I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I rode my bike(s) today. Sorta set this weekend aside for the family. Unfortunately for them I woke up early and since they(including Rusty) were still sleeping I took off without them. Since the Ripley is in a sad state of disarray and has parts strewn all across the garage I’ve been riding the Kona for the last couple of rides.

First ride was at o-dark thirty leaving from the garage. inspired by @Grego I threw some skinnies on the Kona to change things up a couple weeks back. This ride was a mixed bag of blacktop & fireroad & even a little single track and fence hopping and for the first time I actually liked these tires. I tried them before on my stiff as a brick aluminum hardtail and hated them but on the Kona with some squish they felt way better. Silent and fast and light they work good on the smooth stuff but don’t get me wrong they absolutely suck on dirt and especially sand which we seem to have a lot of now thanks to this drought. First ride was 22.5 & a little over 3k and I was home by 8:00am just in time for breakfast. Rusty was perched on the corner of the couch waiting for me to get home.

700 x 35c gravel tires look downright goofy on the Kona but I bought em so I gotta bern em up.
    IMG_4873.jpg

Rusty saying “you know you still gotta go out & ride some more with me right sucka?”
    IMG_4880.jpg

Second ride was after breakfast (man I’ve got a great wife). Rusty gave me just enough stink eye when I walked thru the door earlier that he guilted me in to going again. Naturally we took moms orange bike. This ride was only 7 miles but it was just what Rusty wanted. Considering how warm it was I was quite surprised to see as much wildlife as we did. We saw 5 deer(one with a nice rack), two coyote’s, a roadrunner and more rabbits than I could count.

This is what doggy stasis looks like
    IMG_4888.jpg

Rusty also made a new friend with his brother from another mother named “MoMo”. Vizsla’s are a rare breed so to run across another while we were out on a ride was a big deal.
    IMG_4890.jpg

That’s it & bikes are fun...

Marty657, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 17 others like this.
  2. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I rode my bike today.
    Correction
    Burt and I rode our bikes today.
    Let me try one more time.
    @burt rode his bike today and I ate dust all day long.
    Backbone trail it kicks my butt every time.

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4494.PNG

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Has a cause ever been determined?

Mikie likes this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Trying to up some of my numbers to prep for Hell Ride! Got out today kinda late so it warmed up on me. 26 miles, 2,700+ though. I ran out of gas, so couldn't do the full run out through Hulda Crooks to Jedi/Monkey Fist, but not too bad a ride overall!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/738604715

30165565276_01587b0965_b.jpg

30085403882_4824448ae0_b.jpg

29570706373_6deddff38c_b.jpg

Luis, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    WTF? 7300 feet of climbing? Where is this - because I want to stay away :) My out and back to Santiago Peak in the Santa Anas is 4400 feet - and I think I'm doing good :)

You need to invite Hertzalot to your next ride.... just to hear the expletives :)

Mikie, Faust29, pperrelle and 3 others like this.
  6. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    If ya gotta ride blacktop and fireroad, you might as well have some fun with it. Looks good!

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Technically, I was invited to this ride (as was everyone on IMTB) and I didn't even curse at all! ;) I simply shook my head and said some smarta$$ comment about how much fun the ride looked. :eek: Ain't no way I'm joining a ride that climbs over 4000', nor am I likely to join any ride with Berni - I would simply be an anchor. Apparently the man flies up hill and does so for hours on end (along with Burt).

Props to the climbing gods of IMTB, (and their friends named Amy). :thumbsup:

Luis, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I haven't seen anything in the news...

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The section of the Backbone Trail that I rode with mtnbikej was a lot of fun... Narrow, twisty, mild exposure... You'd enjoy that one in a smaller dose!

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Nice little spin today, black star, skyline, eagle, motorway and the pavement of maple. Got hot and the last section of pavement on maple sucked after black star and eagle but a nice spin in the Santa Ana's.

Mikie, Grego, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I rode the Luge!

But I may have taken the long way to get there. Out the front door, down my newly discovered single track that drops to the end of the Trabuco Wash, up the wash, up Holy Jim, across Main Divide to Santiago Peak, down Harding, up Modjeska Grade, out Santiago Truck Trail, down the Luge, down Live Oak Canyon, and through O'Neill.

It was hot, so I turned off the temp reading on the Garmin. :thumbsup: I went through 64 ounces of water in the pack and a full bottle from the house to the base of Harding. There were quite a few people out there today. I ran into three groups of hikers on lower Holy Jim, several motorcycles up on Main Divide, several Jeeps, and two groups of hunters... But the most interesting was the two black Highballs at Santiago Peak. One new carbon model and one carbon model that was a few years older. Nice...

Holy Jim was much more enjoyable on the way up with the worst sections trimmed back, and some of the looser sections filled in. Going downhill has to be a riot right now...

I'm going to clear this one of these days...
    IMG_1837.jpg

Zombies?
    IMG_1839.jpg

Had to take a break in the sun to escape the bugs at the top of Holy Jim
    IMG_1841.jpg

Bomb craters below Santiago Peak?
    IMG_1843.jpg

Clear Day at Modjeska
    IMG_1845.jpg

I finally made it to the Luge!
    IMG_1854.jpg

I was up there!
    IMG_1855.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/739906881

https://www.relive.cc/view/739906881

bvader, Luis, Cisco Roots and 13 others like this.
  12. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I like this loop. I have done holy Jim trabuco Cadillac luge O'Neil but this is even better.

Mikie, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Soooooo.....no 2 Bottle Roulette on this one? :gag:

Nice ride in the heat.

Mikie, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Uh no... 8:00 start. I wasn't sure I'd make it up there with the pack. The wash was nice and cool, as was the beginning of Holy Jim. As soon as I hit the switchbacks, the temp just spiked. It actually felt nicer after the peak in the saddle, but Harding and STT were downright toasty. The water I got at the base of Harding was hot soup by the time I hit STT and did nothing for the cotton mouth. I actually dumped out what I had and refilled the bottle in O'Neill. That was nice...

temps.jpg

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I like this one... But I really wanted to press on to Motorway. My dwindling water supply made me opt for Harding. In the cooler temps, I should be able to make that (or farther) pretty easily.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    After being out in the heat yesterday....I chose to sleep in and wait for the cooler afternoon temps.

Headed out at 3:45 or so...it was warm, but not hot. Met up with Hugh at the base of the Dam Hill. Climbed up Oak, and dropped down Yucca Ridge. At the turn to Coachwhip, Hugh heard a noise in his wheel. We climbed up Coachwhip to Deer. This is where we discovered that he broke a spoke on the front wheel. His ride was over. I continued on. Did a few more climbs and a few more DH's. Legs felt good after yesterday. No knee issues today. As it got closer to sunset, the temps became quite nice.

Would have stayed out longer...but the later start I ran out of daylight.

IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2006.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2009.JPG Screenshot (19).png Screenshot (20).png

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Marshall Canyon solo. 12.5 miles from garage. Marshall Canyon needs rain to tamp down the powder from grading and equestrian activities. I was very safe. image.jpeg

18. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Rode my bike with Scan, Hillbilly and Scotay at Wrightwood. leprechaun, dear and Boyscout 2 Sundays ago . Had such a good time took T-2 back out there last Sunday to show him the good. Great riding out there and 15 degrees cooler too.

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode my bike 2 Sundays in a row. One with Scan, Hillbilly and Scotay up at Wrightwood. Then took T-2 up there the next Sunday to show him the Boy scout goodness, saweeeeet baby! In between bombed Marshall on Wed. night wth T-2 and Cisco.

hill^billy, Grego, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I rode my bike last night. In honor of @rossage , I went and found some of that cool mountain air... Actually, the plan was made before Ross published his masterpiece, but the story flows better this way... :thumbsup:

I started from just inside the Maple Springs gate at 5:30, as the parking lot was "closed" after sundown. Mtnbikej rode from home. Would you expect anything else? So one of us began the Maple Springs climb with cold legs, and one already had 19 miles under his belt. The Maple Springs climb is becoming one of my favorites. Although the first 3 miles are on steep pavement, it goes by quickly. At this time of day, there were several cars making their way off the mountain. Once you hit the dirt, it's only another 4 miles of climbing to Four Corners, and most of it is a pretty easy grade. Slightly harder than Black Star, and quite a bit easier than Harding... At the top, it was time to turn on the lights and make our way across Main Divide for 6 miles of up and down. Although the temps were chilly, it never felt really cold, and the views were perfect in every direction. Crystal clear all the way to the coast, and inland...

At 4 Corners
    IMG_1865.jpg

Also at 4 Corners...
    IMG_1872.jpg

View of Corona from near Bedford Road:
    IMG_1875.jpg

There were a couple hunters making their way down. From the empty trucks, it seems the deer were smarter today. The large climb after Bedford was much easier on a short ride, and in the dark. That climb is depressing if you can see it... The 53 degrees on the Garmin helped also. So, I manned up and cleared it. The next time I have to walk it, I'm going to feel like a wimp. :whistling:

A friend at the base of the climb: Jason spotted him. I probably would have squished him unknowingly
    IMG_1876.jpg

I'm still new enough to the sport that I hadn't tried Motorway before the closure went into effect. I'd done a lot of the other trails up there, but had never gotten to Motorway. It was on the list. Now that I've been down it a couple times, it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. It really has a little bit of everything: quick and flowing, steep and chunky, switchbacks, exposure, water bars. It's all there in a 3 mile long descent that loses over 1800 feet. And it can be done in a 17 mile loop with less than 4000 feet, so you don't have to be Johnny Spandex to get out there and enjoy...

IMG_1877.jpg

tortoise, Grego, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    As @Faust29 eluded to.....we got out to enjoy our local mountains on a quiet weekday evening.

Since I don't know how to do anything the easy way....I decided to add in some extra credit and ride out to meet up. Quick spin through the Oaks then the long slog through the Santiago Canyon...followed by the 5 miles of uphill in Silverado Cyn just to get to the base of Maple Springs.

It felt cold in the shaded areas coming up Silverado Cyn. We rolled right on time....still a bit cool in the shade, but we still had some pockets of sunlight. While I got a bunch of extra credit miles to start with, my legs were a bit tired at the beginning of Maple Springs. Still the climb up the pavement, while steep in places is generally pretty quiet. There is always that sense of relief when you reach the end of the pavement and hit the dirt. Although the first mile on the dirt is probably the steepest. While the temps were nice and cool, the humidity was up....and I was sweating up a storm.

We made 4 Corners just at dark....perfect timing.

Sunset....looking out over the coast
    IMG_2015.JPG

Not a full moon yet, but it was pretty bright....
    IMG_2016.JPG

We were definitely not going to be setting any PR's going across Main Divide tonight. Fired up the lights and headed off. This is such a fun place to ride at night. We got to the powder puff section quicker than I thought....and it was fun and tricky at the same time. Passed the 1 vehicle out there just past Bedford. The big climb after Bedford is a biatch....but in the dark, you can't see the top....so it does make it a bit easier to just grind it out. Faust made me climb it.

In short time we reached the top of Motorway. Quick break and we were off. I do really love Motorway....and I really enjoy it even more in the dark....just so fun.

At the bottom, we parted ways, and I headed down the canyon. Stopped in the Silverado General Store for a quick snack. It was cold......for the first time I had to pack arm/knee warmers and my jacket....and my feet still got cold. The rest of the ride back through the canyon was pretty uneventful.

Not bad for a Tuesday evening ride.

Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (23).png

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    A 52 mile Tuesday night ride... I can't wait until @herzalot sees this. :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, jaime, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Word is that there were remnants of fireworks found in the area of Fern Spring (fire origin point, where the spring box is in Faust's photo), and those remnants are or were being dusted for prints. I haven't read this on any news outlets, but heard it from the HJVFD chief. The timeline would support late-night knucklehead activity. We really need to bust these MFers and send the message that doing stupid sh_ in the forest has all kinds of consequences.

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I also noticed a lot of spent shotgun shells on the entire length of the wash to HJ parking lot the other day... Speaking of stupid things in the forest. The trail made me think that someone was driving and blasting away...

25. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Quick spin after work. Fun times, Herz has gotten into my head on Camarillo though, and I'm not cleaning Herz's corner. Gonna try the up and over the rocks line next time.

Fun ride, felt strong climbing, only had to walk up one section on Stagecoach (other than the mandatory no bikes allowed climb).

Forgot to turn the Strava on until part way into the ride.

10 12 16 Ride.JPG

Grego, Mikie, mike and 10 others like this.
  26. Andy

Andy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Some type of Santa Cruz...
    Been meaning to cross Coal Canyon off my list for the longest time...

Did it this morning, then headed to Sierra Peak.

Once I got to the top of Coal Cyn, I passed through the cloud layer - what a beautiful day! I do love it up there.

Anyway, here's a pic (from the top of Coal Cyn looking south-ish)

2016-10-14 08.57.34.jpg

jaime, Grego, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I rode not today....but last night.

Started off as a casual social ride with a friend. However shortly after we made the turn and started climbing out of the canyon....he popped a spoke. So he turned around.

Since we were gonna be racing the dark anyway....I was able to push on faster by myself.

Caught up to my other riding buddy towards the top:
    IMG_2043.JPG

Made it to the gate, didn't stop...turned around and headed down. Made it back to the truck with plenty of time to spare before dark.

Looked up to see the almost full moon...
    IMG_2044.JPG

Screenshot (24).png Screenshot (25).png

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I rode 4 times this week - twice to work and twice home. The wind seems to have shifted from its normal direction, so it was a better workout than usual going home. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Boy, was I lazy today. I did ride my bike, but I woke up at 7 (am, not pm) and wasn't sure what I wanted to do - except I didn't really want to do the FLoop today. So about 8:45 I had the truck loaded up with the bike and other accoutrements necessary to a ride, and took off. Ended up at Black Star. At the start it was about 65 degrees, but sunny with a slight breeze. Absotively, posilutely the best riding conditions.

It never got really hot, just a couple spots where I actually broke into a decent sweat because the breeze was blocked. I was figuring I'd hit at least Hagador today, but my legs went AWOL, grabbed their toys, and sulked as I started uphill past the Golf Ball.

Oh well, there's always another day. Still a great ride and great fun.

upload_2016-10-15_13-22-46.png

30. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    As @herzalot mentioned elsewhere, we set out on a Whiting - Old Camp - Luge - Whiting run today. A bit bigger of a ride for us, tacking on Old Camp. In the end we managed to do it, although we were both hurting in different ways near the end. Chris cramped up briefly on his push up to the Luge flag, and I just was in my 3k+ elevation turtle mode starting some point on the way to Old Camp.

There was a TON of foot traffic in Whiting this morning headed to Mustard, and then surprisingly there was a lot of traffic on STT beyond the Luge going to/fro Old Camp. Heck, we even saw 3 4x4's at the top of Cadillac. Even though I was hurting on the road headed back to Whiting, it feels good now (That I'm at home, showered, fed, and sitting) to have gone a bit longer/farther than usual. My quads have that 'it hurts so good' feeling at the moment, although we'll see how long that lasts :)

The downhills were much more conservative given the fatigue levels and traffic on STT, but it was still a good time.

tmp.jpg

temp2.JPG