I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Yeah, my wife thought that too but I told her "No honey, no P.E.D.'s for me! That's all natural! :thumbup:
    Thanks for the compliments guys!

2. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay

So you've impressed the wife and the guys ........sounds like one of those weird ED commercials.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwcJPgxFHr4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwcJPgxFHr4</a>

3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Quick after work evening ride at Exploration after work. 91 deg at home 75 in running springs. Yaaaaaya! Nats were a pain, need a net.
    Trail is awesome but they cut out the log roll. :(

4. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    We all gotta die somehow! :crazy:

5. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yea... so about that bold part. Broke the 5th metacarpal. The hand was swelling pretty big today and it started changing colors on me, so I bailed out of work a bit early and had it X-Ray'd. Broke. Oh well. Just need to be out of my cast in time for the Aliso Race in July (splint right now, too swollen for a cast today). Wife is understanding, broken bones are going to happen in this sport... especially when I step it up and go to competitive things :)

I have almost zero pain though, so as far as breaks go, this is fairly mild. Thankfully, it is my non-dominant hand. So I've got that going for me.

6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Awe, you broke your pinkie :D . That's the same one I broke a couple years ago, and it sucks, you can't believe how much that thing does for you on the bike. Get it fixed right, I still don't have full movement (can't make a tight fist with the pinkie) and grip strength and positioning on the bars isn't optimal on rough stuff. I think I was back on dirt after 6 weeks, but your may not be as bad (or worse) than mine so YMMV. Good luck and heeling vibes!

7. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Ditto getting it looked at! I broke/hurt my pinky, for the second time, about 2 months ago and it still has a little pain. Don't realize how much you use and need the pinky until you can't use it! Both injuries are bike related so I'm thinking maybe it's just in the way... :cool:

8. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I think we need to start a broken bone/ injury thread... Let's compare! Like the love scene in the first Lethal Weapon...

Edit: I read that the actress who played the annoying psychiatrist in all four movies passed away today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Doc recommended not to have surgery/hardware, I think because it was a small piece of bone broken off, and it somewhat shattered, if memory serves.

010 comp.jpg

10. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    It was 105° when I got off work at 4:00 pm today. It was still showing 98° when I started riding at 6:00 pm.

Man, that was kind of stupid, but still beat not riding at all. That is my story, and I'll stand by my decision to ride in heat so bad, I only saw three other people lacking the same survival instincts as I. Stupid was my theme this afternoon as I also left my gloves at home. I ended up cutting the ride a little short since my hands were beginning to sweat so much that I felt like i might get blisters from my grips if I continued riding up hill and sweating profusely.

The Weather Channel sure shat the bedding on today's forecast. It was predicted to be either 91° or 93° today depending on what time you checked this morning.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Daddy Dirtbag! You always make me laugh out loud with your wit and humor! Thank you so much brother! :lol:

Uhhhh, and I didn't ride my bike today... :shifty:

12. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    And now its in the 70's with monsoonal rain! Wacky weather.....

13. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay

Pimp hand strong, huh? :D

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Yikes, even I wasn't crazy enough to ride in yesterdays Castaic inferno. Today's humidity is a different story though.

15. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    What a difference a day makes. Quite possibly the best cycling day of the year. Just a few drops falling here and there the whole time. Cloudy, humid, and cool compared to yesterday, but not cool enough to require more than just a jersey. Quite a few riders on the trails today. I rode a couple of trails I had not yet been on, and loved both of them.

First of the previously-unsampled-by-me dirt was Skid Marks. Then, on the way out of Charlie Canyon, we detoured up and around on the trail they call Sunset. It is so named for the view you get as you come back out of this 'side canyon'. I would have taken a pic, but I left my phone in the car as I was unsure I would be able to keep it dry for the duration of the ride.

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    HAH!
    I rode my bike today!
    I drove home and rode local, it was starting to rain as I left. When I got to the 3 mile climb it was pouring. No jacket, wore my regular reading glasses, no camelback, just a jersey, herzalot's favorite lycra, helmet, gloves and shoes. Was soaked by the time I got to the top to turn around...
    On the return climb to my house, I met Cathy at the bottom driving down to bail me out. She rolled down the window, I yelled, "I'm finishing this!"
    When I got home she told me all the radio stations were in emergency broadcast about flash floods.

Sometimes you just got to do Sh!t like that to remind yourself you're alive... Reminds me of character, fortitude, tenacity, and what America used to be made of... yah know? I feel good!
    Anyways got 14.5 soaking miles in 1:24:04 Moving Time and climbed 2,378ft of Elevation.

17. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yah, I know. Good on you for kickin your own a$$ in the rain!

Mikie likes this.
  18. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    Roadage. Camp Nine. Bear Divide
    CAM00334.jpg

CAM00357.jpg

CAM00361.jpg

CAM00343.jpg

CAM00338.jpg

CAM00335.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Road dork!

Mikie likes this.
  20. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    But look at all the twisties I got to dork my way down thru!
    I did dress like a dork.....baggies, camelbak, longsleeve TLD jersey. No one would wave at me!

Mikie likes this.
  21. hill^billy

hill^billy MTB Addict

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Sucks being middle aged don't it? ;)

Mikie likes this.
  22. jaime

jaime MTB Addict

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    FYI .... sometimes when I go to tijuana, I got HGH for some friends at work, and they say its pretty good,they refer to it as "The Youth Fountain" PM for more info $

Mikie likes this.
  23. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    g

steroid-abuse.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
  25. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    THANK YOU!

Can we get back to the intent of the thread? Short ride reports and gratitude for the chance to ride...

Mikie likes this.
  26. scottay

scottay MTB Addict

Name:
    Scottay
    Yeah, stop with the broken bones stuff!!

Mikie likes this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode my bike today, twice. I am grateful for the chance to do almost 40 miles a day just getting to work and back home.

Mikie likes this.
  28. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Rode today after more than a week off the bike. Hit Aliso since I hadn't been there in almost a month :eek: Felt real good to get out.
    Trail notes: The berm work on 5 Oaks is holding up well but some of the straight chutes are getting powdery. Rockit is good shape... felt good to make the step up after the rock garden... I'm pretty hit and miss on it but starting to figure out the timing. Mathis has been graded so most of the ruts are gone and there's a hard packed line from the bottom. Not sure what they do different on it than LCWP, it's not powdery or loose at all, prob the soil type(?) Lynx is also in good shape but I still can't go so fast on the top after my and Herz' crashes up there a couple years ago, still a fun trail after getting around those first couple corners. The hump at the end of coyote is about as good as it gets, hope it holds up for (and after) the non-dot race, that section always seems to get loose in summer.

edit/add: Also, all the narrow foot bridges over the creek crossings are gone, even the one at bottom of the hill below the Lynx exit. Bike will look like a real mountainbike after a ride there, dirty... unless you are real good at bunny hopping 4 foot creeks :roll:

That is all, stoked about biking again :thumbup:

Mikie likes this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Today was just a nice spin on the bike... A little warmup on the pavement, and then the fun little section from Robinson Ranch to Dove Canyon, and onto the Tijeras Creek Trail to the Los Flores community. I had a pretty good time going, maybe even a PR. Then my headphones snagged on a low hanging branch at the construction area when I tried to take a little shortcut back to the trail. :oops: I spent several minutes extricating the shredded remains of my $29 Apple headphones from the rear cassette. Maybe it's time for bluetooth headphones.

Out to the road, down Waterworks... Some unhappy student emptied his school folders 1/2 way down the trail. Back to RSM on the Arroyo Trail, enjoying the muddy water crossings. :)

Oh well... 20 miles, a little climbing, nice weather, and a good muddy sandy ride. I'll be cleaning the bike before it gets ridden again. Maybe a long ride on Sunday? :D

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/324027386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/324027386</a>

Mikie likes this.
  30. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb MTB Addict

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Wed. night night ride was good. Met Eric and Mike on the trail along with T-2 Tom. We dropped the saddles and hauled the mail all the way to the parking lot.
    Bikes are bitchen!