I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Eight riders rode their bike yesterday from South Fork SART to Redlands: TtB, Dio, Rossage, Grego, Vincent, Jeff, Todd, me. Great riding and lots of fun was had in perfect conditions.

Big thumbs up to the crew, and especially to Tom the Bomb for organizing, leading and executing. Honorable mention goes to young Vincent for making us old people look our age, and to Jeff for doing the last third with no back brake.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Actually, we went to Mentone, Uncle Howie's to be exact. TTB did an awesome job lining it up. Dio brought the insanity and made sure there were numerous saftey meetings-which led to only minor crashes-good job Dio! Grego brought his 14 year old phenom son-Vincent who effortlessly led the pack up Morton peak-only to be pipped at the summit by @mike. Jeff without a rear brake still rocked some of the sketchiest downhills and Todd gave up his chances of finishing first just to be able to sweep the trail for stragglers. I was there, rode my bike, had a lot of fun, and ate some pizza. A good time was had by all.
    Now we just need TTB to post up some pics!
    38 miles, 3100ft elevation gain. Miles of smiles....

PATKOUG, Tom the Bomb, Grego and 8 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    3 hours at an average of 157 is a good workout! More than I can pump with the old ticker... :thumbsup: Even on my death march days, I can't average over the low 140s. The gaskets would let go.

You don't need the elevation gain to work the ticker!

Runs with Scissors and Cornholio like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode my bike yesterday a little bit. I saw the doctor on Thursday, because the left hand was still hurting from my fall off the Hell Ride Turnip Truck. He said there were no bone issues, but I should absolutely not ride the race this weekend. So I loaded the car Friday night, conned my reluctant wife into being my pit chief, and headed to Temecula bright and early on Saturday for a few laps around Vail Lake in the heat. What happened to cooler November temperatures?

The course was different than the others I've done, and this was the first race I've seen without the Bridges climb. It was replaced with the Dam Climb... 650 feet over 1.3 miles, with several flat sections designed to give hope and snatch it away. I cleared it once, then got progressively slower as the day went on and I walked more and more of it. :whistling: On lap 4, I believe, I was passed by Tinker as I was walking the steepest section. I was near the top, so I jumped back on and hung right with Tinker... For about 100 yards. :thumbsup:

There were also some true rocky sections that claimed many a tire. Mine included... :thumbsdown: Tire issues plagued me the first two laps, and I lost a ton of time. Vinny from Team Ninja saved me from the walk of shame after I cut my own spare tube. And I felt lousy until I took a break after lap 4. I'd been using my Tailwind, but just felt off. My wife had a Red Bull in the cooler, so I said, "What the heck...". That stuff is like rocket fuel. I felt better on laps 5, 6, and 7 than I did at the beginning. :thumbsup:

The course also included my absolute favorite single track down a narrow spine off the ridge. Very fast, very flowy, and very narrow on both sides. :thumbsup:

Part of Pit Row
    IMG_2022.jpg

Just before the Start... At the back of the pack
    IMG_2024.jpg

5th race (?)... First time seeing the lake
    IMG_2026.jpg

The last of the light...
    IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

My favorite part of the course... Fast ride down the narrow spine
    IMG_2039.jpg

Madeline Bemis... I'll be able to say, "I saw her before she was world famous." :thumbsup:
    IMG_2050.jpg

There were more single speeders at the start of the series in January. Wher'd they all go? Who cares? I'll take 2nd for the series. :thumbsup:
    IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

12 hours strava.jpg

5. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @Faust29 Well done sir and congrats to you, the temps were high 80's in Corona, I can imagine in vail lake were higher... You are #1 in my book :thumbsup:.
    Good report and nice pics.

Tom the Bomb, Cornholio and Faust29 like this.
  6. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I rode my bike today like a wuss. It was the first time out on the fat bike and the first time out after a little crash this week. On the FLOOP you can do no wrong.

IMG_1236.PNG

IMG_1234.JPG

PATKOUG, Tom the Bomb, Oaken and 10 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    TtB SART ride terminus:

800 E Lugonia Ave
    Unit A
    Redlands, CA 92374

:)

PATKOUG, Tom the Bomb and rossage like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oops! I always thought it was Mentone.
    Carry on....

Tom the Bomb and mike like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I had a choice today: finish up with the swap to standard tubeless valves (like an idiot I forgot I'd need to retape the wheels) or take the road bike out.

Of course I rode the road bike. Trail's End to Maple Springs pavement end. 31 miles and 2,800 ft.

That last 3 miles past the gate is kinda hard on the road bike. But I did it and even rode into the dirt!

20161106_104005.jpg

upload_2016-11-6_12-44-42.png

10. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    So bronson is 27.5? Was really wondering about any differences in DW vs VPP. I just demoed pivot mach 4 and SC 5010 and they both climbed well, shocks opened. Hard to compare the 2 when the setup is not exactly equal, e.g. shock pressure, tire pressure, gearing. I'll need to demo more but the pivot had a little bit better feel.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    A little XC ride on one of my faves today. Backbone to Mishe Mokwa and back. Apparently my new Jet can do it all. Best average mph went from 8.9 to 9.9, 15 PRs, 3 cups and 1 KOM. Okay. I'll stop bragging. I love my new bike and as @dstepper says, "new bikes are fun!".20161106_081542-1600x1200.jpg Screenshot_20161106-124040.jpg

PATKOUG, Cisco Roots, Grego and 11 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I rode my bike today with @Danimal @Cougar and friend Scott. Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting. Nothing special to report. Went up to the spot I used to call "Chris' Turn Around" but I now call "Craig's Non-Cleat Release Tip Over Spot" - based on our last ride up past the Luge. We did see three hunters in full camo with rifles above the Luge on STT, then on The Luge when we returned. We didn't see any deer. I had a smoker on The Luge - and I think Craig and Dan also had one of their best runs too, in spite of slowing for men with rifles.

3000' a little over 19 miles. Perfect weather. Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    @Faust29 - you look strangely lucid on the podium. After your report last year (or was it earlier this year?) where you were hearing voices, that's quite an improvement. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  14. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    I rode Maple Springs to Motorway for the first time. I used to ride it all the time on my KTM and would think the mtn bikers were crazy to ride up it. Well, today I was one of the crazy ones. Maple Springs wasn't bad, but we did have to stop to regroup a couple of times. It was just a constant grind. Those last two climbs on Main Divide on the way to Motorway were tough. I've never been down Motorway and had no idea what to expect. Loose and rocky is what I got! Two in our group had OTB experiences. Lol. Luckily I wasn't one of them.
    IMG_0095.PNG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3336.JPG IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3341.JPG

15. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    What he said. Wasn't my best climbing day, but after an early over-exertion, I just focused on my breathing to keep my heart rate manageable. Didn't do too bad of a job at that point, and it left enough gas in the tank for a good run down the Luge :D

PATKOUG, Tom the Bomb, Grego and 5 others like this.
  16. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Bronson Yes 27.5. My First One.

VPP vs DW link thats a long conversation, of which I can only tell you my opinion. 4 years ago when I rode my first DW... it was awesome, I came form a Horst Link Ellsworth Epiphany no slouch in its own. The Pivot DW *was* and still *is* awesome, it truly is a great combination of climbing and descending platform. When I compared the Original Talboy VPP vs the Pivot DW it was a no brainer for me. It was more solid pedaling platform and the bike was overall stiffer (too me other can disagree) so that is how I made my decision.

When I re-started my bike hunt, I thought wanted another DW *but* strangely enough Pivot doesn't really have a 150mm bike with the new long and low geo. The Mach 6 really didn't do it for me. Also I rode that Nomad in Whistler and I was stunned by how well it climbed. So I widened my search.

Now with the "New" VPP (its really gen3) I think the new VPP and DW have a pretty similar / closer feel in the sense of a pedaling platform and then excellent / consistent through the rest of the stroke, and then of course all the little variables of tuning, tires, riding style etc but I think you can't go wrong either way.

I think Pivot and SC make excellent bikes. I loved the Quality and Stiffness of the Pivot Frame, the DW and the Ride. Also Pivot treated me *really* well when I had a minor self inflicted issue. I am getting to know my SC, but have many happy SC friends. So far So Good!

I think the 5010 vs Mach 4 is an interesting comparison and they are really 2 very capable bikes BUT there is a significant difference. On a medium, The 4C head angle is 2.2 deg steeper, that is *a lot* and the wheel base is about 1.5"shorter than the 5010, those things together mean "On Paper" the 5010 is going to be more comfortable as the terrain get more technical / steeper or as the speed increase. So are you leaning more XC/Trail or Trail. Also depends on your skill level.

In the end you really can't go wrong either way, but if you are going to ride steeper / tech stuff I would lean towards the 5010. I suspect there will be a 4C update at some point soon to compete in the long / slacker geo trend.

Good luck!

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I learned! I stopped riding about 7:30, and the wife and I snuck out for a quick sushi date, and then came back. Some hot green tea and raw fish work wonders!

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Nice job....

The Dam Hill climb is so much better than the Bridges climb. Yes, it gets ridiculously hard after a few laps...but I would so rather grind that one out all day than blow up on the Bridges Climb.

So tire eater was the rocky section about 1/2 way through the lap on the ST that goes off to the left?

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I was wondering if that was in the route you did? It really looked like new trail... Drop down the fire road after the Dam Climb, and then hit a single track on the left at speed. There was a rock feature at the top to navigate between, several mini rock rollers, and sharp rocks the whole way. I saw quite a few take a tumble on the first rock feature, and quite a few who walked the mini roller drop... 2 basketball sized rocks that you had to hit in sequence.

mtnbikej likes this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    So I rode my bike this weekend.

I did help out at Revolution Bike Fest.

Saturday I was scheduled to lead the Maple Springs / Motorway ride. Well, a couple volunteers/ride guides didn't show up for another ride, so I was moved. No problem. Ended up taking a group to Holy Jim / Trabuco. This would be new dirt for most of the group. Tried to keep the group close since I was the only guide. We regrouped at Holy Jim Parking lot then began the climb. A couple of guys were falling off the back a little. We got pretty stretched out going up. I hung towards the back keeping an eye on the back riders. Once at Main Divide, the front of the group headed off...we were supposed to regroup at West Horse Thief so I could get a head count. Before we got to The Wall, one of the back riders pinched his tire, he pumped it up and seemed to hold. At the top of The Wall saw him flip his bike over....OK, now we are gonna change a flat. He seemed a bit unsure of what he was doing, so I jumped in....I knew I could get it swapped out quickly and back on the trail. He gives me the tube and I put it in.....PROBLEM....his Ibis rims are very deep, and his tube has a 32mm valve stem. Barely stuck out the rim. Was able to get the Co2 injector on it....no way the pump would work. It aired up and we were on our way. Well that didn't last long...it was soft, and he was out of Co2. Fortunately I had a tube in my seatbag with a 48mm valve stem. So I swapped the tube out for the second time. We were pretty far behind at the point. Pumped it up high, could not afford another flat. By the time we got to WHT, the group was gone. Maybe they are waiting at Trabuco. When we reached Trabuco...no group. A couple guys in the front group knew where they were going so I wasn't too concerned. Roll on down Trabuco...the 2 guys were pretty spent. Make it back to Trabuco Creek Rd....then down to Holy Jim Parking lot....that's where we ran into the rest of the group changing a flat. Apparently they had a bunch of flats on the way down Trabuco. No crashes....only mechanicals were flats.

Sunday I was scheduled to lead a group to.......wait for it.....Holy Jim / Trabuco. However everybody but one rider flaked. No problem, I was there to lead a ride, so we were off. Older gentleman from Phoenix. Getting a personal tour of a great Santa Ana's loop. Climb up HJ went much quicker today, even with a lunch break just past the spring. Took a long time for my legs to warm up today. Main Divide was a little slower, but at least we were moving. Temps were perfect....a nice breeze blew along the Main Divide. About 1/4 mile from Trabuco we came across a brand new Jeep Patriot/Liberty that had rolled over and was blocking the road...2 trucks stuck in front, and 5 behind, plus a couple motos...so we just rolled through. Once on Trabuco my ride partner was having a great time....handling it all great. He would drop off the back from time to time, but was smiling the whole way down. We ate a lot of dust going back out the canyon. He really enjoyed the ride.

This was the first time I had ever done HJ/Trabuco on back to back days. Today my legs started to feel better about 1/2 across Main Divide. However it was cool to see it on back to back days.

Screenshot (56).png Screenshot (57).png Screenshot (58).png Screenshot (59).png

PATKOUG, mike, RS VR6 and 13 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup....it was a spot I had point out earlier as being a bottleneck. Fun section.

pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    There was one other short single track that I did twice, and then they rerouted the course and kept us on the fire road. I heard someone say that they deemed it unsafe. The lousy part was that I had enough speed coming off the single track to clean the punchy climb that followed without pedaling. Staying on the road gave me enough speed for half the punchy climb... :gag:

Edit: @mtnbikej - This is the section that they rerouted. :thumbsdown: After lap 2, we had to take the road around to the right.

HBkites, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

That is such a great section......you can fly down the road, fly up that, down the other side and up the next one without ever touching the brakes. Sucks they rerouted it.

Faust29 likes this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got out today for my first post time change afternoon ride. Got out late....so it was a full on sprint to get my ride in. Rolled over to the Oaks. Got in the climbs I wanted to...but I was pegged the whole time.

Got dark way too quick. :cry::thumbsdown::(

At least I got out.

Screenshot (60).png Screenshot (61).png

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A quick out and back on the Bell Trail to Caspers. I only took one bottle, and it was already getting warm by the time I hit the little park before the drop... And the water was off! So... No drop down Starr Rise. Stick to the ridge for a quick 20 miles and 2000 feet.

First ride since my 70 miler on Saturday. Yes, it hurt a little as the muscles woke up. :whistling:

IMG_2063.JPG

I need to try one of these at some point...
    IMG_2065.JPG

26. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Rode Oaks with BeckTrex , Vince, and some Floop friends. B's, Peralta, Goat, Bee, B's, Robbers Peak, Coachwhip, Goat, Chutes ended up our non-planned course. Vince hits the Bush drop at Robbers Peak:eek::thumbsup:. I crash attempting Sketch:cry:. Good times were had. Pic of Cactus. Don't know how we left this out :notworthy:.

oaks.jpg

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I rode my friend's bike today, in Aliso. Perfect temps between 4 and 5pm. Rode Lynx to check on some trail work @herzalot and I did a few weeks ago. Made it down in one piece and then hike-a-pedalled back up it. The repairs were holding, but will need more rain and repacking to solidify. Then rode Rock-it, checking some trail work from last spring. It's holding up better than I expected, since the soil was getting dry on the last day, but apparently there was enough moisture for a reasonable pack.

I haven't ridden those trails in quite a while, but the Ripley rolled over the rough stuff pretty well. Climbed Cholla on my way out in the last light of the day. It was a quiet evening in the park and good to be out there.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode my bike last night.....Blackstar to Motorway was on the ride for the night.

Met up with @pperrelle , @Ebruner , @Dirtrider.... and my friend Hugh.

Pace at the bottom was a little quicker than I had anticipated, but it was fine with me. Hugh pushed on to the top of Hidden Ranch, the rest of us were social.

About 1 mile from the top, we started to feel the wind finally blow. Blowing pretty good at Beeks and then up to the Doplar Ball. Hugh and I parted ways with the others and continued on. It just kept getting worse and worse on the way up to Hagador. We called it at Hagador....bagged the peak and headed back. The wind was even worse once we turned around.

By the time I got home and looked at the wind data...gusts were 30+ mph..........I really do hate the wind.

Screenshot (62).png

Screenshot (63).png

PATKOUG, Cougar, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  29. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    IMG_3711.PNG IMG_3712.PNG I rode my bike yesterday with @rossage
    Early morning meet up at JPL, then rode up Brown Mountain to the Ken Burton trailhead. Back down Brown to Millard Campground, up the connector ST to Mt Lowe FR.
    UP the paved road from heck to the top of Sunset ST. Down sunset and the connector to Millard. Back up to El Prieto and out to JPL.

Great study in contrasting equipment. Ross: Full rigid Santa Cruz, great for kicking my arse on the climbs. Still flies on the downhills but forces him to choose his lines wisely.
    Me: On my full on squish Enduro, suffered on the climbs but ballz out on the descents. Especially on Sunset which is in extra chunky mode right now.

Good times!

PATKOUG, Cougar, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  30. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You forgot to mention 22 miles and 4004ft elevation gain. The 2 miles up the road to Sunset is worse than the 6.7 miles up to KB.
    Luis pulled away in the chunk as I was bobbing and weaving like Ali in front of Frazier. Crazy moment when my left handgrip hit the wall as I was rolling a huge drop. Was able to pull off the move and all teeth are intact.

herzalot, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.