I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    You're right there! I hate that paved climb to Sunset with a PASSION!!

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I did that exact same route with Jose on Sunday :confused:
    Hate is too kind a word for that climb :gag::poop:

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Forgive me father.....I have Floop'd. It has been many years since my last Floop. I swore off the Floop after my last transgression out there. However, today....I was lured back out to the Floop with promises that were unfounded.

My wife hooked up with Fullerton Bikes for a Giant demo. She wanted to try out a 27.5+ bike they were going to have. I wasn't going to ride today since I was gonna put some miles down the next few days. I couldn't let her pic a bike out on her own, so I accompanied her....with the promise of going to Sonic after the ride.

Well she liked the bike....but after some debate, we decided that it was not the right bike for her. She is sold on 27.5+......so we will have to decided what to do. Anyway, she is fighting a cold and started to feel crappy midway through the ride, so we skipped the last part of the Floop.

To top it all off, we were running late, so no Sonic. :cry:

I came home and scrubbed myself clean in the shower, but I'm affraid there is still a little bit of the Floop stuck to me.:gag:

Screenshot (64).png Screenshot (65).png

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The Floop? Did you take your 6" travel bike? I heard it's pretty rough out there... Camelbak? Extra Tailwind? :p

I took a quick spin to see the new Vista Trail in O'Neill. I say "new", because it was closed for a few weeks while they made improvements... Basically, they rerouted the entire bottom half and made it flowy! Sort of a mini-Meadows. Well... It will be flowy once the dirt settles in. They brought in a lot, and it needs rain. I also saw that they brought in a ton (or three) of new dirt on the descent off of Chiquita Ridge (part of the Rwanda ride by Coto de Caza). Enough dirt to change the grade of the descent in spots...

The first 100 yards was steep and really rutted... Now it's smooth and flowy.
    IMG_2076.jpg

The trail was about 10 feet to the left of my bike...
    IMG_2077.jpg

Completely redesigned... It used to be a plunge through this section... And a lot more swoopy turns were added below this section. :thumbsup:
    IMG_2079.jpg

mike, tortoise, Cisco Roots and 9 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yep, I rode. Met up with @Faust29 and @singlespeedrider for a jaunt up Black Star to Hagador. They were headed on to Motorway - I wasn't completely sure I could make that. At Hagador I turned around, they continued. I went out to Sierra Peak just to see if I had it in me on a route where I knew what to expect. Turns out I probably could have made the ride with them, but I sure would have slowed them down. Had a blast, thanks guys for going slow for me up to Hagador. :thumbsup:

upload_2016-11-12_12-29-33.png

20161112_094522.jpg

20161112_102350.jpg

mike, tortoise, Poofighter and 12 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    You would have been fine! We stayed with our new friend for the rest of the ride... I hope he checks out the forum. There was a lot of stopping, chatting, and pointing out the sights, as it was his first time on that section. :thumbsup: Good ride, no pressure... Motorway seemed a little looser today, but it was probably just me... We stopped and chatted a few times on the way down.

I ended up with 26 miles and 4300 feet. You ended up with a bigger ride than we did. o_O :p

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    We rode our bikes today...
    @Voodoo Tom , @Sasquatch9billion , @bigringrider101 , with special guests @Mikie Robin Mcguire 's! What a great surprise!
    Mrs. McG brought her most famous cookies, and afterwards I supplied the Modello brew.
    We hit Golden Eagle trail for a perfect cruiser in the saddle. High clouds with perrrrrrrrfect temperatures!
    To be honest... I had an awesome day with people I really care about. Bikes truly are fun!
    I didn't even bring a camera but I know that Mrs. McG and Sasquatch took some pics so i hope they post them up...
    goldeneaglcruiser.PNG

mike, tortoise, Poofighter and 17 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Mission totally accomplished. Goals today were simple, ride some real dirt with my buddy @Mikie, and not fall off my bike and and damage my already injured body even more. Anything else would be considered a bonus and there was lots of bonus material. Got to see & ride with our precious McG's @Mikie Robin Mcguire once again and of course there were a couple monster hugs and cookies. Berni @bigringrider101 the energizer bunny showed and made us sit around and wait for him for like 2 hours(or 20 minutes) while he did some extra credit. Trinidad @Sasquatch9billion decided to come have some fun & claim bff honors today from Robin. Planned on cruising all day and playing it safe but that went out the window when we turned around and started going downhill. Tried to keep Mikie honest which I was able to do on the middle bushwhacking section of trail but as usual he dropped me like a bad habit on the lower bombfest section. Such a great day to be on a bike with such great people. Thanks guys & gal I needed that...

mike, Faust29, tortoise and 13 others like this.
  9. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    It's a Blue Wave led by Mrs McG.

IMG_4632.JPG

herzalot, mike, tortoise and 16 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    @Sasquatch9billion, where's your iMTBtrails flag?

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    As much as I wanted to do GE today I decided to stay local so I'd be home at a decent time. A buddy of mine was riding Sycamore Canyon so I decided to join him. He generally doesn't do big rides but I guess today was different. A few others joined us and we had a great ride. More bike pics.20161112_113547-1008x756.jpg 20161112_113618-1008x756.jpg Screenshot_20161112-162314.jpg

mike, tortoise, Grego and 12 others like this.
  12. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    We got to ride our bikes today on the Golden Eagle with some of our IMTB family it was a perfect day in every way with some of my awesome Bff's! It always a treat ride to ride with our IMTB family and get my hug fix. Thank you! Mr. Watson, Bernie, Voodoo . & thank you Mr. Watson for setting up the ride P.S. got me a new bff Squasquesiee! Thank you! 20161112_092925.jpg 20161112_092921.jpg 20161112_093032.jpg 20161112_105241.jpg 20161112_142225.jpg 20161112_114838.jpg :) . feel the ♡ You guys are the best

mike, tortoise, scan and 19 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, at that point, you could have just continued on with them and done some new dirt.

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Hagador was new dirt. Never done it til today.:geek:

15. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Oh man, too much good stuff today!
    @DangerDirtyD l'm just waiting for the long sleeve!

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

mike, tortoise, Grego and 15 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Yes, yes I did. Bad back and all. I figured maybe some exercise would help. My back did not hurt a bit while riding. The jury is out as to whether I will pay for it tonight and tomorrow.

Just an afternoon Aliso romp. I started at 2:45 and noticed two things - very few people on the trail, and the sun sets about 4:35pm. :eek::thumbsdown:. The slightly techy Meadows Connector trail is no more. It's now a graded 6 ft. wide sanitized path - or actually it will be. It's still under construction (destruction). :mad: No more miraculous Brian Lopes videos on that section.

Oh yeah, and I was passed up Cholla by an e-mt. bike. Again, the rider looked perfectly capable of actually pedaling. He slipped a bit on the slight tech at the top and had to get off. At the top, he looked exhausted, I just kept on riding by. He passed me again on the way over to Meadows. His motorcycle couldn't handle the hill on the upside, so he had to push, like the rest of us. Soon, none of us will need to push there.

Another installment of TECRIL. (The Endless Cholla Rock-It Loop). Coyote-Cholla-Rock-It-Mathis-ToW-Meadows. 1800'

And now it's off to school to watch a play. No rest for the weary.

mike, tortoise, scan and 16 others like this.
  17. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    ... wha? /shakesfist

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got out for a ride for the last day.

This was the weekend for Non Dot Adventures Casper's race. For the last couple of years they have a camp out the night before the race for the volunteers. So like last year, I chose to ride out.

So I left home about 12:00, and headed through Oaks, then Peters Canyon, then along Hick's Canyon Trail, before doing some road miles over to Whiting. Up Borrego/Mustard/Mark'sBench/Cactus, then up Concourse to meet up with my friend Jeremy who would be joining for the second half of the ride. My wife met us there to grab his gear. We rolled out 3:45 knowing we had about 16 miles to knock out by dark at 5:00.

So through O'Neil Park, then Dove Canyon to Bell View Trail and down Star Rise to our campground. We made it down Star Rise with just a little bit of usable light. Made for an incredible sunset out there.

Fun around the campfire and an early turn in time.

Woke up this morning to be treated to breakfast. Once again welcomed by a hell of a sunrise.
    IMG_2115.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG

Mr. & Mrs. Mtnbikej
    IMG_2117.JPG

Helped out with the parking for the race, then headed out to our spot on the course. We could have taken the easy way to get there.....yeah, right. We took East Ridge up, then dropped down to our spot at the bottom of Oso/Cougar Pass. After the race was complete, we continued on to complete the loop.

Went back to camp, broke down camp....Jeremy and I headed home. Star Rise was not pretty, but I cleaned it. My Garmin beeped at me saying "Low Battery" 1/2 way up Star Rise. The ups and downs along Bell View were a little rough. My legs were arguing with me because of the large breaks/stops this morning.

Back into O'Neil Park we were heading down to go up Monastary Rd. At the end of the pavement we ran across these ladies...
    IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG

Dropped Jeremy off at his place then dropped down Concourse and finish up the Whiting Loop I started yesterday. More Roadie miles down Alton, Irvine Blvd and Portolla, before getting back on Hicks Canyon Trail. My legs decided to leave me while on Portolla...about 20 miles from home. Eventually made it back to Peters Canyon, then back over to Oaks, before rolling home. Going through the gate into our complex....2 minutes from home, my Garmin died. D'oh!!!!!

Good times no matter what.

Screenshot (66).png Screenshot (67).png

mike, tortoise, Grego and 16 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

And the guys who actually did the race think they got the workout... :eek:

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

True....I think I got more out it then they did. :D

21. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    So we can access the trail and cross over to meadows/MS during the construction? i figured it would be completely closed during that... I havent even looked (or ridden much lately)

Sasquatch9billion, kioti and Mikie like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    It is completely closed. Kind of like Telonics is completely closed. Well, a little more ominous since there are signs and stakes and heavy equipment. There's also a well-worn path made from the hundreds of bikes who have been using the trail while under construction. Me and e-bike dude laid down some extra tracks on top of the well-worn new path.

Faust29, Sasquatch9billion and kioti like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What on earth does this mean? Last day of what?

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Couldn't really say "i rode my bike today", as the ride actually started the day before.

Instead of breaking my ride up into an "out" and a "back"....I just let it run for one big ride. So my elapsed time showed 28hrs. So technically I rode my bike for the last day.

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    Hear this, hear this!

Sasquatch9billion likes this.
  26. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Posting a little late, but better late than never. Veterans Day ride with @xhuskr from Whiting to Luge. Thank you to all that have served and are currently serving.

20161111_115111.jpg

herzalot, mike, tortoise and 7 others like this.
  27. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    For my once a week ride today... I did my first ever Maple Springs to Motorway loop with @Faust29. It was very much a social pace for Faust, and while I wasn't busting my ass, I still averaged 164bpm and was struggling to keep it near/under 170 while we were climbing.

It's a good route though as far as climbing up into the Santa Ana's. Not nearly as tough as Harding or Lower Holy Jim. Probably near to Blackstar (Although Faust said that Blackstar is easier /shrug). There were a few climbs once we hit Main Divide that I walked, but that's not unusual for me.

This was only my second time down Motorway, and the first time I did it without stopping. That trail is steep and exposed, and for the cherry on top it's loose. I felt like I was constantly on the brakes the entire time, and perhaps with a few more runs down I'll have a bit more confidence in my stopping power. I felt that if I wasn't always on the brakes, the traction was poor enough that I didn't feel that if I was wide open that I'd be able to stop in time if I suddenly needed to - whereas if I was on the brakes already, I could. Shrug. It's a fun trail, sketchy, but fun.

~17 miles, ~3300 feet, 3hr moving. Not fast, but good company and great weather (it started off really chilly though, dang). Thanks for posting the ride Faust!

herzalot, mike, tortoise and 11 others like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The secret to the Motorway.....is to not fight the Motorway. Ride light and the let the bike move around.

Also knowing where you can just let it go....and what sections you need to brake in....this is where the trail knowledge comes in handy.

It's a fun loop.....would've loved to have joined, but just wasn't in the cards today.

As long as you had fun, it was a good ride.

herzalot, tortoise, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  29. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    This is great info. I used to ride the brakes and fight the trail. Now it's a light feather of the brakes and let's the bike skate around staying in the center of the trail. I enjoy descending motorway it has turned into one of my favorite trails over the years.

tortoise, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Well I rode the wifey's bike today but since I bought it it still counts here. It wouldn't be Sunday if I didn't ride with Rusty & the family. The Mrs needed a break from us boys(mostly Rusty) so she stayed home. Nick got to try out his new imtbtrails jersey that he's been wearing for the last 2 days straight. He said it worked great and gave him some extra power on the big climb up the canyon.
    IMG_4973.jpg

Oaken, Mikie, Poofighter and 18 others like this.