I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My condolences Steve. I just lost my older brother to cancer November 1st. It leaves you feeling numb....

But a solo ride up at Chilao gave me lots of time for introspection. 24 miles/2700elev.

Mikie, Oaken, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, Ross... And "numb" pretty much sums it up.

4. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @Faust29 @rossage Sorry to hear about your loss, may God have your loves ones up there and give you strenght. :)

Mikie, rossage, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @Faust29 (Steve from another Steve). I don't really know you but I do know what it is like to lose loved ones. Take care, be careful of "spacing out" over the next couple weeks.

@herzalot and crew, was seriously thinking of joining you, need to come ride / meet you but alas I was one of those up in CNF.

Rode Lower Holy Jim, pretty chilly at the start but was good. I have family health on my mind and took a while to clear it. Climbed OK no speed records set.

Go to the top of LHJ and decided I wanted to ride UHJ after the discussion about it lately. So i rode that 1.5 of absolute .... blechhhh... Pain in the Ar$e Divide up to U Holy Jim. I always know that stretch blows... and I think it was better than last time but it was not fun.

Rested / ate Pic ready for Upper Holy Jim. Well it was a little better than a most time, I dabbed / tripod a couple times but did not get off the bike and pretty much cleaned everything else. The Bronson ate up the chunk, but I was not going all out as I was a bit tired etc. There were 5 dudes on bikes trying to come up and a much more pleasant 2 blond heading up which I help give directions to early.

I got to Lower Holy Jim climbed down and back up and got ready for the decent. A couple mins in I was thinking about my dad. I have a rule... If you are on a decent, and you start thinking about Chores, Work, Family etc... DON'T... clear you mind you shouldn't really be thinking about anything except maybe the next 30 yards or so if that. "Clear Mind and let the Body do its thing"

So the rest of the decent was really fun, but not all out. Then on *the last* little stream crossing up through the Holy Jim gate I was "loading up" so that I could clean the ~ 6 ft of rocks and pretty significant roots. The light has mottled, my timing was bad and I loaded up, right on a square edge rock. PING! wow, eat all 150mm travel, tire and still banged the rim.. well maybe I was moving a bit. Had it checked out at the Path, Rim is not cracked thats the sticker, not leaking and tire OK. (not sure how that works but OK). I will keep an eye on it.

Fun day, plenty for me.
    Screenshot_20161204-171326.png
    Top of UHJ
    IMG_20161204_112818.jpg

Rim

IMG_20161204_133044.jpg

6. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sucks to hear about your losses guys. Remember the good times. I've been through similar experiences and found that MTBing is the best therapy.

That said, we met up with Ray, Ryan, and Dan aka @Grassblade23 for a ride at the fabulous Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. Rode our usual route from Jensons to the north end via Rattlesnake and to the south end using a variety of other trails. At one point rolling down some rock, I forgot the line I usually take and stuffed the front wheel. It threw me OTB instantly. A couple of minor scrapes here and there but I'll survive. The bike was OK:thumbsup:. I climbed back up to roll it again , had to redeem myself, didn't want that monkey on my back til next time. Sessioned some other drops, rollers and small jumps for some time until the crew started to get tired. No other crashes or situations, just good times.

SycimoreDec4'16.jpg

Mikie, Marty657, BeckTrex and 20 others like this.
  7. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    @Faust29 , Steve, my deepest condolences to you and your family

8. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Great day of riding today with some awesome peeps @herzalot @Cougar and Scott, thanks for allowing Jose and I to tag along in your "backyard".
    I'm starting to remember some of the trail names in my head, and some sections are becoming more familiar. Totally different feel on the trails today since I brought my Enduro this time around. Got to ride Lizards a little more aggressively, even chased down a rider on a hardtail that was in "race mode" :whistling:
    As Jose and I were getting ready, we noticed people riding towards the trailhead wearing arm warmers and some were wearing vests and windbreakers o_O the temps were in the 60's and absolutely perfect for riding!!! Geez, I could live near the beach for sure :thumbsup:
    I only took a couple of pics, I'll edit and upload from my phone...

IMG_3757.JPG

9. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Grego like this.
  10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    BFG monkey still hanging on???

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    I'm sorry to hear that Ross.... May he rest in Peace!

Very sorry for your loss Steve. Blessing to you and your family....

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  12. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    BFR is not a monkey, it's a gorilla! And yes, still hanging on.:notworthy:

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Iron Horse Quantum/Chumba XCL
    Nice pic of the boys descending, Grego.

Right as we entered the trail, someone hollered "Chumba?!"
    Chumba Sycamore 4 Dec 2016.jpg

There are nice views out there.

Sycamore Big Pano.jpg

14. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom Zusag
    @Faust29 sorry to hear that news bro.
    ride on!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  15. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Duuuude you should have jumped in with us. We had a blast!
    Definitely gonna go back next chance I get

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Who is farthest behind in this photo?

Oh yeah, it's me. (sigh...) :(

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I made it out to Whiting Ranch today with @jaime and his buddy Raul.

I did the cattle pond for my first time and cleaned mustard. My legs are coming back.

WR.jpg

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, bvader and 5 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Mustard hurts... Even on the best days. I'll have to join you for one of these when the stars align!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  19. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:

@Fanatic great meeting you !! Good ride with a friend from Corona and a new friend from Imtb !! New dirt for me...Mustard...well next time I will conquer it with more sleep time for me since only slept 4 hours before the ride !!!
    IMG_20161205_091729.jpg
    A flat within 5 min. into Whitting :stop:
    IMG_20161205_100741.jpg
    Good weather all morning :thumbsup:

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    ^^^^ Whiting is the least likely trail system to dish out a flat tire. :confused: Glad you had a good time on the new dirt.:thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  21. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I must have hit glass in the parking lot. I went flat on the first descent from the statue. I have never flatted at Whiting.

22. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett Robinson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Lizard --> BVD --> Fenceline/Missing Link. Ruts on BVD were awful, and I almost stuffed it on the very last rock roller at the bottom. Fun morning to ride, park was EMPTY, and cold.

23. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    At least you aren't so far behind you aren't even in the pic! /proudslowclimber

Tom the Bomb, Luis, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  24. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Rode MTT , Monroe (NO) Truck Trail, 8mi up then 8mi down. Trail is in excellent condition and the lower first 1.5 mile rock garden is ever changing. Cool temps and only 2 other riders. Used to ride this several times a month but got away from it for some reason, need to get back on it.
    20161206_125551.jpg 20161206_123725.jpg
    20161206_100549.jpg 20161206_101201.jpg

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Bell Trail with a short dose of extra credit off the beaten path, and a quick descent to the bottom of Starr Rise. I'm feeling better, but the heart rate is still out of control! Too many damn chicken wings...

Bottom of Starr Rise...
    IMG_2341.jpg

RSM Lake...
    IMG_2345.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

26. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Thanks for the motivation definitely on my soon to do list.

27. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    I've decided to try and get as much saddle time on the SS bike for a few reasons. First, I was off the bike for a couple of weeks with a bad back and what little fitness I had took a dip. Second, with the shorter days and weather, I'm just not getting on the bike as much as I was able to during the summer. Third, it's just plain fun! I've done all of my rides this week sans gears. Hit Blackstar at lunch today. Was planing on just making it to the Mariposa sign, but I was feeling pretty good when I got there. I took a quick break to check emails and everything at work was moving along as it should have been, so I decided to head to Beeks. It was my first time up on the SS and it actually wasn't that bad. Unlike @Faust29 and @mtnbikej who I've ridden up with before as they sat and spun up the hill, I spent most of my time standing. Nice to sneak out and get a ride in during the daylight with mild temps.

IMG_0099.PNG IMG_3469.JPG IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  28. Andy

Andy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Depends...
    For the past 2 or 3 weeks, I've been feeling :poop: on the bike, no energy, just doing it because, well, I need to...
    Today however broke the cycle (no pun intended).
    Felt good, not tired, and could've done more if wasn't for time constraints.
    Hope it lasts, at least for a little while!

Buck Gully

2016-12-07 11.26.36.jpg

Say hello to my little friend

2016-12-07 10.44.21.jpg

29. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Tryin to ride as much as I can with this weather, lovin it! Today I rode one of my local routes, quick little break from work during lunch, with these temps I can do that now.

From Chantry parking lot up to San Olene for a warm up and views and then down to Winter Creek Hoagees Loop. Only dabbed a FEW times as opposed to MANY as I normally do and cleaned some sections I never had before, yes!

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Mikie, Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.