I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It was actually pretty loose, and I was going to tighten it before this weekend's ride.

On a positive note, I threw it on the scale when I was buying a new chain (non SRAM) and it's now a little over 23 pounds with the bottle cages. :thumbsup:

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    So if someone took your chain would you still ride?? :whistling:

kioti, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I would have ridden the Vista DH without a chain! But, I had an extra link that I threw on...

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Got a late start today. Started out with my wife, then split off shortly after. Knew I was only gonna get in a short ride today. All was going well, then I ran into the ranger riding an e-bike. So I burned the rest of my usable daylight having a discussion with the ranger. Started to cool down just after sunset.

Screenshot (92).png Screenshot (93).png

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    You, or the temperature?:p

Mikie likes this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Bof

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  7. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer T275c
    I rode today with my best friend. A short loop in Dos Vientos. Good times today

Trail Dog.JPG

8. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I was going to ask what chain you guys run. I had a SS for awhile and ran a SRAM PC1 chain, never had a problem with it.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

SRAM chains just don't last. Either they wear/stretch out too quick, or I start breaking them.

Have had good luck with KMC chains. I don't buy SS specific chains. I find I get several hundred more miles out of a KMC x10.93 compared to any of the SRAM 10 spd chains. Same goes for the x8.93 vs. SRAM 830-890 8 spd chains.

I have broken a few of the KMC quicklinks...but I did the same on the SRAM Masterlinks as well.

10. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike today. Yea shocker huh?
    Well after trying to coordinate a ride with the Wednesday crew and failing, I ended up doing a solo loop from my house.
    In honor of the Fullerton loop aka the Floop, I present to you the Sylmar loop aka the Sloop :p

IMG_0131.PNG

IMG_0132.PNG

Once I got above the afternoon haze, the views were pretty nice.

IMG_0127.JPG

Looking back at what I climbed, May canyon.
    IMG_0129.JPG

The descent is a rough, sandy and sometimes rocky high speed fireroad called Wilson canyon that lets out right behind Olive View medical center. Wilson gets really beat up from horse traffic. Lucky for me though the Mexican vaqueros are totally cool and don't freak out when they see me on my bike :thumbsup:

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Classic. Looks like a cool place to unwind after a busy day. :thumbsup:

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Celebrated the weasel's wrap on the semester with a a ride on the Holy Jims. Appropriately casual start and pace. Moria rode well, cleaning almost everything on Upper and going pretty damn fast on Jim...until her dismount dive into the trail with bike going elsewhere. Yay, pads : ) I got chicked in one rut on Upper, haha. Nice, cloudy day with minimal wind. No bikers seen, just a few Santiago peak baggers.

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Playing around... One last ride before the rain!

The downhill is actually worth the climb now... :thumbsup:
    IMG_2397.jpg

Arroyo Trabuco Water Crossing...
    IMG_2402.jpg

Shhh... This trail network doesn't exist... :whistling:
    IMG_2403.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got out before the rain....just, but I got my ride in.

Headed to the Oaks. You could see the moisture in the air. It was warm, but I got chilled out from time to time.

Did my good dead for the day. Found a someone's phone going down Goat. Turned it in at the Oaks office.

Started to sprinkle as i opened the garage when I got home.

Screenshot (94).png Screenshot (95).png

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9

mike and Faust29 like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    10 miles and somewhere between 1k and 2k feet in LCWP. Rode some stuff that was too much for my confidence level, did some walking. Rained towards the end, nice afternoon for a ride.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    For reasons unknown I've never ridden up Holy Jim and looped south to Los Pinos Peak. So today I did, finishing with the drop into Bell Ridge and then Yeager Mesa trail which connects back to Trabuco and the parking area.

This is a really classy forest loop with a spicy finish. So many great views along Main Divide and Los P Ridge heading to the peak. Astounding views of where you're headed, and finally, the ST goods. Tacky conditions overall, with a rut down much of Yeager in soft dirt, still way fun everywhere. Lots of forest users out, the usual suspects crushing the Santa Anas. Cold breezes and lots of nice sunshine, many frozen puddles seen. One sweet loop, guessing 18 mi.

Tom the Bomb, Oaken, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got on my bike this afternoon. Wanted to hit up Maple Springs / Motorway....but when I looked at the temps up on Main Divide, it was in the 30's....and I wasn't too keen on going out in the cold.

So I ended up doing a double loop at the Luge. Trail was mostly dry...a couple of wet spots. A bunch of guys doing work on the Luge.....while it is appreciated, it looked like it was being made too smooth and flowy.

Other than that, lots of people out.

19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    30's on top of Mt Lukens with strong winds. Beautiful day, could see not just Catalina but the Channel Islands as well.

20. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    Hence the name "Luge"….it is supposed to be flowy. Orange County has plenty of breaking bumpy trails. Whiting and Cactus come to mind :)

Tom the Bomb, mike, kioti and 3 others like this.
  21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    i agree, I like smooth fast luge

Tom the Bomb, mike, kioti and 2 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Oh crap - I hope this was @kioti 's group, and not a group of trail sanitizers. Braking bumps needed to be erased, but the drops, rocks and kickers MUST remain. It's called "Luge" because there are sections where it is concave with walls on either side while the trail turns left and right. It does not need to be sanitized to have flow. Removing rocks and eliminating drops should be a felony.

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Arroyo Trabuco 8 mile getaway. Awesome mangy ride!image.jpegThe soil just slurped up the storm water.

The crows have taken over the creek and entire coastal riparian habitat in so cal.image.jpeg They're gangsters. image.jpegI don't like it. Crows should be hunted and eaten.

image.jpeg

24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Nevermore...

Tom the Bomb, mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    This... ^^^ Not my favorite trail, mainly because it beats me up on the hardtail. But, I still ride it, and don't want to see it made more comfy.

Tom the Bomb, bvader, mike and 4 others like this.
  26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    These guys have been working on the Luge for the last few years; we've worked together and they've worked on their own. One of them became a Forest Service volunteer to keep it legit. They're good riders and love the trail, and I have total confidence in them and appreciate their work.

I've got a cold right now, which sucks with these epic digging conditions, but can't wait til I get better and get a chance to ride it! Thanks guys!

27. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Concur. Adding them too.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Hmmm, not sure I concur with the "adding them too" part. Adding rocks and drops may feel (and look) a little like building an Olympic XC course, but many super fun trails I've ridden are super fun because of strategic and intentional rock and feature placement. Most of the trails in Tahoe, for example.

So - trail sanitizing bad. :thumbsdown: Strategic rock placing for increased mt. bike fun good, :thumbsup: when done right.

Hmmmm, so who gets to be the arbiter of what is fun....vs what is too challenging or too simple?

Oh hell, I'll do it! :whistling: :cool:

29. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I agree with that too!

Tom the Bomb and herzalot like this.
  30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Oh man...

Cold today in the Santa Anas. 38 on my bike computer when I started up Harding, and 30 at Four Corners. Strong winds, too. Trail in awesome shape, no rockslides, just nice tight conditions. Some sections of hard frost and crunchy trail even below the Springs. Wind so strong I almost had to pedal to go downhill in the saddle before Four Corners. I was definitely feeling the cold - had to keep biking or die.

I encountered three dudes who were on their way down a little past the point of no return. They probably started out about 6:00 (I started at 6:25). I couldn't tell if they were biking or snowboarding - they had powder jackets on and ski goggles :) I wasn't laughing at them - I was extremely envious.

That was it as far as traffic goes. I didn't see anyone else until I was almost all the way back down to the 2nd switchback.

And for the first time in 40 years... I got home and didn't have feeling in the three small toes on my right foot. Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix - but it reminds me of my misspent youth growing up outside of Chicago - when you wouldn't come in from the snow until you couldn't feel your feet :)

Soooo glad I hit the trails today. Been hard to maintain the rides with the holiday schedule...