I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Wait a second. I was running on Maple Springs this morning. It might have been me. I always like to travel incognito when in the mountains.

$_35.JPG

You sure it was a growl and not flatulence?

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    I bet it wasn't a cat at all...
    wolf.jpg

3. Squidler4

Squidler4 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Dan
    @Faust29 thank you. That was me you warned in the parking lot. Since I have a (ir)rational fear of mountain lions I decided to head home and crawl back in bed with my blankie but, before I left the parking lot, another solo rider showed up. I gave him your warning about the mountain lion. Turns out I have two things in common with the guy, MTB and a fear of mountain lions. He was ready to cancel his ride also but we decided to ride together up to 4 corners instead. I could see your uphill and downhill tire tracks as we were heading up the trail. At some point between 4-5 miles they were gone so I figured we past the point where you spotted the mountain lion. We made it to 4 corners, put on our windbreakers and headed back down. It was a great ride. No rain and cool weather.

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Nice... I was wondering if you made it up there or not. :thumbsup: And nice to meet you... We'll have to ride together some time.

5. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Damn I have never seen one!

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... After turning tail and flying down the mountain yesterday, I needed a do-over. Mtnbikej and I met at the Maple Springs trailhead at 12:00, and headed up the mountain. It was on the chilly side, with low 40s at the start. All of the water crossings were flowing, some as deep as 6 inches, and the rock fall in the road was more than yesterday.

Although it was a balmy 40 at the start, the temp dropped steadily on the way up and we were low 30s at Four Corners. I was hoping that we would see snow there, but no such luck. So, we pressed on to Modjeska Peak. The rocks were as fun as always, but I made it through this time, which isn't always the case. :thumbsup:

We saw a little bit of snow here and there below Modjeska, but nothing significant. If the temperature wasn't 27 degrees, and we had more layers, we might have pressed on. As it was, though, we opted for the chilly descent... By the bottom, I had lost most of the feeling in my cheeks and hands. :confused:

This was probably my last ride for 2016... It wasn't an epic route, but it will be memorable. :thumbsup:

Downed tree before 4 Corners
    IMG_2436.JPG

Looking down from Modjeska
    IMG_2438.JPG

Untitled 2.jpg

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeah, pretty much what @Faust29 said.

First ride for me in a week.....and it felt like it. Legs felt heavy and tired. Maybe it was because we started just below Maple Springs so I wasn't warmed up.

For temps starting in the mid 40's, I was pretty warm for most of the ride up to 4 Corners. I was too warm at times, and sweating too much. The wind kicked up about 1.5 miles from 4 C.

This time I did not make it through the chunky goodness on the way out to Modjeska Peak....the legs said, uh...no. Quick change of gloves and put my jacket on for the DH. Turns out my 40* gloves don't keep you warm when it is 27*. My fingers were frozen by the time we got back to 4C. Good thing you really don't have to use the brakes much heading back down MS.

I'll also add that this was the first time in 4-5 years that I descended down Maple Springs. I felt so lost.

Glad I got out....was going a little nutty. Fun ride.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    A slow trip up the Holy Jims today for the weazl and I. A cold day out once up high. The frigid wind felt good, but we called it at the snowline, conveniently at the top of Upper Holy. We fixed a few ruts on the way up UHJ. The usual fun, classic descent with no mud or water damage worth reporting. No trail users encountered; a couple of motos buzzing Main Divide.

HJims12-16_1.jpg

HJims12-16_2.jpg

HJims12-16_3.jpg

9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nice! Did u HAB up UHJ?

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Yep, and glad we did because some of the ruts were ridiculous and not hard to fix for a fun ride down. Hiking up UHJ is part of my selling it to the wife – she's not a fan of that section of MD to get up there. : )

11. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Correction ...After making a wise decision...

And that seems to be the section where a tree always takes a header...

12. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    i managed to fit in an early xmas morning ride today. Luge loop /extra credit starting at 630. Had it all to myself! Dirt was epic. Moto tracks on Luge:cry:

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Took the new Defy out for its inaugural run...and all I can say is WOW. I like it!!! Hydraulic disc brakes on drop bars takes a little getting used to but man are they effective. Went up GMR and onto GRR - wanted at least 3,000 feet before I turned around. 16 days since my last ride; it's killing me.

Fun times - I even took it a little way out on Monroe Truck Trail, but with 25C tires the mud was a bit much. I'll have to put 32C's on with a bit of tread and try again.

20161226_120210.jpg

upload_2016-12-26_15-3-4.png

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I didn't get out yesterday, so I waited a little bit today hoping it would warm up.

@12:00 I headed out. First thing that I noticed was the cold.....brrrrrrrrrr. Is is spring time yet? The second thing I noticed was the wind. WTF? Wasn't looking forward to spending hours out in the cold wind. Maybe once I start climbing it will warm up. Nope, but I did get to deal with a great headwind on just about every climb. Trails were mostly dry, but there were still some wet spots out there.

View of Chino Hills and beyond, with a splash of white stuff:

IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG

Mixed it up a little bit and started by going through Villa Park instead. Been a while...still a hard way to go. Once in the Oaks, along with the wind and cold were a ton of people. Not a lot of riders, but a whole lotta hikers. Did a little bit here and there. Avoided a few trails I thought would be really bad.

A outta state buddy asked if it was green out there after all the rains....well, it is a little less brown:
    IMG_2267.JPG

Screenshot (96).png Screenshot (97).png

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    @Cougar and I hit Whiting-Luge-Whiting for some afternoon delight (not THAT kind :oops:). Yup - lots of hikers out there - which wasn't all bad. :whistling:

Hero dirt. Cool temps. Whoever did the work on The Luge couldn't have done much better. :thumbsup: Cleaned up some braking bumps, built up some key berms that keep us from plummeting off the side of the trail and left the fun stuff - even enhanced a little bit. Soooo good. I want more!! There were a few new rockfalls onto the trail, but easily circumnavigated.

Whiting was just a hoot. Someone did a little work in there too - just enough. Craig hot on my wheel while I was grinning ear-to-ear. It's not difficult, but if you don't think it's fun - and beautiful - well, there's something wrong with you!

2:20 for the whole figure 8, which is pretty good without actually trying to make time. Not rushed, just not many stops, and none for very long.

Bikes are fun!

16. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I hit San Juan again, some friends wanted to, and I had some blockers that got me there late and WOW there were 50+ cars jammed in the little lot and along the road (most I have every seen). Ooops guess everyone had the same idea.

Cause I was late I had to play catchup, thus I just re-PR'd my Solo PR from last week for the 5 mile climb!... bene's of chasing friends that got tired of waiting LOL.

Good part not too many kooks / Ar$ses. I actually formed a new theory on days like today. When you see a crew / group of guys descending together:
    1. The guys up front are pushing but typically good skill = Moderate Danger but highest Bro Quotient
    2. The guys in the Middle Riding within their skills = Minimal Danger
    3. The Stranglers either trying to keep up or less skilled = Medium Danger: caution they do unexpected things.
    We were the running late and only did up to the rock, cool thing for our descent only handfull of riders on the way up... and YES the dirt was pretty fabulous.

Today I fell into Group 2 :)

17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Best time to ride during winter break: early am jan 1. (oops, there goes my secret!)

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  18. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Decided to go for a bit of a big ride today. A buddy said he wanted to do some stuff he had never done and wanted it to be a long ride. So.... I figured Blackstar, Beeks, MD, Motorway, Maple to 4 corners would be a good option.

It was in the 40's when we left and the breeze was just kicking up, which made it more chilly. Oh well.

I didn't feel good at all up B * and over to Motorway. I felt slow, tired, and had heavy legs. Some of it was probably due to the wind. Then I noticed how soft a lot of the dirt was and it seemed to be creating a bit of drag. It was more likely all of the shitty food I ate over the last week or so. We regrouped a few times and I kept telling him we were turning right at the bottom of Motorway and heading back. I was over it.

Once we got to the bottom of B*, I got that "well, lets just go a bit farther" feeling and told him we would turn around at the end of the pavement. At the end of the pavement I told him "It's not much further to 4 corners, let's just keep going". He was tired at this point but also wanted to push on. Heading up the pavement and Maple, I suddenly felt great. I guess I worked out whatever demons I had in me and was back to my normal speed.

I may have felt better due to the difference in dirt between B* and Main Divide and Maple (firmer and less drag), but I'm thinking it was more me being slow and sluggish for the first 2 hours and then feeling better. My buddy was A LOT closer in time to me on B* and the Main Divide than normal and then once we got to Maple our gaps and difference in pace was back to normal.

At 4 corners we decided to head down Maple and back to the car instead of around to Motorway. We were both pretty cold at this point and wanted an easy bailout.

Train conditions overall were awesome. Motorway was in the best condition in a long time. The rain did a number on the top section. It was loose rock a few weeks back and not it looks like a lot of it got pushed off and more dirt was washed on to it. The rest of the trail is firming up well and there were no major ruts or washouts from the rain. Looks like the drainage is working really well. Maple was awesome. B* is a little soft in spots but will be perfect by Tuesday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/812199760

19. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Did a small ride on sensei @herzalot backyard ToW + Meadows and finished on Coyote run... Good day + new dirt = :thumbsup:
    Lots of hikers and a bunch of mtbikers, cool temps. Some ruts on Meadows but nothing bad, all of it is rideable. There were this part where my tour guide said "what happened to the rocks, now there are stairs!? " anyway we rolled down some stairs and continued on a fireroad and conected to Coyote run, that is relly nice with all that shade !

IMG_20161226_104532.jpg Cool temps !

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Calling @kioti - ruts on Meadows look like they could use some fixin'. ^^^^^ I'm ready to work this week!

Thanks for posting @jaime , although I don't think you can pick a sadder song than Mazzy Starr's Fade Into You. Sorry Meadows was not showing its best self to you today. Without those ruts, you can really press those berms for a nice flowy run - but not with that traffic.

I love the tree sections of Coyote Run. Seems like you're out in some remote wooded area, not in the middle of Aliso Viejo. Riding singletrack through leaves under a canopy of trees is just so right.

Come on down again some time and I'll join you!

21. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @herzalot @kioti if the stars align I will gladly go and help with trail work !! Also there were 2 bikers climbing Meadows and it was hard to get in to the flow....but next time I'll let you know for sure Chris !

22. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    Cruise up Maple Springs to 4C late yesterday. 2nd ride in 3 weeks (1st Santa Ana's ride in I don't know how long) meant we were not going to be breaking any speed records. Also 2nd ride on the new VerHauen... still getting used to the added weight over the Specy, but damn this thing is smooth.

Started about 1, though I've done this ride coming up on 50 times, the pavement section was playing games with me (looking for the steel pole off to the right, 1/4 mile before the dirt, swearing it was around the next corner.... nope). After an extended breather at the big 180 at the end of the pavement, came across some good dirt. Wet but really no added resistance. Came across patches of ice here and there. Hung out at 4C for a bit, talking myself out of going to Modjeska for lack of feeling in my toes and finger tips (I really need some winter gear). Uneventful ride down.... a great afternoon on the bike!

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Nice job....we did the same thing on Saturday. Same thing happened when we got to Modjeska Peak....frozen fingers, and I had cold weather gloves on.

24. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Nice. I think we saw you guys heading up as we were heading down. You were at the first switchback after the pavement.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  25. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks @herzalot and @jaime! Wish I could take you up on your offer, but I'm down for the count with some kind of sinus infection. Hoping some antibiotics blow it away, along with this 24 hr/day rabbit punch of coughing. I'll get well and we'll fix the trail..basic clean-up shouldn't take too long, especially if we get a group together.

26. Dismay

Dismay Member

Name:
    Michael
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Jekyll 2
    Did a quick STT-Luge loop on Monday ~12. Well, I was quick on the downhill - too much boozin over the weekend to enjoy the climb up! Got a PR going down though! The Luge is awesome right now, totally railable with some nice small drops and some surprise rockfall chunk.

27. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Yup, we started out at IRP but decided to take opt for less wind and more temp. Headed to LCWP where we saw a handful of bikers the whole time.

28. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    Yep that was us... looks like you guys turned in a rather hefty ride. Good work, especially riding up a squishy blackstar.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not sure if this counts or not - I rode my bike with wife and kid - on dirt - in Aliso. First time on dirt with the two of them since Tahoe in July. 4.3 miles. 223'. You know it's good when your 6 year old girl quotes Claudio when she gets out of control on the downs!

Tree climbing break at the junction of Wood Canyon...

Ruby iN Tree 12-27-16.JPG

Probably should have kept her helmet on for tree climbing...

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Took the Defy out again today, from home to the FLoop and back. 25 miles, 1300-ish feet. That thing is fun on the FLoop too. I put 28mm Continental Gatorskins tires on it last night, and they do make a difference - but not enough to ride through dry, flour-y silt. :bang:

Fun day. :thumbsup:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?