mile to the trail's end since last April! They've been up there at least 3 times since November cutting brush and digging out new trail bed for all of us to enjoy. By comparison, I haven't been up there to work on the trail since, well, last April! I'd guess Paul and his crew have added over 3 miles of trail over the last 3 years. Hill^Billy and I have helped only a fraction of the time those guys have put in! So next time any of you ride this gem of a trail, bring some loppers or a camp shovel and add a little more sweet single track:thumbsup:!

24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    oops, double post

25. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    As much as I selfishly hate crowds, i do believe in this sentiment. But, since my days off are midweek, I dont have to deal with them!

Squidler4, Oaken, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Amen to that, brother!

littlewave likes this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Rode sycamore today with a friend and his buddy. Was suppoused to meet with @Fanatic but I couldn't make on time and after letting him know I was late we did our own ride, 16miles and we did vortex-ammo gullet-fo'shizzle. I clicked on my strava app Screenshot_20170116-121448.png "record" but I don't know what happened that it recorded some crazy numbers... Now I'm KOM and whatnot...check this screenshot.. I was flyyyyyying !

28. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    I ended up getting out on my tour of LCWP's intermediate single track (Lizard, Camarillo, Stagecoach, Fenceline (which is technically in El Moro, so two parks one day!)) with my brother.

There were lots of ruts and moist dirt on Bommer as we headed toward Lizard, but no water or mud. On Lizard there was a little stream of water up top on the rock face and one puddle in the trees on the first section. Otherwise the dirt seemed prime and the trail is in good shape.

We made our left turn at the end of Lizard and started the climb up Upper Laurel towards Camarillo. About halfway up the flat part of the climb we came across some water and mud on the trail but it was relatively small so we rode through. Well three mud puddles later each one bigger than the last, we hit the climb up to and under the 73. This is the last mud puddle.

IMG_9046.JPG

Camarillo was nice and dry, but Stagecoach had some muddy spots, and two spots where there was water weeping from the back slope and then running down the trail like a stream.

Had a nice climb up Willow, made it all the way up without stopping or walking. Hit Fenceline which also had some mud and puddles but they were avoidable if you just bunny hopped them.

I was kind of shocked that the park was open, and thinking back on it we probably should have turned around on Upper Laurel, although I'm positive Laurel Spur had at least one giant mud section, and probably more ruts. Could have gone back up Lizard. I feel bad that we rode, clearly the dirt is so saturated that 3 days and some Santa Anas are not enough for it to dry out. While most of the ride was fine, there were definitely enough areas with mud and water that the park could justify closing the trails.

That said, lots of hikers out enjoying nature, only saw a couple bikers. Stopped and gave some girls directions. They were looking for the waterfall up on the top of Willow. Showed them where they needed to head on the map.

No crashes, no mechanicals, and some bike cleaning when we got home. I'm thinking until we get a solid 2 or 3 week break from the rain, LCWP is a no go until 4/5 days post rain unless we get some serious sun or wind.

IMG_9047.JPG

29. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Well now that you asked...The creek bed "up" before the climb out of The Luge is pretty Trashed / harsh but not sure worth fixing until after next batch of rains.

Cornholio, Kreature and kioti like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Rode from Space Mountain to Dos Vientos and back yesterday. Some areas were already dry but most were still tacky and there seems to be a lot of run off this year. More people than I would have expected for a Monday but then remembered it was MLK Day. Still a great ride. 20170116_105210-PANO-3009x817.jpg 20170116_111108-1612x1209.jpg 20170116_111113-1612x1209.jpg 20170116_113010-1612x1209.jpg20170117_064540.png