I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Faust - you saw what I have planned...

And I got to ride my bike another 35 miles today. A couple hundred feet of elevation gain, too.

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I did see that. I'm not sure I have that much in me! My performance at Temecula was less than what you're planning, and I bonked pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Is that an all pavement route?

4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    100% pavement. It's prep for the Crusher, 4 weeks from tomorrow. I'm not sure I'll get all the way to Dawson Saddle...it's a goal, sort of a moving target. But I'll at least make it to Crystal Lake and back, and that's roughly 10K ft of climbing. As to how long it'll take - last year it was 7.5 hours total time. This year, who knows.

Edit: Although we can convert 16 miles of it to dirt by going up Lower Monroe on the way out, and down Lower Monroe on the way back.

My plan is to depart GMR/Sierra Madre at 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Did a fun whiting Luge ride. Trails are in great shape, got foggy as I went up the trail and cooled down a lot. Is it really June?
    I'm riding enough lately where my climbing is going to another level. So fun to just ride my usual pain level and making noticeable progress!

Takes some "creative scheduling" but can get out once or twice a week after work now. :D

6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I did Snow Summit all day and I have determined that it is not for me. Luckily, Skyline is easily accessible from the lifts and you can descend that all day. Miracle Mile is pretty fun too, but those 2 jumps on it are too hardcore for me. I rolled up to them and changed my mind too late and cased them both pretty hard. The wooden booter looked welcoming like a Mammoth one, but when you get closer you see the lip on it... it was then I knew I f'd up. In other news, I contributed to adding braking bumps to just about every corner. Thanks to my efforts, I can foresee the place being a good place to test suspension, to tame all that chatter.

I had a couple of crashes over the course of the day. One because my pedal clipped a tree trunk, leading me to go off the trail and just get a little scrape on my elbow. Another I just froze up, focused on a tree on the left side of the trail that I don't think I could've avoided considering my situation, and slammed on the brakes, but still rammed into it. The tree was about 3" thick and over 8' tall, and gave enough that it didn't do any real damage, besides bust my dropper remote lever (Command Post)--the cable noodle thing got crushed and snapped the lever pin.

Here's the raw shaky footage of my 1st Miracle Mile run:

[youtube]jWVg2-REM50[/youtube]

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Looks like you had a pretty good run, especially for your first run of the day. I am disappointed to see that they took out a challenging section with rocks and replaced it with a wooden boardwalk. Miracle Mile at least has some chunk here and there - bummed to see them dumb it down. You skipped some of the fun stuff at the bottom by going straight and doing the berms on the ski slope under the chairlift rather than turning left across the man-made rock garden and staying in the trees. I imagine you did that route in later runs. I like those sections, and I much prefer Miracle Mile over the jumpfest that is Party Wave and Westridge. I am looking forward to seeing them include more steep, roots and rocks in the future, and the beginner run to separate the herd.

Good job and thanks for sharing. :clap:

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Nice run in my local hills, as featured in the July issue of Bike magazine. Weather was cloudy, cool and humid. 3 climbs, 3 fun descents. Not very crowded. Bike worked flawlessly. No falls. It was a great morning ride, especially after watching that crazy finish to the WC DH race in Leogang. And now it's time to alternate schoolwork and playing with my kid. I feel truly blessed. :wave:

9. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    The short rock garden before the boardwalk was clogged up with walkers on my other runs. Didn't know what it was like before. Traffic jams at that left-lower section too, which alerted me to it. I jive more with the chunk over the jump line for sure.

Run into a lot of different types of riders up here. I shared a chair up with a ~12 year old kid with a KHS DH bike that says he likes Whistler and the trails up there like Crab Apple and talks about the new A-Line having longer jumps and being higher speed altogether, and said that D1 is the hardest trail in the entire park for him. He said I'd like Top of the World and that he likes to link that up with Freight Train. I saw him with his dad at the bottom in casual clothes, pushing around his DJ bike. Ran into Ed/Tiki, as usual, but he looked labored already by 9:30, probably doing that SoCal Enduro thing. I ran into XC racers preparing for the Sunday race on Skyline, with them letting me by, and then actually keeping up with me in the smoother sections. Once I crossed the road to the Fern area, they got smoked big time. :lol: One caught up with me on the fireroad back to SS, and I had to see what bike the guy was on: a brown colored steel Niner SS with belt drive.

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I did not do my planned ride. It was hot, I got a late start, and other excuses. So just rode Hwy 39 from West Fork trailhead to Crystal Lake and to the 39 road closure. Was going to head up to Islip Saddle but the officials were out and about. So only 29 miles and 4,330 feet.

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    And I didn't go because your planned route scared the heck out of me! This would have been nicer than what I did.

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Average temp: 93 degrees
    Elevation gain: 4,300 feet over 14.3 miles
    Some killer views.

Pain.

I still have to do the planned route next weekend. I tell myself just start earlier and go faster :p Interested now?

The spring along Hwy 39, about 3 miles shy of the Crystal Lake turnoff. Aka "Critter Creek."
    20150614_101524.jpg

20150614_120707.jpg

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Oh man... If you're doing all pavement, I might tag along on the old Schwinn. I'm hitting the wall, and think I might need to switch to some long spins. Is there a bailout option?

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    When you get to the East Fork/Hwy 39 intersection, you can always turn left and go back down into Azusa and then back across to the start at GMR/Sierra Madre. The GMR climb is about 2,300 ft.

Of course, you can turn around at any point on the Hwy 39 climb and do the same thing. ;)

15. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Rode Wrightwood today with Madog, we had ourselves some hero dirt, and great riding temps to top off a beautiful day! Couldn't join Mikies ride yesterday but Madog posted a second chance so I took the offer. Did a different route than yesterdays ride. Rode from Jackson Lake up to Table Top, down TT, up through the resort to Grassy Hollow, to some SOT, to deliver us to the Deer Trail, down the DT to one of my favorites, Boy Scout down to the lake. We encountered no hikers or bikers on the trail.The tally was 19 miles and 2,800 ft. of climbing. Just another beautiful day of which I am VERY thankful for! :cool:

image.jpg

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I will check with the wife, and make sure we have nothing going on... Will it be an all pavement ride again? If it is, I might seriously consider the old green Schwinn. If not, I'll plan on the hardtail. I'm not familiar with the area at all.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So I went out for a quick spin yesterday:

Literally....Ended up having to work, so my wife wanted to check out Lizard Trail....so we did.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/324873285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/324873285</a>

12 miles / 1900' accent

Oh, yeah....I did a little spin today as well.

Had to go out and get redemption for failing so bad at 12hr last weekend. Really wanted to get another 100 miler under my belt. Well, it didn't happen today either...but I still got in a good ride. Blackstar/Coal Cyn/Chino Hills/Weir/Oaks/IRP/Peters....

Got hot out there....bonked about mile 60.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/325714433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/325714433</a>

83 miles/8850' accent

Screenshot (33).png

Screenshot (34).png

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    What the hell is wrong with you! :? :shock: :eek: :cool:
    You have a condition... :lol:

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    [youtube]1o0Vv8lr41w[/youtube]

20. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Dude, I'm worried that some senator or state rep is going to crack down on you for posting that, since all your breathing is "adding greenhouse gases" to the atmosphere, more than if you drove that much! :roll:

When the default zoom shows your GPS tracks along with the map of almost 2 full counties... :shock:

21. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Out in Colorado Springs for work this week.
    Enjoying what's best about colorado, single track and beer.

rps20150615_164421.jpg

rps20150615_165418.jpg

22. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1

... in my book you are #1.
    Thanks for making some/most of us.... feel the urge to go and grab a beer and take a seat on the couch and be typing in this tread instead of ride those kind of distances !! All jokes aside, YOU are wakko !! [emoji16]

uploadfromtaptalk1434439519347.jpg

23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I snuck out and it felt great! Sunday was long and slow, today was short and quick. :)

My only stop was on the Tijeras Creek Trail under the bridge at Antonio Parkway. I spent some time talking to an older rider who was out there having fun! I really hope I can still push the pedals when I'm in my 70s, and I'll be happy if I look 1/2 as good as he did.

20 miles- a little over 2 Herz units, a few PRs, and a lot of fun- even though it's the same dirt I always ride when short on time! :D

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/326719985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/326719985</a>

24. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    All the roadies waved, I must have dressed better..

CAM00365.jpg

CAM00364.jpg

CAM00363.jpg

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Very nice!

26. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Having a beer and watching the fire burn...

IMG_20150618_183656_981.jpg

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    3.2 miles, pacing the kid on her 5k run. Any time on the bike is good time on the bike. :cool:

28. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    So this is what's going on while I'm at work. Not on the trails but at least he's riding his bike. :D

0099.jpg

DangerDirtyD and doublewide like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I dunno, looks a little lippy... :wave:

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can't believe we used to hit jumps like this on BMX bikes.

DangerDirtyD likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?